Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Cool it, sonicc.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Still arguably the best band to emerge out of the 2000s
    you're such a cockhole
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

It's like you're not even trying.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Lykke Li's latest album is pretty solid. It's much more gloomy than I expected and not as poppy as her previous two records. Most of the tracks feature softer percussion and a thinner sound which tends to focus more on her vocals. The real appeal here is that it never seems to drag on with a very short length (9 tracks, 30 min range), making replays pretty easy. Overall, it's very different and unexpected but I like what I've heard after 3 or so listens this week.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    Lykke Li's latest album is pretty solid. It's much more gloomy than I expected and not as poppy as her previous two records. Most of the tracks feature softer percussion and a thinner sound which tends to focus more on her vocals. The real appeal here is that it never seems to drag on with a very short length (9 tracks, 30 min range), making replays pretty easy. Overall, it's very different and unexpected but I like what I've heard after 3 or so listens this week.
    "What I'm saying here is the less Lykke Li the better."
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "What I'm saying here is the less Lykke Li the better."
    When there isn't any balance and the whole record is bleak, sure. I still enjoyed it, but I would have prefered a few tracks that had some more soul or energy. If she had stretched the album out to 40 or 45 minutes it would have been a rough listen.
    Last edited by zachattacks11; 05-01-2014 at 07:59 PM.

The new Swans album is incredibly brutal. Terrifying, intense, unrelenting. Just behemoth. It's now streaming on NPR in full. Check it out if you're not faint of heart. http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308392...ans-to-be-kind
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Anyone waiting around to see if the Slowdive reunion results in new music should check out Hierarchy by Lightfoils. I'm not sure it adds anything new to the shoegaze genre, but when the tunes are this good I find it hard to complain about lack of originality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    New tune-yards feels like her most accessible work so far. I've always had trouble getting into her in the past, but this new album clicked a lot quicker than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I was never down with Merrill's voice and subsequently really disliked her previous albums but I agree: this album is more accessible, and there's actually a few tracks on it that I can get behind. I do like a lot of the looping she does.
    At first I was a bit confused by all these "accessible" comments, as it didn't feel any more accessible than whokill is, but the more I've listened to Nikki Nack I suppose I can see where it comes from as it seems she's streamlined/reeled-in her sound a bit. In other words, the songs are a little more focused and don't have as many odd flourishes within a given track, and that seems to have really worked well as the album is really, really strong. I also cannot wait for ridiculous critical debates which I'm sure "Rocking Chair" will undoubtedly create.

Loving the Brian Eno / Karl Hyde album.

Glenn Kotche, the drummer for Wilco, has released a modern classical album called Adventureland that's really solid. An interesting look into what else he's capable of.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

^going to need to do some research on this
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

I really enjoyed my first listen of the new Black Keys album. Some really great tracks on this one; "Weight of Love" and "Bullet in the Brain" hit my personal classic rock sweet spots about as perfectly as possible. My guess is that I may be in a small minority of people who end up being genuinely enthusiastic about it, though. I have a feeling that they may have doubly screwed themselves by making an album that won't immediately appeal to either of their key audiences. It will be too polished and boring and corporate for the "I just want them to go back to Thickfreakness!" crowd, though I suspect many of those people have already checked out by this point. And the people who came on board for the last two or three albums will probably be disappointed that there's nothing on here that pops like "Tighten Up," or "Lonely Boy," or "Gold on the Ceiling" did; if El Camino capitalized and expanded on the commercial appeal that the band accrued with Brothers, this may well do the opposite.

BUT, if you are looking for a mature record by a big tent, populist rock band (in an era that doesn't have many of those left), one made with poise, confidence, and above all chops, then this album delivers.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Natural Child was a recent discovery. Good, low-key, 70's classic rock that would have sounded good on 8-track (with the colored-light speakers).
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I have a feeling that they may have doubly screwed themselves by making an album that won't immediately appeal to either of their key audiences. It will be too polished and boring and corporate for the "I just want them to go back to Thickfreakness!" crowd, though I suspect many of those people have already checked out by this point. And the people who came on board for the last two or three albums will probably be disappointed that there's nothing on here that pops like "Tighten Up," or "Lonely Boy," or "Gold on the Ceiling" did; if El Camino capitalized and expanded on the commercial appeal that the band accrued with Brothers, this may well do the opposite.
    I think this is a pretty good description of the album. It tries to find a comfortable place somewhere between the last two albums, but to me this one is just really boring. It's not bad, it's just not very interesting. I can't really see myself going back to this any time soon.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

New Bo Ningen, III, now streaming on the Guardian's website: http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...e-album-stream

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Yup.
    Nope.

Respect your opinion as much as anyone's on this board. Definitely one of the last 10 year's strongest recording acts, no denying that. Very adventurous, but a bit too hit and miss due to that adventurousness for me. Microcastle and Halcyon are damn fine records, Monomania solid but just that, Cryptograms outside of the title track and one or two others is a chore.

Their greatest hits album over this stretch would stand with the best of them, but to put these guys above 2004-2014 LCD Soundsystem, Kanye, The National, Nick Cave (if we include Grinderman), or maybe even a few sleeper smaller output/visibility but higher average-album quality choices like Wild Beasts, Grizzly Bear, or Anais Mitchell...no way.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 05-06-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Nick Cave (if we include Grinderman)
    To emerge out of the 2000s.

I would agree with LCD. A lot of people wouldn't agree maybe but... I put TV on the Radio in that discussion.

Nope.

Respect your opinion as much as anyone's on this board. Definitely one of the last 10 year's strongest recording acts, no denying that. Very adventurous, but a bit too hit and miss due to that adventurousness for me. Microcastle and Halcyon are damn fine records, Monomania solid but just that, Cryptograms outside of the title track and one or two others is a chore.

Their greatest hits album over this stretch would stand with the best of them, but to put these guys above 2004-2014 LCD Soundsystem, Kanye, The National, Nick Cave (if we include Grinderman), or maybe even a few sleeper smaller output/visibility but higher average-album quality choices like Wild Beasts, Grizzly Bear, or Anais Mitchell...no way.

Yep ^

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Not to further derail this thread, but I have problems with Deerhunter for reasons I don't understand, so I definitely wouldn't feel compelled to give them this honor. I don't know why, but there is something about their records that are off-putting to me. I continue to try listening every time they are released though. And =for whatever reason, I like both Atlas Sound and Lotus Plaza a lot.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I actually enjoyed each of those last two respective solo albums more than any particular Deerhunter record.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Bradford Cox sits in that rarified Neil Young air in my mind. He shits out pure gold the way most people could shit out Limp Bizkit songs. I'm also an unabashed adorer of Krautrock, Garage Rock, Punk, Psych, 50s Rock and Alt Rock, which is basically the mix that they have perfected.

I could see Deerhunter converting people with their live show, but I will also say that, barring Cryptograms, each Deerhunter album has taken me a few plays to get into. They're a band that has truly blossomed for me with each successive listen.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That Ought album reminds me of a lot of past albums that I really like, but I didn't care for the album itself a ton on first listen.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Also, The Bad Plus' The Rite of Spring is a really wonderful piano-led jazz album. Recommended.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Bradford Cox sits in that rarified Neil Young air in my mind. He shits out pure gold the way most people could shit out Limp Bizkit songs. I'm also an unabashed adorer of Krautrock, Garage Rock, Punk, Psych, 50s Rock and Alt Rock, which is basically the mix that they have perfected.

I could see Deerhunter converting people with their live show, but I will also say that, barring Cryptograms, each Deerhunter album has taken me a few plays to get into. They're a band that has truly blossomed for me with each successive listen.
    Unfortunately the only time I've seen them was the first two-thirds of their 2010 Coachella set, and they had all sorts of audio problems, which on top of the super-fuzzed out tones they were going for that day really hampered the set...I came away liking what I saw of their show, but not overwhelmingly impressed, and thought both Desire Lines and Nothing Ever Happened lacked the extra-oomph one would expect to get seeing those songs performed live...the way Future Islands tracks off of Singles like Doves and Spirit exploded live this year.

I def agree their albums are mostly growers, especially Halcyon which did little for me on first listen but is now probably my favorite of theirs.

Interesting that you compare them to Neil Young...hadn't thought of that, but the risk taking, the stylistic eclecticism, the vocal limitations that are very effectively gotten around...a very apt comparison.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

both Desire Lines and Nothing Ever Happened lacked the extra-oomph one would expect to get seeing those songs performed live
    I definitely disagree re: Nothing Ever Happened (especially at that Coachella set!) but yeah having seen Desire Lines I think 3 times live now it comes off incredibly flat compared to that wonderful studio version.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The new Swans album is incredibly brutal. Terrifying, intense, unrelenting. Just behemoth. It's now streaming on NPR in full. Check it out if you're not faint of heart. http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308392...ans-to-be-kind

This is the third album they've made since reuniting and not one of them have come anywhere close to a bad listen. At this point I'm not sure Swans are even capable of making bad music. Went and bought a ticket for their Detroit show immediately after listening to To Be Kind once. Fuck, this album is so good.