Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    After my first listen I was ready to cast it into the 2014 abyss, but for whatever reason I keep re-listening and, in turn, it's really grown on me. It's Dad/NPR Rock, no doubting that, but I suppose in most cases good songwriting will win out over genres I may not be the most on fire about.
    Check plus. This is 100% how I felt about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Man, the Duck Sauce album is an absolute blast. There's nothing on it that's necessarily better than the singles we already had, it's just a really fun record from beginning to end. Coming soon to a pool party near you.
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thee Oh Sees' Drop is a bit hit and miss for me; it's certainly starts and ends well, with "Penetrating Eye" the barn-burner and "The Lens" showing Dwyer's love for 60s psychedelic pop, but it kind of drags in the middle. It feels like the transitional album it is, and I'm sure their next release (which, knowing him, will probably out before the end of the year!) will be stronger.

One new release I've really enjoyed lately, though, is Bass Clef's latest EP on PAN, Raven Yr Own Worl; it's a bit tongue-in-cheek in terms of its playfulness, but it's still some really engaging modular synth-based acid. Listen to a track here.

And yay for a new DJ Rashad EP! https://soundcloud.com/southernbelle...on-1-sbelle001

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Thee Oh Sees' Drop is a bit hit and miss for me; it's certainly starts and ends well, with "Penetrating Eye" the barn-burner and "The Lens" showing Dwyer's love for 60s psychedelic pop, but it kind of drags in the middle. It feels like the transitional album it is, and I'm sure their next release (which, knowing him, will probably out before the end of the year!) will be stronger.
    I've listened to it twice through and I really like it. It's not the stampede that we're used to from them, but there's a lot to it.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I actually liked it as well but I am not familiar with Thee Oh Sees besides maybe a cursory listen on a prior album or two. Can anyone guide me what albums I should explore next from them?

Well this is after Dwyer's move to LA and he's working with some new cars, Cronin included, so it's not too surprising to hear that it's noticeably different.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Carrion Crawler/The Dream would probably be a good place to start, and really all the albums after it have been quite good too.

Also, I don't think Drop is BAD, but when compared to their last 3 or 4 albums I don't think it's as strong overall. I'm sure the relocation/new band members had something to do with it, and I imagine their next release will be a lot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I actually liked it as well but I am not familiar with Thee Oh Sees besides maybe a cursory listen on a prior album or two. Can anyone guide me what albums I should explore next from them?
    Carrion Crawler/The Dream EP AND Help are great places to start.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Check plus. This is 100% how I felt about it.
    I'm still waiting to feel that way. The tone of the album keeps me coming back but it hasn't locked me in. I revisit it every couple of weeks. We'll see.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Castlemania after those. ^
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Has anyone else listened to this new SBTRKT EP Transitions? It's 6 instrumental tracks, and while half are quite similar to his last LP "Gamalena," "Highs and Lows," and "Stifle" show some growth in his sound. I guess he's releasing a new album this year too and I wouldn't mind if it was less vocal-heavy this time around.

You can stream it here, and be sure to left-click anywhere on the page too: http://transitions.sbtrkt.com/

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

New tune-yards feels like her most accessible work so far. I've always had trouble getting into her in the past, but this new album clicked a lot quicker than I expected.

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

I was never down with Merrill's voice and subsequently really disliked her previous albums but I agree: this album is more accessible, and there's actually a few tracks on it that I can get behind. I do like a lot of the looping she does.

I'm all about Szare - Carved in Those Dancing Gravestones on first listen. Danceable techno with various world music influences thrown in.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I'm all about Szare - Carved in Those Dancing Gravestones on first listen. Danceable techno with various world music influences thrown in.
    One of the better continuous mixes I've heard this year, podcast, live set, CD or otherwise.

The Damon Albarn album is immediately appealing, dude is a natural born songwriter to be still making stuff that's engaging on first listen after all these years, but I don't know how it'll play on repeat listens/over time. There's nothing you haven't heard from him before and it feels like it could end up being pretty forgettable, but for now it's pretty enjoyable.

The Antlers - Familiars has some really overwrought moments and some really damned nice ones. They seem like they're settling into a groove similar to the National's, only more insular, where they're content to churn out consistently good albums of mope rock that don't really break the mold of what they do but are full of enough good songs that it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the processed guitar on the new Fennesz, but I'll have to give it more time when I'm less drowsy/drugged up on cough syrup.

Finally, I hope HTRK - Psychic 9-5 Club gets more attention because it is fucking sexy. With all this generic electro-pop going around, it's refreshing to hear some r&b inspired synth pop that's got a full bodied sound and some distinctive songs. It's all very dark and introverted and strung out and kind of a bummer, and would probably be good to listen to on painkillers with a broken heart. Fuck your Chvrches, this is some real shit.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Ought's debut is fantastic. It's streaming on Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/advance/404-mor...any-other-day/
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

The new Lord Mantis album is pretty excellent, evil and heavy sludge metal. I was impressed with every single track.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The Horror's new LP Luminous is pretty fantastic. It's pretty much a familiar sound sprinkled with much more upbeat energy. First Day of Spring was a blast to listen to with a dream beat that really carries the song, plus cool sounding guitars and a really spacey change in tempo towards the end. In and Out of Sight has a 80's underground disco vibe to it. Of course I See You is a trippy rock song with a great chorus and lots of well placed psychedelic elements. This band is doing it right
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

I finally got my copy of Withered Hand's New Gods and it's great. It ranges from fun, jangly, indie-pop to to slower, softer, almost folk. Lots of excellent harmonies that lend to the album's California feel, along with some of the lyrical themes. "Black Tambourine" was one of my favorite songs last year and remains so in 2014.

I randomly stumbled upon Moon B's II, which is basically a lo-fi, 80's funk instrumental record. The beats are dusty and a bit minimal but still very funky and melodic. Been hard for me to put this one down.

I've also been listening to a lot of BADBADNOTGOOD's new album, III, lately. It's the first BBNG album that hasn't been comprised of cover songs, and it's easily their best work. Part of it sounds like they're trying to replicate the source material that would've been sampled by 90's hip-hop producers (this is a good thing), part of it sounds a little like 50's/60's jazz, and then the rest of it is their own jazz/rock/hip-hop/electronic instrumental sound that they've been improving on up until now. It's great driving music.

This shit is so fucking horrible, I don't even know where to start.

OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

So maybe you should just ignore it and instead tell us about a record that you do like?
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

The thread title doesnt say "Tell Us About 2014 Releases You Like."
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Picked up Damon Albarn on vinyl and am not disappointed in this release. It is a great listen.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    The thread title doesnt say "Tell Us About 2014 Releases You Like."
    Do you really want this thread to be full of youtube videos with people saying, "this song sucks!"?
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I just didn't want to create or bump a thread for Coldplay, they don't deserve it.

But here's something new I like, it's from Mexico:

Sonido San Francisco - Sentimiento Electronico

http://open.spotify.com/album/5FSYWfTudn4tMC6IQcxypc

Sonido San Francisco is great live band, they have been touring for the past 2 year but they barely released their first LP. It's pretty much live EDM with a STRONG influence of cumbia, tropical and latin rhythms. Songs like Sonidero Total, Sonito Turbo, Sentimiento Electronico start with strong synth leads and quickly transform into kitsch versions of traditional cumbia while still maintaining a nice danceable beat.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Found out about Nux Vomica from Drinkey on fb. Their self-titled album is fantastic. Only 3 tracks but it was good enough that I actually paid for it.

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    So maybe you should just ignore it and instead tell us about a record that you do like?
    It's what the internet was created for, isn't it? Back in the day if someone didn't like something they'd move on, now everyone's gotta know just how horrible everything is.

Are you people so joyless as to not let hate into your lives?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Ought's debut is fantastic. It's streaming on Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/advance/404-mor...any-other-day/
    Love this album, I've listened to it several times through and can't get enough.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ialvarado2 View Post
    I just didn't want to create or bump a thread for Coldplay, they don't deserve it.
    Still arguably the best band to emerge out of the 2000s
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana