Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

The Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks record is decent at best. I suppose if you're an uberfan it'll be satisfying, but at first glance it all sounds the same and wears out its welcome pretty quickly. Not nearly as interesting or dense as Down There was.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    While Tame Impala's popularity has spawned bands like Temples who kind of just ape the style without much substance, I suppose the flip side is that it is also partly responsible for solid psychedelic albums like Ghosts by The Vickers.
    Listened to this today. There were definitely a few spots where it got extremely Tame Impala-y and I nearly checked out, but then this really awesome sounding stuff would happen and I'd stay tuned. Not a bad record overall.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The new Afghan Whigs and Ratking are the only things I can listen to right now. I was already looking forward to seeing both of them at Coachella and now I'm even more excited.

Ben Frost's "A U R O R A" was the best, most fun first listen to an album I have had in 3, maybe 4 years. I was completely astonished, thrilled, and blown away. The album has elements of noise, modern classical, ambient, and drone, and some very melodic parts too, and it's just super intense and rewarding. Anyone who liked Tim Hecker's last two albums would enjoy this I feel. Also, it features Greg Fox, the ex-drummer from Liturgy, and Thor from Swans (you know... Thor, the dude with a hammer). I cannot recommend this enough.

I assume you know that Ben Frost contributed to the last Hecker album. And that you've heard his previous album, By The Throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I knew that he (produced?) the last Hecker album, but this is the first Ben Frost album I have heard.

Dauwd's Kindlinn EP out on Kompakt is enjoyable. Standard shimmery Kompakt sound. https://soundcloud.com/kompakt/sets/dauwd-kindlinn-ep
    Last edited by guedita; 04-07-2014 at 02:19 PM.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

It's Diamond Dave by A Better Tomorrow is a really, really good beats/samples/whatever you call it album. I randomly heard a song from it on KCRW on the way home tonight, and the album's up on Spotify. Highly recommended.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Ben Frost's "A U R O R A" was the best, most fun first listen to an album I have had in 3, maybe 4 years. I was completely astonished, thrilled, and blown away. The album has elements of noise, modern classical, ambient, and drone, and some very melodic parts too, and it's just super intense and rewarding.
    Listened to this today. We have different definitions for words, haha. An excellent record, don't get me wrong - but it was extremely aggressive (near industrial at times), really intense and at no point during my listen to it did I consider it "fun" (yeah that joke, ra ra ra). A really good album though, not anywhere near tops of this year for me but it's a stunning piece nonetheless.

Also, that Freddie Gibbs/Madlib record is fantastic. I wasn't super familiar with Gibbs prior to listening but I'm a Madlib fanboy so this was an easy fit. Some great spots from Earl Sweatshirt and Casey Veggies from the Odd Future crew.

Also also, the new Black Lips record is the most I've enjoyed that band to date. I've never been bowled over by them, the one show I saw was kind of whatever, and I don't think I had actually sat down with a full album front to back of theirs until today. Really liked this one though.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 04-08-2014 at 08:46 PM.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I really, really enjoyed Ben Frost's A U R O R A too. Reminds me a lot of Fuck Bottons. I listened to it twice today and love it.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Listened to this today. We have different definitions for words, haha. An excellent record, don't get me wrong - but it was extremely aggressive (near industrial at times), really intense and at no point during my listen to it did I consider it "fun" (yeah that joke, ra ra ra).
    I was just constantly surprised and amazed by this record, I was smiling the whole time and quite honestly at points (I was in my car) I would yell out things like "holy shit!" or "amazing". It was incredibly thrilling and fun for me - for real.

Also, I really think those of you who were disappointed with Tycho's "Awake" should give it another shot. I have put it on ocassionally since it came out and it's really grown on me a ton. I liked it initially but the songs sit by those on Dive quite comfortably now, it really feels wonderful to listen to and it's one of my favorite releases of the year.

That Freddie Gibbs/Madlib was the first time I really exposed myself to Gibbs full on as well, but I didn't respond to it. To me, it just seemed full of young thug cliches that bored the fuck out of me. Same with YG. Shit like that makes me feel like the whitest dude in honkytown. It really just seems like the same "***** dick bitches" shit that makes radio rap so boring most of the time, just with better beats. Maybe I'm missing something essential, but I just don't hear anything compelling lyrically. It doesn't even frame those cliches in an interesting way. Their flows are sloppy and uninspired. Whatever, get off my lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Manchester Orchestra released COPE a few days ago. jus sayin
    Last edited by dillycup; 04-09-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: i suck

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    Manchester Orchestra released COPE a few days ago. jus sayin
    This kind of post isn't helpful, if you want to tell us something you liked about the album, please do so.

The new Protomartyr album is a pretty swell post-punk companion to Eagulls: less shouty and abrasive, but with a quieter tension that has more in common with Magazine or Young Marble Giants.

And the new Elbow album continues to grow on me. It's not as immediately accessible as some of their earlier albums, but there's some seriously beautiful stuff on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    This kind of post isn't helpful, if you want to tell us something you liked about the album, please do so.
    BUT HE'S JUST SAYIN'
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I have listened to a lot of records the last couple days:

Afghan Whigs' Do The Beast is terrific - I like they they are really pushing the R&B sound on this one, yet still really rock the fuck out.

The Hold Steady's Teeth Dreams is very enjoyable rock music - I don't have the problem with their newer work that a lot seem to have, so i'm not sure how those that do will feel about it. It has a very "Americana" feel to it to me.

Tycho's Awake is really pretty. I especially like the up-tempo stuff in the beginning. The fact that the instrumentation never changes an dis fairly sparse does lead it to start sounds very samey by the end of the recored though.

Todd Terje's It's Album Time is a bit inconsistent to me - there are are about 4 or 5 songs that I really do not like, like they are sonically offensive to me. But the rest of it I think it really fantastic. There are some really awesome synth sounds on this. Unlike the Tycho album, this is really all over the place musically.This is the first time I have listened to Terje.

Squarepusher's Music For Robots is really, really cool. It is certainly different from his past work, though recently his releases seem to be trying to movie away from the IDM/drum n bass sounds that the bulk of his career reflected. in case you don't know, this album ws programmed by him to be played by a trio of japanese robotic musicians called Z-Machines (they are sponsored by Zima, i think? Weird). The guitar player has something like 96 fingers. Essentially it's like an extremely complicated jazz combo, but the music gets more and more frenetic over the course of the ep.

Cloud Cult's Unplug is an acoustic live album, featuring really gorgeous arrangements of a great selection of their work, featuring a lot of strings. It's a really nice representation of their catalog, with nice little stories and asides between the songs.

Ben Frost's A U R O R A is a massive beast of an electronic album. It is pretty aggressive, thumbing soundscapes similar to Fuck Buttons and The Suicide of Western Culture. Though somewhat chaotic and very dark it does remain fairly melodic throughout the entire album, so it's pretty listenable for a noise piece.

Manchester Orchestra - Cope - i used to really be into these guys, then sort of stopped listening. i checked this out the other day, and though, "oh yeah, this band is really good," but upon further reflection, i don't really have much to say about it. if you like their other albums, you should like this one, because it really is more of the same.

Fairweather's new self-titled album is their first in 10 years. It starts out as more of a straight-forward punk album than I expected, but it expands more as the album progresses. When the female and male singers **** pong their vocals back and forth, this band works the best. Otherwise it sounds a bit generic and dated.

The Horror's Luminous is really exceptional. They took what they started on Skying and just went further with it. There are less in the way of synth and more dreamy guitar work. Definitely evocative of Echo & The Bunnymen's best work.

Wild Beasts' Present Tense is extremely enjoyable. The higher registered vocals ( i am not sure if there are one or two singers)remind me a lot of Martin Gore. While there are a lot of synths and programmed music on this, it doesn't really sound specifically like an 80s albums, though there are definitely similarities.

Crosses self-titled full length is okay as a package, but has great moments. Chino Moreno sounds great on vocals, but i think electronic elements could be a lot more interesting. The album works best when the guitars kick in and gets really heavy. There are some great build-ups and crescendos here and there on it.

St. Vincent's self-titled is really interesting. This is the first time I've listened to her work, and I really enjoy how varied it is. i need to listened to it more to properly discuss it, but my initial reaction was that i really enjoyed it.

Sun Kil Moon's Benji will take some time for me to get into, and probably require me to really be in the right mood for it to click with me. It's fairly sparse musically with the vocals mixed very loud, so the lyrics are front and center on this. My first listen, i didn't really like it. but when I relistened to the first few tracks, the frankness of the stories being told were refreshing.

William Fitzsimmons' Lions could be described as more of the same from him, though this one roc ks a bit more than his other releases, adn he is a consistently good songwriter and vocalist.

The War On Drugs' Lost In The Dream gets batter with each listen. It's more polished ion its production than the last album, yet feels more rooted in the past somehow. Very solid '70s America rockin' tunes though.
    last.fm

I really enjoyed Ryler Walker's "All Kinds of You" which will be released on Tompkins Square on Tuesday and is streaming for free here until then: http://www.self-titledmag.com/2014/0...is-commentary/

I get some clear Nick Drake vibes (circa Bryter Layer) on a few of these tracks, also "Twin Oaks Part 1" is a fucking jam and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with 2014 releases, but I stumbled upon Alpaca Sports' debut LP, Sealed With A Kiss. This is straight up indie pop that's ever so twee. Nice and simple, so cute you'll either sing along in bliss or go crazy.
    Thanks. As a Mates of State fan, I'm digging this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The Hold Steady's Teeth Dreams is very enjoyable rock music - I don't have the problem with their newer work that a lot seem to have, so i'm not sure how those that do will feel about it. It has a very "Americana" feel to it to me.
    wat

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I haven't listened to it yet, but that seems odd to me.

Those of you who have any predilection towards metal whatsoever would do well to listen to the new Triptykon - Melana Chasmata. It's forward thinking metal (indefinable subgenre) at its best. And the songwriter was Celtic Frost, so if you like metal you should like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I guess I was probably using the wrong word when I said "Americana." There is something very old-fashioned about the album to me, but not old-timey.
    last.fm

BUT HE'S JUST SAYIN'
    this is true, i was jus sayin

I'm digging the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart. It's a lot more fun than their self-titled.

I guess I was probably using the wrong word when I said "Americana." There is something very old-fashioned about the album to me, but not old-timey.
    I get what you are saying. It's not Americana like the genre, but Americana like embodying something American. More of a fuller, produced classic rock sound, than the more spare indie rock of their earlier stuff. I love where the Hold Steady started, but I'm into the new direction, too. Teeth Dreams makes Heaven is Whenever seem like more of a transition album.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Neutron View Post
    It's not Americana like the genre, but Americana like embodying something American.
    Well, the term Americana is nearly always referring to the genre. Not a bad album, but Genericana is a more apt term if anything.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The War On Drugs' Lost In The Dream gets batter with each listen. It's more polished ion its production than the last album, yet feels more rooted in the past somehow. Very solid '70s America rockin' tunes though.
    Agreed. I'm surprised at all the hate it got when initially released.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Agreed. I'm surprised at all the hate it got when initially released.
    After my first listen I was ready to cast it into the 2014 abyss, but for whatever reason I keep re-listening and, in turn, it's really grown on me. It's Dad/NPR Rock, no doubting that, but I suppose in most cases good songwriting will win out over genres I may not be the most on fire about.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    After my first listen I was ready to cast it into the 2014 abyss, but for whatever reason I keep re-listening and, in turn, it's really grown on me. It's Dad/NPR Rock, no doubting that, but I suppose in most cases good songwriting will win out over genres I may not be the most on fire about.
    I hate to damn it with faint praise, but The War on Drugs's album is one of those that is really nice to start out the work day with.

The new Fennesz album, Becs, is incredible and moving and dense and everything that he's so good at. My new #1 for the year at this point.

The BADBADNOTGOOD album is also wonderful...it seems like it'd be easy to coast into that smooth jazz/easy listening territory with the sound they work with, but they always manage to keep things interesting and never go down that path. I'd be really interested in seeing them live in a space with great acoustics.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare