Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The new EMA, on first listen, was as interesting and oddly catchy as Past Life, Martyred Saints. She's somewhat more subdued, which isn't a bad thing. It'll take me a few spins to really have any opinion on it, but it made me look forward to the next listen.
    The Future's Void has me hooked. It definitely feels a lot darker and more impersonal, but I like her transition from the stripped down grungy riffs on Past Life to using a lot more synth and some great drum tracks on this album. I could listen to "Cthulu" and "Neuromancer" on repeat.
    8/23-8/24 - FYF Fest
    10/24-10/26 - Life is Beautiful Fest
    11/10 - Death From Above 1979

I tried listening to Perfect Pussy and could barely get passed two songs before thinking to myself that this is a waste of valuable time and could be listening to Nation of Ulysses. I like that there's a female singer but couldn't get into it.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

It is very soft grunge.
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 03-27-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

2014's really started to pick up for me, so here are a few short reviews:

D/P/I – 08.DD.15: it's a bit difficult to know how to describe this album, and I suppose James Ferraro and the last OPN would be a decent enough jumping off point in terms of the sounds heard, but basically this is a really amazing, brisk foray into sound design and editing through the use of treated/clipped vocal and instrumental loops with a bit of noise thrown in there too. Headphone music for sure, and an album which will reward your close attention.

Ekoplekz - Unfidelity: the lastest LP from Planet Mu, one which shares the label's sense of carefree sonic adventure and experimentation but ultimately hasn't compelled me to return to it much.

Endo Kame – Music 4 Eon Green: I found this one digging through Beer on the Rug's BandCamp page, so there's not much out about it, but those who like the murkier side of techno will really enjoy this release. There are 7 tracks but really it's just one, long piece which begins with a lot of texture but finds its dancing shoes 6 or 7 minutes in.

Millie & Andrea – Drop the Vowels: unknown already mentioned this one a page or two ago, but I just want to echo was a fantastic release it is.

The Stevens – A History of Hygiene: I really just cannot get enough of this one; of all the "throwback" rock albums of the year this one is probably my favorite.

For those who wish Justin Vernon would finish up his many side projects and stick to Bon Iver, Vancouver Sleep Clinic's debut EP Winter is for you. In fact, I'm still not 100% convinced that this isn't actually Justin Vernon. Surprisingly very good but minus points for sounding like an exact clone and also not being from Vancouver but rather Australia. Still I have listened to it a couple times now and feel okay with the blatant rip off and deceit.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgumslover View Post
    I found my, so far, album of the year today. Campo-Formio! - here comes​.​.​. Campo​-​Formio!. Campo-Formio! is a small Puerto Rican rock band and this is their debut record. It came out about a week ago and seriously rules.

It's psychedelic rock with elements of garage, new wave, surf, and post-rock. The hooks are catchy, although they are in Spanish. Also notable is the presence of synths, sort of like Holograms. Hater -> Pelagius is probably the best 10 minutes of music I have heard in a long time. Unfortunately, they don't allow for the album to be streamed on bandcamp and a digital download is $15... but it is up on ? and I can't recommend this album enough. A seriously refreshing listen and is worth the download.
    Thanks soo much for this recommendation, just got this yesterday and its such an explosive album from the start, tight band, great lyrics!
    i've grouped it btw

"ay nena me vuelve loco tus piernasssss!"por que eres traviesa con potencia de ser una Femme Fatale!"
    Papi Piratón!

Master Sultan presents a beautiful post rock landscape reminiscent of an unpolished Velvet Teen...this small 6 track album is raw and well tied together

http://mastersultanband.bandcamp.com...hat-im-older-2
    Papi Piratón!

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I tried listening to Perfect Pussy and could barely get passed two songs before thinking to myself that this is a waste of valuable time and could be listening to Nation of Ulysses. I like that there's a female singer but couldn't get into it.
    Yeah, there's so many bands that do it better. The chick sounds a lot like Yasuko from Melt-Banana as well. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just noticed it while listening.

7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar
    7/19 - Wolves In The Throne Room @ Che Cafe
    8/5 - Arcade Fire, Spoon, Dan Deacon @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/21 - NIN, Soundgarden, Death Grips @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/22 - Future Islands @ Irenic
    8/23~24 - FYF

While Tame Impala's popularity has spawned bands like Temples who kind of just ape the style without much substance, I suppose the flip side is that it is also partly responsible for solid psychedelic albums like Ghosts by The Vickers. It's not mind-blowing or anything, but there are some really solid songs on here and the "psych tropes" which are used feel much more integrated within each song rather than just being there to say "Wow, listen to how cool this vintage Echoplex EP-3 we dug up sounds." Steam it here.

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Master Sultan presents a beautiful post rock landscape reminiscent of an unpolished Velvet Teen...this small 6 track album is raw and well tied together

http://mastersultanband.bandcamp.com...hat-im-older-2
    This album is great. Sounds somewhat like The Appleseed Cast since it is a post-rock/emo record but these guys are much more on the Chicago post-rock side of things. Thanks for posting this.

The Future's Void is amazing. I really feel like I've heard "So Blonde" before; it is very striking.

This is going to get me to go to her show in a few weeks.

EDIT: OK, fine, I have heard "So Blonde" before; it was one of the early tracks available on Spotify.

But whatever; this album is intense and gorgeous and I love it. I does not feel more subdued than PLMS but on the same page, mostly.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 03-31-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I listened to it twice this weekend and I'm firmly on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I could write a review on the new Swans To Be Kind Album but after listening to a few songs in my work van today I decided that I need to listen to the whole album a couple more times.I'm glad that they didn't just have Anne Clark sing a song and have it be similar to Karen O appearence in The Seer but instead Anne is backup vocals for quite a few songs.With that said, Oxygen was my favorite track on my first listen.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-31-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I haven't been keeping up with 2014 releases, but I stumbled upon Alpaca Sports' debut LP, Sealed With A Kiss. This is straight up indie pop that's ever so twee. Nice and simple, so cute you'll either sing along in bliss or go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

I could write a review on the new Swans To Be Kind Album but after listening to a few songs in my work van today I decided that I need to listen to the whole album a couple more times.I'm glad that they didn't just have Anne Clark sing a song and have it be similar to Karen O appearence in The Seer but instead Anne is backup vocals for quite a few songs.With that said, Oxygen was my favorite track on my first listen.
    How can you possibly get anything out of a 92kbps rip??
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, like, how were you even able to distinguish the various sounds? Could you even tell a guitar was playing?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Yeah, like, how were you even able to distinguish the various sounds? Could you even tell a guitar was playing?
    Listen to a 92kbps rip of Blomma and tell me it's fine.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

getbetter: you'll need to listen to a FLAC version of the album before you're able to decide whether or not you like Annie Clark being on multiple backing tracks rather than just one song. You'll also need to listen to a FLAC version before you decide to state your intention to listen to the album a few more times before coming to your final consensus. Also, Oxygen was not your favorite track on first listen. Sorry to break it you, buddy.

Moving on.

Rize Vadzimu Rize by Chimurenga Renaissance is the first flat-out bad album that I've heard this year. It's a side project of one of the Shabazz Palaces dudes, and it's really just awful. I was really excited to listen to it, and it does make me happy that it's not a full-on SP record, but now I'm going to be pretty hesitant when they announce another album.

On the other hand, Guilty of Everything by Nothing is fucking fantastic. It is yet another '90s influenced album, but it's another that I don't at all have a problem with. It's a loud, incredibly honest shoegaze record that I can't recommend enough.

This song in particular is just stellar:

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

James Place's An Entire Matchbook a Night is an ambient techno/house release on Opal Tapes, with some really moody acid moments. It's a bit creepy, actually. Recommended for anyone who feels like traversing down a dark hole for a bit.
    Last edited by guedita; 03-31-2014 at 09:23 PM.

James Place's An Entire Matchbook a Night is an ambient techno release on Opal Tapes, with some really moody acid moments. It's a bit creepy, actually. Recommended for anyone who feels like traversing down a dark hole for a bit.
    I just tried finding some information on that album tonight but everything kept popping up with recommendations for Matchbox 20 (Matchbook...Matchbox, who fucking knows). Thanks, I'll give it a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    I just tried finding some information on that album tonight but everything kept popping up with recommendations for Matchbox 20 (Matchbook...Matchbox, who fucking knows). Thanks, I'll give it a listen.
    http://opaltapes.bandcamp.com/album/...chbook-a-night

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Moving on.

On the other hand, Guilty of Everything by Nothing is fucking fantastic. It is yet another '90s influenced album, but it's another that I don't at all have a problem with. It's a loud, incredibly honest shoegaze record that I can't recommend enough.
    Very into Nothing and this album. Mad at myself that I didn't go a couple weeks ago when they came to Richmond.

Has anyone listened to the newest Jacco Gardner? I could see and completely understand him being labeled a "boring retread of old music" ala Temples but I found this record to be quite enjoyable for the most part (some of it is rather forgettable, though). Reminds me a bit of the Zombies.

EDIT* Just realized Cabinet of Curiosities is a 2013 release. Oh well.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 04-01-2014 at 11:33 AM.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by fudgumslover View Post
    I found my, so far, album of the year today. Campo-Formio! - here comes​.​.​. Campo​-​Formio!. Campo-Formio! is a small Puerto Rican rock band and this is their debut record. It came out about a week ago and seriously rules.

It's psychedelic rock with elements of garage, new wave, surf, and post-rock. The hooks are catchy, although they are in Spanish. Also notable is the presence of synths, sort of like Holograms. Hater -> Pelagius is probably the best 10 minutes of music I have heard in a long time. Unfortunately, they don't allow for the album to be streamed on bandcamp and a digital download is $15... but it is up on ? and I can't recommend this album enough. A seriously refreshing listen and is worth the download.
    This was alright, although I felt like it was a little long and they couldn't really decide on a sound so they just tried a bunch of different things. Some times that can be a lot of fun, but it more came off like a lack of real identity here. With some trimming and some focus, they could have something really enjoyable. Still not a bad listen as is though.

Listened to the new Ben Frost, and if you like him, you'll probably dig the new one, A U R O R A. Atmospheric, melodic noise and techno inspired soundscapes.

Also, enjoyed the album from Carla Bozulich, who also records as Evangelista. It's called Boy. They're not exactly the same or anything, but I feel like people who are into Chelsea Wolfe would respond to this. Dark folk leaning, post punk inspired singer songwriter stuff that's kind of hard to pin down.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Polar Bear’s In Each and Every One is an engaging experimental jazz album. I found their use of electronics help keep focus and complimented the jazz elements nicely but never distracted or overpowered. The album started off well to prepare my mind for some of the more challenging or grating moments in the album, but also helped me get in the appropriate mindset to appreciate the chaotic textures of the more accessible tracks for an experimental jazz record. I’d imagine this record is somewhat a more personal listen unless with someone who is open minded or appreciates jazz. I can also see someone telling you to turn this off in less then a minute. Will listen again.

I can't stop listening to the new Cloud Nothings.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

http://youtu.be/sRbnAxrS3EM

first track on JW's upcoming. shit should be shweet

Don't know if it's been covered on here yet but the new Deep Dish track is great.

The Millie & Andrea album is the shit. So is the Wen album. Dance music has been much more interesting from a buying perspective for me for the past year and a half or so.