Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Really digging Millie & Andrea's Drop the Vowels (Miles Whittaker & Andy Stott album on Modern Love). Nice elements of jungle, techno, and dub. Some of it reminds me of Stott's Up The Box and other parts are quite atmospheric and spacey.
    Good to hear, I really enjoyed Miles' LP and EP from last year.

Best of 2014 http://www.young-fathers.com

This album is fantastic.

Kool AD - Word ok. A damn solid listen. Not as hooky as maybe 19 or 53. But definetly a solid listen if at all interested in some laxidasical lyrical hip hop.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Really digging Millie & Andrea's Drop the Vowels (Miles Whittaker & Andy Stott album on Modern Love). Nice elements of jungle, techno, and dub. Some of it reminds me of Stott's Up The Box and other parts are quite atmospheric and spacey.
    Really glad this did not sound like the EP just released. I can dig this.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The new Coffinworm album IV.I.VIII is just insane. It starts with a noisy, ugly guitar riff and a blood-curdling scream and doesn't let up the whole time. They combine great elements of doom, sludge, death and black metals into a really heavy and really interesting whole. I fucking loved it.
    Thank you for recommending this. This album is fantastic. Perfect blend of doom and black.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I don't think there has been enough discussion of the new Mac Demarco album. Salad Days is excellent from to back. Demarco basically takes everything that was great about 2 and amplifies them. He has refined his formula and expanded his sound and the result is avant-pop bliss. Maybe "avant-pop" isn't exactly the right word to describe the album, but I can't think of anything better right now. Anyways, the song writing is excellent, his wit is sharp, and the album is full of good vibes. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I don't think there has been enough discussion of the new Mac Demarco album. Salad Days is excellent from to back. Demarco basically takes everything that was great about 2 and amplifies them. He has refined his formula and expanded his sound and the result is avant-pop bliss. Maybe "avant-pop" isn't exactly the right word to describe the album, but I can't think of anything better right now. Anyways, the song writing is excellent, his wit is sharp, and the album is full of good vibes. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
    ahhhh I didn't know it leaked. I gotta listen to this ASAP.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Yeah, the lack of discussion is because until today all that's been out there has been a transcode. And even that hasn't been around for that long.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Really? Some friends of mine have been sharing it for the past couple weeks. We were listening to it all last week at our house in Austin for SXSW. Then again… Demarco is from Vancouver and some of the guys I was staying with were friends with him from his Makeout Videotape days. Guess that is where they got it. I hadn't thought of that until now.

Anyways, the album is excellent.

EDIT: I guess I should also add #humblebrag to this.
    Last edited by rage patton; 03-23-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The conspiracy of chill dudes from Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the appeal of Mac DeMarco. The whole slacker/dirtbag thing is tired, and the tunes aren't great. Someone feel free to shed some light on why they like him for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the appeal of Mac DeMarco. The whole slacker/dirtbag thing is tired, and the tunes aren't great. Someone feel free to shed some light on why they like him for me.
    Seconded.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I never liked anything Mac DeMarco had done until I heard the first single for his latest record, which I really loved. The rest of the album did absolutely nothing for me, though. His image/sound or whatever aren't what turns me off, I just don't think the songs are any good (except the single).

The Tacocat album is fun. It reminds me a bit of Best Coast, if Best Coast actually wrote compelling pop songs.

What I enjoy most about 2, beyond the really memorable hooks, are some of the unexpected choices he makes like quirky vocal melodies or somewhat odd chord/lead progressions; "Annie" and "My Kind of Woman" are good illustrations of these characteristics, and are some of my favorite songs on that album. It's nothing revelatory, but there's enough personal flourishes to set it apart from some others in the genre.

With that said, I'm about half way through Salad Days and it really hasn't grabbed me as much; it's a bit more diverse instrumentally, which is nice I suppose, but it's leaving me rather flat.

The main Mac attraction for me is the live shows. I like the tunes, but the shows are just so much damn fun. So many random covers thrown in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    YG's My Krazy Life is probably the best West Coast party rap record since Dre's 2001. It's impeccably produced, mostly by DJ Mustard, who combines bay area, southern and classic West Coast hip-hop production styles into his own sound. It's polished, crisp, and incredibly infectious. YG is a good rapper and even better songwriter. He sounds as good here as he ever has. It's great summertime music. I don't see myself taking this record out of my regular rotation until it finally gets cold again. So, probably never.
    I enjoyed this record too. Reminds me of a Quik album
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    The main Mac attraction for me is the live shows. I like the tunes, but the shows are just so much damn fun. So many random covers thrown in.
    I was going to type out a big long explanation, but basically this. I wasn't a fan of Mac Demarco until I saw him live. First time I listened to 2 it bored the shit out of me. Live is a completely different beast though. He is an incredibly charming, engaging, and funny performer and, as Chris mentioned, his cover choices are excellent and hilarious.

With that being said, after seeing him I enjoyed 2, but didn't love it. Salad Days, on the other hand, has completely won me over.

Anyways, blah blah blah. Just watch this video. If it isn't the most adorable thing you have ever witnessed, then forget about ever liking Mac Demarco. Watch it all the way until the end.

P.S. When asked about this song, Demarco said it had been a lifelong dream of his to work the melody from "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" into one of his own songs. He achieved it here.

I mean, I get why that is entertaining on one level. But yeah, not for me. I do appreciate the explanations, though.

The new War On Drugs is crazy good. So warm and inviting and simply fun to listen to. It will get some serious spins in the car this spring.

Yeah, it's the thing I've been revisiting the most this year, and there's already been quite a bit of good stuff out.

The new EMA, on first listen, was as interesting and oddly catchy as Past Life, Martyred Saints. She's somewhat more subdued, which isn't a bad thing. It'll take me a few spins to really have any opinion on it, but it made me look forward to the next listen.

mac demarcos cover of Blackbird was one of the most abrasively wonderful things I've ever seen. He is great live. Taking one of my best friends to see him and she really likes his soft side, but i have no idea how she will react to him live.

The new EMA, on first listen, was as interesting and oddly catchy as Past Life, Martyred Saints. She's somewhat more subdued, which isn't a bad thing. It'll take me a few spins to really have any opinion on it, but it made me look forward to the next listen.
    I've only given this one listen as well, but absolutely loved my first spin. She seems to have grown up quite a bit, musically, lyrically and production-wise, since Past Life, Martyred Saints. I definitely look forward to giving this more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    mac demarcos cover of Blackbird was one of the most abrasively wonderful things I've ever seen. He is great live. Taking one of my best friends to see him and she really likes his soft side, but i have no idea how she will react to him live.
    The one time I have seen him, he did a medley of covers that began with Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take 5," which then lead into Tool's "Schism," and then into Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff," and then he ended with "Blackbird." It was remarkable, to say the least.
    Last edited by rage patton; 03-23-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Stream a new Lotus Plaza 25-minute cassette thingy here.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I found my, so far, album of the year today. Campo-Formio! - here comes​.​.​. Campo​-​Formio!. Campo-Formio! is a small Puerto Rican rock band and this is their debut record. It came out about a week ago and seriously rules.

It's psychedelic rock with elements of garage, new wave, surf, and post-rock. The hooks are catchy, although they are in Spanish. Also notable is the presence of synths, sort of like Holograms. Hater -> Pelagius is probably the best 10 minutes of music I have heard in a long time. Unfortunately, they don't allow for the album to be streamed on bandcamp and a digital download is $15... but it is up on ? and I can't recommend this album enough. A seriously refreshing listen and is worth the download.
    Last edited by fudgumslover; 03-24-2014 at 06:36 PM.

The Sisyphus album is pretty goofy...there are decent parts where Sufjan does his thing over layers of electronic textures, etc, but the rapping is completely trite and amateur. Not a bad listen, but an album that I won't be returning to.

And yeah, that Liars record is fucking outstanding.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

How is this Liars record getting such shitty reviews? Anyone know of a place that actually enjoyed it?

Quote Originally Posted by mahhhc View Post
    How is this Liars record getting such shitty reviews? Anyone know of a place that actually enjoyed it?
    http://www.metacritic.com/music/mess/liars

spin liked it
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by mahhhc View Post
    My place.

My household as well.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH