Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

I have some thoughts on several albums and pretty much all of them are positive.

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream: This album is super sonically pleasing and catchy. But there's still something a bit Don Henly about it all that keeps me from fully losing myself in it. I think once I get over that and settle in I'll be good. The production is really warm which makes me kind of wanna get the LP because I know it's going to jump out at you and nestle softly in your ears. This warrants way more listens.

Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else: This is one of my favorites so far and I fully connect with Dylan's lyrics. He writes some of the most memorable melodies. It feels so good to hear songs concerned with self preservation and moving past sulking. Simple sentiments come across strong in this one. It's more straight forward and aggressive. I love it. Can we mention the drumming on this and Attack On Memory? He is sneaky good. And I dunno what's going on with the way he he crashes his ride cymbal but it certainly fills up a lot of space during the builds. This may just be me. Killer record overall.

Sun Kil Moon - Benji: My favorite release so far. Not a lot I can say that hasn't already been expressed here. I do want to express some counter to the feelings of certain lyrics that could be deemed cringeworthy. I think the bluntness of Mark's thoughts should be taken at face value. And while he can be extremely clever and poetic, most lines are just him telling it like it is. It's writing exactly what you're thinking with seemingly little editing. There's something really cool about that. When he's talking about a good fuck and oral sex on Dogs, it's such an honest and common male reflection on past loves it's scary how spot on he is. Whether or not other listeners feel like it's too much or undeserving to be written about, that's up to you of course. And I haven't had a bigger shit eating grin on my face than when I heard the first several lines of Micheline. The Paul McCartney line makes me crack up and it's one of the fondest most vivid moments of the year for me.

Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love:
    I started listening to this just last week and it's so demanding of attention. And that's not just because of the unintelligible vocals going on, but how attacking the entire band sounds. Just wild hardcore punk and they sound tight. It takes you by the shoulders and pushes you to the ground, not to kick you, but to motivate you to get back up again. The ethos is fantastic. The guitars are fucking nuts. I'm loving the shit out of it. You can feel them using their entire bodies to bombard everyone within earshot. I can't wait to get my hands on a lyric sheet. They are a force and I'm going to try like hell to gather my pennies together and catch them in LA on Thursday.

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra...Fuck Off Get Free...:Such a huge album. I never heard anything from them prior to this. Although I understand and sympathize, I think it's kind of weird that some people can't get past the vocals considering how much mind fucking music everyone listens to in the board. It's really not that bad for me. But I've never had a problem with Craig Finn or Patrick Stickles so I dunno. Lots of layers and soaring melodies. Really fucked up imagery everywhere. What We Loved Was Not Enough is one of the best songs this year. It's so tragic and beautiful and it doesn't drag or lose steam. I feel like people are going to forget or sleep on this one. I hope I'm wrong.

Cheatahs - Cheatahs: I get the love for this. It's all of the best sounds of the 90s. I enjoy this record but I don't love it. I think the production is the essence and majority of what makes this record a sweet listen. There are catchy guitar hooks and riffs. The Swan is an awesome track. My problem is the songs do blend into each other a bit and the melodies don't stick with me most of the time. This is a problem with Morning Phase too. Essentially the song writing could be stronger. I don't agree with a retread of sounds/style being a bad thing. It's practically unavoidable and if something is done well I think we can still appreciate it.

St. Vincent - St. Vincent:
    I love Annie's exploration and transformation into this higher being art-pop-rock queen. The riffs are still there and now she's got all the David Byrneness oozing out of her. More of an infectious and upbeat, even danceable tracks on here. I love the beautiful shimmer on the Regret chorus. Digital Witness is easily a top ten track of the year so far. I'm on board with Fantano thinking that some of the ballads fall short, especially I Prefer Your Love. Her voice sounds incredible but i don't find the melody all that interesting. How about that riff at the end of Huey Newton? Fuck is that shit heavy. A strong pivotal album that makes me really excited to see where she goes next.

Ok I think I'll stop.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Will someone send me this Cloud Nothings album already? I've been trying to wait for it to come out on Spotify, but fuck it already. I love the two lead singles and I've already listened to "Psychic Trauma" a couple dozen times this morning.
    fuckin' with the lights on

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    St. Vincent - St. Vincent:
    I love Annie's exploration and transformation into this higher being art-pop-rock queen. The riffs are still there and now she's got all the David Byrneness oozing out of her. More of an infectious and upbeat, even danceable tracks on here. I love the beautiful shimmer on the Regret chorus. Digital Witness is easily a top ten track of the year so far. I'm on board with Fantano thinking that some of the ballads fall short, especially I Prefer Your Love. Her voice sounds incredible but i don't find the melody all that interesting. How about that riff at the end of Huey Newton? Fuck is that shit heavy. A strong pivotal album that makes me really excited to see where she goes next.
    Yeah, this album is pretty damn good. Related to your comment about the ballads though, I was giving this album a good third or fourth listen over the weekend while cleaning, and my boyfriend happened to walk in during I Prefer Your Love and was like, "What in the fuck are you listening to?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

She's hard to listen to, way too cheeky.

Haha. You should of been around when I was showing my bandmates Jim Wise off that sun Kil moon record. It got really quiet really fast.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    She's hard to listen to, way too cheeky.
    I was watching this YouTube interview with her at Amoeba where she basically cites Disney songs as an influence.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Haha. You should of been around when I was showing my bandmates Jim Wise off that sun Kil moon record. It got really quiet really fast.
    Maybe you could ease them into it by giving the Malkmus album a few spins. I feel like they hit a similar genre, but maybe Malkmus is more accessible. I really like both albums.

I was watching this YouTube interview with her at Amoeba where she basically cites Disney songs as an influence.
    I stuck her on the shelf right next to the Dirty Projectors.

I'm busy focusing my attention on that Perfect Pussy.

The new Twilight record is up for streaming now on Pitchfork. It's really wicked: lots of noise and industrial influence, some really heavy riffs and lots of great guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

How about that riff at the end of Huey Newton? Fuck is that shit heavy.
    This, this especially.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I'm busy focusing my attention on that Perfect Pussy.
    Yup. There's no way for me to not stop everything and intensely focus. As for Malkmus, I didn't really dig the recent one that much. It's jumbled or something.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Nice write ups Jello!!

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy
    5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium

Thanks man! Trying to contribute more.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I know it's early in the year, but I re-listened to the new Liars today and it might be my favorite of 2014. That and the new St. Vincent. Can't wait to hear the new stuff live.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Duuuuude. The new Liars is so confident! Needs more spins for me but it's really creative. Can a band embrace and satire an established sound at the same time? So fun.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Eagulls is growing on me majorly. Those dudes really sell what they're doing, even if it's not anything particularly new. It's nice to have some rock with a bit of balls and snarl.
    I think I played "Yellow Eyes" about 30 times over the last few days.

Duuuuude. The new Liars is so confident! Needs more spins for me but it's really creative. Can a band embrace and satire an established sound at the same time? So fun.
    See: James Ferraro's Far Side Virtual

I've been holding out for a better Mess rip but gave in and listened to the NPR stream, and I really enjoyed my first listen too.
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 03-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks for the rec. I'll check that out today.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Perfect Pussy's album is every bit the facefuck that it's been reported to be. Probably my new favorite of the year.

The Pyramid Vritra is the most dense, wonderfully layered hip-hop album I've heard since that Shabazz Palaces record three years ago. Major props to GolfWang for picketing for that one so much! bmack check this one out if you haven't already.

I really liked Metronomy's new one...it doesn't seem to have been talked about too much so far, and I can kind of see why. It's nowhere near as dance-y as their last one, and feel like their take on the sort of surfy lofi sound that's been done so much recently...a lot of the bass work is really reminiscent of Tim Koh's masterful input with Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. I liked it a lot, a change of pace but a welcome one in my book.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    The Pyramid Vritra is the most dense, wonderfully layered hip-hop album I've heard since that Shabazz Palaces record three years ago. Major props to GolfWang for picketing for that one so much! bmack check this one out if you haven't already.
    Downloading now. Thanks!

oh good, was looking for this thread!

im clawing myself out of the stone age...anyway, just wanted to say im not feeling the new shit robot at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Thought I do enjoy it, I'm not the biggest hip hop junkie. Can anyone reccomend a small list from this year and good blogs/sites where I can follow releases? I've only heard the Schoolboy Q and Step Brothers. I dig the Alchemist beats a lot otherwise I wasn't too impressed by either. Maybe I'm pickier. The same can go for electronic releases. Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I had no idea the Brian Jonestown Massacre were coming out with a new album.

Here's a new track they just posted:

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/br...he-first-track
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Anyone who's a fan of Real Estate, or other languid, jangly, Spring/Summer guitar rock, should go find Pure X's new one Angel. I wasn't too keen on their 2013 release, but this one grabbed me almost immediately.

Ooo I didn't realize it was out!

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Oh nice. Was lukewarm on the last one, hoping this is better.

The new Coffinworm album IV.I.VIII is just insane. It starts with a noisy, ugly guitar riff and a blood-curdling scream and doesn't let up the whole time. They combine great elements of doom, sludge, death and black metals into a really heavy and really interesting whole. I fucking loved it.

Thou's album, Heathen, is huge, in both a temporal and musical sense. They build epics of sludgey metal with lots of drone and dark tones, and the whole thing works best as an album. It's somewhat unfortunate that the album is nearly an hour long, because once you start it you really can't do anything else until it's over, but it's a spectacular listen.

All of the tracks Todd Terje released prior to the full length album are really fantastic, but the rest of the album falls really, really flat.

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Really digging Millie & Andrea's Drop the Vowels (Miles Whittaker & Andy Stott album on Modern Love). Nice elements of jungle, techno, and dub. Some of it reminds me of Stott's Up The Box and other parts are quite atmospheric and spacey.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets