Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Cherry Glazerr played Jubilee in June and they were HORRIBLE. I haven't listened to an album, but live it sounded like a high school band's first ever performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Well, they are still in highschool. Also, they were terrible. Also, I hate their band name.
    I had a feeling they would be not that good live.. They're an extremely new band and yeah, super young. It's also nothing special instrument-wise on the album.. very basic. They're just endearing to me in the same way that Beat Happening is.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Happiness Is is the worst album Taking Back Sunday has ever put out, and lacks that spark they once had when Fred Mascherino was in the band. He's an asshole for leaving, but it's a little too late now. Flicker, Fade was a cool song in terms of instruments but nothing special in terms of the vocals. I couldn't really find any one song that was remotely catchy except for Stood a Chance since it reminded me of their earlier days. Adam Lazzarra just doesn't bring his best stuff this go around. No MakeDamnSure in here that's for sure...
    Taking Back Sunday?

What the hell is wrong with you? You have to draw the line somewhere klein.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Bro, you are so cute without the "E" (cut from the team)
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I'm not trying to be a dick or call you guys out or anything, just interested in where you're coming from, and maybe in creating a bit of discussion - is it a good thing that a band you like put out an album that's exactly what you wanted? Isn't it kind of boring/predictable when an album turns out just like what you'd hoped for? It's obviously better than someone putting out a clunker, I personally just don't usually go into listening to an album for the first time with a measuring stick of expectations that I hold it accountable to.
    It's all about streamlining the process. You need documented criteria pre-release or your metrics aren't worth anything. Modern rating systems are complex and need significant data input. I can see a day coming where we'll be able to have true three-digit ratings and we'll look back on these days of the 8.4 and 9.2 as just as primitive as ages past when the most precise ratings were based on stars out of five. Anyway the biggest obstacles are in the fields of album accountability and ratings drift, so this is important work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

The new Withered Hand album, New Gods, is excellent. Dude's voice kind of reminds me of the guy from the Thrills...super fragile but still forceful sounding. Anyway, it's a really excellent collection of folky pop songs. Melancholy in places, buoyant in others. Really beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    The new Withered Hand album, New Gods, is excellent. Dude's voice kind of reminds me of the guy from the Thrills...super fragile but still forceful sounding. Anyway, it's a really excellent collection of folky pop songs. Melancholy in places, buoyant in others. Really beautiful.

aaahhh didn't even realize it was out!

Axxa/Abraxas' self-titled record is a mostly fresh sounding psych pop record...or at least it's not a direct rehash that we've heard so much of the past few years. Good stuff, icedkeg you'll like this one I think.

Listening to White Suns' Totem was like getting raped by a tornado.

Both good albums.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Kelis album, Food, is wonderful. Dave Sitek produces, and you'll hear lots of his signature horns and percussion and such. That said, it doesn't just sound like a TV On The Radio record with Kelis singing. It definitely has it's own identity. It's a funky, sort of rootsy, soul record, but despite the instrumentation it doesn't sound like a lot of that faux-retro crap that so many singers are doing right now. There's also a really great and surprising Labi Siffre cover right in the middle of the album that's really beautiful.

Also, the Freddie Gibbs/Madlib record makes me want to go fight people. Gibbs is rapping his ass off, like ususal, and sounds tremendous over Madlib's production style. It'll probably get a lot of attention for his Young Jeezy dis track, "Real". It's some straight to the jugular, "No Vaseline", type of shit that we haven't heard in rap for a while. But anyway, it's great front to back, and features some of Madlib's best beats in years.

Axxa/Abraxas' self-titled record is a mostly fresh sounding psych pop record...or at least it's not a direct rehash that we've heard so much of the past few years. Good stuff, icedkeg you'll like this one I think.
    Thanks for the reco, tallguy! The singer's high voice can sometimes be a little annoying to me, but after only one-and-a-half listens I dig it for the most part. I guess one of the guys from Woods engineered/produced/mixed the album and I can definitely hear the influence, especially on "Beyond The Wind" and "Painted Blue." I like Woods quite a bit. I'll be sure to give this one more spins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    The Kelis album, Food, is wonderful. Dave Sitek produces, and you'll hear lots of his signature horns and percussion and such. That said, it doesn't just sound like a TV On The Radio record with Kelis singing. It definitely has it's own identity. It's a funky, sort of rootsy, soul record, but despite the instrumentation it doesn't sound like a lot of that faux-retro crap that so many singers are doing right now. There's also a really great and surprising Labi Siffre cover right in the middle of the album that's really beautiful.

Also, the Freddie Gibbs/Madlib record makes me want to go fight people. Gibbs is rapping his ass off, like ususal, and sounds tremendous over Madlib's production style. It'll probably get a lot of attention for his Young Jeezy dis track, "Real". It's some straight to the jugular, "No Vaseline", type of shit that we haven't heard in rap for a while. But anyway, it's great front to back, and features some of Madlib's best beats in years.
    yeahhhhh buddy. gibbs/madlib kills it. will check out Kelis' newest now, thanks for the rec.

Fans of psychy-progy-folky-(insert 70s rock sub-genre here)y music would do well to check out Motorpsycho's Behind the Sun. Apparently these Norwegians have been around for over 20 years and have been releasing pretty stellar material throughout most of it, so I'm now quite excited to dive into their catalog. This album, as well as the last one, features one of the guitarists from Dungen so that should help give you a clue of what to expect.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/...he-donkey-dog/

Via Pitchfork:

"On March 24, French techno vet Laurent Garnier drops his first name for a new 12" on Musique Large, A13. The eight-track (no, not 8-track) release features this negative-zone slow-mover, a tune that shifts far from techno and more towards the noisy, black-on-black soundscapes explored by fellow Frenchman Gesaffelstein on last year's intriguing Adelph."

This track is unbelievably good.

Can't wait to hear him drop this at Coachella.

The Todd Terje album is on point, as predicted. It sounds a bit like what lindstrom was attempting to do with Six Cups of Rebel, however much more coherent and enjoyable, at least for me. A lot of old stuff on it, which isn't ideal, but I can't complain about an album that contains most of It's The Arps. "Oh Joy" was a definite "holy shit" moment for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

I'm really enjoying this Angel Olsen record. What a great voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Skrillex's "Doompy Poomp" brought the wtf lulz to an otherwise boring commute.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

So i just listened to this great album however apparently it was put out in 2013. Do I post about it in here or revive the old thread? Pretty sure it was not mentioned, I tried searching it. Its a band called b!last
    you are soooooooo good lookin

That Big Ups record is incredible.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

That Big Ups record is incredible.
    Fuck yeah it is.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

http://pitchfork.com/news/54337-list...ger-in-moscow/

Via Pitchfork:

"Tame Impala have shared their own version of Michael Jackson's late-90s hit "Stranger in Moscow"

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    So i just listened to this great album however apparently it was put out in 2013. Do I post about it in here or revive the old thread? Pretty sure it was not mentioned, I tried searching it. Its a band called b!last
    Go to the Damaged: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore thread. B!last fits well in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Bradford Cox's Teenage soundtrack (although it's more of a score, it's all instrumental with no vocals) is a worthwhile listen, but is pretty nondescript. I imagine it'll work well for a film though, parts sound like they'd be perfect in a Gus Van Sant film. I enjoyed the songs, but I'd be more likely to revisit the Bedroom Databank work of Cox's, which I haven't listened to since their release, than this.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'd agree with all of that.

YG's My Krazy Life is probably the best West Coast party rap record since Dre's 2001. It's impeccably produced, mostly by DJ Mustard, who combines bay area, southern and classic West Coast hip-hop production styles into his own sound. It's polished, crisp, and incredibly infectious. YG is a good rapper and even better songwriter. He sounds as good here as he ever has. It's great summertime music. I don't see myself taking this record out of my regular rotation until it finally gets cold again. So, probably never.

After a couple listens, Teebs' E S T A R A didn't do much for me. Although admittedly, an album like this probably requires more than a few listens for the music to really sink in. It has some good moments, but overall was kind of dull and same-y. His production seems to have gotten a bit more hazy and less dynamic since Ardour. I really like the song, "Wavxxes", though.
    Last edited by GolfWang; 03-16-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Anyone else fallen into the hole that is the new The War on Drugs record? I can't stop listening to it. He's such a mesmerising guitar player and there are so many memorable melodies.

I really like it. It's definitely stuck with me more than the last album, but I seem to remember people a couple pages ago saying they thought it was underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I listened to it via the NPR stream the other day and was surprised by how much I liked it. (I have since realized that the disappointing album I was remembering was Kurt Vile, not TWoD).

And yeah, there is some gorgeous music here and it will take time to really sink in and reveal itself so I need to keep listening!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Anyone else fallen into the hole that is the new The War on Drugs record? I can't stop listening to it. He's such a mesmerising guitar player and there are so many memorable melodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Really enjoying the new War on Drugs. Perfect Summertime record.
    I've only gotten to listen to it a few times so far, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I love the new War on Drugs album; loved it from the first listen, love it even more a month later, and have yet to get sick of it. I don't like it as much as the last album, but that's not so much a mark against this one as continued high praise for the last one.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Can someone explain to me why I'm supposed to start caring about Future Islands? Goofy dance lead singer guy? Is that what this is about?

I mean, I listen to a lot of synth pop, and I love the genre for what it is, but this is some Kathy Lee Gifford cheese.

Edit: "A Song for Our Grandfathers" is pretty excellent.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 03-17-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Eagulls is growing on me majorly. Those dudes really sell what they're doing, even if it's not anything particularly new. It's nice to have some rock with a bit of balls and snarl.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.