Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

It was definitely a grower.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Listend to AJ Davila's Terror Amor today and really enjoyed it. Saw most of the material from this album last summer live and am happy with what made it to record. It has elements of 60s pop with sludgy garage rock and punk roots. A must listen for fans of Davila 666 or anyone who has been yearning for an out of box espanol punk rock album.

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Gave a brief listen to that Atlas Sound score via Pitchfork Advance, and it was well worth it and I am looking forward to listening to it again. Just an FYI for all you Deerhunter folks out there (bmack & tallguy).
    I saw this yesterday, but immediately forgot. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I mentioned it a page or two ago (and it's currently ensconced toward the top of my year's-best list in that other thread), but fans of Cloud Nothings would do well to check out the debut by Eagulls. It's a little more rough around the edges, but stylistically it's pretty similar and I'm surprised by how much it's growing on me with repeated listens.
    I literally just finished listening to this one. I really dig it. It sits comfortably next to the Big Ups album from a month or two ago. Some really good ugly punky stuff coming out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I'm really hoping someone else gets into The Hotelier album, I can't stop listening to it.
    I've heard it three times now and I really dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I like the Cloud Nothings album but I liked Attack On Memory a lot more. Nothing can beat No Future/No Past --> Wasted Days.

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

That Eagulls album is hitting all the right notes with me. I'm going to have to update my top 10. This is in contention with Beck for #2 at this juncture.

It's a jam. I need to give it a few more listens, but they cut between noise punk and noisy jangle pop in a way that hits a few of my favorite buttons. I loved it on first listen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

New Cloud Nothings is pretty good. Super short. Can't complain.

I haven't stop listening to Kangding Ray - Solens Arc since it's release. Dark, militant, at times somber, tense, and beautiful techno. The album is essentially split into four parts with three songs comprising each part that blend together as one but can stand on their own individually. Detailed enough to evoke images of another world or society. Definitely an album to pay attention to while listening on good speakers and to get lost in your own imagination.

So apparently Sufjan released a hip hop album? http://pitchfork.com/news/54201-stre...m-as-sisyphus/

I really enjoyed the new Wild Beasts album a lot musically. Some really interesting textures, sounds, etc. I just can't hang with those vocals. I have a hard time with singers that sound that Antony-esque.
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium
    8/12 - FKA Twigs - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I haven't stop listening to Kangding Ray - Solens Arc since it's release. Dark, militant, at times somber, tense, and beautiful techno. The album is essentially split into four parts with three songs comprising each part that blend together as one but can stand on their own individually. Detailed enough to evoke images of another world or society. Definitely an album to pay attention to while listening on good speakers and to get lost in your own imagination.
    I can't get enough of it. I tend to find full techno LPs laborious most of the time and end up just favoring a few releases, but this is an intensely rewarding album from start to finish. I feel the same way about Kassem Mosse's Untitled 19 for a house album, too.

The Men's Tomorrow's Hit surprised me because I thought (incorrectly, I guess) that they were a noisey punk band. The polished, super tight songwriting and country influences really appeal to me.

Real Estate's Atlas is beginning to grow on me. I've had a bone to pick with "Talking Backwards" for a while now since it inevitably comes on sirius whenever I'm driving. My issues with the saccharine nature of that track don't hold up with the rest of the album, though I don't think it is as immediately rewarding as Days.

I was disappointed in how disappointing the new Tycho is.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I can't get enough of it. I tend to find full techno LPs laborious most of the time and end up just favoring a few releases, but this is an intensely rewarding album from start to finish.
    I'll definitely have to check this out.

I love techno when I see it live but also find most albums hard to listen front start to finish.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The Men's Tomorrow's Hit surprised me because I thought (incorrectly, I guess) that they were a noisey punk band. The polished, super tight songwriting and country influences really appeal to me.
    They were a very noisy punk band, but over the course of 5 albums in 5 years and incessant touring, their sound has been shifting substantially. i highly recommend the last couple records, as they are really great. The country influences really started appearing in 20112's Open Your Heart. I have yet to listen to the new one and hope to soon. See them live when you get a chance too!
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

after 44 years Linda Perhacs voice is still beautiful sonic truth in her latest "The Soul of All Natural Things"
    Papi Piratón!

I just want to echo what everyone is saying about the Eagulls, and the Men albums. The Men especially, that album is a joy to listen to. Kinda how Local Business went over for me, except I think I like the Men's album more.

Gotta be the voice of dissent on the Cheatahs album. I guess I can see enjoying it if you've got a raging hard on for 90s indie guitar rock and shoegaze, but I don't understand the very high praise it's getting around these parts. MBV released a new album last year, we no longer have to rely on pale imitators to get that fix any more. It's like the Temples album for me in that the things it steals from it does so blatantly, there's no room for an individual voice for the band to come through, except they're cribbing the 90s instead of the 60s. As much as I love shoegaze, I'm ready for it to go away for away. Diminishing returns at this point.

Really enjoyed the Cloud Nothings album on first listen though. Every year I grow a little more tired of punk, but they're the kind of band that reminds me of why it hit such a strong chord with me when I was younger. They crib a bit too, but they've got the songwriting and personal voice to back it up.

The Eagulls record was somewhere in between those two, pretty familiar shit, but an enjoyable enough listen.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The new Liars is fucking fantastic. Exactly what I wanted to hear from them.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Listened to No Mythologies to Follow by MØ today. I really enjoyed it. It's catchy pop that reminds me of Grimes at times.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Black Lips - Underneath the Rainbow is exactly what I wanted it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The new Liars is fucking fantastic. Exactly what I wanted to hear from them.
    I'm not trying to be a dick or call you guys out or anything, just interested in where you're coming from, and maybe in creating a bit of discussion - is it a good thing that a band you like put out an album that's exactly what you wanted? Isn't it kind of boring/predictable when an album turns out just like what you'd hoped for? It's obviously better than someone putting out a clunker, I personally just don't usually go into listening to an album for the first time with a measuring stick of expectations that I hold it accountable to.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I think "exactly what I wanted to hear from them," is just a different way of saying "I'm really pleased with the output." I don't think anyone's got a list of expectations that they then check off upon first listen of an album and conclude with that statement.

Also, I found the new Liars album to be very pleasing. It's met my expectation of wanting to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I'm not trying to be a dick or call you guys out or anything, just interested in where you're coming from, and maybe in creating a bit of discussion - is it a good thing that a band you like put out an album that's exactly what you wanted? Isn't it kind of boring/predictable when an album turns out just like what you'd hoped for? It's obviously better than someone putting out a clunker, I personally just don't usually go into listening to an album for the first time with a measuring stick of expectations that I hold it accountable to.
    The Liars' new album basically takes their worst track on WIXIW and makes Brats suck it's dick.The album starts off as an black sabbath meets hard electronic music* meets the Liars till Sunrise of "Can't Hear Well".As "Mess on a Mission" plays out the direction is possessed and becomes hysteric ,For the rest of the album becomes like this transformation.It was predictable to hear more of WIXIW musical direction.This isn't a bad thing since it's feels like a huge progression since to me Brats felt abrupt with it's breaking into if remember correctly mediocre dance music from their "post-darkwave" whatever you would define the sound of WIXIW? .In Mess, they found an good medium and the album flows well together.I really like "Mask Maker" and hope they use it for the Opener for Mess tourdates.

Edit*I was confused what Blow Job house music was.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Brats is such an awesome track though.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This is exactly the sort of post I'd hoped for from TallGuyCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The new Liars record is fantastic after one spin and I really enjoyed Perfect Pussy on the first listen as well.

Happiness Is is the worst album Taking Back Sunday has ever put out, and lacks that spark they once had when Fred Mascherino was in the band. He's an asshole for leaving, but it's a little too late now. Flicker, Fade was a cool song in terms of instruments but nothing special in terms of the vocals. I couldn't really find any one song that was remotely catchy except for Stood a Chance since it reminded me of their earlier days. Adam Lazzarra just doesn't bring his best stuff this go around. No MakeDamnSure in here that's for sure...
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

I think "exactly what I wanted to hear from them," is just a different way of saying "I'm really pleased with the output." I don't think anyone's got a list of expectations that they then check off upon first listen of an album and conclude with that statement.
    This is pretty much what I meant about the Black Lips album. I see how the phrasing could be confusing though.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Cherry Glazerr - Haxel Princess is just the right amount of poppy/catchy for my garage rock. Excellent stuff... LA band debut album. Reminds me of EMA kind of
    Surprised this was the only post mentioning this album... I was doing research on the Burgerama lineup and stumbled across this group. I must say, so far 2014 has been pretty weak and nothing's really stood out for me, but this, this is pretty fucking great. I'm very meh when it comes to the whole Burger label/scene. A lot of those bands all sound the same and are kinda boring, but this is pretty different and it works... Fucking so good. Everyone give them a listen!

Seriously listened to this one like 50 times today....

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Cherry Glazerr played Jubilee in June and they were HORRIBLE. I haven't listened to an album, but live it sounded like a high school band's first ever performance.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Well, they are still in highschool. Also, they were terrible. Also, I hate their band name.