Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Black Lips - Underneath the Rainbow is exactly what I wanted it to be. I think it is really great, but I would like anything this band put out. You can really hear the difference in production under Patrick Carney opposed to the sound Mark Ronson brought out of them on Arabia Mountain. This album has a lot more gritty blues, a little bit of a country twang and less frenetic sing-a-longs. Overall it is a little bit subdued compared to the rest of their catalog, so I hope they don't incorporate too much of it into their live show.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I hope they don't incorporate too much of it into their live show.
    This is my concern. Anyway, I found the album to be pretty disappointing minus a track or two. I've only listened to it once, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Solvent's new album, New Ways, happens to also be the soundtrack to a documentary about modular synthesis called I Dream of Wires. I admit that I lack the vocabulary to do a very good job describing some sub genres of electronic music in an intelligent manner, but it's really, really good.

You can read about the album as well as listen to it HERE.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I tried getting into that Angel Olsen record today - heck, I can even see the Cohen comparisons - but something about it is just off putting to me. Can't really put my finger on it.
    Same here, and I've loved everything she's put out up to this.

10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory
    11/7 Dean Blunt @ Jewel's Catch One

Anyone one else love the Cocteau Twins type deal going in the chorus St. Vincent's song Regret?
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Stream The Men's Tomorrow's Hits here - can't wait!
    So basically everyone needs to stop what they are doing and listen to this album, as it's fantastic - the increased studio fidelity helps rather than hinders the songs by giving each instrument its own breathing space in the mix, and the album hits the gas in a way that I felt was sorely missing from New Moon. Now I really can't wait for their show with Gun Outfit in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    So basically everyone needs to stop what they are doing and listen to this album, as it's fantastic - the increased studio fidelity helps rather than hinders the songs by giving each instrument its own breathing space in the mix, and the album hits the gas in a way that I felt was sorely missing from New Moon. Now I really can't wait for their show with Gun Outfit in a few months.
    I thought it was a pretty awesome album, however I do miss the straight up punk feel they used to have. I get it though they are eveolving and all that shit. My only problem with the album was the track sleepless. That track even though its name put to me to sleep and the only one i ended up skipping. Also its no new moon not even close IMO.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

This new album from The Men is great. So much better than New Moon. I just need to accept that the loud band that I first heard a few years ago is gone. That being said, I imagine their show's setlists are pretty great now and pretty dynamic with all of this different stuff to draw from. Pearly Gates is the only song I am having trouble with - I hate that derivative boogie woogie/blues brothers schtick type stuff, whether is old, new, authentic or affected.

I really love Rave Tapes. It is as good as Hardcore and better than The Hawk and Mr. Beast. I love their use of electronics.

I really enjoy the Malkmus album, but I haven't gone back to it yet. He is in a stage where you just take for granted what he does, which, while comforting, doesn't make you want to take the energy to put the album on.

After one listen, I love The Cheatas album. The middle third-to last half of the album is really, really good.
    Last edited by york707; 02-26-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

At the rate they go, I imagine their shows will soon be the material for next year's album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quick thoughts on a ton of albums:

Morning Phase is pleasant but boring.

I don't hear The Body in that Indian records, as The Body really are in a universe of their own, but it is a brutal, unsparing piece of noise metal that I think is really strong but probably won't listen to all that often because of how uncompromisingly ugly it is. Speaking of The Body, that collab with the Haxan Cloak is uncompromisingly ugly in a much more listenable way for me, really harrowing shit and proof that combining metal and electronics doesn't have to be clumsy or embarrassing.

I'm not sure I'm really a fan of what Brock Van Wey does as it felt like a slog to get through the 2 1/2 hours of his album, which wasn't the case with, say, the Minilogue album from last year; as with some of his bvdub material, it's all just a bit too fluffy and saccharine for my tastes, I guess I prefer my ambient to lean towards a darker hue a bit.

Like Tommy said about the War on Drugs, it was an enjoyable listen but slipped fairly easy into the background; I never listened to their previous one, which I'll get around to, but I could see it growing on me. I can also see the St. Vincent album growing on me, I enjoyed it a lot on first listen, although nothing grabbed me right away like "Actor Out Of Work" or "Paris Is Burning" off previous albums.

On the techno front, Lucy had some great moments but was kind of uneven and overlong, Perc was pretty interesting, really accentuating the "industrial" part of "industrial techno," and Kangding Ray was probably the strongest of these three albums, with a bit more of a straight up 90s techno texture on a lot of tracks than I remember hearing on previous releases.

As for hip-hop, I've completely forgotten what Young Fathers sound like after a week or two; Pyramid Vritra is kind of interesting, but I do feel like I've heard a lot of those sounds on more straightforward electronic releases before, plus I find their flow kind of unengaging, but it may grow on me; and Step Brothers seemed to be a bit of a mixed back but with a bunch of really great, promising moments scattered throughout, definitely the album of these three that caught my ear the most.

Warpaint is good and moody, but I feel like these kinds of bands never turn out anything truly Great, that there's that extra spark of personality or fire in their bones that's missing and keeping them from really delivering something "timeless", but it's an enjoyable listen.

And finally, two albums from bands I've loved in the past that I enjoyed quite a bit on first listen and am really anticipating digging deeper into are the Wild Beasts and Planningtorock albums. Planningtorock's W was possibly my favorite album from 2011, and while All Love's Legal didn't hit me as hard at first as that one, it's probably less of an off putting listen to people who aren't on her particular wavelength, and it includes both tracks from last year's stellar Misogyny Drop Dead single. Wild Beasts' Present Tense seems like it's jumping on the indie synth pop bandwagon, but like their previous albums, they approach things from a far more distinctive and inventive place than the majority of their peers and the new one is filled with gorgeous tunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I enjoyed my first listen of the new Real Estate... but I kind of forgot I was listening to it. Didn't really grab me. Need a little more time with it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I enjoyed my first listen of the new Real Estate... but I kind of forgot I was listening to it. Didn't really grab me. Need a little more time with it I guess.
    This same exact thing happened to me while listening to both the Real Estate and War on Drugs albums. I didn't think it was bad, but there were several times I completely tuned them out and forgot I was listening.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

I love The War on Drugs, but the new album has some really sleepy, unmemorable moments on it. There are parts that are great, but it's kind of a let down after three listens. I really enjoy the new Real Estate though: it takes their sound, adds a more lived-in feel to the songs and makes things a little more morose. I've only listened twice so individual song titles haven't clicked yet, but I've loved it and been captivated both times.

I'm stoked to listen to the new Wild Beasts. What a fucking excellent band they are. If you've got a chance to see them, I couldn't recommend their show more highly. I wasn't a huge fan of Panto Limbo or Two Dancers when they were first released, but my roommate loved both so we went to see them. I left a big fan of the band. They played the Troubadour like it was the Forum and they were selling to the cheap seats.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I really enjoy the new Real Estate though: it takes their sound, adds a more lived-in feel to the songs and makes things a little more morose. I've only listened twice so individual song titles haven't clicked yet, but I've loved it and been captivated both times.
    I like that the bassist, Alex Bleeker, is given lead vocals on "How Might I Live." I don't recall them doing that on previous albums. His other band, Alex Bleeker and the Freaks, put out one of my favorites from last year.

Also, I'm LOVING the Future Islands album. Up-beat dance grooves one after another. My head has been boppin all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I'm not certain, but I thought he sang Guess I'm Doing Fine on Days. But yeah, Bleeker is such a blast. He's a goofball and puts so much into their live shows.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'm not certain, but I thought he sang Guess I'm Doing Fine on Days. But yeah, Bleeker is such a blast. He's a goofball and puts so much into their live shows.
    Good call. The song is called "Wonder Years."

Listened to the first half of Yellow Ostrich's Cosmos tonight and couldn't really get into it. The songs sound nice but just don't do anything for me. I'm going to try to listen to the back half later, but I would just rather listen to Real Estate or Schoolboy Q right now.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am listening to yellow Ostrich now and was also feeling pretty underwhelmed (sadly), but it actually gets a lot more interesting starting with "You Are The Stars"
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I agree that there's nothing on the new Yellow Ostrich that's as immediately catchy as "Elephant King" or "Marathon Runner," but I think it's going to reward repeat listenings.

I know I'll like the new Real Estate, but I was so disappointed with their 2012 Coachella set that I've sort of been avoiding it. And as much as I liked the last Shocking Pinks album, the thought of slogging through his new three-hour opus is putting me off.

Suddenly this has become the Tell Us Why You're Avoiding Listening to 2014 Releases thread.

To remedy that, go listen to the self-titled debut by Eagulls. Hearkens back to late 70's post-punk, but with more emphasis on the punk half. Shouty vocals, churning guitars, vaguely krautrock rhythms, alternately anthemic and claustrophobic. I'll be surprised if this drops off the Top Ten list I compiled yesterday.

EDIT: Currently listening to Real Estate, and I've finally discovered the perfect soundtrack for doing my taxes.
    Last edited by roberto73; 02-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

New Bums' record is pleasant, but one listen will likely prevent me from wanting to bother to see them live next week. It's a totally fine album, it's just really mellow and doesn't seem like it'd be all that appealing live, especially at a venue like the Church on York. Which is kind of disappointing, as I have yet to see Ben Chasny live in any capacity. Here's to future Six Organs shows or (better yet) Comets on Fire.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post

EDIT: Currently listening to Real Estate, and I've finally discovered the perfect soundtrack for doing my taxes.
    Call 'em "tax records"

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Springsteen will get thrown around a lot as a comparison for The War On Drugs, but I honestly hear more Dire Straits coming through on this one. Just a gorgeous record, one that I look forward getting lost to in the months to come.
    I'm about halfway through this album and am really liking it. "An Ocean In Between the Waves" definitely has a "Sultans of Swing" vibe to it.

The Schoolboy album is really fucking good. Listened to it for the first time on the way to work this morning and couldn't stop bobbing my head. Some great gems... I really like how some of the tracks completely change direction halfway through. Very good album, excited to listen to it again.

So I have enjoyed a lot of new music so far this year, but I feel like I should mention that three of my favorite albums over the last few weeks have been the recent reissues of No Depression, Lucinda Williams, and Workbook, all of which sound fantastic and have been appended with totally worthy bonus material.

So I guess it is actually 1989, or I am becoming TomAz. Or something.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

War On Drugs have definitely always reminded me of Dire Straits
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    So I have enjoyed a lot of new music so far this year, but I feel like I should mention that three of my favorite albums over the last few weeks have been the recent reissues of No Depression, Lucinda Williams, and Workbook, all of which sound fantastic and have been appended with totally worthy bonus material.

So I guess it is actually 1989, or I am becoming TomAz. Or something.
    I don't know the Bob Mould record, actually, but the other two are fantastic pieces of work that I should re-listen to soon.

I recently finished my first full listen through the new Have A Nice Life, The Unnatural World, and it is fantastic. It is a deep, tense record.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I don't know the Bob Mould record, actually.
    You should give it a listen, and soon. It's mellow and fantastic, his post-Husker Du breakup album. If you were listening to any college radio in the late 80's or watching 120 Minutes you'll probably recognize at least a couple songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I recommend Home, Like Noplace is There by The Hotelier (formerly The Hotel Year) to anyone who has been following or is interested in the "emo revival" sound. If you have been a fan of the recent releases from Touché Amoré, You Blew It!, or The World is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die then this will be right up your alley. It is a really great emo-punk record from front to back that has the feel of the early 00's. It's exciting that these types of bands are making decent music again, it gives me hope the the eyeliner bands of the last decade may finally die off.
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 03-01-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

I'm enjoying the new Black Lips much more on my second listen.

I've liked it better with every listen.

Diarrhea Planet 2015