Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also breaking the rules slightly: 2014 Collaborative Playlist on Spotify is ready for y'all to follow and add favorite tracks to.
    I usually try to avoid Malkmus, but Chartjunk is great. Thanks for starting this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love," is the most devastatingly beautiful song I've heard in years;
    I casually put this album on while I was working today and this song hit me so incredibly hard. I was completely sucked into his world from that point on. I don't remember the last time I was so emotionally affected by an album, especially an album by an artist I had never heard before and have no attachment to whatsoever. Listening to this for the first time was an incredible experience that I will probably never forget.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Black Dirt Oak - Wawayanda Patent is a collaboration between some really fine players including Steve Gunn (formerly a guitarist in Kurt Vile's band who has some great solo material), Nathan Bowles (of Pelt), and others. It's a very diverse record with influences ranging from American country, Indian classical, even flamenco guitar at one point. Track 8, "From the Jaguar Priest", is my favorite, and I realized this morning it kind of reminds me of what it'd sound like if SubRosa had country instead of metal leanings.

Streaming here: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolat...medium=twitter

Sun Kil Moon's album didn't overly impress me on first listen. I enjoyed it a lot musically - "I Watched the Film The Song Remains the Same" is a hell of a centerpiece - the lyrics/delivery were what I had a hard time with. I'm not sure what you call Kozelek's style of singing...kitchen sink folk? Haha. It almost sounds like he's making up the lyrics as he goes along, and just rattling off whatever's in his head, and it came across as trite and mostly silly to me. If you love this type of music normally, you'll probably like this. But if you're someone who's never been super impressed by Red House Painters or other Sun Kil Moon records in the first place, this isn't much of a game changer. When it comes to singer-songwriter stuff of this kind, I much prefer Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's lyrics, tone, overall music really (who it appears contributed to this record now that I'm reading up on it).
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm only about 30 minutes into Brock Van Wey's new 3 hour long album Home (under his own name, not under bvdub) but wow. This is seriously great. Better than 2009's "White Clouds" so far.

Temples - Sun Structures is crazy awesome. The psychedelic guitars can get u put into new zones of relaxation. The structure and flow of this record is on point and it's the best thing I've heard in this young year. It's very Tame Impala like as already expected.

Can you tell me more about the structure and flow?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

When one song fades out, the next one comes in at a nice transition picking up the previous song's energy, mood, and feel and then progresses into its own sound

Not every psychedelic-ish band sounds like Tame Impala. Let's, as listeners, come up with a new comparison.

That's cool u put a few extra words into what i said, but it's hard to argue against the Tame Impala comparison

Anyways today has been pretty bad for me, so this album was a minor lift
    Last edited by theklein25; 02-07-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

What extra words were put into what you said?
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Anyways today has been pretty bad for me, so this album was a minor lift
    what happened buddy?

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Not every psychedelic-ish band sounds like Tame Impala. Let's, as listeners, come up with a new comparison.
    It's the musical equivalent of Spring Breakers. An existential fever dream, if you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Maybe it just betrays my own pretentiousness, but I don't get the joke with "existential fever dream," at least not on the level of "cool and swagger" etc. If I read that in a film review, I wouldn't bat an eye. In fact, put that in quotes on Google and you get plenty of results outside of this board. /buzzkill
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Cheatahs s/t is rather enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Maybe it just betrays my own pretentiousness, but I don't get the joke with "existential fever dream," at least not on the level of "cool and swagger" etc. If I read that in a film review, I wouldn't bat an eye. In fact, put that in quotes on Google and you get plenty of results outside of this board. /buzzkill
    Scolded.

Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Cheatahs s/t is rather enjoyable.
    Vinyl just came in the mail today. Really, really good. Sort of hits the intersection between Ride and Dinosaur Jr. Maybe. I'm crap at comparisons. But it does a pretty cool job of combining a couple styles from twenty years ago and still somehow manages to sound fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    It's the musical equivalent of Spring Breakers. An existential fever dream, if you will.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Finally catching up on some 2014 releases. The worst of the bunch so far has been Mark McGuire. Just pure cheese through and through. I have a pretty high tolerance for cosmic noodling, but it's like the dude thought Manuel Gottsching's E2-E4 needed more wanky guitar and not less and decided to make a whole album out of it.

On the other side, Moodymann's self titled is the clear frontrunner for the best thing put in 2014 so far. Not just the best Moodymann album in ages, but also the best soul album in quite awhile. Yeah, it's house/techno, but it plays like a classic Prince album, with plenty of P-Funk and classic r&b thrown in. Great flow, moves the hips, the heart and the head at the same time. Even if you're not a major dance music aficionado, this is a must listen.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

That Sunn O)))/Ulver collab is indeed stunning. My favorite of this young year thus far.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

On the other side, Moodymann's self titled is the clear frontrunner for the best thing put in 2014 so far. Not just the best Moodymann album in ages, but also the best soul album in quite awhile. Yeah, it's house/techno, but it plays like a classic Prince album, with plenty of P-Funk and classic r&b thrown in. Great flow, moves the hips, the heart and the head at the same time. Even if you're not a major dance music aficionado, this is a must listen.
    Totally agree. Best thing I've heard all year. So many gems...

I've only listened to the Moodymann once, and at work, but I was also really impressed.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Will this work out

Franz Ferdinand are making an album with veteran synth rockers Sparks, NME can reveal.

Sparks keyboardist Ron Mael told NME that the two bands have been working together since they met in San Francisco in April last year (2013). They hope to finish recording by the time Sparks begin a tour this summer.

"You can really hear a mashing together of both bands," said Mael. "If there was a train crash between Franz Ferdinand and Sparks, this is what the wreckage would sound like."

The vocal styles of Franz frontman Alex Kapranos and Sparks singer Russell Mael – Ron’s brother – fuse together well, according to the keyboard player. He said: "Alex and Russell’s voices are very distinctive, so you notice the trade-off between them straight away. Both bands' styles are coming together pretty seamlessly."

The two bands first met eight years ago, and Kapranos said in a 2007 Radio 2 documentary about Sparks that he hoped they would eventually record together. Ron Mael said: "We first met in Los Angeles where Franz were playing. We liked what each other does, and it became the usual thing bands say to each other of 'We should do something together.' We kept in touch over the years, and last April we both happened to be playing in San Francisco. We struck up the same conversation, but this time we actually started working on it. It seems to be turning into something strong."

Mael, whose band are known for hits including 'This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us' and 'No 1 Song In Heaven', admitted that songwriting sessions were initially "tentative". "We didn’t know what we were supposed to do or how it would work stylistically," he said. "But we’ve felt around and it’s an exciting experience."

Franz Ferdinand recently announced they will let fans choose their setlist for BBC Radio 6 Music Festival at Victoria Warehouse in Manchester on March 1. They launch a UK tour at The Roundhouse in London on March 14.

Sparks are working on a movie of their 2009 album 'The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman', as well as an album with an undisclosed narrative theme. Mael said: "All the projects help each other. Doing pop songs with Franz Ferdinand is a release after we’ve worked on the narrative album."
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/franz-ferdin...e1Spf19eGbv.99

12/22 Afrika Bambaataa vs Arthur Baker @ W New York
    12/27 Dubfire @ Output
    12/28 Television @ Irving Plaza
    12/28 Boys Noize @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

So Dissed and Dismissed by Tony Molina technically came out last year (and was one of my favorites of the year), but Slumberland is reissuing it this year and let me tell you -- it is the shit. Take the hooks and crunch of Teenage Fanclub and early Weezer, the guitarmonies of Thin Lizzy, and the length of your typical hardcore tune and you'll get the picture. I saw him last night and it was fucking fantastic. His songs are amazing distillations of everything great and viscerally exciting about rock 'n' roll. 12 songs in 12 minutes. No wasted space.

Check it yo:

http://slumberlandrecords.com/catalog/show/267

Also, could someone PM me a link to the Moodymann and Cheatahs albums? Thanks in advance, you're the best.

You can hear a new song called “Klapp Klapp”....May 2014

12/22 Afrika Bambaataa vs Arthur Baker @ W New York
    12/27 Dubfire @ Output
    12/28 Television @ Irving Plaza
    12/28 Boys Noize @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

So I finally got around to listening to the new Cibo Matto, and while it was enjoyable it only served to remind me how much I want a new Mu album to be released.

Edit: yay for another new Todd Terje track! https://soundcloud.com/toddterje/delorean-dynamite

I was going to point you to an EP that was released recently, but apparently it's a different Mu.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Anybody like bombay's new album? It's alright IMO but I do really like this song

I was going to point you to an EP that was released recently, but apparently it's a different Mu.
    I know a duo from Vancouver just released an EP under the name of MU. Is that who you were referring too? If not, there are quite a few of em out there.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.