Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    wasn't this an album from last year?

or was this the new live version
    They did release an album last year but this is a new composition entitled "Enter!".

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Two recent rap releases that I'm enjoying:

Step Brothers - Lord Steppington: Alchemist and Evidence produced this album. If you like traditional rappity-rap hip-hop with excellent, boom-bap production, you should check this out. guest raps from Bronson, Marciano, Blu, Domo, Styles P, Fashawn and more. standout tracks are "See The Rich Man Play" and "Banging Sound".

Young Thug & Bloody Jay - Black Portland: this one's on the more weird, experimental, garbled-rap tip. Young Thug is probably my favorite voice in rap right now. I'd never heard of Bloody Jay until this project but he offers a more grounded approach that balances nicely with Thug's eccentricity. standout tracks are "Danny Glover" and "Florida Water".

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Two recent rap releases that I'm enjoying:

Step Brothers - Lord Steppington: Alchemist and Evidence produced this album. If you like traditional rappity-rap hip-hop with excellent, boom-bap production, you should check this out. guest raps from Bronson, Marciano, Blu, Domo, Styles P, Fashawn and more. standout tracks are "See The Rich Man Play" and "Banging Sound".

Young Thug & Bloody Jay - Black Portland: this one's on the more weird, experimental, garbled-rap tip. Young Thug is probably my favorite voice in rap right now. I'd never heard of Bloody Jay until this project but he offers a more grounded approach that balances nicely with Thug's eccentricity. standout tracks are "Danny Glover" and "Florida Water".
    enjoying both those releases as well. Scotty Lavin (Scott Caan from Entourage) rapping on the Step Brothers album was hilarious. I never realized he used to rap with Alchemist back in the day.

I still haven't fully gotten into Young Thug but I'm intrigued. His voice is out there but I felt the same way about Danny Brown at first and now he's my favorite. So I assume after more listens I'll really start to enjoy his shit

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    They did release an album last year but this is a new composition entitled "Enter!".
    gotcha

Really enjoying James Vincent McMorrow's album. should be a good set at chella

enjoying both those releases as well. Scotty Lavin (Scott Caan from Entourage) rapping on the Step Brothers album was hilarious. I never realized he used to rap with Alchemist back in the day.

I still haven't fully gotten into Young Thug but I'm intrigued. His voice is out there but I felt the same way about Danny Brown at first and now he's my favorite. So I assume after more listens I'll really start to enjoy his shit.
    ha! I had no idea Scott Caan was on there. I just looked up his history with Alchemist. how odd.

Yeah, it took me a minute to get into Young Thug, but 1017 Thug ended up being one of my favorite releases last year.

McMorrow's voice is astounding live. You'll have a good time, ods

The Isaiah Rashad lp, Cilvia Demo has been on repeat for a week. Digging it a lot. Some more great hip hop from TDE

feelin the new 9th Wonder compilation... tracks feat. Rapsody and Talib!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/9t...la/id807321719

5/03 Danny Brown at El Rey
    5/23-25 Sasquatch! at The Gorge
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival at Echoplex
    6/22 Talib Kweli at Echoplex
    7/11 J5 / Quannum Projects at Greek Theatre Berkely
    8/25 - Nine Inch Nails / Soundgarden / Death Grips at Hollywood Bowl

So: if an artist essentially remakes an album that they released 12 years prior, do we hold it against the artist, even if the new album is really good?

Asking for a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I was thinking the same thing, but I enjoyed it and look forward to listening again.

No disagreement there, it was a great listen.

Morning Phase exceeded my expectations which were very high.

It's quite similar in style but, at least on my first impression, the tone on this one is just a bit more upbeat than Sea Change. Only just, though.

guys.

this album is so fucking good.

Pretty good release by Beck, probably his finest work since Guero
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

After one and a half listens to Morning Phase, I wasn't all that into it. I wasn't really expecting to be, though. I'm not much of a Sea Change fan either. There were a couple standouts but otherwise it was pretty bland. I'm going to give it a few more tries and see if it clicks.

I've really liked this band's progression since catching them open for Foals in 2010 so I pledged! I can't wait to hear this new album coming out later this year

Recording our third album with Steve Albini this summer

Dear Friends,

We are delighted to announce that this summer we will record our new album with Steve Albini at Electrical Audio in Chicago. This album represents our most exciting and ambitious studio project to date, with a release scheduled for early autumn 2014.

The new music we have written has become an exploration first and foremost of what we can create while locked away in a small room with just our instruments for company. The songs are led by the primal beat of a drum and the rattle of cymbals. This heartbeat guides the guitars and voice, everything entwined, everything reacting to the sounds around it.

With Steve’s help, we will capture the live essence of the music we have written, push ourselves as far as possible and make the music as powerful as it can be. The songs are written and ready, the recording dates booked in, and we are asking for your help to support this adventure.

We will release the album on our very own label, having recently concluded our relationship with Matador. The decision was a mutual one with no ill feeling; we both felt that our futures lay apart. We have wanted to set up a label of our own for a while, so when this opportunity arose, ideas began to crystallise, cogs began turning and the wheels rolled, gradually, into motion.

In the future we plan to use our label to release music by artists we love as well as anything Esben related. It is to be a hub and an extension of the Esben realm.

So this is our mission, and we intend to follow it whatever happens. Any pledges you make will go directly towards the recording costs of the new album, and you will get a copy in return – kind of like a pre-order service. We have also created a series of bespoke items that have never before seen the yellow light, black cloth and battered coat hangers of the merch stand.

One such item is a bonus EP called “And new life blossoms from the ruins”. It will only be available through Pledge Music, and contains five tracks – atmospheric drones and jams that began life as wandering guitar passages and are now accompanied by ambient vocal loops, underpinned by synths and feedback. We’ve taken these songs in a different direction but feel they will serve as a fine companion to the new album. Each signed EP comes in a hand-assembled sleeve with a cover drawn by Rachel.

We encourage you to browse the list and pledge whatever feels right to you.

Thank you for all your support.

Onwards!

Daniel, Thomas and Rachel
    Esben And The Witch

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/esbenandthewitch

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Spooks, this thread is for you to tell us what you think about 2014 releases. And also, if you're going to post about a band, maybe indicate who it is prior to the last sentence?

Those of you claiming the Beck album is the same as Sea Change may want to revisit that release. Similar instrumentation, but I got a very different feel from it on first listen, and second spin only confirmed that.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Really loving the BANKS single produced by Shlohmo. Excited to hear this girl's album...

Andrew Ashong's new EP is fucking brilliant as well. His EP 'Flowers' from 2012 was one of my favs of that year. He's back with these cleaaaaaaan sounds that get me moving. This is one of the tracks (ripped from Gilles Peterson's radio show, so I can't comment on quality. The real one is out now though).

Also, this self-titled debut by Eagulls is pretty awesome. Just a couple songs in but really enjoying it. Excellent post-punk vibes.

Last edited by ods..; 02-01-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Also, this self-titled debut by Eagulls is pretty awesome. Just a couple songs in but really enjoying it. Excellent post-punk vibes.

I've been enjoying the single, "Possessed". didn't know it had leaked. group?

The Isaiah Rashad lp, Cilvia Demo has been on repeat for a week. Digging it a lot. Some more great hip hop from TDE
    Yep. The shit.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm going to blatantly break the rules here and, in the hopes that the actual album will come out this year, use this thread to discuss how awesome the Jai Paul leaked album from last year is. Really, really good.

Second new song from forthcoming The Men album Tomorrow's Hits is previewed here.

It is also exceedingly awesome.

Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials is a beautiful piece of modern composition, borderline minimalism at times, and it was a very happily surprising album throughout. I think it's the best thing I've ever heard that Sunn has been a part of. While there are still some deep drones (mostly confined to track 2), it's not your typical Sunn O))) BRRRRM record.

Oren Ambarchi - Amulet is something I had been skeptical to hear because they are live recordings made on an iPhone, but the sound fidelity is actually quite good and the music is worth hearing. The first track starts out with chimes that continue throughout behind noise from what I assume is Ambarchi's tabletop guitar. The second track contains the same chimes, but here they are the focus, and it's a much gentler, more subtle song.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Second new song from forthcoming The Men album Tomorrow's Hits is previewed here.

It is also exceedingly awesome.
    Oh my, this is very, very nice; you'd think it would essentially defeat from their ramshackle aesthetic, but the increased production fidelity actually has really worked out well on these first two singles.

The Sun Kil Moon album is as good or better as advertised. It is literary in the best sense of the word, brimming with emotion and life and humor and anger and confession and insight and love. "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love," is the most devastatingly beautiful song I've heard in years; it's the one that drove me to tears, not the one about mass shooting victims, or the two about working class relatives dying horrific deaths in freak accidents. The amount and quality of detail in these songs is astounding. It's late and I need to go to bed, but I just want to keep listening to this thing, mining every little reference and parsing each piece of world play. Just an incredible piece of work.

Ahh I want to listen to that so bad, it sounds so great. Not having a computer is shitty. Hopefully it's on Spotify soon.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Blank Realm's Grassed In is super super awesome. A lot of "garage rock" these days, I'd guess you call it, is super samey and boring but not this. You guys should check it out if you haven't already! Especially if you like Thee Oh Sees or Black Lips.
    Last edited by FEELS; 02-04-2014 at 10:53 PM.

9/11 Swans @ The Roxy
    9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The Sun Kil Moon album is as good or better as advertised. It is literary in the best sense of the word, brimming with emotion and life and humor and anger and confession and insight and love. "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love," is the most devastatingly beautiful song I've heard in years; it's the one that drove me to tears, not the one about mass shooting victims, or the two about working class relatives dying horrific deaths in freak accidents. The amount and quality of detail in these songs is astounding. It's late and I need to go to bed, but I just want to keep listening to this thing, mining every little reference and parsing each piece of world play. Just an incredible piece of work.

Agreed! Absolutely awesome record! Always liked his stuff but this is by far the best work he's put out. Incredible lyrics and overall vibe to the album... completely sucks you in.

Also breaking the rules slightly: 2014 Collaborative Playlist on Spotify is ready for y'all to follow and add favorite tracks to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.