Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office Space Thread II - humanitarian edition

Default Re: The Office Space Thread II - humanitarian edition

I find a lot of receptionists take offense to being asked to do anything outside of their normal scope. It's silly really. Support staff is there to support people when they need something.

Our receptionist has a specific set of tasks and she takes those tasks very seriously. If asked to do anything beyond that she has to ask the office manager if it's ok. The emails I get from her from time to time make me laugh. She scans some of the guys timesheets into our electronic filing cabinet. She sent several back because someone had changed the formula, instead of reading that he worked 3:30 (3 hours and 30 minutes) it read 3.5 hours... She flipped out because IT WAS WRONG!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

It makes me crazy when people can't think creatively to help you solve a problem, and when they are so limited by the scope of their set tasks that asking for something a little different or that would have them go slightly above and beyond is unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Not always a single right way, though. When I worked for my dad we battled a lot because I found my own way of doing things, he wanted it done his way. Always told him that just because it's not done his way means it's the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    It makes me crazy when people can't think creatively to help you solve a problem, and when they are so limited by the scope of their set tasks that asking for something a little different or that would have them go slightly above and beyond is unreasonable.
    Same. I can't stand it when people are afraid to do anything that they haven't been specifically told is okay. Any manager that doesn't want people to think for themselves is usually a manager I try to avoid.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

I know; I was joking. That's how those types of people feel.

Personally, I just like to be told what to do. SO EASY. Someone else make all the decisions, please and thank you.

I have no problem doing things for other people in other departments, but marketing started taking advantage of me and I eventually said no to one of their requests.

Though later, I volunteered to do a large, tedious project for them because I saw that no one in the department was doing it.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

yes, that's the thing, you don't want to be doing way more than your job and not getting paid for it.

I'm in the process of a mass mailing. I can't seem to find an envelop sealer anywhere. I think I may ask our receptionist to lick all the envelops shut.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    yes, that's the thing, you don't want to be doing way more than your job and not getting paid for it.
    Because showing initiative never pays off. I know quite a few people who showed up and worked for free for months or even a year or two in a particular field to get their foot in the door, to show they wanted it. Paid off handsomely for several.

Jesus Christ. I asked the woman to print 1 document for me, not to help me analyze my monthly budget. I'm sure she told all her cats about it when she got home last night.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Jesus Christ. I asked the woman to print 1 document for me, not to help me analyze my monthly budget. I'm sure she told all her cats about it when she got home last night.
    Hahaha

Hey Ron, oh wait, this isn't the orifice space thread. Sorry.

Here is the receipt...I will get it in you
    The guys I work with send a lot of emails from their phone. Ever once in awhile they miss words. I am hoping that is the case here. I don't want the receipt in me.

Sexual harassment.

I received a blank email from an employee with the subject "Tax Withholdings." After a few hours, I replied, "[Employee], I received this blank email from you. Did you have an issue with your withholdings or did you want to change it?" His reply was, "Thank you. Yes."

I keep forgetting that being psychic was on my job description.

An employee who resigned is refusing to return company property worth about $2,000 until he receives his expense reimbursements totaling approximately $7,000. I really wish I could tell him to just keep the property and we'll keep his money.

What property does he have?

And honestly, I understand his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    An employee who resigned is refusing to return company property worth about $2,000 until he receives his expense reimbursements totaling approximately $7,000. I really wish I could tell him to just keep the property and we'll keep his money.
    Was the resignation abrupt? Wouldn't you normally have all his check/s ready on his last day when he would normally turn this stuff in. Or is the law (not sure which law, but one that says everything has to be paid out on the person's last day) only applicable to wages?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Was the resignation abrupt? Wouldn't you normally have all his check/s ready on his last day when he would normally turn this stuff in. Or is the law (not sure which law, but one that says everything has to be paid out on the person's last day) only applicable to wages?
    By law, we only have to pay wages owed (hours worked, vacation) by his last day of employment. He needed to turn in his receipts and get approval before we can pay back expense reimbursements.

If he was negligent in turning in receipts during his employment you may be able to tell him it's too bad.. did he turn them in before his last day of employment?
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

My boss just got demoted back to the field, they have given his job "temporarily" to two guys who drive me crazy. Cocky, unhelpful, non paperwork turning in assholes. Ugh.

This isn't the first time I've dressed for work and ended up working from home.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

When I need information from my guys I try to be very specific in what information I need. I usually give them choices... It's either A, B or C... That is even too hard at times:

Chuck, on your DSR I need you to list if the parts are from stock, non stock, vendor or truck stock. The shelf doesn’t tell me anything. Any parts you use need to show where they came from, if it’s inventory or truck stock I need part numbers, if it’s a vendor I need a PO.
    I agree
    AGHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm doing some recruiting for some sensitive areas of the Canadian government, and all the roles require special secret level security clearances and certifications. These people are so hard to find and nail down, but they seem to find the most ridiculous excuses for not hiring someone. "He has too much health care experience." WTF! It's like they are trying to waste our time and drag things out, and it's so aggravating.

When did it become appropriate to bring your child to work because there wasn't a babysitter available?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

That should never be appropriate. That person should call in sick. Also, they should be asked to leave work for the day.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I think it depends on the age of the kid. Young kids are a nono, but when my kids were teens and got suspended from school, I would take them to work and make them do my filing. Better than sitting at home all day playing video games or watching judge judy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    When did it become appropriate to bring your child to work because there wasn't a babysitter available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    That should never be appropriate. That person should call in sick. Also, they should be asked to leave work for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I think it depends on the age of the kid. Young kids are a nono, but when my kids were teens and got suspended from school, I would take them to work and make them do my filing. Better than sitting at home all day playing video games or watching judge judy.
    We have something called "Kincare" where an associate can call in sick to take care of a child. The policy states that these cannot be used as "occurrences" when reviewing absenteeism. I thought it was California law but maybe it's just my company.

Also, I think i'll leave early today after being forced to sit in a room for 2 hours with a bunch of programmers to review an implementation plan. The worst.