Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office Space Thread II - humanitarian edition

Default Re: The Office Space Thread II - humanitarian edition

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Post the pic in the break room, and threaten to start dusting for prints.
    I just told Robin I was going to purchase a fingerprint kit for my own sleuthing.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Next step is to gift everyone with a personalized coffee mug.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

In hopes of escaping my office birthday, I'm taking Monday off.
    I now have to come in on Saturday and make up some of those hours because of a Tuesday deadline. Go figure.
    And please oh please oh please, don't let there be a cake in the other room. I just want to go home.
    /rant

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I just told Robin I was going to purchase a fingerprint kit for my own sleuthing.
    I have a theory. Are they all attached by a seam, and maybe instead of taking her time ripping one off by using two hands she just pulled on it, and a whole bunch come out if the dispenser and she feels like too much of a tool to try and put them back, or just doesn't give a shit about wasting them, and just chucks them?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I have a theory. Are they all attached by a seam, and maybe instead of taking her time ripping one off by using two hands she just pulled on it, and a whole bunch come out if the dispenser and she feels like too much of a tool to try and put them back, or just doesn't give a shit about wasting them, and just chucks them?
    They're not attached to each other.

We have speculations on who it may be.

Our boss has decided our department needs to have bi-weekly check in meetings. Is it solely because of the Mystery of the Toilet Seat Cover Tyrant? Hard to say. But also, probably yes.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

I'd be just as curious about the why as the who.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Hilarious.

A few weeks ago my office told me I would be traveling to Fort Dodge (The middle of nowhere) Iowa for a site install. Got a text today "Do you have a passport" to which my positive affirmation led to the follow-up "Good there's a morgue in Canada we need you to go visit in May".
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Sheldorrr, what do you do for a living?

I got ice cream and brownies as part of our office celebration for April birthdays.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

The only good Canadian is a dead Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Sheldorrr, what do you do for a living?

I got ice cream and brownies as part of our office celebration for April birthdays.
    Nice! I work in RFID Tech Support. Basically working in the software department for a company that helps gather data for store/warehouse inventory. Imagine you go into a Verizon store and pick up X and Z phone, we write software that tracks that and manages the analytics of that and what other customers did when they entered the store.

The only good Canadian is a dead Canadian.
    Me and Rage being the exceptions of course, oh and JorgeC.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 04-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Am I an honorary Canadian now?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

Am I an honorary Canadian now?
    Your location says Ontario, I assumed incorrectly. I'm so Canadian it's embarrassing.

Your location says Ontario, I assumed incorrectly. I'm so Canadian it's embarrassing.
    I recently took my first trip to Vancouver and pretty much fell in love with the place. I'm heading to Toronto in May. Never been before but I will definitely be hitting up the canadian board members for tips on where to get the best poutine.

yeah, Ontario, CA and Ontario, Canada. My claim to fame is an "international" airport with no international flights and a large outlet mall. You are forgiven.

FUN FACT: IRS once sent my parents' tax refund to Canada (that may have been a postal service error tho).

yeah, Ontario, CA and Ontario, Canada. My claim to fame is an "international" airport with no international flights and a large outlet mall. You are forgiven.

FUN FACT: IRS once sent my parents' tax refund to Canada (that may have been a postal service error tho).
    I once booked an international meeting 3 hours off because of this mix-up when I was working my first job. Googled 'Time in Ontario Ca' and didn't bother to do anything more.

Annnnnd someone just asked for an example of what rounding up or down means. "Like if it's a 1.9, does that become a 2? and a 1.2 becomes a 1?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Oh dear. Even I know that.

The follow-up question was "Are we doing that, or are we just rounding?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Now you've lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I start a new job in a week and a half. Today I asked if there was going to be a drug screen... I wanted to know if I had to budget for fake pee. She said "no drug screen needed, we figure what people do outside of work is thier business. Our owner is a huge party animal, so we worry more about him than anyone else"... YES!!!!
    My friend got busted with the fake pee. When is the last time you used it? Same friend used fake pee a few years back with no problem. But a few months ago, they detected it was fake and got de-nied!
    They're all gonna laugh at you

"de-nied"
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Just took a position within my company and was offered a 30% raise while the other people who moved on to more stressful jobs we're offered less then 5%. Im going to just keep my mouth shut and sign the contract
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole. Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

Now soliciting any and all advice, feedback, preparation recommendations, best practices summaries regarding consulting or contract work.

Quick background:
    After nearly 4 years on the job, I resigned from my last employer in December to take on a temporary contract opportunity with a company I've always dreamed of working for. The temp position was, effectively, a consultancy, but I was signed on as an hourly temporary employee (with a regular bi-weekly paycheck etc), not as a contractor/consultant. That temporary assignment is ending in June. My former employer -- the org I resigned from in December -- has gotten wind that I'll be ending my temp assignment in June and has offered me a pretty generous 3-4 month consultancy gig with them. In this case, I will not be brought on as a temp employee, but will invoice them. Billing terms (monthly, Net 30 etc. are still TBD). Before negations have even started, they've offered me an hourly consulting rate that's nearly double what my hourly rate would have been (had I been hourly, and not salaried) when I was their employee. If I'd known that consulting could be this lucrative, I would have quit long ago!

Add'l info:
    • I maintain a very good relationship with everyone I worked with at this old company.
    • The gig is part-time -- they want me 3 days a week (24 billable hours a week)
    • The shortest the contract would be is 2 months; it's likely to continue for 3-4 months
    • I'll be assisting with day-to-day managment, but also managing two big new marketing/product projects
    • I've only had a couple of emails back and forth. My first phone discussion/negotiation will be happening Monday morning.
    • I've spoken to former staffers who now consult for this same company, and they've candidly told me they were able to negotiate very competitive hourly rates quite easily
    • I'm very interested in a short-term opportunity with this former employer, but have no desire to return to them full time as an employee
    • I don't plan to continue consulting full-time after this assignment and will be conducting my post-assignment job search during this period. My goal is to have a new permanent position with a new company by EOY. The new client is already aware of this has no issue with this.
    • This is the first time I'm actually capital "C" consulting, so any and all advice -- even if it sounds obvious -- is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Now soliciting any and all advice, feedback, preparation recommendations, best practices summaries regarding consulting or contract work.

Quick background:
    After nearly 4 years on the job, I resigned from my last employer in December to take on a temporary contract opportunity with a company I've always dreamed of working for. The temp position was, effectively, a consultancy, but I was signed on as an hourly temporary employee (with a regular bi-weekly paycheck etc), not as a contractor/consultant. That temporary assignment is ending in June. My former employer -- the org I resigned from in December -- has gotten wind that I'll be ending my temp assignment in June and has offered me a pretty generous 3-4 month consultancy gig with them. In this case, I will not be brought on as a temp employee, but will invoice them. Billing terms (monthly, Net 30 etc. are still TBD). Before negations have even started, they've offered me an hourly consulting rate that's nearly double what my hourly rate would have been (had I been hourly, and not salaried) when I was their employee. If I'd known that consulting could be this lucrative, I would have quit long ago!

Add'l info:
    • I maintain a very good relationship with everyone I worked with at this old company.
    • The gig is part-time -- they want me 3 days a week (24 billable hours a week)
    • The shortest the contract would be is 2 months; it's likely to continue for 3-4 months
    • I'll be assisting with day-to-day managment, but also managing two big new marketing/product projects
    • I've only had a couple of emails back and forth. My first phone discussion/negotiation will be happening Monday morning.
    • I've spoken to former staffers who now consult for this same company, and they've candidly told me they were able to negotiate very competitive hourly rates quite easily
    • I'm very interested in a short-term opportunity with this former employer, but have no desire to return to them full time as an employee
    • I don't plan to continue consulting full-time after this assignment and will be conducting my post-assignment job search during this period. My goal is to have a new permanent position with a new company by EOY. The new client is already aware of this has no issue with this.
    • This is the first time I'm actually capital "C" consulting, so any and all advice -- even if it sounds obvious -- is greatly appreciated.
    I would suggest that you become well versed in how you will be taxed and make sure you have an understanding of how much you will need to set aside because it's doubtful you'll be taxed by the company, and I'd probably consult an accountant. You will also probably have no benefits if you are an independent. Find out what the legalities and any obligations you have. Are you required to set up an LLC or an Inc? What are the terms on extension or an early termination by either party? Those are the first things I would look into.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i recently set up an LLC for my marketing operation. LLCs aren't recognized by the federal government, when you file your taxes for an LLC you use a 1040 form and are taxed as one individual. It's very easy and legal to choose to be taxed as an S-corp which cuts down a lot of the paperwork involved and lowers your effective tax rate.

that's as far as I've gotten. I'm only one month in.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by wakeupmandy View Post
    My friend got busted with the fake pee. When is the last time you used it? Same friend used fake pee a few years back with no problem. But a few months ago, they detected it was fake and got de-nied!
    I used it 6 months ago and passed. Was it to temp?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I used it 6 months ago and passed. Was it to temp?
    It was a job as a pharmaceutical tech at a hospital. But he took the pee test at Lab Corp, the same place half the people in our city takes employee drug tests...weird.
    They're all gonna laugh at you