Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moogfest 2014 - April 23 - 27, 2014 - Asheville, NC

Default Re: Moogfest 2014 - April 23 - 27, 2014 - Asheville, NC

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Oh, so this is why most of the good electronic acts aren't available for Coachella.
    It's definitely because Coachella asked all of these first and were turned down.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Checking that poster a few posts back, Pet Shop Boys, MIA, Flying Lotus and Dillion Francis are good adds.

Pet Shop Boys are headlining the opening night

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Oh, so this is why most of the good electronic acts aren't available for Coachella.
    as it stands, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this lineup. some good stuff at the top but a fair bit of garbage throughout as well.

still stunned that gv wasn't able to snag moderat.

as for the lack of good electronic acts at coachella, there really is no reasonable explanation. that nonsense about availability falls flat when talking about booking some dj's with solid record bags. so many from which to choose. I just assume gv has no idea as to who they are

There's a ton of stuff I'm into below the big names: Adult, Audion, Avey Tare, Black Dice, Blondes, Bottin, Daedelus, Dan Deacon, Erika, Factory Floor, Green Velvet (despite overexposure), Hieroglyphic Being, Jimmy Edgar, Machinedrum, Metro Area, Mike Huckaby, Mike Simonetti (maybe, not sure I've listened to a ton, but I'm a sucker for Italians Do It Better), Slow Hands, Crystal Ark, Gaslamp Killer, Tiga, Wolf Eyes. Not a lot that's very rare and I've seen at least half of those, but still an extremely solid set of artists that I'd be happy to catch again.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

fair play. I'd check out a decent chunk of that. some more enthusiastically than others. but I'm not looking at that and thinking I really should go.

unrelated thought ... laurel halo would be a great addition.

She played MOEMS last year.

I'm surprised Stellar Om Source isn't there..

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    fair play. I'd check out a decent chunk of that. some more enthusiastically than others. but I'm not looking at that and thinking I really should go.

unrelated thought ... laurel halo would be a great addition.
    On it's own, it's simply ok, but paired with Kraftwerk, Laurie Anderson, Chic, Giorgio Moroder and Moderat, it's much more enticing.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm surprised Stellar Om Source isn't there..
    "This is not the final lineup, more to come! We will be announcing more additions closer to the festival date." - Moogfest

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

This is a fantastic deal for $99 festival passes and it's only good til tomorrow.

http://clatl.com/cribnotes/archives/...014-flash-sale

ADULT did a Moogfest mix of the Ghostly artists that will be at Moogfest. https://soundcloud.com/ghostly/ghost...t-mix-for-moog

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Laurie Anderson cancelled too, in case you didn't notice. Huge bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Heiroglyphic being. If anyone goes to this hit up the mojo taco lounge and tell them i sent you.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Hot damn...

Q-Tip, El-P, Saul Williams and more added....

“We saved the Q-Tip toward the end of the announcements because we felt like he was a bit of a left turn from the other programming. We don’t want people to feel like they know what Moogfest is. This is not a typical musical festival.”

The hip-hop legend tops the latest round of Moogfest lineup and festival details announced Tuesday.

Grammy-award winning Q-Tip, who started off in groundbreaking A Tribe Called Quest, will be joined by fast-flowing MC and futuristic producer EL-P, as well as media-melding musician, poet and performer Saul Williams, during the retooled Moogfest April 23-27.
    http://www.citizen-times.com/article...oogfest-lineup

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Moogfest 2014 Daytime Panels and Conversations

The Future of Creativity
    World-renowned futurists, philosophers and artists tackle the big questions: What will art look like and sound like 20, 50, 100 years from now? How will it be made and how will it be consumed? What will be the tools of creative expression in the future? Three keynote addresses by Oxford University philosopher Nick Bostrom; Jerome C. Glenn, CEO of the Millennium Project; and bioethicist, transhumanist, and futurist George Dvorsky.

Dance, Dance, Dance to Let's Dance: A Masterclass by Nile Rodgers
    For the first time ever, one of music's greatest producers will reveal the intimate details behind all of his biggest recordings. We'll listen to a selection of his classics from beginning to end, and after each Nile Rodgers will tell us the stories behind each one, from inspiration to songwriting to collaboration to recording, pulling back the curtain on what goes into making timeless hits with David Bowie, Daft Punk, Diana Ross, Madonna, Chic, and more.

The Pioneers of Electronic Music Instruments
    Don Buchla invented one of the first modular synthesizers. Roger Linn invented the drum machine. Tom Oberheim founded four electronic instrument companies. Dave Smith is the "Father of MIDI". David Borden is one of the earliest composers of electronic music. All will be sharing their histories and discussing the inspirations for the inventions that changed the course of music.

Innovators In Electronic Music
    In-depth discussions with four geniuses who forever changed the sound of music. Herb Deutsch, an early collaborator with Bob Moog, performs a musical talk "From Moog to Mac". Malcolm Cecil built synthesizers for Stevie Wonder and invented T.O.N.T.O., the first multitimbral polyphonic synthesizer. Electronic music pioneer Giorgio Moroder brought the synthesizer into film music. Plus Dave Tompkins, author of How To Wreck a Nice Beach, surveys the history of the vocoder, from World War II espionage to the auto-tuning of pop music.

The Math and Science of The Simpsons and Futurama
    Simon Singh, author of The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets, leads the creator of Futurama David X. Cohen, plus Futurama/The Simpsons writers Stewart Burns, Jeff Westbrook and Ken Keeler (who happens to have a PhD in applied math from Harvard and holds a Masters degree in electrical engineering from Stanford), through the mysterious math and science riddles weaved into to countless episodes of two of the greatest TV shows ever, with screenings of key scenes.

Sounds of Space
    Astrophysicists, scientists and artists discuss the important research on sound in space. Questions about art and music for this world and beyond with University of Iowa's Department of Physics and Astronomy's William Kurth; the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)'s Artist In Residence Charles Lindsay, more.

New Forms presented by MIT Media Lab
    The MIT Media Lab is an interdisciplinary research laboratory devoted to projects at the convergence of technology, multimedia and design. Professors and students will present their new research, observations and innovations, hosted by Professor Joseph Paradiso, director of the Things That Think Consortium.

Google and the Future of Audio
    Come hear firsthand accounts of Google's foray into the intersection of music and technology from members of the Android, Creative Lab, Data Arts, and Doodle teams. Witness and engage in a dialogue about the challenges, triumphs, adventures, and aspirations of mixing sounds and code. With Ryan Germick, Leon Hong, Joey Hurst, Aaron Koblin, Raph Levien, and Alexander Chen.

A Talk with The Electric Lady
    The ArchAndroid herself, Janelle Monae, takes us on journey through her sci-fi universe, filled with psychedelic soul music and a dystopian futurism, along with her fellow voyagers Nate Rocket Wonder and Chuck Lightning.

Music Makers, presented by MAKE Magazine
    In the spirit of Bob Moog, music lovers and crazed inventors have created new instruments from the oddest materials, and MAKE Magazine invites everyone to tweak, hack, and bend technology to their own will. Presentations and performances, hosted by MAKE's editor Mark Frauenfelder, with Forrest Mims, author of Getting Started in Electronics; composer Nicolas Collins, author of Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking; Drew Blanke aka Dr. Blankenstein, mad scientist of analog synthesizers and atari punks; Jay Silver, founder of Makey Makey; and hacker/inventor Tom Zimmerman.

Science Fiction & the Synthesized Sound, presented by OMNI Reboot
    Turn on the radio in the year 3000, and what will you hear? When we make first contact with an alien race, will we--as in Close Encounters of the Third Kind--communicate through melody? If the future has a sound, what can it possibly be? OMNI Reboot has assembled a crack team of future dreamers to answer these, and many more, questions. We will picture the mundane realities of the future, provide a soundtrack to science-fiction landscapes, ponder what science fiction film music tells us about our expectations for tomorrow, and hazard some guesses at the musical aesthetics of extraterrestrials. With writer Martine Syms, artist Neal Reinhalda, musician King Britt, astronomer Doug Vakoch, and OMNI Reboot editor Claire Evans.

The Nature of Creativity, presented by Afropunk
    Where do artistic notions begin -- and where do they end? What are the tools of creativity, and who are its models? A frank discussion about what it means to be a creative being in a modern world amongst three AFROPUNK originals, artist Sanford Biggers, writer/critic Greg Tate and poet/performer Saul Williams. Plus a screening of Sanford Biggers' groundbreaking The Triptych documentary series.

Design Makes Music Come Alive
    A new generation of visual artists and designers are using innovative technological tools to create immersive, interactive narratives unlike any ever experienced before. The brains behind visionary visuals and immersive interactions for Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga, Nine Inch Nails, Arcade Fire, Flying Lotus and Skrillex share their secrets. With Willo Perron, Aaron Koblin, Alex Leiu, and David Wexler.

Sonification and Cybernetics
    Can you visualize music as data? Professor Bruce Walker of Georgia Institute of Technology's Sonification Lab discusses new technologies that illustrate information with sound. Can you see colors as sounds? Contemporary artist Neil Harbisson was born with the inability to see color. With a prosthetic device called an "eyeborg," he can now hear the spectrum and create symphonies out of everything he sees, and has become the planet's first human cyborg. Harbisson will perform live and talk about the launch of the Cyborg Foundation, a nonprofit organization that aims to help people become cyborgs and promote cybernetics in the arts.

What Does Play Sound Like? Presented by Kill Screen
    From the wakka wakka of Pac-Man to the immersive soundscapes of Grand Theft Auto, sound design has been one of the unsung heroes of games. Videogame arts and culture company Kill Screen is bringing together some of the best minds inside and outside games including Daedalus, Matthew Lee Johnston, Matt Bock, Robin Arnott, Karla Zimonja and Gretta Cohn, to talk about creating interactivity with sound.
    Transformations: Visualization, Sonification, & Alternative Interfaces presented by the Eyeo Festival
    An afternoon exploring the art of visualizing sound data, sonifying soundless data and creating alternative interfaces for sound generation and manipulation with Scott Snibbe and Yuri Suzuk.
    Last edited by Spooks; 02-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Dance, Dance, Dance to Let’s Dance: A Master Class by Nile Rodgers is going to be great.

Schedules by Day

Wednesday April 23rd ($49 day ticket)
    Pet Shop Boys
    Flying Lotus
    El-P
    Soul Clap
    Slow Hands
    No Regular Play
    Nick Monaco
    C Powers

Thursday April 24th ($89 day ticket)
    Kraftwerk
    Keith Emerson
    Bernie Worrell Orchestra
    Audion
    Sasha
    Tiga
    Green Velvet
    Com Truise (DJ)
    Shigeto
    ADULT.
    Art Department
    Nitin
    Louie Fresco
    Eric Volta
    Jimmy Edgar
    Ejecta
    Wolf Eyes
    Black Dice
    Dan Deacon
    YACHT
    The Jellyrox
    Tin Foil Hat
    Hello Hugo
    Aligning Minds
    Noah Wall
    North Americans
    Eaters
    Megafortress
    Awesome Tapes From Africa
    Ataxia
    Teengirl Fantasy

Friday April 25th ($89 day ticket)
    Kraftwerk - 2 shows
    Giorgio Moroder
    Moderat
    Dillon Francis
    Q-Tip
    Riff Raff
    Egyptian Lover
    Gent & Jawns
    Lapalux
    Daedelus
    Tokimonsta
    The Gas Lamp Killer
    patten
    Clark – Phosphor Live
    Darkstar
    Mike Simonetti
    Bottin
    Thugfucker
    Metro Area
    Keith Kemp
    Erika
    Reference – live
    Mike Huckaby
    Razor & Blade
    In Plain Sight
    Earthtone Soundsystem
    Kri & Sensoma
    UR Presents: Timeline

Saturday April 26th ($89 day ticket*)
    CHIC feat. Nile Rodgers
    M.I.A.
    Zed’s Dead
    RJD2
    Mark Farina
    \Machinedrum Vapor Space Live
    Saul Williams
    Escort
    The Crystal Ark
    Museum of Love
    Factory Floor
    Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks
    Kaytranada
    Hieroglyphic Being
    Craig Leon – Nommos Live
    Holly Herndon
    Blondes
    Publicist
    Les Sins
    Gordon Voidwell
    LE1F
    Bombassic
    The Volt Per Octaves
    Brett Rock
    DLX
    Two Fresh
    Eliot Lipp
    Heads on Sticks
    Body Games
    RBTS Win
    Marley Carroll
    Higher Learning

Sunday April 27th (*Free with Saturday Ticket Purchase)
    FOOLS GOLD SHOWCASE
    Nick Catchdubs
    Treasure Fingers
    Just Blaze
    High Klassified

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

This is such an amazingly fantastic lineup/festival. Its so interesting how it takes place in raleigh nc out of all places. I wasn't aware it was such a hotspot for this kind of music. Its a shame major cities have monopolies on festivals at this point. I think new york does brooklyn fest of something. But, what a great lineup, its like it should be London or something.

Fest is in Asheville not Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by homersexual View Post
    This is such an amazingly fantastic lineup/festival. Its so interesting how it takes place in raleigh nc out of all places. I wasn't aware it was such a hotspot for this kind of music. Its a shame major cities have monopolies on festivals at this point. I think new york does brooklyn fest of something. But, what a great lineup, its like it should be London or something.
    Thought this was the Merge 25 thread?

Also Raleigh has Hopscotch Fest every year, which is pretty fantastic.

So I have tickets for this, but I am broke. I am looking to either:

1) Sell my Moogfest tickets (daytime talks and nighttime concerts) for way less than the $335 I paid for them. Any takers? I'd be willing to go pretty low. PM me.
    or
    2) find someone to crash with in Asheville. Anybody able to host? I'm a very nice adult citizen who doesn't drink or use drugs, so I make for a polite and generous houseguest. I have also hosted boardie Rage Patton at my place in Chicago and spent considerable time with KoryP and Squeaks, all who can vouch for my overall mellowness. Any leads, PM me.

THANKS DUDES
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Did anyone end up attending this? I am just curious as to what the festival was like, how many people were in attendance etc etc.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

concergoer went. His wicked weed addiction is confirmed.

Moderat played the DWT which is crazy.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 05-04-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

It was surprisingly pretty well attended. A lot of the shows hit capacity. Moderat inside the DWT was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.

Awesome to hear on both counts. Especially the well attended part. It's too bad Mountain Oasis is gone after only one go, so hopefully MoogFest continues on into the future.

And the beer at Wicked Weed is insanely delicious.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

mountain oasis and the ol moog were the same fest, run by ac/superfly. it was 3 days, thhen 2, then three again. after 2012 moog music too the name back to run their own festival which debuted this year. it's too bad MOEMS died, i thought it was pretty successful, although we barely left the arena except to get beers.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Oh, I am aware of the history and the distinction. MOEMS was incredibly well run and it seems like attendance was on par with what they expected, so the cancellation of the 2014 edition was surprising to me. I was just stating that, although I haven't attended MoogFest, I fell in love with the city of Asheville while I was there and I wish MoogFest the best continuing into the future. I would love to attend it one day.