Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warpaint

Default Re: Warpaint

Love the solo version of "Baby." Such a great closing song:

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    I had a ticket to see them a few weeks back and decided not to go last minute. Regretting it now...
    thats awesome
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

New Warpaint is pure vibes. ‘Warpaint’ was co-produced by Warpaint and Flood, and mixed by Flood and Nigel Godrich?! Can't get over this, what a way to return...

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ Terminal 5
    10/16 Flying Lotus @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick
    10/18 Ambivalent/Mike Dehnert @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Saw them last month. Really diggin' their new songs. Can't wait for the next album and a chance to see them on tour again.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

This was posted yesterday

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ Terminal 5
    10/16 Flying Lotus @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick
    10/18 Ambivalent/Mike Dehnert @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I'm so looking forward to seeing them.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

MON 01/20/14 PARIS, FRANCE — The Trabendo
    THU 01/23/14 BRIGHTON, UK — Brighton Dome Concert Hall
    SAT 01/25/14 OXFORD, UK — O2 Academy
    FRI 01/31/14 BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA — Laneway Festival
    SAT 02/01/14 MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA — Laneway Festival
    SUN 02/02/14 SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA — Laneway Festival
    FRI 02/07/14 ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA — Laneway Festival
    SAT 02/08/14 FREMANTLE, AUSTRALIA — Laneway Festival
    WED 02/12/14 KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA — Bentley Music Auditorium
    THU 02/13/14 MANILA, PHILLIPINES — Metro Tent Convention Center
    FRI 02/14/14 HONG KONG, HONG KONG — Music Zone
    SUN 02/16/14 TOKYO, JAPAN — Hostess Club Weekender
    TUE 02/18/14 LONDON, UK — KOKO
    WED 02/19/14 LEEDS, UK — O2 Academy
    THU 02/20/14 LIVERPOOL, UK — O2 Academy
    FRI 02/21/14 BRISTOL, UK — O2 Academy
    SUN 02/23/14 COLOGNE, GERMANY — Gloria
    MON 02/24/14 AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS — Paradiso
    TUE 02/25/14 MUNICH, GERMANY — Strom
    WED 02/26/14 HAMBURG, GERMANY — Gruenspan
    FRI 02/28/14 MADRID, SPAIN — Sala But
    SAT 03/01/14 LISBON, PORTUGAL — Aula Magna
    SAT 06/07/14 LONDON, UK — Field Day
    FRI 03/21/14 NEW YORK, US — Webster Hall
    SAT 03/22/14 PHILADELPHIA, US — Union Transfer
    MON 03/24/14 WASHINGTON, US — Black Cat
    TUE 03/25/14 TORONTO, CANADA — Danforth
    WED 03/26/14 DETROIT, US — Magic Stick
    FRI 03/28/14 CHICAGO, US — Metro
    SAT 03/29/14 MINNEAPOLIS, US — First Ave
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The new Album is up for streaming.
    http://www.npr.org/2014/01/12/261054...paint-warpaint

Oh my. Holy... This, is really really great. I listened to it fully just now and falling in love completely.

It's nice.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I've listened to it 3 times, and I like it a lot. It's really beautiful. "Feeling Right" into "CC" is quite the back-to-back. I'm looking forward to hearing this stuff live, as they seem to treat their songs with a little more soaring urgency when they perform them in concert.

The new album is exquisite. Sexy times all around.

Love it when people start applauding because they think a song has come to an end, but it actually hasn't. In this case, Warpaint kept going for another 11 minutes.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Wasn't awed by the new album first listen through (was at really low volume), but then cranked it on the 2nd listen - it's fucking awesome. This is going to be great out on the fields.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

On third listen. Great winter album. I listened to some of it while on a long walk in the snowy hills in my hood around sundown today and it was very fitting. Can't wait to get a copy to listen with my new speakers and feel that bass.

I'm not a Warpaint fan and this new album is the first I listen to, its pretty great.
    Upcoming Shows:

10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory
    11/7 Dean Blunt @ Jewel's Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Yeah, I'm not even that into Warpaint and I thought the new album was good.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

I haven't even listened to it yet but just from one song I heard I know it should've gotten a higher rating.

Yet they seem to have countered that by posting the review from Lauren Mayberry of Chvrches

http://pitchfork.com/news/53668-chvr...nts-new-album/

I feel like in the last 2 years I have become more and more diametrically opposed to what p4k considers to be a critically acclaimed success. Cohen's mad that it's an inversion of the shitty synth pop disco revival bullshit they've been jocking nowadays? oof. I certainly don't think the albums a massive success and I thought it dragged a bit towards the end so I agree with his condemnation of the length on that respect but fuck, this review moreso paints p4k's prerogative of deciding which retread genre to currently be in favor of rather than actual critique of the music.
    Last edited by guedita; 01-21-2014 at 09:47 PM.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I feel like in the last 2 years I have become more and more diametrically opposed to what p4k considers to be a critically acclaimed successes. Cohen's mad that it's an inversion of the shitty synth pop disco revival bullshit they've been jocking nowadays? oof. I certainly don't think the albums a massive success and I thought it dragged a bit towards the end so I agree with his condemnation of the length on that respect but oof, this review moreso paints p4k's prerogative of deciding which retread genre to currently be in favor of rather than actual critique of the music.
    Totally agree.

I feel like in the last 2 years I have become more and more diametrically opposed to what p4k considers to be a critically acclaimed successes. Cohen's mad that it's an inversion of the shitty synth pop disco revival bullshit they've been jocking nowadays? oof. I certainly don't think the albums a massive success and I thought it dragged a bit towards the end so I agree with his condemnation of the length on that respect but fuck, this review moreso paints p4k's prerogative of deciding which retread genre to currently be in favor of rather than actual critique of the music.
    Ha, pretty much. I feel Lauren Mayberry's review is spot-on and probably fancy this album more than any other of the past couple years. I also think the new one does a better job of capturing the seductive, hypnotic nature of the journey that ensues at their live show than their debut.

I mean. P4k is now reviewing dumb throwaway Nina Kraviz EPs and every Fabric/Fabriclive output. What they choose to review, and what those reviews are, to me, says so much about the kind of cultural capital they quite assuredly think they have these days. And to be fair -- they DO have that kind of capital.

In unrelated news, if any of you guys have an Instagram make sure to follow Shannyn Sossoman (old drummer, Jenny Lindbergh's sister). She posts the most amazing videos.
    Last edited by FEELS; 01-21-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Cohen's mad that it's an inversion of the shitty synth pop disco revival bullshit they've been jocking nowadays? oof. I certainly don't think the albums a massive success and I thought it dragged a bit towards the end so I agree with his condemnation of the length on that respect but fuck, this review moreso paints p4k's prerogative of deciding which retread genre to currently be in favor of rather than actual critique of the music.
    I don't agree that Cohen's agenda is quite that; remember, he also wrote the review burying Free Your Mind, which should have been the 2013 lodestar release of the type of thing that you are saying he and Pitchfork are currently jocking. Pitchfork, and Cohen especially, have been sympathetic in recent years to a number of trends in current indie guitar rock: traditionalists (who aren't afraid to fuck around with tradition) like War on Drugs, Kurt Vile, and Tame Impala; dream pop and shoegaze revivalists like Wild Nothing, No Joy, Lotus Plaza, and DIIV; the psych stuff coming out of San Francisco; bmack's cause celebre, the melodic side of metal; and any number of bands in the traditional firmament of '80s and '90s indie or punk like Deerhunter, Real Estate, Japandroids, Titus Andronicus, Parquet Courts, Waxahatchee, etc.

I think this review was far less of an effort to set an agenda or to criticize a band for failing to met some externally-imposed model of what it should be attempting to sound like if it wants to be cool. I think it was a sincere effort to engage with material that, if we're being honest, isn't that compelling. If anything, he goes out of his way to be charitable to the band, to explain what he thinks they do right, and to celebrate the live show.

I also think he very clearly critiques "the music" as the music, especially in the review's most devastating passages:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cohen
    But the arrangements twist themselves into knots Kokal and Wayman can’t untie—vocal melodies invariably bob, weave, dip and dart, trying so hard to find a sliver of space that they never resolve into a memorable pattern. For the most part, Warpaint take the path of lesser resistance, lapsing into the same layered coos that defined The Fool, but now that they’re mixed to be a focal point, the melodic inertia makes Warpaint’s 51 minutes feel three times as long.
    or

More troubling than the lack of hooks is the way Warpaint operate in their new, immaculate surroundings like they’re worried about a security deposit, barely leaving a fingerprint on these air-streamed synths, let alone getting their hands dirty. They try to create atmosphere in an airlock, lumbering instead of fostering groove, failing to generate any heat or friction as nearly every interesting turn on these songs happens within the first minute. Even with Godrich and Flood at their disposal, Warpaint work within a limited dynamic range, relying on a busier cymbal pattern or the introduction of a slightly different synth to instigate a tonal shift, but never a crescendo.
    or

Even those sympathetic to what Warpaint are doing have all but admitted this album lacks hooks, grooves, or even a pulse most of the time—relying on the idea of it as “grower” or an “immersive experience.” But the question never gets answered: to what end are we indulging these jams? As pop, it’s unconscionably tuneless, as transportive space-rock, it’s not analog enough to be charmingly retro, and certainly not futuristic. The lyrics are symptomatic of Warpaint itself, failing to impress or even engage, assuming distance and emotional vacancy necessarily equal “mystery.”
    Now, I think you can make a case for this album. I certainly didn't think it was bad, but by the same score, I don't hear the great album that so many others here seem to be listening to. But as a piece of music criticism, I think this review was pretty cogent and fair.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Why anyone ever discusses Pitchfork is beyond me. Pitchfork is like someone went out of their way to make a magazine encompassing all of the most annoying, bullshit, pseudo-intellectual faux-cultured aspects of music criticism. It reads like a giant piece of satire with no actual fucking jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Sure. He suggests that it's not their lack of hooks that's troubling, it's the fact that their lack of hooks make it sound like an album not preoccupied with overladen hooks and pop sensibilities.