Thread: Pemberton Music Festival 2014

Default Pemberton Music Festival 2014

http://pembertonmusicfestival.com/

Huzzah, they finally revived it

Anyone planning on going?

Default Re: Pemberton Music Festival 2014

The small amount of "founders tickets" sold out in about 5 minutes, so there still seems to be some interest.

I'll wait for the lineup and pick my favourite 2 out of Squamish, Pemberton and Sasquatch #2.

I'm still expecting this to be a clusterfuck (again). That town just isn't made for 40,000 people.

I'd love an excuse to visit BC, so hopefully the lineup is a good one.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

old school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2y82xtUmTs

Trailer Park Boys did their own video confirmation

old school

http://www.straight.com/music/431536...h-party-locals
    http://www.straight.com/music/431801...ets-are-coming

Only 500 early bird tickets were sold
    They say it'll be 40,000 each day and a lineup competing with 2008.

The major promoter involved is based in Alabama or Louisiana I'm not aware of any experience in this market. Live Nation lost a ton of money in 2008 before abandoning ship and Squamish has built up lots of grassroots loyalty.

I'm not sure how I feel about them selling tickets before the line up comes out.... with something like Coachella or Glastonbury, makes sense. But for the first year reboot run, seems kinda odd.... and brave.

Will be waiting to see what the lineup looks like before I plan on booking tickets

2008 had a really good lineup, and I haven't been to Canada yet, maybe i'll just go to one weekend of coachella this year and save some $$$ for this. of course with the lineup being a deciding factor in it...
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

One thing that will make the lineup announcement time interesting is the ridiculous amount of competing festivals. In another Pemberton thread I mentioned Rock The Shores (a two day festival in Victoria with a 10,000 person capacity and Weezer headlining this year) was in June. I was wrong. It was July and if the dates next year are similar to when it was this year it means Sasquatch version 2 happens July 4th weekend. Rock The Shores would be the weekend of July 12/13 or could even expand to 3 days. Then Pemberton is July 18 - 20. Three large festivals on three consecutive weekends in the Washington State/British Columbia region.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

old school

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    One thing that will make the lineup announcement time interesting is the ridiculous amount of competing festivals. In another Pemberton thread I mentioned Rock The Shores (a two day festival in Victoria with a 10,000 person capacity and Weezer headlining this year) was in June. I was wrong. It was July and if the dates next year are similar to when it was this year it means Sasquatch version 2 happens July 4th weekend. Rock The Shores would be the weekend of July 12/13 or could even expand to 3 days. Then Pemberton is July 18 - 20. Three large festivals on three consecutive weekends in the Washington State/British Columbia region.
    Have "Rock The Shores" made any 2014 commitments?

They might be able to freely piggy back the Sasquatch 2 lineup and built it around July 1st(Canada's independance holiday).

Just want to chime in here. Pemberton 2008 was, bar none, the worst music festival experience of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Just want to chime in here. Pemberton 2008 was, bar none, the worst music festival experience of my life.
    Did you do Virgin Fest 2009 at Deer Lake Park that got rained out? Virgin Fest 2007 UBC was pretty bad too. Summersault 2000 at BC Place is up there for me. 1999 Edgefest was a write off.

I've heard from a couple places that an outdoor show by MC Hammer in Kelowna circa 1991 was a major distaster and prevented shows there for a long time.
    https://twitter.com/TravelPenticton/...32217289232384

This must be "The Peach"
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=penti...&bih=629&dpr=1

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/126209678.html
    backstory on the "MC Hammer riots of 1991"
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 10-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.

old school

Pemberton now has to compete with Squamish, who appeared to have landed Arcade Fire.

old school

Squamish 2014(Aug 8/9/10, 2014) headliners 6-10 weeks early, 35,000 might sell out easily:

A male act who hasn't played North of California in 8+ years and Western Canada in over 12+ years.
    A pop act that's done a couple arena tours and has some MAJOR TV exposure coming up. Can play an instrument onstage and has done other minor fests.
    Arcade Fire will be the 2nd most expensive headliner of 2014

Note the proximity to the likely OSL date and the RATM stadium thing in LA, strong chance for some overlap with the male act.

Pemberton will be in trouble. Sasquatch won't be able compete when it comes to headliners, but will sell with deep lineups and holiday weekends.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 12-05-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Squamish 2014(Aug 8/9/10, 2014) headliners 6-10 weeks early, 35,000 might sell out easily:

A male act who hasn't played North of California in 8+ years and Western Canada in over 12+ years.
    A pop act that's done a couple arena tours and has some MAJOR TV exposure coming up. Can play an instrument onstage and has done other minor fests.

Note the proximity to the likely OSL date and the RATM stadium thing in LA, strong chance for some overlap with the male act.

Pemberton will be in trouble. Sasquatch won't be able compete when it comes to headliners, but will sell with deep lineups and holiday weekends.
    Where's all that info coming from?

I would guess the pop act is JT.

It's Bruno Mars. Dude is playing the Super Bowl halftime show.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    what made it so bad? i remember thinking it had a pretty cool lineup

old school

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    what made it so bad? i remember thinking it had a pretty cool lineup
    complete dust bowl
    couldn't get into the dance tent
    hundreds of employees walked off the job
    traffic
    getting to-from camping to parking took hours and hours.

old school

Try to name the act(he's under 45) getting that's likely getting paid more than Arcade and may do some major Californian shows the same week.

Eminem?

old school

Any rumours for the dates of OSL and LA Rising?

I can honestly agree this is one of the worst organized festivals I ever went to.

Endless lines to get into the dance tent so you had to plan to get in line 2 or 3 acts before to plan to see the act you wanted to see and once you got inside you find out that they switched the artist without telling you so you are watching an act and quickly realize it's the wrong person and find out they replaced MANDY at the last minute with so local lamo name DJ Dopey.

Endless rides to and from the hotel on the shuttle to get to the festival grounds (Mt. Pemberton) from Whistler village. I kid you not, I got on the shuttle at 10 am and hit the grounds around 3 PM. Still not as bad as the Jay Z year of Coachella when I got stuck in a 9 hour traffic jam in my car because for some reason that year Coachella didn't know how to run parking lots. Also, a guy got off the bus and vanished into the woods and the driver was like, Oh well, hope he makes it.

Super long lines and shuttle rides to get back to the hotel.

Also, when bands I barely know AKA Tragically Hip get top billing and long sets and I really don't care if people kept telling me they were the REM of Canada, that doesn't mean I want to wait through them endlessly for the next act.

Catch the tail end of one of the actors from Harold and Kumar assault a girl, thankfully she was saved by some other guys.

There's more but I won't waste space.
    Last edited by Ardentbiscuit; 12-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

I wrote this 7 weeks ago. 3/3 on the Squamish headliners.

I'm still guessing on Pemberton happening or other Eminem Gigs. My guess of Bruno doing other major festivals was off the mark.

When is the line up expected to come out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    When is the line up expected to come out?
    Multiple late 2013 statements said "January".

Recent statements are "patience grasshopper".

http://www.musicfestivaljunkies.com/...lding-kaskade/
    The promoter who booked this festival is supposed to make a July lineup to compete with 2008 Pemberton done by Live Nation.