Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grounds expansion?

Default Re: Grounds expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shuttles from the Palm Springs airport, maybe, but LA?
    I mean, I don't see why not. We took one from London to Bestival, and that bus had to get on a ferry to boot.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Probably not enough festivals that people travel and camp at in the States to support a third party business specific to festival transportation like there is in Europe. I did find it really convenient using the shuttle from Berlin to Melt!

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SONR801 View Post
    Not fooling anyone. We all know you just want a private place to rub one out before the show.
    Who needs privacy? Half of the fun of rubbing one out after the age of 14 is getting caught doing it.

where and why LA would have to house thousands of cars for the weekend you dumb dipshit.
    I think that might be a PR for you in Bumblebees game of logic limbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Bumbles, give us some exact rough estimates on how many festival goers actually fly into LAX and would take the shuttle vs how many people drive in from various locals in CA/AZ elsewhere. Keep in mind the inherent proclivity of Americans to worship their car and abhor going out of their way to use public/mass transit as often as possible out of the sake of personal convenience.

"Okay, so. We could just....drive to Indio, OR, we could drive a bit out of our way to LA, lug all of our camping gear with us on a shuttle, and then instead of being able to leave whenever we want on Monday morning and drive directly home, we'll get back on the shuttle to LA."

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

didn't coachella have that train shuttle back in 08 or 09?

I don't think shuttles/trains are a bad idea at all. many festivals have shuttle buses to take them out to festivals. packing a tent in a suitcase isn't too difficult. I know LiB had a few shuttle buses coming from LA, SD and SF and some of the smaller fests in the middle of nowhere shuttle people out there since there isn't anywhere else to park. if they had 3 or more shuttle buses from each of the local airports and stagger their departures, most of the people flying in wouldn't have to rent a car. they'd have to expand tent camping quite a bit, but if they did they could fit more people on site and wouldn't need as many parking spaces for the tent-only campers that shuttle. and if coachella still cares about being green, it eliminates several hundred cars from the road.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

A couple hundred, sure, but not 5,000.

yeah, 5000 would be pushing it.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

gwaydita, once again, creating more problems than solving.

If you live in LA, and want to take the bus to Indio, then you can park your piece of crap in the same place you keep your piece of crap parked yearly, and use public transit to get to the bus terminal/ union station/ whatever.

If you're flying in from somewhere else, then you probably parked your car at the god damn airport. Logic, you mentally fried twit.

If you live outside of LA, and want to use a bus, then wouldn't you just take the bus/ train/ plane to get to LA first?

Did you have a point? Really?
    Last edited by TheVelvetSmudge; 09-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Yeah. I'm sure a few thousand of people that have gone to Coachella with car camping before would be thrilled to be forced to instead, take all of their camping gear on public transit within the various areas of LA to get to LAX so that they can then take a shuttle out to the festival, or to drive to LAX and pay for parking their car there for 5 days on top of whatever the shuttle costs.

No shit the people that fly into LA wouldn't have cars, I never claimed they would.

And, as I've previously stated, the idea of shuttles itself isn't bogus. Bumble's idea that GV's solution to accommodating a 5,000 increase by increasing tent camping (and thus cutting into car camping?) and forcing some 5,000 to use a shuttle system from LA doesn't seem plausible.

In other words:

Car camping is here to accommodate the "L.A. Local"

Gross. There should be an L.A. only car camping area. Hopefully the proposed expansion will cover this. Maybe put all the O.C. bros in another area, and schedule bro-offs at different times of the day. Classic Bro-chella madness. The rest of us will be at the show, enjoying the calm of no sweaty early twenties college dropout to-be fad-mongers donning the misnomer of hipster jumping and shouting and leaving after pumped up kicks and somebody that i used to know making me wonder why I'm not at another stage in the first place anywhere but the Sahara maybe grabbing a bowl of indian food with a warmish bottle of coca cola wishing it was a cup with ice and cola.

It's almost Monday.

And, as I've previously stated, the idea of shuttles itself isn't bogus. Bumble's idea that GV's solution to accommodating a 5,000 increase by increasing tent camping (and thus cutting into car camping?) and forcing some 5,000 to use a shuttle system from LA doesn't seem plausible.
    Well, yeah...forcing them to use it is fucking stupid. But I bet people flying in would. I mean, if I was coming from MN or some shit, I'd rather get on a coach right to the site, especially if I was under 25.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I agree. I only said "forcing," because the implication Bumble suggested is that, similar to the mandatory bundled hotel shuttle pass, this would be a way that GV is accommodating Indio's reduced car/traffic requirements in the deal they have with them. If it was a separate option that GV provided, I'm sure many people traveling from out of state who were camping would want to use it. But not everyone who travels out of state is necessarily camping, etc, etc.

old school

Bumbles, give us some exact rough estimates on how many festival goers actually fly into LAX and would take the shuttle vs how many people drive in from various locals in CA/AZ elsewhere. Keep in mind the inherent proclivity of Americans to worship their car and abhor going out of their way to use public/mass transit as often as possible out of the sake of personal convenience.

"Okay, so. We could just....drive to Indio, OR, we could drive a bit out of our way to LA, lug all of our camping gear with us on a shuttle, and then instead of being able to leave whenever we want on Monday morning and drive directly home, we'll get back on the shuttle to LA."
    Glastonbury has shuttles for 15,000. Bonnaroo has shuttles for thousands(even some Nashville(?)hotels do it). Sasquatch and Squamish have also done it as have many others.

Yeah. I'm sure a few thousand of people that have gone to Coachella with car camping before would be thrilled to be forced to instead, take all of their camping gear on public transit within the various areas of LA to get to LAX so that they can then take a shuttle out to the festival, or to drive to LAX and pay for parking their car there for 5 days on top of whatever the shuttle costs.
    I agree. I only said "forcing," because the implication Bumble suggested is that, similar to the mandatory bundled hotel shuttle pass, this would be a way that GV is accommodating Indio's reduced car/traffic requirements in the deal they have with them. If it was a separate option that GV provided, I'm sure many people traveling from out of state who were camping would want to use it. But not everyone who travels out of state is necessarily camping, etc, etc.
    Obvious someone from like me from another country will have an opinion that varies greatly than someone from the LA area. I think the number of people flying in is bigger than many realize - airport customs guys have told me they have full planes flying into LAX/Palm. I also think a usage of the shuttle passes was more than many realize, though a couple thousand will be "phantom"/"forced" purchases.

-It would help with Indio's concern with traffic conjestion
    -in theory it would make the roads safer from impaired driving
    -it could reduce the issue of being stuck in the parking lot for several hours that has happened past years.

IMO, the idea of being tied to one's car was a much stronger argument when the festival sold single day passes and fans chose their day and left.

The one big thing that I think it overlooked is the festival already has issues with where people sleep. In recent years both camping tickets sold out quickly, have resale restrictions, which leaves few options for those that don't want to buy the expensive hotel packages(GV block buy the rooms). This is why I think weekend passes are so cheap the weeks leading up to the festival and I also think it will be bad PR issue for GV in the years going forward. That might explain a lukewarm pre-sale that could be repeated during the January onsale if they don't hit a home run(read: headliners) with the lineup. Stagecoach went from sold out in advance to 10,000 people missing when they changed "camping" rules.

bumblebee, what country are you from exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

old school

double post
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 09-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Dumbsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Bangladouche
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Canadumb

The Dumbocratic Republic of Congo

Moroncco

Ecuadork

Geez now Bumblebee is repeating herself? Ugh.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Dumbinican Republic

Slowvakia

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Slowvakia
    this was the one i laughed at.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Bangladouche
    This one is pretty good.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I love that Bumbleebee harasses airport customs guys for stats such as "we have full planes going to LAX."

UGHanistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop