Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2013

Default Re: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2013

Friday and Saturday are pretty open for me, I've seen a lot of the bigger names in previous years and think I'm going to let my mom lead the way (she's flying out from Austin and has been researching for weeks). Sunday, however, is one enormous conflict for me.

Realistically Sunday will look like: Welch, Kane, & Kaplin > Nicki Bluhm > Warren Hood Band/(Billy Bragg) > Trampled by Turtles/(Time Jumpers) > String Cheese Incident

EDIT: And, Tom, why have you never made it to this festival? Aside from absurdly chatty crowds, this festival is right in your wheelhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Mainly because the dates never seem to work out for me.

Isn't this the festival where most people just camp out at one stage all day? And they don't sell beer, you have to bring your own cooler (making it particularly inconvenient for someone flying in from out of town)?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Well, "they" the festival don't sell beer. But "they" tweakers and other colorful types sell beer out of suitcases. Also, you know we'd hook you up with a cooler and beer if you ever came, Tom.

Greg - Zack is flying out for business on Sunday morning, so we are for sure only going Saturday and I'm a maybe for Sunday, depends if I want to trek up there again or not.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Mainly because the dates never seem to work out for me.

Isn't this the festival where most people just camp out at one stage all day? And they don't sell beer, you have to bring your own cooler (making it particularly inconvenient for someone flying in from out of town)?
    A lot of the grey hairs and hippies show up at god-awful times of the AM to put down blankets, yes, but it's really not too bad until later in the day. Chances are you'd be bouncing around stages. And, yes, we certainly have extra chairs & coolers to lend you should you ever make it up for the festival. Lots of fun.

Cara, I know it's a hell of a trek back up, but keep the option open. Sunday is stacked front-to-back with good stuff. And ... I don't have anyone else to jam out with me at String Cheese Incident

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Looks like my Satuday schedule looks like Sonny & Sunsets>Jon Landford>Mark Lanegan>??? til Martha Wainwright to ????

any ideas who else I should see Saturday? Cara was leaning towards Los Lobos
    Los fucking Lobos! Do ittttttt
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Printable b/w schedule is up: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.c...chedule-bw.pdf

Also, Greg, I'll probably be there on Sunday to jam out.

Christ I'm unbelievably excited for this fest to start. Les go HSB '13!
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Yesterday was great (despite the sound issues at Arrow). Hopefully, they've worked out the back-of-stage issues there.

Low's noisy set was a risky surprise. I forgot how many good songs Calexico have written and they delivered a fun time as always. J Tillman (Father John Misty), although possessed with a lovely voice and guitar skills, is a fucking douchebag. Give up the ironic attempt at (poor) humor, dude. If he would just use his intelligence to write something sincere, he'd be far more interesting. The whole playing behind an iPhone mockup is just so forced.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Last time I seen Low they played one long song with no vocals, GY!BE'esque.
    Glad to see they pulled TBT out to do a song with them yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Elvin Bishop was fucking great. As was Jon Langford's set. And Holler Down the Hollow was lots of fun; Steve Earle, Emmylou, Darrel Scott, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller, Vince Gill, and Jerry Douglas coming out and taking turns jamming on Doc Watson and Bill Monroe songs. Flatlanders, naturally, sounded nice.

But Sturgill Simpson, holy fucking cow. Sounded like Waylon Jennings. Really fucking good music.

Yesterday was a bit slower for us, hung out at Rooster for most of the day then split sets between Calexico & Bonnie Raitt. Both sounded really good and kept the rock vibe going. Freakwater was good, I'm curious to hear more ESPECIALLY after the set they did with Jon Langford today (Mekons + Freakwater = "Freakons")

That all sounds awesome!

Los Lobos bringing out Boz Scaggs for a cover of What's Going On was incredible

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Elvin Bishop was fucking great. As was Jon Langford's set. And Holler Down the Hollow was lots of fun; Steve Earle, Emmylou, Darrel Scott, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller, Vince Gill, and Jerry Douglas coming out and taking turns jamming on Doc Watson and Bill Monroe songs. Flatlanders, naturally, sounded nice.

But Sturgill Simpson, holy fucking cow. Sounded like Waylon Jennings. Really fucking good music.

Yesterday was a bit slower for us, hung out at Rooster for most of the day then split sets between Calexico & Bonnie Raitt. Both sounded really good and kept the rock vibe going. Freakwater was good, I'm curious to hear more ESPECIALLY after the set they did with Jon Langford today (Mekons + Freakwater = "Freakons")
    damn

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Los Lobos bringing out Boz Scaggs for a cover of What's Going On was incredible
    dayum.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Started the day off with Della Mae, who were really good; all-female band of string-playing vocalists. They did a sweet cover of "9-to-5." Nicki Bluhm can really sing but the set was rather forgettable jam-tinged blues rock. Richard Thompson was surprisingly (to me, anyway) aggressive and loud. Nothing amazing. Justin Townes Earle is always reliable for a great show. His stage banter is second only to maybe his old man. Devil Makes Three threw down and Trampled By Turtles set the stage for epic sunset jamfest with String Cheese. Regret not catching Ralph Stanley. Really regret it. It was just way too crowded. I've seen him in previous years but the guy is 87 and may not be back to the fest. All in all, another great weekend of good vibes, day-drinking, and vigorous hoedowns.

Oh and ask Cara about the caped douche bag she almost throat-jabbed when he invaded her space bubble ...

Wow. What a fucking festival. Too many awesome moments.

Katey Segal playing a cover of The Band's "The Weight"
    Steve Martin's insane improvisations/banjo shredding
    Betty Lavette just destroying Golden Gate park with that voice of gold
    First Aid Kit playing their cover of Emmylou and America
    That Los Lobos/Boz Scaggs "What's Going On" cover
    and of course Gogol Bordello melting faces to close it all off.

Already can't wait for next year

The Arrow Stage on Sunday was a ridiculous sea of humanity. Friends couldn't hang with all that heat in the crowd so we stayed at Rooster the rest of the afternoon, which was a stark contrast in crowd size. Much more mellow.

Katey Sagal covering "The Weight" was fantastic. Probably the loudest I sang all weekend.
    Oh and Bonnie Raitt making everybody cry around me during "I Can't Make You Love Me" at dusk is something I'll never forget.
    Low, Tift Merritt, Elvin Bishop, G Love, all great as well.

I feel like the crowd this year was the largest I've ever seen at HSB. Don't overlook the Rooster and Porch Stage for some downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post

Oh and ask Cara about the caped douche bag she almost throat-jabbed when he invaded her space bubble ...
    Ha. What did his stamps say again? Anyway, this guy in a felt hat with a feather and a red cape had this stamp, and he had stamped the shirtless/skin exposed bodies of almost all of his large crew, and they were all seemingly fine with that. Some of them even came up and asked to be stamped -- fine. He also kept stamping pretty much only women who were walking by him, and a few of them, startled, gave him looks even vocalized, albeit briefly since they were walking, that they weren't super down with having been stamped. Dude comes up to greghead and I, and when he goes in to try and stamp me I firmly say "NO THANK YOU" and move my arm away signaling with my body that I don't want to be stamped. He registers that I've said no, and looks at me, and then tries to stamp me again! I had to forcibly refuse his advances because he quite literally did not like the idea of anyone rejecting his inking insistence. He did say, "Sorry, I guess stamping isn't for everyone," but then spent the next 30 minutes talking loudly right next to me and pointing me out to anyone in his group, as if I was such a fucking bitch for, I don't know, not wanting to be stamped. As if I somehow owed him an explanation he would find reasonable as to why I wouldn't welcome having my body MARKED with some stupid phrase that celebrates festivaling.

And before anyone gives the "wow just go with the flow let him have fun shit happens is what it is" line of defense, please know that I don't particularly give a fuck if someone wants to go around stamping people, as long as the person being stamped has given their consent. If you want to go around stamping people, maybe you need to be okay with the fact that not everyone wants it done to them? Maybe there are a number of reasons why they don't want to be the recipient of what you are offering them, and you don't need to know those reasons, and just fucking respect people's bodies if they say no?

The Freakons ending with "Workin' in the Coal mine" on Saturday was my favorite festival moment. Also happy that Martha Wainwright played "I Know You're Married but I've Got Feelings too." Mark Langeford was a snooooooze fest. And it didn't seem as crowded to me as in previous years, though the Arrow stage was insane yesterday. Trampled by Turtles either had sound issues or were just for the most part way, way too quiet to compete with the cacophony of the crowd. I'm really glad I went both days, it was so gorgeous out and I really enjoyed a lot of the music.

How was the crowd size for Trampled?
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

It was massive. They played right before String Cheese Incident. Sunni and I thought of you during their set, Creep.

That definitely helps. Thanks for your thoughts. Low is also from Duluth.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Mark Langeford was a snooooooze fest.
    Do you mean Jon Langford or Mark Lanegan? I assume the latter since you liked the Freakons?

also, stamp guy sounds like he needs to get his ass kicked.

Yes, sorry. Lanegan. Jon Langford & the Freakons were really great.

I met Jon Langford once. I was kind of drunk. I said some really stupid things about how great he was. I think he laughed at me.

edit: That same night I bought Sally Timms a drink. Sally was married to Fred Armisen at the time.
    Last edited by TomAz; 10-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.

"I Like Funky Love"

It wasn't even just the stamp, it was singling out of young women he deemed attractive. When he started spanking that girl in a brazen, "playful" manner? Yeah, right. It is worth noting that we were pointing and loudly dismissing his stamp for a good hour before he came up to us. I feel he got a bit of comeuppance when he started running around and helplessly sprawled to the ground face-first after tripping over another group's bag of garbage.

Turtles were really good when they were really sawing but otherwise were too quiet for that clusterfuck of tie-dye.

Yeah, John Langford was good. Like, good. And they also did "Dark as a Dungeon," keeping with the coal mining theme. And Zack dragged Cara over to Lanegan because one time somewhere he covered a Gun Club song or something. I don't remember exactly. Dave Alvin was snoozy as hell, too. Usually he really rocks.

And I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude or judgey or trample anyone's good time, but I don't understand the obsession with "The Weight" when it's drug out in concert. Even shitty versions are lauded as "amazing." There are so many great Band songs that haven't been hammered to death. The only truly great version I've seen was when Mavis Staples covered it at OSL. That was something to talk about. Best "cover" I heard all weekend was Darrell Scott leading a rousing version of "I Am a Pilgrim" at the all-star tribute Saturday. Wow. That or Flatlanders doing "Sittin' On Top of the World."

EDIT: I'm not bashing Katey Sagal or her version; everyone I heard mention her set said she was great and that song really elevated things to a higher level. That's cool. I'm curious why that song is always the one that really, really resonates with people.
    Last edited by greghead; 10-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.

no Billy Bragg love? he did a great job and the towers of gold stage was surprisingly sparse, especially after Steve Martin (who wasn't quite as funny as last year's Bridge School, but good still.) Gogol Bordello was as fun as ever.

Chris Isaak was impressively dull, and less than half his set was actually his own music.

You know, I don't think I saw anything at Towers of Gold all weekend. Bummer. I heard Betty Lavette and Richard Thompson piped through Star. LaVette was quite good. I was definitely interested in Billy Bragg and wanted to make it back out there for the Time Jumpers but making that walk once or twice a day is enough for me to say, "Fuck it, I'm cool right here with my chair, warm whiskey, and Tupperware full of grapes."

Tucker the Festival Guy ideas for 2014:

* Stamp people at festival with giant stamp, but only if they want to be stamped
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

And in defense of Mark Lanegan, it was just a hot mid day set of him doing slow, slow tempo covers of like, "Mack the Knife," and it was just...like super snoozy, like he was singing us all lullabyes. I certainly felt as though I should have been half slumped over at a bar crying into a double shot of whiskey.