Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2013

Default Re: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2013

I honestly don't remember, but I think it's safe to guess that they'll be releasing all at once since we're only a few weeks out.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I honestly don't remember, but I think it's safe to guess that they'll be releasing all at once since we're only a few weeks out.
    Le sigh. It would be good to know just in case my job needs me for one of those days
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Schedule is coming out on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggo View Post
    Schedule is coming out on Wednesday
    Whoop!

From HSB Facebook:

"Aaaaand, we know you are all eagerly awaiting the daily lineups and we're happy to announce that we will debut that info in a full-page ad in the San Francisco Bay Guardian this coming Wednesday! Of course, we'll also post the info on our website and FB, so hold tight - we're almost there!"
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Day By Day Breakdown Posted!

FRIDAY OCT 4 (10:30am - 7pm)

Conor Brings Friends For Friday Featuring: Jake Bellows, The Cave Singers, The Felice Brothers, The Evens, First Aid Kit, Conor Oberst, Freakwater, Low, Seldom Scene, Manchester Orchestra, Calexico, Father John Misty, Jesse DeNatale, MC Hammer (Friday morning middle school program), Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band featuring Yungchen Lhamo, Jesse Dee, Poor Man's Whiskey (Friday morning middle school program), Bonnie Raitt

SATURDAY OCT 5 (11am - 7pm)

Mike Scott & Steve Wickham of The Waterboys, Kat Edmonson, The Handsome Family, Bettye LaVette, The Go To Hell Man Clan, Dave Alvin with Greg Leisz, Natalie Maines, Sonny & The Sunsets, Paul Kelly, Los Lobos Disconnected, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, Mark Lanegan, The Forest Rangers with Katey Sagal, Alison Brown, Boz Scaggs, Elvin Bishop, Loudon Wainwright III, Tim O'Brien with Bryan Sutton & Mike Bub, Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale, Steve Earle & The Dukes, Nick Lowe, Joy Kills Sorrow, The Flatlanders featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock, Spirit Family Reunion, Supermule, Jon Langford & Skull Orchard acoustic / FREAKONS, Patty Griffin, Martha Wainwright, Sturgill Simpson, G. Love & Special Sauce, Robert Earl Keen, The Jerry Douglas Band, LP, Holler Down the Hollow: A Hardly Strictly Salute to the Masters

SUNDAY OCT 6 (11am - 7pm)

The Brothers Comatose, Steve Martin and Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell, The Wood Brothers, Pieta Brown, Mike Farris & The Roseland Rhythm Revue, Justin Townes Earle, The Time Jumpers featuring Brad Albin, Larry Franklin, Paul Franklin, Vince Gill, "Ranger Doug" Green, Andy Reiss, Dawn Sears, Kenny Sears, Joe Spivey, Jeff Taylor & Billy Thomas, Tim O'Brien & Darrell Scott, Trampled By Turtles, Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers, Chris Isaak, Tift Merritt, Tumbleweed Wanderers, Shovels & Rope, Billy Bragg, Evolfo Doofeht, Ryan Bingham, Kate McGarrigle Tribute with Martha & Sloan Wainwright & Special Guests, The Deep Dark Woods, Richard Thompson, Buddy Miller, Dry Branch Fire Squad, Allah-Las, The Warren Hood Band, Laurie Lewis & The Right Hands, Robert Ellis, Moonalice, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, The Devil Makes Three, Kevin Welch, Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Della Mae, Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys, Gogol Bordello, The String Cheese Incident

Mikey beat me to it. Friday seems packed especially since it only has half the bands.

If any of you people go to this and don't go see Jon Langford on Saturday I will kick your ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Friday is just great (for those of us who trend more towards indie). Can't wait to see Low and Calexico again.

Sunday

Steve Martin, Ryan Bingham, Wood Brothers, Trampled by Turtles, Deep Dark Woods

Just had to change my flight to Monday morning.

Stuff TomAz would see if he were going to this, which he's not, but sort of wishes he were:

Conor Brings Friends For Friday Featuring: Jake Bellows, The Cave Singers, The Felice Brothers, The Evens, First Aid Kit, Conor Oberst, Freakwater, Low, Seldom Scene, Manchester Orchestra, Calexico, Father John Misty, Jesse DeNatale, MC Hammer (Friday morning middle school program), Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band featuring Yungchen Lhamo, Jesse Dee, Poor Man's Whiskey (Friday morning middle school program), Bonnie Raitt

Mike Scott & Steve Wickham of The Waterboys, Kat Edmonson, The Handsome Family, Bettye LaVette, The Go To Hell Man Clan, Dave Alvin with Greg Leisz, Natalie Maines, Sonny & The Sunsets, Paul Kelly, Los Lobos Disconnected, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside, Mark Lanegan, The Forest Rangers with Katey Sagal, Alison Brown, Boz Scaggs, Elvin Bishop, Loudon Wainwright III, Tim O'Brien with Bryan Sutton & Mike Bub, Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale, Steve Earle & The Dukes, Nick Lowe, Joy Kills Sorrow, The Flatlanders featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock, Spirit Family Reunion, Supermule, Jon Langford & Skull Orchard acoustic / FREAKONS, Patty Griffin, Martha Wainwright, Sturgill Simpson, G. Love & Special Sauce, Robert Earl Keen, The Jerry Douglas Band, LP, Holler Down the Hollow: A Hardly Strictly Salute to the Masters

The Brothers Comatose, Steve Martin and Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell, The Wood Brothers, Pieta Brown, Mike Farris & The Roseland Rhythm Revue, Justin Townes Earle, The Time Jumpers featuring Brad Albin, Larry Franklin, Paul Franklin, Vince Gill, "Ranger Doug" Green, Andy Reiss, Dawn Sears, Kenny Sears, Joe Spivey, Jeff Taylor & Billy Thomas, Tim O'Brien & Darrell Scott, Trampled By Turtles, Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers, Chris Isaak, Tift Merritt, Tumbleweed Wanderers, Shovels & Rope, Billy Bragg, Evolfo Doofeht, Ryan Bingham, Kate McGarrigle Tribute with Martha & Sloan Wainwright & Special Guests, The Deep Dark Woods, Richard Thompson, Buddy Miller, Dry Branch Fire Squad, Allah-Las, The Warren Hood Band, Laurie Lewis & The Right Hands, Robert Ellis, Moonalice, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, The Devil Makes Three, Kevin Welch, Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Della Mae, Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys, Gogol Bordello, The String Cheese Incident
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Anyone have any suggestions on more rocking type stuff? I saw Reignwolf last year who was great and was suggested by Greghead. Thanks G! So anything with a little more tempo or distortion would be appreciated.

I already want to see Calexico, The Evens, Father John Misty, Los Lobos, Mark Lanegan, SCI, and the Wood Brothers. I'm sure that I'm missing some gems.

if Steve Earle is playing an electric set with the Dukes, that has definite loud rocking potential. But he could take it bluegrass-y, you never know.

Richard Thompson is probably gonna do a folk set (my guess, not based on any current information) but if he has a band he can bring it.

and of course Gogol Bordello.

I would of never guess you would see G love and special sauce,TomAZ. If i see this fella Jon Langford, what three albums from any of his projects should i have listen to beforehand?

I cant make friday and already thinking of going to Cobbs to see Dave Attell that night .I am postive attending Saturday. Depending how much I drink/spend my money but i already leaning towards just staying at home even those theres a handful bands i would never pay to see on Sunday; Allah-las,String Cheese incident,devil makes three,Trample by Turtles,Gogol Bordello.
    Last edited by getbetter; 09-25-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

2 artists I didn't know about before the lineup, but now I love

Betty Lavette:

mushrooms to this? ^^ well if you say so Golden Gate Park..

Alison Brown:

Probably the best banjo part I've ever heard. The happiest song in the entire planet? I think so

It's gonna be another busy weekend.
    Last edited by greghead; 09-26-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on more rocking type stuff? I saw Reignwolf last year who was great and was suggested by Greghead. Thanks G! So anything with a little more tempo or distortion would be appreciated.

I already want to see Calexico, The Evens, Father John Misty, Los Lobos, Mark Lanegan, SCI, and the Wood Brothers. I'm sure that I'm missing some gems.
    In addition to others mentioned (Steve Earle, Gogol Bordello), Ryan Bingham is definitely going to be rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I would of never guess you would see G love and special sauce,TomAZ. If i see this fella Jon Langford, what three albums from any of his projects should i have listen to beforehand?
    I saw G Love at ACL like 10 years ago. I had a gap in my schedule so I checked him out and I enjoyed it.

Jon Langford was one of the founding members of original UK punk band the Mekons. Writing about the Mekons would take more time than I have. They're great, esp their 80s work. Check out Fear and Whiskey and The Mekons Rock and Roll for example.

sometime in the 90s Langford fell in love with and married an American woman and moved to Chicago and founded the Waco Brothers, self-described as "the world's hardest country band". Do You Think About Me? is either a long EP or short LP that is very much worth your, and everyone else's, attention. Also worthy is Cowboy In Flames.

I don't know a lot about Langford's work with Skull Orchard, so I have failed you there.

Also, Langford has a side business of painting "portraits" of classic country stars. I keep meaning to buy one of these. http://www.yarddog.com/collections/jon-langford
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-26-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Ooh, I saw the Mekons at a previous HSB and they were GREAT.

Somewhat of a Renaissance man, Jon Langford is perhaps best known as one of the founding members of the influential punk band the Mekons, but has had his hands in many other projects as well as being a prolific and respected visual and comic artist. Langford put together the Mekons in Leeds, England, in 1976 and has had a steady output with that band since, as well as guesting on dozens of recordings from Dutch punk band the Ex to Austin, TX, legend Alejandro Escovedo. Langford founded his first side project to the Mekons in 1982 with the inception of the Three Johns, which lasted until the early '90s, when Langford relocated to Chicago. In Chicago, he pieced together the underground country-punk group the Waco Brothers and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts, an outlet for excursions into performing and honoring music written by others. He soon became a sort of father figure to the Chicago music scene, nurturing many of his labelmates on Bloodshot Records and championing anyone who he thought worthy of scrutiny, often lending his services as a musician or visual artist or inviting local musicians to guest on his releases. When 1998 rolled around, Langford released his first official solo album, Skull Orchard, and followed it eight years later with his sophomore release, All the Fame of Lofty Deeds, in 2004 -- in between which he released no less than 11 other albums via other projects.

Also -- I'll shut up after this I promise -- The Pine Valley Cosmonauts Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills is very much worth listening to, IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions people! Looking forward to a nice, semi-relaxing time in the park. It seemed like last year there were a lot less people at HSB. I wonder if that trend will continue.

If it hasn't been said already Elvin Bishop, Low, The Cave Singers, Mark Lanegan, Allah-Las will definitely rock.
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

Devil Makes Three isn't necessarily "rockin" but they tend to have pretty rowdy crowds and a lot of energy at there shows.
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Ooh, I saw the Mekons at a previous HSB and they were GREAT.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Also -- I'll shut up after this I promise -- The Pine Valley Cosmonauts Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills is very much worth listening to, IMO.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by seyrnon View Post
    Devil Makes Three isn't necessarily "rockin" but they tend to have pretty rowdy crowds and a lot of energy at there shows.
    And yes. I saw them at HSB a couple years ago and it was reeeeaaaaally fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

The schedule is up on the app.

Set times are on their Facebook page as well

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Looks like my Satuday schedule looks like Sonny & Sunsets>Jon Landford>Mark Lanegan>??? til Martha Wainwright to ????

any ideas who else I should see Saturday? Cara was leaning towards Los Lobos
    Last edited by getbetter; 09-29-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Los Lobos are good.

Robert Earl Keen is good and a hoot.

The Flatlanders are good but you gotta be in the mood for it

Steve Earle is fucking fantastic.

Yeah, I think that Steve Earl after Martha Wainwright is the best option in terms of stage proximity. My schedule, then, is going to look like this:

11:40 - Sonny & the Sunsets (GOLD)
    12:30 - Jon Langford & Skull Orchard acoustic/FREAKONS (STAR)
    1:25 - Mark Lanegan (ROOSTER)
    2:40 - Elvin Bishop (ARROW)
    4:50 - Martha Wainwright (PORCH)
    5:45 - Steve Earl & The Dukes (BANJO)

....with maybe something squeezed in before Martha Wainwright.

I'm not getting the elvin bishop love. "Fooled around and fell in love"? Ugh. If it were me I'd see Dave Alvin (former Blasters and, for a while, X) but, it's not me.