Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The self-defense thread

Default The self-defense thread

So, I decided to leave work a bit early on Friday and I guess the universe wasn't going to let me enjoy that one. I got mugged on my walk home, just a few blocks from my place. Quiet Friday afternoon, not many people on the residential streets, guy was obviously lying in wait. I'm totally fine. The guy said he had a gun (and appeared to have one under his shirt), but he never took it out. No major injuries or anything, but my iPhone was stolen. If anything I'm most traumatized about the prospect of paying ~$800 for a new one. Used iCloud/FindMyiPhone to track down the phone's last known location and it was, you guessed it, that shit hole that is 6th-and-Alvarado. As in that especially grimy area of Westlake/MacArthur park where hundreds of street vendors hawk all kinds of useless garbage and, as I would discover, a surprising number of smartphones. Still playing detective trying to locate it down there. I locked it and put the FindMyiPhone warning message ("Phone is lost, pls call me, reward offered..." etc.) on there, I'm guessing that it might be difficult for a street vendor to sell. We'll see. I'm not optimistic about recovering it. And, as you can imagine, the LAPD was no help. Perhaps if the guy had actually shot me they might have been more responsive.

But that's not why you called. I know this is silly and probably will lead to more harm than good, but since it's going to be a few years before I'm a black belt, any advice on pepper spray? I assume they're not all created equally. Brands, ingredients etc. to look for? I walk a lot and I'm not stopping just because of one stupid punk who decided to ruin my weekend.

Default Re: The self-defense thread

You want Fox brand pepper spray. http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Rage, I'm so sorry and I'm glad your ok.

God I'm such an idiot for not carrying pepper spray/mace with me when I drive a cab. I honestly just keep forgetting to get to the store during the day when I have money.

And yeah, glad to hear your mugging went largely without incident. I was going to post the mugger scene from L.A. Story but apparently the internet doesn't have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You want Fox brand pepper spray. http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml
    Thanks! So many choices; not sure which one to go for, but this definitely sounds like the right brand.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Rage, I'm so sorry and I'm glad your ok.
    I'm totally fine. The mugging wasn't terribly eventful -- I think he might have been new to this line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    God I'm such an idiot for not carrying pepper spray/mace with me when I drive a cab. I honestly just keep forgetting to get to the store during the day when I have money.

And yeah, glad to hear your mugging went largely without incident. I was going to post the mugger scene from L.A. Story but apparently the internet doesn't have that.
    Oh gosh. You're driving cabs without protection? Yeah, definitely time to invest in some pepper spray or something else.

Like a 9 mil
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Thanks! So many choices; not sure which one to go for, but this definitely sounds like the right brand.
    You should get a keychain model specifically because you're likely to have your keys on you. Within the keychain models, I believe the primary options are whether to get a mist or a spray. It's a bit tricky to tell you what for sure to go for. Mist has its downside--like if the wind is blowing in your face, you might get hit harder. The advantage you have over sprays is that sprays require the ability to be able to at least aim. So like, if you're pinned down or something and don't have that much mobility, a spray is only going to be so effective. If you can't aim it somewhere near the face in question, it's not gonna work that great.

Mists on the other hand are kind of a nuclear option that are in my opinion great for self-defense but be aware there's a good chance you're going to get a dose of some spray yourself. Part of the advantage to this those is that it essentially creates a big cloud of SERIOUS UNPLEASANTNESS THAT EVERYONE WANTS TO RUN AWAY FROM. This is pretty useful, and is really exactly what you want out of self-defense--to make it so no one wants to come anywhere near you.

He was brown. I know it.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

And probably wearing a hoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    He was brown. I know it.
    In that neighborhood the population is about 90% latino, with almost the complete rest being Korean.

Which is to say, it wouldn't be surprising, because the demographics of the neighborhood suggest that's who you're running into. But also, why does it matter?
    Last edited by bmack86; 08-03-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Were you on your phone when he approached you? One of my lines of preventive self defense is trying to never have my phone out while walking alone in public.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Learn how to fight and don't be afraid to throw the first 12 punches.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Wouldn't recommend that in that area of town. I lived there for a few years and, while it was never intimidating and nothing like this ever happened to me, there is definitely a gang presence (I had continuous Calle 13 tags on my wall and the walls across from my back door) and I wouldn't want to start anything with someone who would escalate to a level you don't feel comfortable with.

Pepper spray wouldn't have likely helped in this situation, and I don't think it's really effective except in certain situations. Sure, if you are aware that you're being stalked then you have time to react and ready yourself for an imminent attack, otherwise if it's an ambush it won't matter.

Even if you're being stalked and you "ready" yourself, if you suspect someone has a gun, it's really in your best interest to give up your shit rather than escalating the situation. There are so many variables that can go against you, and if don't feel your life is in danger, I don't see any reason to make a bad situation worse. If you fuck up the element of surprise or misfire (which happens frequently under duress) you run the risk of giving your attacker a reason to cause bodily harm, potentially lethal.

Pepper spray is great to give a sense of security, and also has its place in dire encounters. I think for most citizens however, it's not nearly as effective or practical as it's made out to be.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

You should probably get a doberman and walk with it at all times. Or a chow, because they're fluffy, hilarious-looking and completely insane.

Or a cholo "manservant."

Kick! Punch! It all in the mind
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You should get a keychain model specifically because you're likely to have your keys on you. Within the keychain models, I believe the primary options are whether to get a mist or a spray. It's a bit tricky to tell you what for sure to go for. Mist has its downside--like if the wind is blowing in your face, you might get hit harder. The advantage you have over sprays is that sprays require the ability to be able to at least aim. So like, if you're pinned down or something and don't have that much mobility, a spray is only going to be so effective. If you can't aim it somewhere near the face in question, it's not gonna work that great.

Mists on the other hand are kind of a nuclear option that are in my opinion great for self-defense but be aware there's a good chance you're going to get a dose of some spray yourself. Part of the advantage to this those is that it essentially creates a big cloud of SERIOUS UNPLEASANTNESS THAT EVERYONE WANTS TO RUN AWAY FROM. This is pretty useful, and is really exactly what you want out of self-defense--to make it so no one wants to come anywhere near you.
    This was genuinely helpful. Thanks.

I don't live in K'town anymore, but, yes, he was brown. Just like me. He was also young and dumb. Didn't even try and take my wallet or bag.

No, I wasn't on the phone, but was listening to music. In fact, I had A Place to Bury Strangers blasting; probably not the power move. Phone in front shirt pocket, headphones on. I obviously wasn't paying enough attention and he was definitely waiting for someone in that very state.

And, I know the likelihood of needing to use the pepper spray is not high. And I know there's a risk of the victim fouling things up royally. I know. But I have to admit this experience has made me a bit jittery. This is just about a [probably false] sense of security rather than a practical element of self-defense. The bigger lesson to me is not to get tunnel vision or lost in one's music or thoughts and to be fully aware of one's surroundings; even on streets I've walked hundreds of times.

I used to carry this stuff called lightning bolt spray. It's supposed to make the attacker experience intense pain and nausea. It also dyes their face blue so they can be spotted.
    It probably does just provide a false sense of security but it doesn't hurt.
    Glad you're ok, by the way.
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

having been OC sprayed before, if i were so fucked as to think about threatening someone with a gun with any intent of using it whatsoever, that spray would make me pull the trigger. it does not disable, just annoy/enrage. think tazer or firearm, but above, think escape/placation if you can.

The bigger lesson to me is not to get tunnel vision or lost in one's music or thoughts and to be fully aware of one's surroundings; even on streets I've walked hundreds of times.
    This is key.

And if you ever consider taking self defense classes, I can't rate Krav Maga highly enough. Unlike a martial art, there are no katas, no bullshit, but they don't hand out black belts. Also anything goes, there are no rules when defending yourself so groin kicks, eye gouges, joint locks, lethal chokes etc. all are taught. They will also teach techniques (defense against chokes, attacks with stick, knife, gun, etc.) under high stress situations (in the dark, noise distractions, multiple attackers etc.) that are more practical for street encounters.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    In that neighborhood the population is about 90% latino, with almost the complete rest being Korean.

Which is to say, it wouldn't be surprising, because the demographics of the neighborhood suggest that's who you're running into. But also, why does it matter?
    What matters here is that this should be looked at as fresh crime scene. We know he’s brown. We also know that you are quite familiar with the area demographics and even the actual neighborhood gang. It should also be noted that you, on many occasion, have been seen with what could be considered a Mexican mafia shot caller moustache. I’m going to ask what everyone wants to know…are you in fact a member of calle 13? Do you know the guys who have the phone? Do you own a phone that was purchased at a park?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Thats my purse!!!! I don't know you!!!!

he was brown. Just like me.
    I think we found the title for the TV movie about your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    I tried to find a good video of this on YouTube last night but they were all manipulated, thanks to copyright I'm sure.

Also mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    having been OC sprayed before, if i were so fucked as to think about threatening someone with a gun with any intent of using it whatsoever, that spray would make me pull the trigger. it does not disable, just annoy/enrage. think tazer or firearm, but above, think escape/placation if you can.
    This is somewhat accurate, which is why specifically you need to get Fox brand spray. Cops buy this shit to replace the pepper sprays they get from the force. There's a great explanation of it on their site which uses some really horrifying figures to explain just how much hotter/more painful their stuff is compared to every competitor, and I've seen it in action. The guys who got hit with it were absolute psychopaths (one of whom I'd known to beat someone I'm pretty sure 90 percent of the way to death after having been stabbed in the side) but when that Fox hit the air... EVERYBODY cleared out. The attackers, the onlookers, the victim. EVERYBODY. There is nothing tolerable about it whatsoever.

I also recommend Krav Maga. Before my girls went off to college, I sent them to a basic one-day women's defense workshop. They 're 5'2", 105 lbs, and I figured if we couldn't be around to kick some ass for them, they'd better be able to do it themselves. (I think they were slightly dismayed by the eye gouging thing, but I was like hey do whatcha gotta do to protect yourselves.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Krav is the best thing for self defense. Knowing how to throw a headbutt properly and how to get at someone's eyes/balls are invaluable. I still always recommend having a spray on your keychain because if somebody is trying to mug you and they don't have a gun, you can "accidentally" set off the pepper spray without them even getting that close to you and they WILL fuck off. Unless you're wearing a suit of diamonds, no jacker I've ever known would want to bother with the hassle.

Fox sprays are the closest thing you can get to Mace nowadays. I have very clear memories of hearing gangbanging cats talking about mace vs. pepper spray. The general sentiment was "fuck a bunch of pepper spray, I'll take a walk through that shit." But back when you could still get real Mace... that was not the sentiment issued. Mace was "fuck this, let's bail" no matter what the target. The only thing close to mace anymore though is bear spray or Fox, and bear spray ain't easily carried around.

Hehehe, I'd be highly impressed by anyone carrying around bear spray. But yeah, that's not an innocuous canister by any means.

Randy, how many jackers do you know?