Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football: 2013 Edition

Default Re: College Football: 2013 Edition

Major college sports, and in particular Division I football, is contradictory, absurd, and flamboyantly hypocritical. The NCAA is essentially a self-regulating, self-policing organization, and yet school after school after school violate the rules they themselves helped create. And then they blame the NCAA. It's no wonder, really, that NCAA management is so paranoid-schizophrenic: given a job to do, then told not to do it by the most powerful members.
    Last edited by TomAz; 08-28-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammar duh
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Either way, Stanford and Oregon are both gonna be in Pasadena next January.

I saw that my Cal Bears were ranked with the hardest Schedule this year. Should be another fun season. I'll be happy with a 4 win season from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

it's gonna be a long, painful season
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Either way, Stanford and Oregon are both gonna be in Pasadena next January.
    Very unlikely to happen because they play each other late in the season so one of them will have a loss.

Georgia/Clemson should be good tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    08/31/2013 12:00 PM EDT

155 MASSACHUSETTS
    156 WISCONSIN -45

Take the points!

Wisconsin at 7:30 MASS WIS 4th Quarter

1st and 10 at WIS 33 Corey Clement rush for 6 yards to the Wisc 39. 0 45
    2nd and 4 at WIS 39 Corey Clement rush for 7 yards to the Wisc 46 for a 1ST down. *
    1st and 10 at WIS 46 Corey Clement rush for 8 yards to the UMass 46. *
    2nd and 2 at MASS 46 Timeout WISCONSIN, clock 5:20. *
    2nd and 2 at MASS 46 Corey Clement rush for 4 yards to the UMass 42 for a 1ST down. *
    1st and 10 at MASS 42 Corey Clement rush for 5 yards to the UMass 37. *
    2nd and 5 at MASS 37 Corey Clement rush for 2 yards to the UMass 35. *
    3rd and 3 at MASS 35 Joel Stave pass complete to Sam Arneson for 8 yards to the UMass 27 for a 1ST down. *
    1st and 10 at MASS 27 Corey Clement rush for 2 yards to the UMass 25. *
    2nd and 8 at MASS 25 Jeffrey Lewis rush for no gain to the UMass 25. *
    3rd and 8 at MASS 25 Corey Clement rush for 23 yards to the UMass 2 for a 1ST down. *
    1st and Goal at MASS 2 Corey Clement rush for 1 yard, fumbled, forced by Trey Seals, recovered by Wisc Rob Havenstein at the UMass 1. *
    * End of 4th Quarter

Final WIS 45 UMASS 0

Vegas is scary.

My Cal Bears just lost to GPS Northwestern. This is game that Cal should have won and I even think outplayed Northwestern but pre-snap mistakes and a coupe of bad break pick-six led to their loss. Overall all though it's a young team and even with the loss I haven't been this excited about a Cal season in some time. Even though I would still be happy with a 4 win season this team should still be a fun team to watch. Young team and I see good things ahead for them. Also Jared Goff is the first ever true freshman to start at QB in the history of the Cal program, which is over 100 years.

I agree, that was a sloppy game by both teams but overall, Cal was much more physical and definitely had some plays that they could have broken loose. Pretty excited to see what they've got to offer against OSU.

Missed the game due to a wedding but from the updates I was getting I really like that the bears showed some fight but the untimely the pick six reminds me that the curse of the bear remains strong despite new leadership.

Note: I'm no longer a young alum so the pessimism runs strong
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 09-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

No. 22 Northwestern beats Cal 44-30 in opener

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    My Cal Bears just lost to GPS Northwestern. This is game that Cal should have won and I even think outplayed Northwestern but pre-snap mistakes and a coupe of bad break pick-six led to their loss. Overall all though it's a young team and even with the loss I haven't been this excited about a Cal season in some time. Even though I would still be happy with a 4 win season this team should still be a fun team to watch. Young team and I see good things ahead for them. Also Jared Goff is the first ever true freshman to start at QB in the history of the Cal program, which is over 100 years.
    Sorry for your loss. There's always next week.

Also, don't forget this play....when Cal's Chris McCain was ejected for targeting

"California defensive lineman Chris McCain was ejected from the season opening game against No. 22 Northwestern because of targeting.

The ejection came in the fourth quarter Saturday night when officials ruled McCain hit Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian with a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Under a new NCAA rule this season, players who "target" and contact defenseless players will receive a 15-yard penalty and be ejected. Because the ejection came in the second half, McCain will also miss the first half of next week's Portland State game."
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Missed the game due to a wedding but from the updates I was getting I really like that the bears showed some fight but the untimely the pick six reminds me that the curse of the bear remains strong despite new leadership.

Note: I'm no longer a young alum so the pessimism runs strong
    I'm not even an alum. My brother went to Cal and then routing for them and my college doesn't have a football team so I stuck with them. Hence why the so cal guy is a fan of a nor cal team. But the game is really worth a watch on ESPN3 if you can. Goff looks like he has some real potential. Much better looking then Maynard/Longshore/Riley/Ayoob anyone else they have fielded since Rodgers left. He is still a tad bit to skinny but only 18 years old so he has some time to fill out his body. But yeah I'm not sure if hoping for a 4 win season is optimistic or pessimistic or not but that is what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Sorry for your loss. There's always next week.

Also, don't forget this play....when Cal's Chris McCain was ejected for targeting

"California defensive lineman Chris McCain was ejected from the season opening game against No. 22 Northwestern because of targeting.

The ejection came in the fourth quarter Saturday night when officials ruled McCain hit Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian with a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Under a new NCAA rule this season, players who "target" and contact defenseless players will receive a 15-yard penalty and be ejected. Because the ejection came in the second half, McCain will also miss the first half of next week's Portland State game."
    Yeah that targeting rule is complete bull shit. Don't get me wrong I'm all for it there is real evidence for malicious intent behind the hit. However being a 1/2 step to late from a clean hit to a targeting/roughing the passer/defenseless player is such bullshit. Give them the penalty fine but ejection come on. I understand they safety concerns but come one this football you are bound to get hit in the head once in a while. Players shouldn't be ejected nor suspended the next half for being a 1/2 step to late within the rules of the game.

Considering the NFL just settled for almost a billion dollars on this very issue I don't think you can blame the NCAA for putting the rule in. It may take some time for players to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    Considering the NFL just settled for almost a billion dollars on this very issue I don't think you can blame the NCAA for putting the rule in. It may take some time for players to get used to it.
    I don't blame them for putting the rule in. I even said I understand the safety concerns and am all for it if there is real malicious intent behind it. What I am saying is that this is football and there are going to be accidental hits to head and I think it is complete bullshit to be ejected for being a 1/2 step to late. If McCain or the Texas A&M player took multiple steps then targeted the guy OK eject them I have no issues with that. However in both cases they were a 1/2 step to late and had no time to adjust to the hit. Give them the penalty but I believe ejecting them for that is just wrong.

Baylor has 453 yard and 56 points against Buffalo.. and it's not even halftime yet.

edit: 501 yards at the half.
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.

I don't care who they play against, I always love to see USC lose!

Northwestern 48 Syracuse 27

I JUST HEARD! 10-7! It is SO SO satisfying to see USC lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

How was that game possible? I think I could put on pads and throw wounded ducks to Marqise Lee and still manage to get at least 200 yards of total offense.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Washington State actually did a great job of locking down Lee. Plus throw in Kiffen's ultra conservative offense calls and two quarterbacks that while are completely different styles both aren't very good thus far. Also both teams defense played really good. Washington States only TD was from a pick 6 and SC caused three 1st half turnovers.

USC gobbles balls. I will be surprised if they even win one PAC-12 game this season.

UCLA red-shirt Nick "Pacman" Pasquale was killed on Sunday morning after being hit by a car. From what I've read, it likely wasn't the driver's fault, and he even stuck around until the police/ambulance showed up. Very sad regardless.

USC gobbles balls. I will be surprised if they even win one PAC-12 game this season.
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Lol:

@ArashMarkazi Kiffin will not address the media today about his QB decision. The school will post a video of Kiffin explaining his decision on YouTube.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Props to Oregon for showing everyone that the SEC is NOT the only conference that can play football.

Well the first half of the Cal OSU game was exciting at least. Goff is the first Cal QB to pass for over 300 yards in 3 straight game since Aaron Rodgers, which I guess perfectly sums up the state of the Cal Program since Aaron Rodgers left.

Anyone else watch UCLA-Nebraska this morning? I was pretty beat up after the first half, as UCLA looked complacent, tired and completely ineffective until the last 3 minutes of the second quarter. However, those last 3 minutes they looked like a different team. That team showed up in the second half and delivered 28 unanswered points in one quarter. They looked as dominant as any team I've ever seen. Completely effective, completely together, they played thrilling football. I was overjoyed.

I was supposed to meet my Nebraska friends to watch the game this morning but was way too tired after Iron Maiden last night and slept in. I wasn't surprised to hear the score before the 3rd quarter (home advantage and all) but when I heard the score at the 4th quarter I WTF'd. I'm kinda glad I wasn't there cuz they can get pretty emotional about the game whereas I just go for fun. Also, they went to the same matchup at the Rose Bowl last year (I had to sell my ticket) and UCLA also whooped them. Would have rather been there for that.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

My best friend grew up a diehard UCLA fan. He got married two weeks ago to a diehard Nebraska fan. For their wedding gift, her father gave them his season ticket seats to today's game. I tried to call them afterwards, but I'm guessing Jean was not going to let him answer the phone after that drubbing.