Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football: 2013 Edition

Default College Football: 2013 Edition

We are a bit more than a month away from the start of the new season.

How's your team going to do? What games are you excited to see? Will the Devils beat up on the Catholics in Jerry World?
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Default Re: College Football: 2013 Edition

My Buckeyes are going to go undefeated then get crushed by Bama in the NC game. Consolation prize Braxton Miller wins the Heisman

Yeah, Ohio State should be beastly again this year.

I have no idea how my Trojans are going to do.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Good timing, I just purchased airfare this afternoon to South Bend for the Oklahoma game at the end of September.

OSU has had a hell of a week distraction-wise.

I think USC will be better this season. If they're not, there will be a big silver lining for the fans in that Haden would almost certainly fire Lane Kiffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If Haden doesn't get fired himself.

It's going to be another long season for the California Golden Bears. Should be at least more fun to watch with Sunny Dykes as the new head coach, but I really liked Tedford though but it was time for him to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I think USC will be better this season. If they're not, there will be a big silver lining for the fans in that Haden would almost certainly fire Lane Kiffin.
    Thanks to it being the Pac-12 now, we don't play Oregon this year. And we get Stanford at home. Our schedule could definitely be tougher.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I don't think this weeks distractions will carry over into the season for the Buckeyes. I have a feeling both those starters that got kicked off the team this week are going to be reinstated at some point in the season anyways, probably just in time for the "tough" part of the schedule. I say "tough" because our schedule is a joke this year, if we don't run the table it will be a shock. The big game for me this season is going to be the CAL-OHIO STATE match in Berkeley this year, just bought tickets for my wife and I today actually. In the 11 years I've lived in California this will be the third time I will have the opportunity to see my beloved Buckeyes in person away from the 'Shoe. First time was in 2008 vs. USC, they drubbed us 35-3, it was a rough night but the USC fans were surprisingly gentle, I think the USC fans were kind of embarrassed for us, I got the feeling most of them were hoping for a good game as well. In 2010 I got to live out a dream and see the Buckeyes win the Grandaddy of Them All against Oregon. That was truly a special moment in my life.

As for the Golden Bears, they are going to be terrible but that Bigelow kid is fun to watch. I expect the Trojans to drop a couple winnable games but still make it to the Pac-12 Championship Game.

Last year's OSU game against Cal had Bigelow run all over the field, right? I doubt he'll have a performance like that again vs the Bucks, but Cal stuck around for a while.

As an ASU fan, I'm very curious about USC this year. Kiffin certainly is feeling the heat, but there are question marks with how the offense will do with the new signal caller. Personally, I'm hoping that when ASU/SC tangle there will be a similar result to 2011. ASU is primed to have a good season, and if they wind up winning at least 3 of their first 5, I'll be ecstatic. Their first 5 games include 3 teams that went to BCS bowls:

VS Sacramento State
    VS Wisconsin
    @ Stanford
    VS USC
    @ Notre Dame - Dallas
    Last edited by nine day brawl; 07-24-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

I hope USC crashes, burns, ruins the soil on the field and makes it so that they can never be a fertile, active team again.

I'm excited to see what UCLA does this season. It seems like it can really be up in the air, but I'm used to UCLA football being a disappointment, so if they do decently I'll be happy. I'll be ecstatic if we win the rivalry game 2 seasons in a row for the first time since the golden 90s. (Unless you count the two forfeited games because USC was full of shit during Pete Carroll's era.)
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-24-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm an SC fan and I'm not to confident about going into this season. We don't know how the qb situation will play out. The running back position is meh. Receivers are strong but thats about it on offense. the O line still stinks. Defensively who knows. They have all the talent in the world but coaching and depth have been problems of recent memory. At best, they lose two games. At worst, 5.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    Last year's OSU game against Cal had Bigelow run all over the field, right? I doubt he'll have a performance like that again vs the Bucks, but Cal stuck around for a while.
    Yeah that was the game he had like 3 TDs and 200 yds on 4 rushes or something like that. He just couldn't be stopped that game. Also it's sort of sad that a loss was the highlight of the season last year.

Honestly I'm just happy as hell we no longer have Maynard as our QB. Only reason he even went to Cal was because Keenan wanted to play with his step brother and Cal accepted him to get Keenan. Seriously though Maynard was the worst Cal QB I have watched since my brother went to Berkely and I started paying attention to them. Fucking worse then Kevin Riley and Joe Ayoob combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

The Rice Owls made it to their first bowl game since 2008 last year with a 7-6 campaign in 2012. They even suffered three losses by four points or less last season, so it could have been even better. The Owls capped off their season with a 33-14 victory over Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl.

David Bailiff’s team enters the 2013 season on a 5-game winning streak to close out last year. This could be his best squad yet with 19 starters and 54 lettermen back. This is the most experienced team in Conference USA heading into the 2013 season.

The offense welcomes back nine starters from a unit that put up 31.8 points and 427 total yards per game last year. Leading the way will be QB Taylor McHargue, who completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 2,209 yards with 12 touchdowns and 5 interceptions, while also rushing for 667 yards and 11 scores.

The defense should be one of the most improved in Conference USA with 10 starters back from a unit that allowed 30.0 points and 426 total yards per game. Each of the top eight tacklers are back, including senior SS Paul Porras (93 tackles, 2 INT), senior LB Cameron Nwosu (92 tackles, 7 for loss, 2 INT) and senior DE Cody Bauer (51 tackles, 12 for loss).

The non-conference schedule is pretty tough as the Owls will have to face three BCS teams. While they have almost zero shot of pulling off the upset at Texas A&M, they do have three winnable games against Kansas, Houston and New Mexico State.

Rice has a Conference USA schedule that sets up very well for a run at a West Title. It avoids the top two teams from the East in Marshall and East Carolina, while facing both both UAB and Florida Atlantic from that division.

However, the Owls must face a key game against Tulsa on the road on October 5. Hands down, the Golden Hurricane are the top contender to the Owls to win the West in 2013 after capturing the division title last year.

All in all, the Conference USA schedule should be pretty easy overall. I have pegged Rice as a favorite in seven of its eight conference games this season due to all of the experience it has returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

UCLA will defeat USC again, and Nebraska again in Lincoln.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Ka'Deem Carey is the best RB in the country. I have no idea how the rest of my team (Arizona) will fare.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Well they have that intimidating nonconference schedule of NAU, UNLV, and UTSA.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

NAU. God bless em'.

The Rice Owls made it to their first bowl game since 2008 last year with a 7-6 campaign in 2012.
    You are a rice fan? Did you go there? Did you live in Texas?
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Ka'Deem Carey is the best RB in the country. I have no idea how the rest of my team (Arizona) will fare.
    I'm more excited to walk into the stadium and see the completed north end zone, the new turf and the new jerseys.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    You are a rice fan? Did you go there? Did you live in Texas?
    yes; yes; yes

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I'm more excited to walk into the stadium and see the completed north end zone, the new turf and the new jerseys.
    Don't forget the New and Improved Pride of Arizona

(improved in that my daughter will be a freshman in the trombone section)

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I hope USC crashes, burns, ruins the soil on the field and makes it so that they can never be a fertile, active team again.

I'm excited to see what UCLA does this season. It seems like it can really be up in the air, but I'm used to UCLA football being a disappointment, so if they do decently I'll be happy. I'll be ecstatic if we win the rivalry game 2 seasons in a row for the first time since the golden 90s. (Unless you count the two forfeited games because USC was full of shit during Pete Carroll's era.)
    Amen to all of this.

I've always hated USC and it was beautiful watching the Bruins beat them last year.

I sent my best friend (USC Alum) a flood of texts after the game.
    Last edited by SepaGroove; 07-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Yeah, that's going to look great. I'm going to try to fly home for one of our games for sure.
    Don't forget the New and Improved Pride of Arizona

(improved in that my daughter will be a freshman in the trombone section)
    Nice!

My Florida Gators will have another top 10 team this year if they step it up after that dismal loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl last year. Big games as always vs. Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, and FSU, not to mention Miami back on the schedule this year. We always have a tough schedule but at least we don't have to play Alabama until hopefully the SEC championship where they would most likely beat us on their way to a third National Championship in a row. If Driskoll can step up his game as a passer, we could be seriously in the hunt for an SEC and National Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Yeah, that's going to look great. I'm going to try to fly home for one of our games for sure.

Nice!

It's pretty much complete. (For those who are not familiar with Arizona stadium, there were metal bleachers on this end before and it wasn't enclosed. Also, the football facilities were actually in McKale prior to this but now Arizona football has some of the best facilities in the conference.

7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

From the U of U's new football facility, Utah Football's "core values":

i.o.w: there are no values per se; just don't do shit to embarrass the program.

Treat Women With Respect: Football finally lost its way.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

08/31/2013 12:00 PM EDT

155 MASSACHUSETTS
    156 WISCONSIN -45

Take the points!

Sometimes I wonder if the NCAA is parodying itself.

I actually think they're treading lightly on this because they don't want to open another front in the "pay college athletes" conflagration that will build as the O'Bannon lawsuit advances.

It is absurd though: "well the kid said he did nothing wrong, so what can we do to prove it?" They're the anti-Seligs.