Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Question - Is 2013 So Far The Worst Year For Album's In Over A Decade?

Default Re: Serious Question - Is 2013 So Far The Worst Year For Album's In Over A Decade?

It's been a weird year for what is drawing me in (anything that sounds like 90s boombap or bands that still own guitars):

Artist - Album (metacritic score, just cause the first guy mentioned he follow those) - thoughts

Deafheaven - Sunbather (95) - I'll second Bryan on this one, but I like pretty much any band loosely associated with Sargent House.
    Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap (86)
    Statik Selekta - Extended Play (83)
    Run the Jewels - S/T (85)
    Demigodz - KILLmatic (n/a, but probably would be sub-50) - Can't defend it. I enjoy it, though. First song is just a straight sample of "Gonna Fly Now". It's uphill from there.
    The White Mandingos - The Ghetto is Tryna Kill Me (n/a) - Murs and Darryl Jenifer (Bad Brains) and Sacha Jenkins (editor of EgoTrip magazine)'s weird hip-rock band. Reminds me more of Franti's old Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy albums than [bad raprock joke band].
    letlive. - The Blackest Beautiful (83) - I am a bit confused why I like this album so much. It's pretty much a combination of a bunch of genres that I don't enjoy hidden in a post-hardcore shell that my ears find enjoyable.
    Weekend - Jinx (n/a) - Listened to it once. Loved it. Will like it more next week when I don't have to use an NPR stream.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Default Re: Serious Question - Is 2013 So Far The Worst Year For Album's In Over A Decade?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Tom, just a warning: most of those are metal records, and some of a fairly extreme metal bent. That said, I think you'll get at least some enjoyment out of Deafheaven...
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    ...Deafheaven - Sunbather (95) - I'll second Bryan on this one...
    So I listened to some of this today.. the guitars are fabulous. I mean a really really great sound that just grabs you and won't let go. I was like "man this is awesome". then the vocals started, and I remembered what I don't like about modern metal. I may need to work a bit to acquire this taste, though, cuz seriously those guitars are great
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

What people have mentioned working is considering the vocals as an instrument fed through some serious distortion. I like that style quite a bit though so it really connects with me.

Inter Arma is another one where the vocals may grate, but the musical variety on there is just so killer. If you haven't listened to the William Tyler album though, that one is a winner and not at all metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TheRotten42 View Post
    the new Portugal. The Man album Evil Friends is amazing.
    Yes, it is. And my face melted at their recent Wiltern show.

Also get a boner for the new Editors, Wavves, MSI and FIDLAR - and am so looking forward to Franz, NIN and Arctic Monkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What people have mentioned working is considering the vocals as an instrument fed through some serious distortion.
    so it's not just me then.

but yes I see the logic there.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    The classic "Critics" listener, I neither listen to radio or burrow deep to discover up-and-coming bands no one else is talking about, rather, I track reviews on critical aggregators like metacritic, Album of The Year.org and acclaimedmusic.net and try to pick up the year's consensus top 100-150 albums. At the end of each year, I put together a massive mix collection for friends and coworkers highlighting what I've enjoyed the most, and I've been doing this since I was about 22 (1988). Granted it used to be mixtapes for just a few and Rolling Stone, Newspaper, and Spin best of lists rather than internet sites...but the overall point is like many on this board, I'm seriously into popular music, and gravitate towards what many others find to be the best.
    This is wherein the problem lies. As you mention, there used to be just a few best of lists. Now there are a plethora of sites, with different foci. There is less consensus. The problem isn't that the albums are worse it's that more critics have voices so naturally there is more disagreement.

You mentioned VU & Nico and Forever Changes; were they on Best of lists in 1967? I'd say that while there will never be as much consensus as there once was (more voices, fracturing and recombining genres) the albums that in 2032 will be seen as the best of 2012 were each on somebody's Best Of list. Almost certainly not all on any one list. And probably not Pitchfork's or Rolling Stone's. And maybe not even the top rated albums on Metacritic (though I'd bet there'd be a couple that carry over).

If we had the Web, etc. in 1967 The Velvet Underground and Nico and Forever Changes would have been on some lists, though there'd also be people saying Chelsea Girl is the better record. So would Straight, No Chaser, Goodbye and Hello, Howlin's Wolf's Evil. Someone would have been raving about the self-titled debuts from The Electric Prunes and David Bowie as well as Days Of Future Passed, Soul Finger and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Someone would be saying "We need to watch this Frank Zappa character" while someone else would be raving about Captain Beefheart. There'd be talk of the two fantastic albums by Otis Redding and his tragic death. That is happening now, too but these are not the albums that are achieving a consensus. Hell, even now not everything here is to your (or my) taste.

Which is probably a bigger thing here. The result of the access to and the existence of a huge number of bands now along with the fractioning and recombining of genres is that there is more out there. We can each get what we want and it won't necessarily be the same as the next person.

And then, so many titles this year, celebrated titles a lot on here like that I just can't stand - Youth Lagoon, Disclosure (someone please tell me what this album offers that hasn't been done five times better by other acts over the last half decade), "Boreds" of Canada, QOTSA's sleep inducing ...Like Clockwork, MBV disappointing new release, James Blake, Kanye's comically bad Yeezus.
    A number of people here have said they've loved one or more of these records (I'll call out mbv) but that doesn't mean they're the best records; there are a bunch there that I haven't liked or haven't bothered with because I don't like their other music. That doesn't mean anything, fundamentally.

So obviously, for me, I feel like I've hit some kind of saturation point...where just decent/good/kinda interesting suddenly doesn't cut it anymore, and in both music and frankly, the last two year's Coachella, I feel like that's all we are getting anymore.
    You are limiting yourself. The change is you.

1. Are we reaching an age of oversaturation, where too much of a good thing, too many solid bands, making too many solid but not great albums, playing too many mega-festivals, is threatening to dull our appreciation of the new.
    No. Consensus is not necessary for greatness.

And more good records being out means that you can't listen to 100-150 albums six times each anymore and expect to get the same result. Listen to 200-300 albums twice each and then the ones you like get another two listens and then half of those get another two listens. You've started with a wider field and thus will have a better final set. [Or, whatever. Listen to 500 pairs of songs from 500 different records and then listen to the full albums if you see something interesting in/like the songs. I am not prescribing an exact method but saying that it can be beneficial to cast your net wider and ramp up the attention as you cull the herd).

2. Are the technological market forces that have returned us to the "era of the single" killed the "album" as the central element in rock music, or are we just in a lull.
    The album barely ever held sway and even then it was probably only in the mind of critics. Radio has always been about singles.

Also Spotify and similar make it easier to hear full albums. We don't have to rely on mixes and lone mp3s or scattered YouTube videos.

3. Was classic rock maybe more "classic" than younger listeners want to believe. Case in point, I go back and listen to one of my past music collection mixes each week, and the thing that's really striking me about so many of them from the Aughts is how poorly many of the songs, even some from just a few years ago, are holding up, how "disposable" many of them feel, while old sixties classics I've burned through multiple copies of - VU and Nico, Are You Experienced, Astral Weeks, Exile On Main Street, Rubber Soul, Who's Next, Something Else By The Kinks, London Calling - sound as vibrant today as when I first heard them.
    No. There was (fake) consensus and myth-making and corporate interests narrowing down on certain things to market the hell out of them. And nostalgia. Also the albums you mention are from a good span of time. It is completely unbalanced to compare your favorite records released from a 15 year span to the music you've come across from the last 6 months.

Also if I were to make a list of favorite albums from those artists I would pick different records in almost every instance. Some of their vibrancy today is inside you, you are on some level remembering the impact these albums made on you when you first heard them.

5. Is it time for music to start looking forward again? - As one LA Times critic put it so well, in the years from the mid-50s to the late 90s - rock and it's offspring had a constant forward momentum - there were retro offerings and back to basics movements to be sure - but primarily, the direction and innovation was always forward leaning - but that momentum stopped cold in the Aughts - with that decade's mantra instead becoming one of synthesis, the emphasis on finding new recombinatory possibilities in the styles of the past. Have we reached a point where it's time for our artists to start looking forward again, rather than to the past for inspiration...I don't know, like I said, I hate the new James Blake, and that's in some ways as forward looking a release as 2013 has produced.
    There is a lot of forward-thinking music right now. Maybe not in the more mainstream genres.

6. Or are we just experiencing a cyclical lull - For me 2013 is shaping up as an all-time weak album year, rating right there with 73-74 and some of the early CD years of the mid-late 80s, that produced almost nothing of genuine note on the long playing spectrum? Are better days just around the corner, or has every nook and cranny possible in the rock/Hip-Hop spectrum been exploited, so today's young artists really have almost no place to go other than imitating their forebears unless they are willing to go majorly inaccessible...
    "Majorly inaccessible" is on you. I am liking a lot of albums from 2013, though maybe this has to do with listening to a lot of older music as well as a lot outside the rock/pop arena. I couldn't listen to all rock/pop; I would get very bored very quickly (but 15+ years ago that was all I listened to). The change has been with me.

The answer to all of this is I don't know...But I'd love to hear thoughts on these points from others on this board, especially older posters who aren't just now growing into their music loving years, but have been at it a good long while like I have.
    I am just a decade younger than you. I have gone through a number of musical revolutions, finding new bands and genres and working them in to my listening. High school involved a lot of Led Zeppelin, Queen and Rush... yet I don't listen to any of them anymore (OK, fine, I go on a Queen kick every once in a while). But then I found Brit Pop and Shoegaze and a lot of great stuff. 1997 was probably the last year I heard something on regular radio and bought a record as a result. "Not If You Were the Last Junkie On Earth" played and I loved it and looked up a review online; the reviewer trashed the album but was descriptive and what was clear to me was that I'd LOVE it (and I did).

There was a blow-up in 2002 when my friend moved back to town and we shared music; we had a lot of music in common but each knew a lot the other didn't. Then in 2005 I really started to go hard into rap, metal, jazz and country. I have listened to classical music for a good 15 years but after moving to NYC a couple years ago and with Spotify I have gone hard down that rabbit hole; I have probably heard multiple songs from ~70 rock, etc. records from 2013 but for classical recordings released in 2013 that number is certainly well over 200. Talk about a (collection of) genre(s) where people often (sadly) no longer even have this sort of conversation, having given up (and missing out on a lot of amazing stuff).

At one time I decided my favorite year for music was 1995. At the time I did not know all of what are now my current favorite albums from 1995. And I would no longer point to 1995 or any year. Or even the 1990s. There is a lot of music I love from the 90s but that is fueled by nostalgia. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I need to keep pushing to keep enjoying new stuff.

This might have gotten too long. I was considering offering a concise response (the state of music isn't materially different but you are also different and you are also stuck in the same patterns. Cast your net wider (genres and albums) and you will find better stuff. And probably more importantly "I like this" != "good". There is no "good". Rankings are dumb and everyone misses stuff) but that seems to cutesy. I hope you are able to find methods that work for you and, more importantly, find music you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    so it's not just me then.

but yes I see the logic there.
    25 years ago "Orion" was my favorite song on Master of Puppets because I didn't like Hetfield's voice. I grew into it (and they grew awful just as quickly) but still didn't listen to much metal. Or, rather didn't think of myself as listening to much metal but it crept in. Type O Negative and Fear Factory and whatnot before I realized it. And then I decided to try metal and, really, extreme metal is where the craziest stuff is. And found some records I couldn't not listen to and got over my constraints about vocals.

I am not totally on board with the troll rasp vocal style found in Bathory, Immortal, Melechesh, etc. And can't imagine anything else that would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    We have new Arcade Fire?
    Yea it's posted on a couple of threads here. Oct 29th, just in time for VooDoo (I wish prob no way)? cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

more Franz??? Hooray!
    I partook in some P.TM face melting last week, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    And more good records being out means that you can't listen to 100-150 albums six times each anymore and expect to get the same result. Listen to 200-300 albums twice each and then the ones you like get another two listens and then half of those get another two listens. You've started with a wider field and thus will have a better final set. [Or, whatever. Listen to 500 pairs of songs from 500 different records and then listen to the full albums if you see something interesting in/like the songs. I am not prescribing an exact method but saying that it can be beneficial to cast your net wider and ramp up the attention as you cull the herd).

No. There was (fake) consensus and myth-making and corporate interests narrowing down on certain things to market the hell out of them. And nostalgia. Also the albums you mention are from a good span of time. It is completely unbalanced to compare your favorite records released from a 15 year span to the music you've come across from the last 6 months.
    IlliniQ, John mountmccabe makes a ton of good points here and I want to respond to these two. Remember I am actually older than you and I have been where you are and I have learned (or rather, I think I have learned, at least a little bit) what it takes to fight complacency and the "modern music is shit, they don't make it like they used to anymore" syndrome that infects the lesser minds of our generation.

I was just thinking this morning on my drive to work about how I don't listen to the same album over and over and over like I used to. I remember Robert Christgau once made a point that he wouldn't even consider reviewing an album unless he'd listened to is front to back at least 10 times. There is just no way in hell a person can do that now .. even if he were independently wealthy and did nothing but listen to music ever. (that would also make Jack a very dull boy, I would think). So John's right in his advice to you on that point.

Regarding "classic" rock.. John's fake consensus point is right. Remember also there were a LOT FEWER record labels back then and that record labels were the ONLY way a band could get its music heard. Columbia and Arista and Motown and whoever controlled (nearly) everything. That meant there had to be a lot more conformity to get your music produced.. yes there was a Frank Zappa but today there are like 50 or 500 Frank Zappa eccentrics. So when the indie labels started to really take root in the DIY punk era it started a gradual shift in the landscape. Then when the internet took over the world and the need for a lot of capital infrastructure (manufacturing plants) went away it democratized the market even further and now pretty much any fucktard can produce and distribute music and probably does. The market is much more atomized than it was and I think this is a really good thing but it does make it harder to find the good stuff and it certainly means the canonical definitions of What Is Good Music are far less prescribed, Pitchfork be damned.

Tom, Bmack, mountmccabe and others, thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

That said, I have a hard time seeing myself changing my listening patterns that much, I do use spotify! to winnow through new releases as much as possible and lock in one what interests me most, but truth be told, with two tweener kids running the asylum, the only time I have to truly listen is the commute to and from work.

Clearly though, it sounds like this is a year to reach beyond the typical pitchfork/metacritic/coachella lineup indie spectrum, as within that specific niche, I feel I'm actually hearing a lot of agreement with my original thesis...wonder if I had listed it more specifically as "Is 2013 the weakest year in a Decade in Indie-Rock," if there might have been more takers?

Anyways, thanks again for your points, and keep up work on that Overlooked Albums Per Decade Thread - it's awesome!
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

2013 has Destroid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRotten42 View Post
    the new Portugal. The Man album Evil Friends is amazing.
    I third this. (KVUNTY beat me to the second)

Also, thanks to these forums, I have been Christgau-listening to Jagwar Ma "Howlin" which is pleasantly infectious.

The new Vampire Weekend is solid. Great summer poolside soundtrack.

"La Costa Perdida" by Camper Van Beethoven got me through some shitty winter driving and is worth the investment but I must confess that I am a fanboy.

I am older than IlliniQ and younger (not by much) than TomAZ. For me, real life gets in the way of digging on new music. Gearing up for Coachella (every year since 2010) has kept me somewhat on the periphery of new music but I am a shadow of my former listening/critiquing self (30-35 years ago).

BTW, the best year for albums was 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    I third this. (KVUNTY beat me to the second)

A great year to be sure, but nothing tops '67 in my mind...2 of my personal top 3 in VU & Nico and Are You Experienced, and three of my top ten adding in Forever Changes, along with Sgt. Peppers, Moby Grape, Surrealistic Pillow, Buffalo Springfield Again, I Never Loved A Man, The Doors, Safe As Milk, Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn, The Who Sell Out, Disreali Gears, Something Else By The Kinks, Axis: Bold As Love, Between The Buttons, John Wesley Harding, Mr. Fantasy, Goodbye and Hello, Days Of Future Past, Da Capo, A Whiter Shade Of Pale...etc, etc...

Yeah, listing these out, doubly-sure, nothing beats '67...the year Rock went from being a couple of things to hundreds of things...

1971 would probably be my number two, then 79, 77, 89, 91, 66, 68, 2005 all in the upper echelon mix.

Weakest years? '74, '81, 2011 haven't given that as much thought.

But my guess is there's already a thread for this discussion.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 07-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Originally, I was thinking that this year was turning out better than 2012 (which, besides Swing Lo Magellan, didn't really blow me away), but I feel like I'm getting to that point with 2013. Sure, there have been some wonderful records released this year (Vampire Weekend, Youth Lagoon, Baths' "Obsidian" [which hadn't been mentioned yet], Nick Cave, the Thermals and Yo La Tengo, among others) but nothing has quite captured the zeitgeist in a way similar to how I felt about (IMO) the last great year of music: 2011. Granted, maybe 2009 - 2011 spoiled me, as those three years were fantastic, but I have my doubts. I also confess that I haven't spent nearly enough time with most records this year, but I definitely have compared with last year.

So basically, I hear what the guy is saying, but I don't know if I'd say 2013 is better than 2012 just by virtue of what has come out quite yet.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

scratching the surface of 1979:

The Clash London Calling

Michael Jackson Off the Wall

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Rust Never Sleeps

Pink Floyd The Wall

Gang of Four Entertainment!

The Specials the Specials

Talking Heads Fear of Music

AC/DC Highway to Hell

Elvis Costello and The Attractions Armed Forces

The Police Reggatta de Blanc

The Undertones The Undertones

The B-52's The B-52's

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Damn the Torpedoes

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Granted, maybe 2009 - 2011 spoiled me
    2007-2009 are what really spoiled me, especially 2009. Those three years were really my awakening with modern independent music, and thus I put that era on a pretty high pedestal. So many otherwise good bands and albums since then have just seemed a bit lackluster when put side-by-side with those three years. And for me, part of why it feels like we're in a bit of a lull right now is because, after hearing albums like Centipede Hz, Shields, and Monomania, it's pretty evident to me that we've seen the best of a lot of the great bands from those years, and I estimate the quality of their output is likely to keep declining from here on out.

It's indeed time for the next substantial, forward thinking bands to arise, it just doesn't seem like there's been too many who have really reached out and grabbed that baton just yet.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I felt this way about 2012, but 2013 has been an awesome year do new music IMO
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    TANGENT ALERT

Do you count London Calling as 1979 or 1980? It was released December 1979 in the UK and January 1980 in the US. Because I live in the US (and because release dates actually mattered pre-internet) I count it as 1980. Therefore, 1980 > 1979 in my view; besides LC we also had Remain In Light, The River, the first Pretenders album, the first English Beat album., the first X album, PiL Second Edition, Entertainment!, Get Happy!!, Closer, Argybargy, The Specials first album, Peter Gabriel's third (& best) album, the very first Kurtis Blow single, Michael Jackson's best album, a pretty good Stevie Wonder album, the last good David Bowie album, John Lennon's comeback and, if it's your cup of tea, The Wall.

edit: oh and also The Feelies, "Redemption Song", and Empty Glass.

oh and Dirty Mind

/tangent
    Last edited by TomAz; 07-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.

..and Crocodiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

TANGENT ALERT

Do you count London Calling as 1979 or 1980? It was released December 1979 in the UK and January 1980 in the US. Because I live in the US (and because release dates actually mattered pre-internet) I count it as 1980. Therefore, 1980 > 1979 in my view; besides LC we also had Remain In Light, The River, the first Pretenders album, the first English Beat album., the first X album, PiL Second Edition, Entertainment!, Get Happy!!, Closer, Argybargy, The Specials first album, Peter Gabriel's third (& best) album, the very first Kurtis Blow single, Michael Jackson's best album, a pretty good Stevie Wonder album, the last good David Bowie album, John Lennon's comeback and, if it's your cup of tea, The Wall.

edit: oh and also The Feelies, "Redemption Song", and Empty Glass.

oh and Dirty Mind

/tangent

Some of these overlap 1979-1980

Actually 1979 (The Specials, The Wall and Pretenders were all very late in the year) through 1997 (Earthling.

Off the Wall was also 1979 if that's what we're calling Micheal's best album.

1. Are we reaching an age of oversaturation, where too much of a good thing, too many solid bands, making too many solid but not great albums, playing too many mega-festivals, is threatening to dull our appreciation of the new.

2. Are the technological market forces that have returned us to the "era of the single" killed the "album" as the central element in rock music, or are we just in a lull.

3. Was classic rock maybe more "classic" than younger listeners want to believe. Case in point, I go back and listen to one of my past music collection mixes each week, and the thing that's really striking me about so many of them from the Aughts is how poorly many of the songs, even some from just a few years ago, are holding up, how "disposable" many of them feel, while old sixties classics I've burned through multiple copies of - VU and Nico, Are You Experienced, Astral Weeks, Exile On Main Street, Rubber Soul, Who's Next, Something Else By The Kinks, London Calling - sound as vibrant today as when I first heard them.

4. Or is it we've entered an era where performance chops, technological production savvy, and a sense of history outweigh the one skill outlasts all the others - genuine songwriting skill - this has been my biggest gripe the last two years of Coachella - dozens of dozens of bands with great energy and already finely honed performance chops, mostly in the service of such average material - didn't feel this so much 08-11.

5. Is it time for music to start looking forward again? - As one LA Times critic put it so well, in the years from the mid-50s to the late 90s - rock and it's offspring had a constant forward momentum - there were retro offerings and back to basics movements to be sure - but primarily, the direction and innovation was always forward leaning - but that momentum stopped cold in the Aughts - with that decade's mantra instead becoming one of synthesis, the emphasis on finding new recombinatory possibilities in the styles of the past. Have we reached a point where it's time for our artists to start looking forward again, rather than to the past for inspiration...I don't know, like I said, I hate the new James Blake, and that's in some ways as forward looking a release as 2013 has produced.

6. Or are we just experiencing a cyclical lull - For me 2013 is shaping up as an all-time weak album year, rating right there with 73-74 and some of the early CD years of the mid-late 80s, that produced almost nothing of genuine note on the long playing spectrum? Are better days just around the corner, or has every nook and cranny possible in the rock/Hip-Hop spectrum been exploited, so today's young artists really have almost no place to go other than imitating their forebears unless they are willing to go majorly inaccessible...I've always felt that Radiohead was really just a latter incarnation of the Beatles, and incredibly dextrous band looking to constantly change and push boundaries, only when it came into existence, the boundaries were much farther out there.

The answer to all of this is I don't know...But I'd love to hear thoughts on these points from others on this board, especially older posters who aren't just now growing into their music loving years, but have been at it a good long while like I have.

Thanks for indulging me on my long winded rant.
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. these things should be both present already when a band gets hurled at the public. one cannot sacrifice one or the other to be great.
    5. i dont know, may be running out of "forward". we have enough formats for 99% of musicians to make good songs within their bounds. of course i promote "forward" but i think too many people are trying way too hard, because of 1., 2., and 3.
    6. while most here would disagree with you, and i dont share your listening habits, maybe? up to you, i suppose. i have always found this whole business to be intensely personal first, and very social second