Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Must Hear Overlooked Albums per Decade 70s-00s.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: 50 Must Hear Overlooked Albums per Decade 70s-00s.

Oh yeah, i remember mentioning the Damned the other week and you weren't that familiar. I'd also recommend Machine Gun Etiquette, Strawberries, and Phantasmagoria (as well as the great single "Eloise," which didn't appear on the album) if you'd like further listening.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Esquivel - Other Worlds, Other Sounds

I happened upon this recently, listened to it today and can't begin to express how absolutely incredible it is. It sounds like the score to every great old American film. I can't really think how else to describe it. One of the best albums I've ever heard.

It's from '58, and I realize that's going back a bit. I couldn't not post it in here though.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

What kind of a fever dream would you compare that album to?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You really seem to know your shit, SoulDischarge. I have been trying to recall this one-minor-underground-hit (maybe one album/one EP) band from the early 80s. All I remember is that it was a minimalist electronic sound with a female singer (in the vein of Book of Love). They could even have been from NYC. The song was called "Circumvent" or "Circumspect" and I've been trying to find a copy for two decades now. Any clue to what the fuck I'm talking about?
    I have no idea. For the hell of it, I searched those two titles in Discogs and this was the closest thing I got to your description:
    Not really minimalist electronic, I guess they're a Flying Nun act, so that's Bryan's wheelhouse. Good luck.

And yeah, thanks for the feedback, I'm not really concerned about any lack of response, it's just laziness and procrastination that's delaying other decades. I may or may not get around to my write ups.

Chris, I have that downloaded. I'm going through everything I downloaded from ? since I joined that isn't a current release to try and organize it because it's driving me crazy having a huge folder of jumbled music, even though it's bound to kill my ratio, and that's part of it. I have no idea what spurned me to download it, it was probably on some collage on there that I ravaged during freeleech. I'll give it a listen soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Look Blue Go Purple were kind of a twee/janglepop group in the late 80s/early 90s kiwi rock circuit. Their first album is pretty solid, but I really doubt that's the group Kunty is thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Deep Purple – Machine Head

Sure, everyone and their mother knows Smoke on the Water, but this album briefly put Deep Purple on the same plane as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath as lords of hard rock. Space Truckin and Highway Star are both massive slabs of rock that will just melt your mind. 70s hard rock at its best.

Lou Reed – Lou Reed

Lou Reed’s catalog is full of overlooked and underplayed albums. This one is pretty damn cool. His first release after breaking from the Velvets, it finds Lou interpreting songs he’d written for his former band with a new group of musicians and some gospel singers. Forgotten in the wake of both Transformer and the Velvets compilation VU, it’s still highly worth checking out, and is full of great songs played in a way you’ve not heard before.

Pink Floyd – Obscured by Clouds

Sandwiched between two widely praised classics (Meddle and Dark Side,) Obscured by Clouds is routinely thought of as lesser Floyd. Don’t believe that for a second. The more melodic and concise songwriting that made Dark Side such a hit is on full display here, without all the grandiosity. The last time Pink Floyd would make a collection of songs rather than a statement of an album, this one is totally worth rediscovering.

Black Sabbath – Vol. 4

The S/T debut is praised for birthing metal, Paranoid is viewed as their peak and Masters of Reality is the sludgy gem that metal heads love, but Vol. 4 may actually be the most entertaining Sabbath record. Wheels of Confusion starts it off with a speedier riff than anything on the previous record and more technical playing, and Supernaut basically kicks off the NWOBHM sound before Iron Maiden or Judas Priest were even formed. Sure, Changes is ridiculous, but every other song on here is a metal gem.

Genesis – Foxtrot

Genesis is almost completely ignored in the indie world, but the early work with Peter Gabriel is delightfully bizarre. Watcher of the Skies, the first song on here, has such an insistent guitar/organ duel throughout it that any fan of driving rock music will find something to enjoy. Sure, the final 20+ minute track may drag on too long for some people, but this is prog as forward-thinking rock music rather than technical wankery.

Leonard Cohen – Live Songs

Cohen had a couple of hits on his hands and was touring to adoring audiences. These recordings are from his first two tours, mostly throughout Europe. Unlike many live albums, the recording here is excellent and he doesn’t focus on the hits, instead bettering a number of album cuts that had been derided at the time of release. The true gem is the otherwise unreleased Please Don’t Pass Me By, a desolate tale about a blind homeless beggar that gets to some truly harrowing depths hidden behind a cheery melody.

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Pronounced…

Many people probably think of Skynyrd as redneck rock and the forebears for today’s meathead country artists, but those people have never listened to the band. Every song on this album is a classic, and the tracks are played with such energy and pure joy that it’s just a pleasure to listen to them. Gimme Three Steps may have presaged lots of new country music, but that doesn’t mean it’s not great. Sure, Tuesday’s Gone is the theme music from Happy Gilmore, but that should just make you smile. Yeah, you’ve yelled Free Bird at a show, but when’s the last time you sat down, listened, and realized why it was so requested that it’s become a joke?

Neil Young – Time Fades Away

There are a few Neil Young albums that could have wound up on here, but Time Fades Away is a bizarre and completely excellent entry into Neil’s long and winding catalog. Recorded live on the tour after Harvest, it’s never been released on CD and Young ignores most of these songs today. It’s a shame, because the raw, loose and electric sounds on here clearly point to the twin peaks of Tonight’s The Night and On The Beach. As a bonus, the songs are fantastic, with both The Bridge and The Last Dance sitting comfortably alongside Cortez the Killer and Down By the River as some of his best long-form jams.

Robert Fripp and Brian Eno – No Pussyfooting

The ambient Eno work hadn’t come out yet, so he was still mostly known as a glam dude when this two-track release was put out. Fripp developed a delay/flange/reverb/loop set up for his guitar, first used here, that he dubbed Frippertronics. It allowed him to send his playing into weird new places, and both he and Eno allow their tones and playing plenty of room to breathe here. They suggest the developments Eno would make with his ambient productions in the forthcoming years, but this was the first sign that a new, calm storm was brewing in the head of the androgynous keyboard player from Roxy Music.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Pink Floyd – Obscured by Clouds

Sandwiched between two widely praised classics (Meddle and Dark Side,) Obscured by Clouds is routinely thought of as lesser Floyd. Don’t believe that for a second. The more melodic and concise songwriting that made Dark Side such a hit is on full display here, without all the grandiosity. The last time Pink Floyd would make a collection of songs rather than a statement of an album, this one is totally worth rediscovering.
    Haha, I was racking my brain for some albums to contribute and this was the first that came to mind. Cheers.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You guys are the shit. I have googled this "song" for 20 years with no luck. Think I'm the only one who bought the album/EP. All I know is the song title has "Circum..." in it and the chorus goes something like "round and round and round ..." Female voice, very minimal, cold even, heavy synth and drum machine. Unless you know the song/band I don't think you'll ever find it. But a fifth of Jack to whoever finds this for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You really seem to know your shit, SoulDischarge. I have been trying to recall this one-minor-underground-hit (maybe one album/one EP) band from the early 80s. All I remember is that it was a minimalist electronic sound with a female singer (in the vein of Book of Love). They could even have been from NYC. The song was called "Circumvent" or "Circumspect" and I've been trying to find a copy for two decades now. Any clue to what the fuck I'm talking about?
    You got me stumped.

Highly doubt it, but hell, it's got pretty much everything you've described:

Mahavishnu Orchestra – The Inner Mounting Flame

Despite their reputation as prog wankers or jazz/rock crap, Mahavishnu’s first album is a really weird and wooly collection of intense, fast and technical rock music. John McLaughlin’s frantic guitar runs and the intense tempos were an early blueprint for thrash, speed and death metal, and the atonal, bizarre playing throughout the album points towards the louder aspects of post-punk and hardcore. Don’t put the fact that your creepy, pale jazz-nerd uncle loves this album against it: it rocks and is much weirder than you’d expect.
    This is amazing.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm shocked you'd never heard that. Totally seems up your alley.

I just cleared out some old stuff that had just been sitting around, taking up space in my alley to make room for it. So good.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Henry Cow – Unrest

Fred Frith has become an icon in the improvised music scene, but his work with Henry Cow is still largely forgotten. The band played prog with the same weird reach as The Soft Machine or Pink Faeries, but with more oddity. Their second album has both composed songs and studio improvisations, and there is quite a bit of “art” in this art rock. Weird, influential, rarely heard music.

Kiss – Kiss

You wanted the best, you got it! Kiss are kind of a joke today, and to be fair they’ve always been somewhat of a joke. However, their first few albums are also full of catchy hard-pop gems, because they needed more than just facepaint and a stage show to convince people to come see them. You might recognize Black Diamond as that song on The Replacements – Let it Be. Strutter and Firehouse are both bangers of the highest order. If this didn’t have the ridiculous clowns linked to it, it would probably be considered a lost gem of the 70s, and it’s still ripe for rediscovery.

The Meters – Rejuvenation

Funk took many forms in the 70s, from James Brown’s long form jams to Funkadelic’s cosmic slop to the Meters’ happy grooves. More mellow than the deep funk that is often remembered and played today, the Meters use sounds from their New Orleans heritage and tie them to an insistent groove. A kinder, gentler (but just as groovy) funk.

Can – Soon Over Babaluma

Can is (rightly) most-revered for their work with Damo Suzuki as a front man. When he left the band, the rest of the musicians chose to move on without replacing him. Michael Karoli, guitar master, mans the limited vocals on this album, and they take the more peaceful, tropical sounds of Future Days and marry them to the tightly wound song-structures from Ege Bamyasi. The result is the last truly great Can album, where the band still played like the crazy masters they were and crafted left turns that seem perfectly natural after a few listens.

Ohio Players – Skin Tight

Where the Ohio Players moved from James Brown-indebted grooves to a more glossy, jazzy and light sort of funk, these guys point the way towards disco and 80s rnb. The jams are smooth and funky, and totally catchy. The Ohio Players produced some excellent work, but this is one of the highlights.

The John Fahey Orchestra – Old Fashioned Love

Fahey is known for his 60s solo guitar works, which redefined what could be done with an acoustic guitar and not much else. His style absorbed classical melodies, folk fingerpicking, bluesy tunings and tones and old-timey/jazzy structures. However, throughout the 70s he reached out to other styles as well, dabbling in ragas, tape loops and, here, big band orchestration. The first half of the album is Fahey and a second guitarist chasing each other through jaunty rags. The second side finds the orchestra being subtly and masterfully incorporated into his sound, allowing for a classic big band ragtime sound that meshes well with the guitar. The final track, Dry Bones in the Valley, is one of the great solo Fahey guitar pieces, dancing around a strong melody to great result. Overlooked by Fahey purists, this is a total winner.

Willie Nelson – Red Headed Stranger

Willie has recorded lots of great music over the decades, but the Red Headed Stranger is a strong contender for his best work. Based around an old cowboy song, Willie creates a concept record about a fugitive who kills his wife and finds another love. The songs are subtle and at first can even sound underplayed, which is a definite difference from the overproduced Nashville sound of the day. This one gave Willie his nickname and is so full of classic songs.

Lou Reed – Metal Machine Music

Is this really overlooked? Maybe not so much as misunderstood. This album has become critical shorthand for unlistenable pretension, as it features four long songs of Reed’s guitar feeding back and creating a mass of noise. There is nothing but guitar noise throughout the hour here. Sure, it’s loud and can be seen as abrasive, but the ensuing decades have been kind to this one. In retrospect it sounds like the forebear to ambient noise artists who skulk through the underground now, and if you can find joy in noise, this can be a very soothing record.

Steve Miller Band – Fly Like an Eagle

He plays fairs and casinos nowadays and you remember him as the joker, the smoker, the midnight toker, but Steve Miller has been a consistently talented songwriter since the 60s San Francisco psychedelic scene. Fly Like an Eagle is the moment where his band reached the peak of their popularity and craft, with three huge hits (the title track, Rock’n’me and Take the Money and Run.) Every song is a classic of AOR and redolent of a moment when rock music was the biggest music in the US. Oh, and it’s good.

Parliament – The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

Honestly, any Parliament album from Chocolate City to Motor Booty Affair could go here, as people really only know them for their singles and, at most, Mothership Connection. This one, released between the aforementioned album and catalog high point Funkentelechy vs. Placebo Syndrome, focuses on shorter, more compact funk jams and songwriting. The Funkadelic comparisons are more prominent than on previous albums, and late album highlight I’ve Been Watching You (Move that Sexy Body) is a dark and sensual slow jam about peeping toms. Groovy, baby.

Electric Light Orchestra – A New World Record

A goofy looking, afroed dude writes Beatles-inspired space rock and then kills his career by making the soundtrack for Xanadu. ELO seem to be almost universally ignored in the indie world, which is odd considering they write such catchy and indelible pop songs. This one doesn’t have an overarching theme or concept to it, just two sides of great jams. Do Ya is still played frequently, as is Telephone Line, and Tightrope is one of the best songs Jeff Lynne ever wrote. Good time music.

The Stooges – Metallic K.O.

Most people have no idea this even exists. This live recording of the Stooges final show finds Iggy at his most nihilistic and antagonistic. The band plays at a biker bar and the audience constantly heckles and attacks the band. The first half of the album has them tearing through tracks from Raw Power, but the real gem is the second side, where the band plays two otherwise unreleased songs (Rich Bitch literally falls apart at the seams and Iggy has to coach the band back together) and the most vulgar and crazy version of Louie Louie ever recorded. Not the best Stooges release, for sure, but maybe the most representative.

I am not listening to "Fly Like An Eagle" voluntarily. Fuck you. Burn it all down. Leave no trace. (I will listen to ELO though.)

Fly Like an Eagle is worth listening to just for this:

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And not to nitpick, but Machine Head, Fly Like an Eagle, and New World Record are all of those bands' most popular records. I imagine a lot of people around here haven't heard them, but in the big scope of things they're not overlooked at all.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Meters – Rejuvenation

Funk took many forms in the 70s, from James Brown’s long form jams to Funkadelic’s cosmic slop to the Meters’ happy grooves. More mellow than the deep funk that is often remembered and played today, the Meters use sounds from their New Orleans heritage and tie them to an insistent groove. A kinder, gentler (but just as groovy) funk.

Ohio Players – Skin Tight

Where the Ohio Players moved from James Brown-indebted grooves to a more glossy, jazzy and light sort of funk, these guys point the way towards disco and 80s rnb. The jams are smooth and funky, and totally catchy. The Ohio Players produced some excellent work, but this is one of the highlights.

Damn. Both of these are on my funk/soul list. Actually, every funk record you've listed so far (Curtis, Black Gold, Rejuvenation & Skin Tight) are also on the list I'm slowly compiling.

And I'll go on record now in saying that the Ohio Players have the best sex-themed album covers. Skin Tight, Honey, Fire, Ecstasy. All amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Do it anyway.

Dead Boys – Young, Loud and Snotty

Patrick said everything I could say about this one, so I’m just going to second his assertion that this is one of the best and most representative early punk records, and that Sonic Reducer is one, if not THE, essential punk jams.

Suicide – Suicide

Was it the first new wave record? The kick off to no wave? The punk Kraftwerk? Who the hell knows, but the first album from Suicide is a massively confrontational and badass record. Martin Rev utilizes a primitive drum machine and a droning, staticky organ to lay down minimal organ punk for Alan Vega to play evil Elvis over. There are stories of their early shows where Vega would walk across tables, stomping glasses and kicking audience members. That confrontation is obvious in the music, especially Ghost Rider, a dark hell ride that opens the album perfectly. The most notorious track is without a doubt Frankie Teardrop, a 7 minute plus literal descent into hell, complete with Vega mimicking the death screams of Frankie’s family as he shoots them. Evil stuff.

La Dusseldorf – La Dusseldorf

NEU! 75 showed the band at the end of a split. Michael Rother joined members of Cluster to form Harmonia and pursued a solo career, while Klaus Dinger started La Dusseldorf, a krautpop band that took the more melodic and catchy aspects of NEU! and grafted them onto Kraftwerk’s electronics. There are more vocals and more rock than anything NEU! worked on, and it definitely shows that the break was needed at this point. This and the second La Dusseldorf album are both well worth hearing and are great examples of krautrock at its most pop.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    And not to nitpick, but Machine Head, Fly Like an Eagle, and New World Record are all of those bands' most popular records. I imagine a lot of people around here haven't heard them, but in the big scope of things they're not overlooked at all.
    That's what I stated in my first entry as my goal: to introduce the people who post here to things they may not have heard otherwise. It's why I'm, for the most part, avoiding stuff that is well-revered in the indie canon, even though those would have been more overlooked by the listening public at large.

That's what I stated in my first entry as my goal: to introduce the people who post here to things they may not have heard otherwise. It's why I'm, for the most part, avoiding stuff that is well-revered in the indie canon, even though those would have been more overlooked by the listening public at large.
    I think that's a good idea. Especially for the younger folk. I forgot you mentioned that originally.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Sun Ra - Lanquidity

Ra has tons of albums, so it’s hard to find entry into his catalog. This is most certainly not a representative release: he started as a post-bop musician and swung more free through the 60s, while this is a rock/jazz/funk fusion record that features guitars more prominently than almost any of his other releases. That said, this might be the easiest Sun Ra album for a new initiate to get into. The middle section bumps and grooves, and the first and last tracks are less lengthy and obtuse than much of his more well-known work.

The Only Ones – The Only Ones

Lumped in with the punk movement basically because they didn’t fit in anywhere else, the Only Ones just wrote catchy, genre-hopping tracks with energy to spare. Another Girl, Another Planet is a power pop gem with an unforgettable melody and the best song they ever recorded. They jump from the loud rock of The Immoral Story to the 50s sounding The Whole of the Law and everywhere else. Punk more in attitude than sound, it’s one of those overlooked gems of the original British movement.

The Saints – Eternally Yours

I’m not even writing one for this, because really, just start up Know Your Product, the opening track on the album, and you’ll be hooked. One of the best punk albums ever.

Pere Ubu – Dub Housing

One of the oddest, most obtuse records ever released, and somehow the songs stick with you. Weird covers of sea shanties, funky avant garde rants, a singer that would drive most people up the wall: it shouldn’t work, and yet the album coheres into a solid gem of strangeness. (Read Patrick’s review.)

X-Ray Spex – Germ Free Adolescents

A young black girl in braces screaming her head off over buzzsaw guitars and skronking saxophone. This is what punk is all about, and (again, as Patrick said) it’s one of the pinnacles of any punk collection. There’s no reason it should be as catchy as it is, but you won’t forget any of these songs, and the original release didn’t even include the iconic Oh Bondage Up Yours.

Public Image LTD. – First Issue

Who would have expected that Johnny Rotten would leave the Sex Pistols to join a more confrontational, explosive and unconventional act? PiL, on this first go around, takes noise, dub, dance music and pretty much everything else that isn’t rock and grafts it together into a weird little introduction to one of the more influential and bizarre bands. First single, Public Image, rants about how Lydon was perceived in the public with a guitar line that single-handedly created U2, and Fodderstompf is a long pisstake of a disco beat with noise over it. It was only issued in the US this year, so you can be forgiven for having missed out on it for so long.

Michael Rother - Sterntaler

As I said in the La Dusseldorf entry, Rother and Dinger went separate ways with their subsequent solo releases. Sterntaler, Rother’s second solo album, finds him joining up with Jaki Liebezeit of Can to craft an angelic and exultant soundscape. Building on his signature sound that he had developed with Harmonia and NEU!, Rother crafts an even more personal and idiosyncratic guitar sound that is a revelation on its own. Jaki provides a stellar backbone for these excursions and allows Rother to create one of his most memorable works.

I've been pretty lazy plus tons of stuff I would pick has already been much better spoken for than what I could do.I'll just add a little extra to what matter most to me and that's Captain Beefheart "Lick my Decals off, Baby!". Which is a second release off Frank Zappa's Straight Record label and fourth overall from Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band .This is a widely a favorite from Fans to Critics and as well Don von Vielt too.Although it flop in America and reached the billboard in the UK.It went out of print and was just somewhat recently repressed.Also here is a weird commerical for this release.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYZ...e_gdata_player.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I just saw this thread for the first time tonight. This is great.

I want to add to the lists, but my problem is I have no good idea of what's considered 'overlooked' these days. Patrick has the Dead Boys and the first Siouxsie album on his list.. that seems like basic canon to me, but I just arrived here in a time machine so what do I know?

I will create a write up, but not tonight. I'm going to assume that Gram Parsons is not overlooked but Joe Ely is. That the Psychedelic Furs' first two albums are overlooked but the rest are not. That the sheer genius that is the first B-52s album has been completely overshadowed by the MTV hype and later indian casino gigs. That you've never heard of The Judy's. I'm also going to assume that The Chills Submarine Bells is not considered overlooked, but I'm not sure about that. And that early Elton John is fair game. Ditto Every Picture Tells a Story.

Lucinda Williams pre-Car Wheels? Steve Earle? see.. I can't tell what's overlooked and what's not.
    Last edited by TomAz; 07-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I will likely be including Submarine Bells on my 90s list. Although I may forgo that in favor of some other Kiwi Pop gems, but it's just so hard to skip any album that starts with Heavenly Pop Hit.

I didn't include Gram Parsons for the simple fact that we've had some decent discussion about him on here, but my sole criterion was whether the particular album seemed like something a majority of the board is familiar with. Being that the board is made predominantly of people in their 20s who listen to mostly indie rock or dance music, that leaves a huge field open.

Punk is the hardest part for me to figure out. Some of that crosses over readily to the indie world, but lots of punk stuff gets ignored by indie fans.