Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: meow meow i am a cat

Default Re: meow meow i am a cat

Cats need a bit of time to explore their new surroundings. I'd recommend letting her come in and take her into a spare bedroom. Spend some time with her in there. Put her food in there and a litter box (NOT next to each other). Leave a tshirt of yours in there or something and leave her alone overnight to explore the room. It will help her adjust to your home's smells and understand that she is in a safe place.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

It sounds like the cat and the neighborhood are happy with the cat being an outside cat. I understand what Tom says about outside cats on Arizona and maybe you should do something if you regularly see coyotes and hawks around but otherwise any transition would be difficult for even a non-half feral cat and it might about your neighbors too.

Leave out food. Hang out outside and pet the cat. If you want to leave your door open and let the cat explore your place it may, but I would not close the door. And it may run/panic/scratch everything in its path if you do so or even if it sees you even go close to the door.

If you really want to help get it calm around you (and a cat carrier) and take it to the vet. It may have communicable (cat) diseases, it may not be spayed/neutered. The vet could also give some insight on how it's doing living outside.

Be friends with the cat if you like the cat but if you want your own inside cat there are certainly many available at shelters and from foster providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Also take and post pictures regardless.

The fact that she's willing to come in and hang out tells me that she's wanting to become part of the family. Maybe call the Humane Society and see if they have any ideas?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I missed a few details but that doesn't really change my opinion. Cats can be happy and healthy as outside cats. They may want to explore inside some places, look for food or a place to nap but that doesn't mean she wants to live in your home.

With patience and time (like a year or two) and a lot of cat food (and raw/rare meat) she is reasonable to think she may become 25% your cat. I'm not trying to discourage you from this - I would want to befriend Mazey too - just control your expectations.

I would see where it goes and see if you like having a cat and all that can entail. It may go well, cats can really warm up to you when there are fresh raw duck necks around. See how you react when your vinyl copy of In A Silent Way gets teeth marks, do you tell at the cat or put away your records better.

And if you want your own inside cat, pick another one.

That post would have gone a lot quicker but I had to keep stopping to tell our cats no and pick them up off the counter.

They should eventually learn that we don't want to see them on the counter (which will be useful since I work from home), though that won't stop them when we're out.

I've been doing the "no" and removing the cat from the counter thing for three years with these cats, to no avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah. Some cats will care enough to stay down enough that you don't catch them, but if they're explorers and interested in the kitchen counters/tables/etc. they will go there. Very few cats need human approval (see: dogs) enough to care what we think when we're not around.

Pigeon was nonathletic enough that she physically couldn't jump onto our counters. And Digby learned to be a cat from Pigeon so after some initially kitten craziness he had very little interest in up. We are no so lucky with Ritzy and Volta (as people that flow me on Facebook a/o Twitter have recently seen) but both are under a year so they may well mellow and/or lose interest. But until then we have to wash the counters before using them and not leave food out.

My brother's cat Kobe has an impressive vertical leap. He loves to jump from the floor to the top of the refrigerator and hang out in the cupboards above it.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

My Dad has recently "adopted" an outdoor neighborhood cat, "Ted," who comes in every afternoon for pets, treats, and a nap on the dining room table in the sun. Then he's off on his merry way.

You should open your house and provide food to it, but know that the cat's gonna do what the cat's gonna do. It's not some dumb, desperate for approval dog.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

What you should be saying is that cats have zero empathy for human beings and typically belong to people who share their ambivalence towards affection.

Mattie would jump onto my shirts and then climb, though.

Then the puguahua showed up and she'd find places to relax away from him even if my door was closed.

No empathy at all.

Ritzy will cuddle against my leg/hip/on my feet every afternoon. She doesn't care about me at all though.

Volta also doesn't care about people at all.

(I can't tell which photo sharing options are more obnoxious, on Flickr or on this board).

Years of "NO" did get our more defiant cat to stay off the counter/table/etc when we were around. When she started getting up on the counter right in front of us at age 16, we knew her mind was deteriorating and the end was near.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am perfectly fine with being a pal to Mazey without making it a more formalized relationship, and I'll try to keep expectations realistic with the rest of the family. I think this cat is pretty well acclimated to the outdoors, so the last thing I want to do is make "helping" her actually my own effort to abduct her from her life because I think she's cute. John, I have had the same thoughts, re: visiting a vet. I will check with the neighbors to see if she's up-to-date on shots and checkups, or if they even know.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

This is exactly what DMT is like. It is no surprise that many people report seeing the "cat people" when high on DMT.

Cats may have been spirit guides for people that used psychoactive substances as part of ancient rituals.

This video has somehow created a wormhole and mystic link to the spiritual cat people of DMT world. This is their message to us. Embrace the wisdom.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Related:

Mulder's a smart cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

here are the brave cats who served in WWI

http://io9.com/a-gallery-of-cats-who...r-i-1624713212
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.