Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: True Music Festival - Scottsdale, Arizona

Default Re: True Music Festival - Scottsdale, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post

If I knew what was on the lineup, this might be worth buying.
    At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if there were any more big adds. There are only 2 stages and I know they want to showcase a lot of local talent too. With it being only one day, there's not a whole lot of room left.

rest of the lineup:

GRiZ
    Kill Paris
    Hellogoodbye
    He's My Brother She's My Sister
    The Kopecky Family Band
    Black Carl
    Chevy Woods
    Berner
    Dry River Yacht Club
    Black Bottom Lighters
    The Black Moods
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Ugh. Pass.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Is this where I say "I told you so?"
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Yep. I officially don't want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

This will not change everything.

They act like AZ hasn't ever gotten any big artists to play here, or that we've never seen a festival. I'm sure it'll be pretty fun, not really worth the ticket price for me though. Though it's cool that Black Carl and Dry River Yacht Club are on the lineup as far as locals go, they always put on a good show

Congratulations on your new festival.

Set times, guys!

A couple of people informed me that The Flaming Lips were terrible. I hope the crowd they attracted for this festival brings in enough profit for a better lineup next year, but probably not.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Someone posted on the festival's facebook page that the Lips were the 'best show in az ever'.

I weep for the future.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The response on facebook looks pretty positive, but its probably a bunch of Bassnectar fans.

Festival of Mights

Author: Tara Alatorre
    PRINT Issue: December, 2013, Page 38

Photo by Sam Nalven

FOLLOWING REPEATED ATTEMPTS TO STAGE A WINTER MUSIC FESTIVAL IN THE VALLEY, AN UPSTART PROMOTER IS POISED TO PULL OFF A SONIC SOIREE AT SALT RIVER FIELDS.

Jarid Dietrich is something of a mystery man. The 26-year-old founder of True Music Festival (TMF), kicking off its inaugural event at Salt River Fields on December 14, won’t reveal much about his past, the particulars of putting together the festival or the names of his investors. Even Pollstar, the concert industry’s leading trade publication, referred to TMF as “mysterious” when it announced the event in July.

What isn’t a mystery is the mild winter weather in Phoenix, which makes it one of few places in the country suited for an outdoor, off-season festival. Yet most local promoters who’ve tried to pull off a late-season answer to Coachella here have failed; the most recent flop was Liquid Sol (see sidebar). That Dietrich confirmed a flurry of national acts – including alternative rockers The Flaming Lips, rapper Wiz Khalifa, DJ Bassnectar and indie acts Lord Huron and Capital Cities – speaks to his savviness. But he’s not about to give away the secrets to his success.

Dietrich does reveal he grew up in Chicago, and says his uncle was a music producer. He’s lived in Scottsdale for seven years, and claims he’s spent his entire career in music promotion, with True Music Festival as his first foray into large-scale fests. He says he started organizing TMF almost two years ago. Reports filed with the Arizona Corporation Commission show Dietrich is the principal of King Me Management, LLC, in Scottsdale, registered on March 25, 2013 – just a month after the doomed Liquid Sol festival was announced.

Dietrich believes music fans in the Valley and elsewhere are hungry for a multi-act music festival in the late fall or winter, when the industry typically hibernates. Given that Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the U.S., with a big college population and winter tourism season, Dietrich says an event like TMF is overdue: “We wanted to put Arizona on a pedestal, and put the market in the spotlight and really feature it because it deserves to be featured.”

Dietrich zeroed in on Salt River Fields’ 140-acre facility at Talking Stick Resort (on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community) after touring the stadium and seeing its proximity to freeways, nightlife, shopping and restaurants. His partnership with the facility is one festival detail he eagerly discloses. “Instead of going out to the middle of the desert and trying to set something up with no infrastructure, you deal with people who are used to running a Major League Baseball facility,” he says.

Dietrich adds that industry support for a winter festival in Arizona was strong from the outset. “When the artists start referring other acts to you, you kind of know you are on to something. You know you are doing something right,” he says. As for which acts referred which acts to Dietrich for TMF, he of course won’t say. Nor will he disclose the costs of putting on the festival – but operational expenses for large music fests can range from $500,000 daily (the touring Rock Star Energy Drink Mayhem festival) to $1.2 million over a weekend (Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Fla.).

TMF sold out of $60 pre-sale tickets in two weeks after announcing its lineup in August, sans corporate sponsors or traditional marketing. Dietrich remains coy on how this happened, but mentions 125 tickets were sold to a group from Canada. VIP packages, which reportedly include backstage access, start at $146. General admission costs $80.75. Aaron Studebaker, sales director at Salt River Fields, says they’re prepared for 17,000 people. “We have enough power at our facilities to host any concert in the world,” he says.

As the spring home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Salt River Fields is equipped for large crowds, and already possesses the permits and staff for an event like this. “All the dominoes are lining up for this to be a phenomenal day, and future, for hopefully one of the biggest music fests in the country,” Studebaker says.

“It’s hopefully going to change the vision people have when they think of Arizona,” Dietrich says. He plans to expand the festival into a multi-day event next year.

Just don’t expect the Valley’s new musical mystery man to offer up any details.

Musical Messiah?
    Concert promoter Jarid Dietrich (pictured) expects success at Salt River Fields. Can his headliner-heavy True Music Festival make up for these fizzled Valley music fests?

Liquid Sol: After failing to take place as originally planned at Moon Canyon Ranch near Florence in September, organizers announced in October the fest would take place November 2 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. However, no lineup had been announced and no tickets were for sale as this issue went to press.

Tempe Music Festival: Beginning in 2003, this annual, Circle K-sponsored spring festival at Tempe Beach Park featured national acts like Kid Rock and The B-52s. In 2010, promoters ?announced there would be no Tempe Music Festival that year – and there hasn’t been any year since.

Glendale Jazz & Blues Festival: Every April for nearly 30 years, this festival brought national jazz acts to the West Valley. The website for the festival currently reads, “Due to budget cuts the Glendale Jazz & Blues Festival has been canceled for 2013 and the foreseeable future.”

Messiah.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I know two people who went that said it was pretty good on facebook. Flaming Lips were fun etc. We'll see if they try again next year and who they get. I needed more than what they had to offer this year.

Thumbs up Re: True Music Festival - Scottsdale, Arizona

Well I actually went to the festival and it was much better put together than the first few years of McDowell mountain festival combined. Yes, I wish they would have put the flaming lips on earlier in the day but that is my only complaint. Weather was fantastic, the openers all played solid shows especially Capital Cities, GRiZ, Black Carl and he's my brother she's my sister. Hope they have enough capital to do 2 days next year. All around, everyone I talked to only had positive things to say about the event and that they should host another one next year. Maybe ya'll should start getting out of the house, instead of wasting soooooo much time complaining, speculating and complaining about the speculation..

The murder capital where we murder for capital

You just told a group of people who all not only go to shows locally but have traveled the world just to see music to get out of the house. Don't be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
    Well I actually went to the festival and it was much better put together than the first few years of McDowell mountain festival combined. Yes, I wish they would have put the flaming lips on earlier in the day but that is my only complaint. Weather was fantastic, the openers all played solid shows especially Capital Cities, GRiZ, Black Carl and he's my brother she's my sister. Hope they have enough capital to do 2 days next year. All around, everyone I talked to only had positive things to say about the event and that they should host another one next year. Maybe ya'll should start getting out of the house, instead of wasting soooooo much time complaining, speculating and complaining about the speculation..
    I travel out of state almost monthly for shows, not to mention all of the local shows I go to. I just spent a week in Europe at an English music festival.

But I really should get a world view.

Yea, I happen to be one of them.

Refusing to endure an activity because your years of life experience have taught you that said activity is going to be a pointless waste of time = you have no life and should get out of the house more.

I went, and had a pretty good time actually.

The entire event went really smoothly. Easy to get in, no lines for anything, plenty of porta potties that didn't get nasty, no sound/technical issues that I noticed or heard of, all sets were on time (aside from the flaming lips going over a bit). Being able to see every act was kind of nice. They had a little group of performers (jugglers acrobats etc.) that were walking around every now and then, doing flips and stuff, which was fun to watch in between sets. The festival grounds itself was a little small. If they ever had both stages going off at once, the sound bleed would have been insane, so it makes sense why they didn't overlap at all. But it worked, since it was only a 1-2 minute walk from stage to stage. And it didn't ever seem packed with people (it was actually pretty bare until around 5pm). It was crowded close to the main stage obviously, but it was easy to get up in front of the sound booth even during the busiest sets.

A decent meal was $10 just about everywhere (you could get fries for $6 I think), but there was a decent amount to choose from. Beers were $7, water was $4. And they had some other vendors selling clothes and stuff around the sides, along with a bunch of booths from what I assume were sponsors.

They had a couple heat lamps by one of the bars, but it would have been nice if they put some next to all the food tables for when it got cold at night.

Now I don't really know anything about funding a festival, but with the amount of sponsors, (a huge list of them on the back of the set times sheet) vendors and their prices, it seemed like $70 was a little much for a ticket. If you really liked every band on the lineup it would definitely be worth it, but I'm sure most people only had a 2 or 3 must sees on the lineup.

But still, a smooth run the entire night for an events first time is pretty great. Here's hoping they made enough money to make it bigger and better next year.

I gotta tell ya, I really doubt they made money, or broke even for that matter. All the groupon deals available that last week tells me their tickets weren't going very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Refusing to endure an activity because your years of life experience have taught you that said activity is going to be a pointless waste of time = you have no life and should get out of the house more.
    she works for the airlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I had a great time at the show. The best thing about it was it was not over sold. (or maybe they didnt sell a lot of tickets) You could get very close with room to dance at every set. I thought it was run very well and definitely would go again even at that price.

Tom is now on the no fly list.

Sorry for the old thread res...These pictures were supposed to go up a long time ago, but the site that I took them for never used them, so I just posted them myself today.

http://coryjbergquist.tumblr.com/pos...stival-2013-in

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    Sorry for the old thread res...These pictures were supposed to go up a long time ago, but the site that I took them for never used them, so I just posted them myself today.

http://coryjbergquist.tumblr.com/pos...stival-2013-in
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.