Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macklemore?!?!!?!

Default Re: Macklemore?!?!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Josephjuliann View Post
    This is exactly what all my white friends say and it makes me mad. There are plenty of rap artist that dont rap about that kind of stuff. When I try to show them another white rapper like Slug or Aesop Rock they dont like it because they can't dance to it. I hear the excuse "they dont rap about sex drugs or bitches so i like them" way too often. If you want a rapper like that go look for it and dont wait for a shitty one like Macklemore to come to you. I would take anyone from Rhymesayers over Macklemore any day.
    Angry much? Lol it was just an opinion, don't worry it won't hurt you.

I understand what you're saying and I understand there are many more out there that don't rap about stuff like that but most of them are not mainstream, and I don't listen to much rap other than what's mainstream. I like eminem though and he raps about sex drugs and big booty bitches as as well as other stuff so I guess I like both sides of the coin.

I was simply trying to say that I like macklemore because he's a rapper, but he's different from most of the mainstream stuff that's out right now. And his whole album is great front to back imo.

I personally am a big fan of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. The first song from them that I heard was Wings, then Same Love, then finally Thrift Shop. So I already had him pinned as a pretty good artist from the first two songs, then Thrift Shop was pretty entertaining. And I understand what you're saying about other rappers talking about things like that (Aesop Rock and all that) but just because there are other rappers like that doesn't mean we shouldn't like one that went mainstream. I would way rather see him than fucking 2 Chainz. Goddamn. 2 Chainz is catchy, and somewhat entertaining, but I would not call his music quality at all, it's far from it.

Mackelmore is shitty white people hipster rap. He is not good.

And to the guy that said his album blows Kendricks away..kill yourself.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Hate Thrift Shop. Like Macklemore tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    I really enjoy sharpening #2 pencils and shoving them into little children's ears while listening to this song-
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by brukftw View Post
    I personally am a big fan of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. The first song from them that I heard was Wings, then Same Love, then finally Thrift Shop. So I already had him pinned as a pretty good artist from the first two songs, then Thrift Shop was pretty entertaining. And I understand what you're saying about other rappers talking about things like that (Aesop Rock and all that) but just because there are other rappers like that doesn't mean we shouldn't like one that went mainstream. I would way rather see him than fucking 2 Chainz. Goddamn. 2 Chainz is catchy, and somewhat entertaining, but I would not call his music quality at all, it's far from it.
    quit trying to turn a hoe into a housewife

So, I listened to The Heist again. I still don't understand what a lot of you like about it. Very generic stuff. A few pretty good tracks, but that's it. Nothing groundbreaking or amazing.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I saw him at Sasquatch. It was entertaining but it wasn't anything special. Entertaining, but his voice didn't cut through that well. He hires people to sing all his hooks so if he doesnt bring all his special guests (which he did) it would be even worse. I give it 5.5/10 If Dre & Snoop was 9/10 and Jurassic 5 is 8.5/10 for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

whiney pain in butt

I mean.. how dare he make danceable, coherent mainstream rap music? I mean... how dare he try to be entertaining, have a lot of underrated guest vocalists and just be on par or slightly above other current pop acts.. I guess we should only let Psy or Taylor Swift or Bieber have the Top 10 all the time..

thanks bitchy 'old-school' hipsters on setting us all straight on Macklemore.. I was just about to not give a shit and enjoy his music for purely selfish reasons that are none of your fucking douchebag business.

/eyeroll

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    Wow, different strokes I guess. I thought it was pretty refreshing compared to all the shitty hip hop that comes out these days. Everybody was all up on the Kendrick Lamar album, but I think this one blows that away. I cant stand it when half the album is stupid skits like on maad city. He also has some really thoughtful lyrics in a few of his songs which I was not expecting either. And Ryan Lewis has made some incredible beats too, which is what really makes a great hip hop album if you ask me.

This is one of my favorite songs on there:

Love it when the brass band comes in! Helps if you close your eyes though and just listen, the video is kind of obnoxious, haha.

agree. the album is good & he's picking up a lot of popularity with "Same Love"…. There might be a Coachella future for this guy if he isn't just a one-hit radio wonder..
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    I saw him at Sasquatch. It was entertaining but it wasn't anything special. Entertaining, but his voice didn't cut through that well. He hires people to sing all his hooks so if he doesnt bring all his special guests (which he did) it would be even worse. I give it 5.5/10 If Dre & Snoop was 9/10 and Jurassic 5 is 8.5/10 for reference.
    What's a 10 for reference?
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

I really enjoy Macklemore. His show at Sasquatch was a blast, the man throws a great party. I would definitely like to see him at Coachella next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    What's a 10 for reference?
    Im guessing Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    I really enjoy sharpening #2 pencils and shoving them into little children's ears while listening to this song-
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    fixed

How did you know I was a sadist? I thought I did a good job hiding that...
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

White people. Ha!

Overplayed, but no doubt, he writes well.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    I mean.. how dare he make danceable, coherent mainstream rap music? I mean... how dare he try to be entertaining, have a lot of underrated guest vocalists and just be on par or slightly above other current pop acts.. I guess we should only let Psy or Taylor Swift or Bieber have the Top 10 all the time..

thanks bitchy 'old-school' hipsters on setting us all straight on Macklemore.. I was just about to not give a shit and enjoy his music for purely selfish reasons that are none of your fucking douchebag business.

/eyeroll
    Go fuck yourself.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    White people. Ha!
    This.

Mackelmore isn't even top 15 new rappers. Dude is nothing more than another new lame pop act trying to pass off as a rapper.

/eyeroll
    Oh, the hipster defense. Good one. Really creative and not lazy at all.

5 different posts comparing him to 'real' white rappers.. goes to show they care just about him being white as they do about him being popular.. Who gives a fuck about what you fucking think or how good Aesop or Atmosphere must be. I guess Macklemore should just go work at Wendy's because it's just pointless for him to be in music. Go die of aids Phunkevil. you piece of shit.
    Id actually peg him as a more poppy, less vulgar version of Childish Gambino

whiney pain in butt

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Go fuck yourself.
    Go hug your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    Oh, the hipster defense. Good one. Really creative and not lazy at all.
    He's fucking right though. I guarantee if this guy was an unknown instead of topping the charts right now, people on this board would have way more love for this album. But most people on here simple can't like anything that's popular (with a few exceptions). So laugh all you want at "the hipster defense", but sadly it's fuckin true and you know it.

And on a side note, what I really love about this album is the production. Macklmore is ok, and I like some of his lyrics more than most rappers, but you don't have to be a great rapper when you have beats like this to support you. Just like Dre, everybody agrees he's not the best rapper, but his albums are still the shit simply from his production. So I guess what I'm saying is Ryan Lewis is the real star IMO.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
    This.

Mackelmore isn't even top 15 new rappers. Dude is nothing more than another new lame pop act trying to pass off as a rapper.
    Hip hop for soccer moms. Who's worse? Macklemore or LMFAO?

BTW, you're a hipster if you don't like LMFAO.

He's fucking right though. I guarantee if this guy was an unknown instead of topping the charts right now, people on this board would have way more love for this album. But most people on here simple can't like anything that's popular (with a few exceptions). So laugh all you want at "the hipster defense", but sadly it's fuckin true and you know it.

And on a side note, what I really love about this album is the production. Macklmore is ok, and I like some of his lyrics more than most rappers, but you don't have to be a great rapper when you have beats like this to support you. Just like Dre, everybody agrees he's not the best rapper, but his albums are still the shit simply from his production. So I guess what I'm saying is Ryan Lewis is the real star IMO.
    you did not just compare Dre to Mackelmore.... Ill pray for you..

you did not just compare Dre to Mackelmore.... Ill pray for you..
    Learn to read you pretentious fuck. I'm not saying they are on the same level, just saying that good beats make up for average rapping.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

This.

Name 15 new rappers better than Macklemore.

How is his music not considered rap? If all you're basing that off is Thrift Shop, I can see why some people can make the argument that it's pop. But the rest of his album (and previous work) is definitely rap music. Just cause its a bit different from the typical idea of rap doesn't make it pop

Learn to read you pretentious fuck. I'm not saying they are on the same level, just saying that good beats make up for average rapping.
    No, I read it just right. Awful comparison. Dre at least makes his own beats and has the decency to have people like Jay-Z write lyrics for him and collab with good artists to make good songs.

Quote Originally Posted by brukftw View Post
    How is his music not considered rap? If all you're basing that off is Thrift Shop, I can see why some people can make the argument that it's pop. But the rest of his album (and previous work) is definitely rap music. Just cause its a bit different from the typical idea of rap doesn't make it pop
    its most definitely pop music...