Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Default Re: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Beardyman was great but lost momentum when he stopped doing his comedy schtick.
    Shovels and Rope
    The Three O'Clock
    Cloud Nothings

and the undisputed world champion of the early bird sets is.......

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

Default Re: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    Saw Beardyman 1st weekend and Dam-Funk 2nd. I liked Dam-Funks set more THIS time. As I said before, if you get a chance to see a real, nighttime Beardyman dance set then take it. In the Pure Filth Dome in 2011 he was amazing, but didn't really talk much. Just lots of looping of the crazy stuff he can do with his voice, using flutes and other accessories. Amazing.
    I saw some of Beardyman in 2011, but for some reason I liked his set this year much more. Maybe it's because he had a more conflict free set this year, or because The Outdoor a much better stage than the Dome. Regardless I was much more entertained this year than in '11
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Wombats, IO Echo and Kids These Days were my favorites of the early day adventures.

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Trash Talk, and Ghost B.C. were quite easily the best 3 first sets of the day I have ever seen at the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Josh you would have totally loved Skinny Lister.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Lurker

Reignwolf, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Vintage Trouble, Mona, The Shouting Matches

I really wish I got inside in time to see Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and The Wombats.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

TOKYO SKA and VINTAGE TROUBLE were so much damn fun.
    Then in no order: Wild Belle, White Arrows, Beardyman, Reignwolf

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I really wish I got inside in time to see Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra.
    Yeah they had way too early of a set time. Especially on Friday, when it usually takes the longest to get in to the fest
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I saw some of Beardyman in 2011, but for some reason I liked his set this year much more. Maybe it's because he had a more conflict free set this year, or because The Outdoor a much better stage than the Dome. Regardless I was much more entertained this year than in '11
    Really? I mean the dome was small, but it wasnt overcrowded because there were alot of conflicts. I feel like if you stood in the center of that stage the sound was phenomenal. Of course the outdoor is a better stage overall though.

I might be partial because this was part of the best Coachella flow ever for me: Cut Copy>Beardyman>Sasha>Nosaj Thing>Chemical Brothers. Perfect.

Little Green Cars
    Guards
    Lord Huron
    Shovels & Rope
    Savages

Wombats and IO Echo
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

Dam Funk and Action Bronson!

I Still Cant find an audio or video of Dam Funk's set anywhere!?!

Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    Really? I mean the dome was small, but it wasnt overcrowded because there were alot of conflicts. I feel like if you stood in the center of that stage the sound was phenomenal. Of course the outdoor is a better stage overall though.

I might be partial because this was part of the best Coachella flow ever for me: Cut Copy>Beardyman>Sasha>Nosaj Thing>Chemical Brothers. Perfect.
    I think a part of it was at that time in 2011 I was also trying to see Cut Copy, Magnetic Man and The Black Keys so I didn't really get to stay and enjoy it as much as his early, more conflict free set time this year.

The Outdoor for Beardyman is the perfect place

The sound for the dome was terrible unless you were standing inside it, as all the speakers were pointing inward. It attracted no crowd because it just wasn't enticing at all for people passing by.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Josh you would have totally loved Skinny Lister.
    Yeah, you were telling me that. It is too bad I missed them, it sounds like they were a blast. I should look into their music.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra was easily one of the best opening sets I've seen in 9 years at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DaM FunK for sure. He said shit was about to get gangster. Shit got gangster. GOT DAYUM
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Lord Huron
    Jake Bugg
    Biffy Clyro (3:00 - close enough)

hanni el khatib and jeff the brotherhood

biffy gets top billing if eligible.
    Last edited by VOLVOX17; 05-13-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Trash Talk, and Ghost B.C. were quite easily the best 3 first sets of the day I have ever seen at the festival.
    I have to echo these sentiments. Easily top three, with trash talk being one of the best sets I saw all weekend
    you are soooooooo good lookin

IO Echo and Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra easily. Savages were also great but I'm not counting them since they went basically at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOX17 View Post
    jeff the brotherhood
    I am a fan of this band but their WK1 set sucked. I left halfway through.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    Skinny Lister/Tokyo Orchestra was the best one/two opening punch of the fest.
    Skinny Lister - left jab
    Tokyo Ska... - right jab

Dam Funk - uppercut

main stage knocked me the fuck out early

Not sure if they'll ever be another quick combo like that again
    It was young Tyson-esque
    Papi Piratσn!

IO Echo, White Arrows, Wild Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra was easily one of the best opening sets I've seen in 9 years at Coachella.
    Tokyo Ska was indeed awesome.
    This year was awesome on the undercard acts - I like getting into the venue early since you can get close to the front since no one is there yet.
    Theophilus London - great entertainer, lot of fun on main stage
    The Wombats - couldn't believe how packed the Mojave set was for a 1220 set, impressive
    Kids These Days - awesome performance by them, turns out they just broke up which is a bummer
    Airborne Toxic Event - not sure if you even count them on this, but they put on a great show
    Hanni El Khatib - great garage rock
    Robert DeLong - great solo performer
    Deap Vally - fun way to start the day
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

Lurker

C2C & Action Bronson!

C2C
    Robert Delong
    Vintage Trouble

Honestly some of the best sets of the entire festival for me.

I forgot how much fun Vintage Trouble was. A million times more engaging than when they opened for The Who (almost a year ago now, damn.) Ghost BC - edit: Ghost, fuck the new name - was entertaining as well.
    Last edited by xuclarockerx; 01-07-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Ghost and Wile Belle were amazing. Such an awesome way to start Sunday
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015