Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: Yuma 2014

Default Re: Yuma 2014

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I really, really hope they don't cut back on set times - I thought that was one of the main points of the Yuma, to highlight long-form DJ sets. Maybe they'll put the locals in the Heineken Dome and/or the Do Lab.
    They are actually adding another tent, the Kalahari
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I don't know why people are saying this. There are more total, definite Yuma DJs on the poster this year than there were last year.

2013 Friday: Luciano, Seth Troxler, DJ Harvey, Four Tet, Pete Tong. That's 5.

2014 Friday:Hot Since '82, Nina Kraviz, Duke Dumont, Dixon, Solomun, Davide Squillace, DJ Falcon, Damian Lazarus. That's 8.

2013 Saturday: Richie Hawtin, Cassy, Julio Bashmore, The 2 Bears, Zane Lowe, Huoratron. That's 6.

2014 Saturday: Tiga, The Magician, Cajmere, Guy Gerber, Nicole Moudaber. That's 5.

2013 Sunday: Jamie Jones, Loco Dice, Maya Jane Coles, Joris Voorn, Jamie XX, Ladies Night. That's 6.

2014 Sunday: Laurent Garnier, Art Department, Maceo Plex, Bicep, Aeroplane, The Martinez Brothers, Scuba, Lee Burridge....John Beaver. That's 9.
    Thanks, as much fun as last year was, this year is going to be amazing.

Am I the only one who thinks the Yuma is kinda dumb? They have great music but if you go in there at like 3pm it doesn't even feel like your at Coachella you just feel like you're in a rave dungeon. I only went in their once last year for Jamie XX and never went back. It sucks that so many of the djs i want to see are going to be in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the Yuma is kinda dumb? They have great music but if you go in there at like 3pm it doesn't even feel like your at Coachella you just feel like you're in a rave dungeon. I only went in their once last year for Jamie XX and never went back. It sucks that so many of the djs i want to see are going to be in there.
    Rave dungeon? lol

Sounds HAWT
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

The Yuma is like the farthest away from any rave dungeon/techno type bunker I have EVER been in. That's a hilarious characterization of it.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Can anyone suggest some good, representative recent mixes/sets from any of the following?
    - Hot Since 82
    - DJ Falcon
    - The Magician
    - Cajmere
    - Laurent Garnier
    - Maceo Plex
    - Aeroplane

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and before you say it, I am already fully prepared to fuck off, die, fuck off and die, get fucked, go fuck myself, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Can anyone suggest some good, representative recent mixes/sets from any of the following?
    - Hot Since 82
    - DJ Falcon
    - The Magician
    - Cajmere
    - Laurent Garnier
    - Maceo Plex
    - Aeroplane

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and before you say it, I am already fully prepared to fuck off, die, fuck off and die, get fucked, go fuck myself, etc.
    Not sure how representative it is, but I quite liked this one for Hot Since 82, which is pretty recent: http://www.mixesdb.com/w/2013-12-31_...cademy,_London
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

The Yuma is like the farthest away from any rave dungeon/techno type bunker I have EVER been in. That's a hilarious characterization of it.
    To be fair I was coming up on Acid when I was in there so... I'll definitely be giving it another chance this year and hopefully i'm wrong.
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

To be fair I was coming up on Acid when I was in there so... I'll definitely be giving it another chance this year and hopefully i'm wrong.
    Enter the rave dungeon at night. I was there Weekend 2 for the Jamie XX set. It was lackluster and full of XX fanboys and fangirls, basically different from any of the other sets I saw that weekend. Jamie was playing an odd set and the crowd inside was just there to see their lord.

DJ Harvey, Maya Jane Coles, and Loco Dice were all at night and all of them had great sets. Loco Dice was superb and the "vibe" in the room was excellent.

So I think the issue was seeing a DJ of a lesser quality, combined with a ball-sucking fan base and bad acid.

Yeah 2013 was really stacked so I never really got a moment to catch any thing late at night in there. Really wanted to see Jamie Jones, and I should have. I think he conflicted with Wu-Tang? Didn't like Wu-tang that much.

For sure will be there Sunday for Bicep, Scuba, Flight Facilities if they play in there,

Quote Originally Posted by knowyourhouse View Post
    Enter the rave dungeon at night. I was there Weekend 2 for the Jamie XX set. It was lackluster and full of XX fanboys and fangirls, basically different from any of the other sets I saw that weekend. Jamie was playing an odd set and the crowd inside was just there to see their lord.
    That Jamie XX set was HORRIBLE. The set before was SOLID and then.... some horrible awkward bullshit that chased me right out the door.

All the Yuma needs is some place to buy water cause I would sweat my ass off, be out of water and then have to go back outside.

Yeah 2013 was really stacked so I never really got a moment to catch any thing late at night in there. Really wanted to see Jamie Jones, and I should have. I think he conflicted with Wu-Tang? Didn't like Wu-tang that much.

For sure will be there Sunday for Bicep, Scuba, Flight Facilities if they play in there,
    Really don't think Flight Facilities will play the Yuma, due to the live elements of their sets. Gobi or Early Mojave
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

They dress up as fucking fighter pilots. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Really don't think Flight Facilities will play the Yuma, due to the live elements of their sets. Gobi or Early Mojave
    By "live elements" do you mean "occasionally bring a singer along"? Because I've seen them a couple times and one time they had a singer with them, which was about as live as it got.

last year it was nice to get out of the heat (also last years crazy sand storm) but i sort of get what you are saying. I think they were trying to make it feel like a night club with longer sets opposed to another stage. 3 years ago when they had the pure filth stage it was hot and the stage production was really minimal, the yuma was a massive improvement over that. I wouldnt mind them doing it like the stages at BPM fest with little cannopys but the inside covered dance club vibe from last year was cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Since when were a sense of humor and age a bad thing for artists?
    I dont find him to have a good sense of humor, i find tiga to be awkward and weird. id say claude von stroke, skream, benga or troxler have good sense of humor. being old doesn't have to matter (RE carl cox, hawtin etc) but most of the time being an older veteran means you are likely past your prime. I have always found tigas and his music to be overrated but if you have a good mix or track from him i would be glad to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by knowyourhouse View Post
    I totally understand. This was just an attempt to make something for "offline" mode in Spotify. Although, I did attempt to create some sense of flow with the limited track listing, but I'm hearing it didn't work very well?

In any case, these DJs will play great sets. You mentioned Art Dept. I've listened to the AD @ Robot Heart 2013 set recently and I was thoroughly impressed.

Another monster set by Nina Kraviz:
    Kraviz set @ Electric Brixton (4/28/13)

Solomun had a great set at his last BPM gig. That's up on be-at.
    I applaud the effort but found myself skipping through it TBH. I am going to put an actual DJ mix together for my friends and may post it here if i think it is worthy. Well aware of that AD set, super stoked for them. Ill check that nina one.

They dress up as fucking fighter pilots. Ugh.
    hahaha I've heard something about that. I'll still check them out, but that does sound kind of awful.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

I've never heard of these guys but please don't tell me they also do some sort of remix of the Top Gun theme during their shows.

Oh, and Larry, this website is good for finding mixes/sets. Cajmere's Decibel set is up on here. You can find his set from Detroit on youtube well, beatport channel.

https://www.mixcloud.com/tag/cajmere/

the new magic tape from the magician is ace

https://soundcloud.com/themagician/magic-tape-39

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    - Hot Since 82
    - DJ Falcon
    - The Magician
    - Cajmere
    - Laurent Garnier
    - Maceo Plex
    - Aeroplane

relevant https://soundcloud.com/themagician/magic-tape-39

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    the new magic tape from the magician is ace

https://soundcloud.com/themagician/magic-tape-39
    Magical indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    so good you had to post it twice?

well now it's been posted/quoted 4 times

so my work here is done

fucker

Any updates for the yuma tent line up??

Lurker

Damn its big. Scaled the map and each of those L's has 75% of the width of the Gobi, and has 85% of the shades area of the Gobi. It can't still be closed up with air conditioning right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyjet12 View Post
    Damn its big. Scaled the map and each of those L's has 75% of the width of the Gobi, and has 85% of the shades area of the Gobi. It can't still be closed up with air conditioning right?

It can.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

no bus

Nice upgrade for the yuma this year. It was nice not having a huge ass line to wait in and accessible restrooms to use.