Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 195

Thread: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

  1. #151

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    yea, im sure when dre asked Eminem to perform one more song that it wasn't already rehearsed that way
    Last edited by YeOldeCraftsman; 12-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.

  2. #152
    Member orangejulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Yeah, I mean, they just haven't performed together in over a decade when they released Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (you know, that grammy winning Diamond-certified double album they put out?). That'll definitely be a snoozefest.
    I don't mean that Outkast isn't a good get for Outkast fans. I'm sure there is a legion of them out there. I grew up with their songs, but they never actually mattered to me. I just find hip hop / rap boring as hell live, generally. I've enjoyed watching Big Boi play a few times, but I would never say he was a highlight of any festival I've seen him at. I gave a list of Outkast singles a listen a few days back and they don't do anything for me anymore.

    Maybe I'm just older than the general audience, or have different taste than the majority of Coachella goers. Hell, I'm the same guy who has Tom Waits on top my "to see" list, and I thought Grinderman was the best act at Coachella this year.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

  3. #153

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Girls1Cup View Post
    Eminem will never play at coachella ever again. He came on stage for 1 song with dre and snoop, they literally had to beg him to stay to do another song. He looked like he wanted to kill himself on stage. Left as swiftly as he could. And his performance was complete shit.
    Please tell me you aren't so dumb to believe that was real. They did that "skit" where they ask eminem to stay for one more song both weekends.

  4. #154
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,446

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Girls1Cup View Post
    Eminem will never play at coachella ever again. He came on stage for 1 song with dre and snoop, they literally had to beg him to stay to do another song. He looked like he wanted to kill himself on stage. Left as swiftly as he could. And his performance was complete shit.
    I don't even...
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

  5. #155
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,054

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Girls1Cup View Post
    Eminem will never play at coachella ever again. He came on stage for 1 song with dre and snoop, they literally had to beg him to stay to do another song. He looked like he wanted to kill himself on stage. Left as swiftly as he could. And his performance was complete shit.
    Eminem was present for the Wednesday soundcheck on the polo grounds. Who spends 2 weeks away from home when they don't want to be onstage?

  6. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    fuck lot 4
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Who the fuck cares about eminem? He's not playing at coachella

  7. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    I don't mean that Outkast isn't a good get for Outkast fans. I'm sure there is a legion of them out there. I grew up with their songs, but they never actually mattered to me. I just find hip hop / rap boring as hell live, generally. I've enjoyed watching Big Boi play a few times, but I would never say he was a highlight of any festival I've seen him at. I gave a list of Outkast singles a listen a few days back and they don't do anything for me anymore.

    Maybe I'm just older than the general audience, or have different taste than the majority of Coachella goers. Hell, I'm the same guy who has Tom Waits on top my "to see" list, and I thought Grinderman was the best act at Coachella this year.
    My hesitation to embrace Outkast's reunion is that when they were active, I don't recall them being touring road warriors. You saw them show up for the obligatory visually pleasing awards show performance or Wango Tango short set. Correct me if I'm wrong, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below didn't have any sort of national or world tour attached to it. Like last year's Postal Service reunion, I find it difficult to care about a live reunion of a live show that never quite existed to begin with. You could argue Gorillaz presented a similar reaction, but at least they brought along a new album with them.

  8. #158
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,054

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    My hesitation to embrace Outkast's reunion is that when they were active, I don't recall them being touring road warriors. You saw them show up for the obligatory visually pleasing awards show performance or Wango Tango short set. Correct me if I'm wrong, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below didn't have any sort of national or world tour attached to it. Like last year's Postal Service reunion, I find it difficult to care about a live reunion of a live show that never quite existed to begin with. You could argue Gorillaz presented a similar reaction, but at least they brought along a new album with them.
    I saw Outkast blow New Order and Moby off the stage on AREA 1 about 12 years ago. 60 minutes and one of the final shows they've done to date. Pretty sure a bunch of the band has been with Big Boi since then.

  9. #159
    Member orangejulius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I saw Outkast blow New Order and Moby off the stage on AREA 1 about 12 years ago. 60 minutes and one of the final shows they've done to date. Pretty sure a bunch of the band has been with Big Boi since then.
    Thanks for the input BB. You're probably one of a few here on the board who has actually seen Outkast live, so it's definitely reassuring to hear the show was great.

    I've never seen anything with Andre, but both times I've seen Big Boi he has been consistently good. I usually find hip hop a bit boring live, but he is really quite talented, and surprised me both times. I'm sure seeing them play songs I grew up with will make for a great show.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

  10. #160

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    My hesitation to embrace Outkast's reunion is that when they were active, I don't recall them being touring road warriors. You saw them show up for the obligatory visually pleasing awards show performance or Wango Tango short set. Correct me if I'm wrong, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below didn't have any sort of national or world tour attached to it. Like last year's Postal Service reunion, I find it difficult to care about a live reunion of a live show that never quite existed to begin with. You could argue Gorillaz presented a similar reaction, but at least they brought along a new album with them.
    By the same logic, no one should get excited about seeing Paul McCartney or Daft Punk (even though it would be nice if people shut up about them).

    But really, this conclusion is based on your asinine assumption Outkast is no good live because "live rap."

  11. #161
    Lurker Bonedaddy500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    CenCal
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Cut Copy in the UK on the Coachella 2014 dates
    YOU FAILED
    Chuck Norris approved this message

  12. #162
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    By the same logic, no one should get excited about seeing Paul McCartney or Daft Punk (even though it would be nice if people shut up about them).

    But really, this conclusion is based on your asinine assumption Outkast is no good live because "live rap."
    I don't care if they show up, I just don't think they deserve to be headliners. It's like, "Oh hey (ya), we took the last decade off from existing and paid no attention to our fans as the artists known as Outkast, but can we have a headlining spot because we played our cards right in baiting the hype machine?", and it's like, "Nah man, put your name under whoever isn't going to disappear forever after 2014 ends or get out."

  13. #163
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    You are a moron.

  14. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You are a moron.
    Whatever, if they're on last on Sunday, I'll probably just leave before their set to beat human traffic.

    I've been a reader of this dumb forum for about a decade now, and 90% of you don't even have respectable taste in music anyway, and your best retorts is to call whoever you disagree with "stupid" or a "moron." It's the same shit and excitement over the same shit every year, and if at least your knowledge or interest in music wasn't living in a bubble, I might be slightly hurt by that put-down but, go ahead, continue calling me a moron because I know in 5 years you will still be here bitching and moaning about the same dumpy, overrated drug music and cash grab reunions that leave you feeling empty when they're over with.
    Last edited by kahaha; 12-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.

  15. #165
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,339

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    You've been reading a forum full of people who have music tastes you find deplorable for 10 years? What kind of asshole are you?

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  16. #166
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,339

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    I mean, it's obviously the biggest kind of asshole, considering kahaha's post consist mostly of bitching and moaning about lineups, and he's now escalated to bitching and moaning about people bitching and moaning about lineups.

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  17. #167
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,339

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Perhaps if kahaha contributed to the general discussion of music that happens on this board and shared with us his own, clearly superior cultivated taste, we'd all see the wisdom in his posts that decry Outkast as not deserving to be headliners because they weren't ever TOURING ROAD WARRIORS

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  18. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    I don't need to put up with this.

    Have a nice time in April.

  19. #169
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,495

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    drug music
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  20. #170
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,054

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    I don't care if they show up, I just don't think they deserve to be headliners. It's like, "Oh hey (ya), we took the last decade off from existing and paid no attention to our fans as the artists known as Outkast, but can we have a headlining spot because we played our cards right in baiting the hype machine?", and it's like, "Nah man, put your name under whoever isn't going to disappear forever after 2014 ends or get out."
    How many reunion dates do you actually think they would play?

    They would have made much more money if they toured from 2002-onwards than doing a dozen dates in 2014. This isn't the Pixies or Soundgarden where a couple band members had resorted to sleeping on friends couches before promoters threw enough money at them to get all members on board.

    I can't see Outkast doing anywhere near 100+ shows like The Police tour in 2007-2008.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 12-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.

  21. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    How many reunion dates do you actually think they would play?

    They would have made much more money if they toured from 2002-onwards than doing a dozen dates in 2014. This isn't the Pixies or Soundgarden where a couple band members had resorted to sleeping on friends couches before promoters threw enough money at them to get all members on board.

    I can't see Outkast doing anywhere near 100+ shows like The Police tour in 2007-2008.
    They'll probably do the Postal Service route: Most of the major festivals and dates at major cities, then go away after vaguely hinting at new music that won't ever happen. I'm not saying they're hard up for money by any means because they've both been doing well for themselves solo and in Gillette commercials, but it's being done out of pure business motives in picking their moment to up their booking value and after year after year of seeing that done similarly by At the Drive-In and the Postal Service, I'm just not as interested in watching a few bodies on stage dust off their hits and expect me to care when I can go watch some young blood playing the music they've made in the present on the opposite side of the polo field with more to prove and gain from the experience.

  22. #172

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    They'll probably do the Postal Service route: Most of the major festivals and dates at major cities, then go away after vaguely hinting at new music that won't ever happen. I'm not saying they're hard up for money by any means because they've both been doing well for themselves solo and in Gillette commercials, but it's being done out of pure business motives in picking their moment to up their booking value and after year after year of seeing that done similarly by At the Drive-In and the Postal Service, I'm just not as interested in watching a few bodies on stage dust off their hits and expect me to care when I can go watch some young blood playing the music they've made in the present on the opposite side of the polo field with more to prove and gain from the experience.
    Are you suggesting headliners should play for free? Outkast isn't just some two bit group who happened to manipulate the festival market into getting a headliner gig. They're one of (probably the) most popular hip-hop act of all time. That album with "Hey Ya" on it when platinum 11 times and is the only rap album ever to win a Grammy for AOTY. You've been reading a music message board for ten years and you really don't think Outkast deserves to headline?

  23. #173
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,054

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Are you suggesting headliners should play for free? Outkast isn't just some two bit group who happened to manipulate the festival market into getting a headliner gig. They're one of (probably the) most popular hip-hop act of all time. That album with "Hey Ya" on it when platinum 11 times and is the only rap album ever to win a Grammy for AOTY. You've been reading a music message board for ten years and you really don't think Outkast deserves to headline?
    He did make a valid point that there is currently no known CREATIVE reason for Outkast to tour in 2014.

  24. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Are you suggesting headliners should play for free? Outkast isn't just some two bit group who happened to manipulate the festival market into getting a headliner gig. They're one of (probably the) most popular hip-hop act of all time. That album with "Hey Ya" on it when platinum 11 times and is the only rap album ever to win a Grammy for AOTY. You've been reading a music message board for ten years and you really don't think Outkast deserves to headline?
    I am not suggesting headliners should play for free? My sentence about them not being hard up for money was in agreeing with Bumblebee that their reunion is not like the Pixies or Soundgarden where the band members are broke and did it for that reason. All I'm saying is that they're business partners primarily in this particular situation. They know what they have to gain from this. Don't tell me rich people don't love making more money! If they had a new album coming out, I wouldn't mind their return, but I personally hate reunion cash-grabbers. That's my feeling about live music and it won't change. I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end, they've been easy to forget.

    I'll entertain your argument by asking why we're measuring an artist's stature based on something so trivial as Grammy wins and album sales. By that logic, Herbie Hancock and the Backstreet Boys should be contenders for headlining status, since one took home that pointless prize and the other was wildly popular at one point in their career.
    Last edited by kahaha; 12-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.

  25. #175
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,716

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    The line up isn't even out yet why are you beening a little bitch when nothin' is for sure till the act is on stage.
    Translation

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

    Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  26. #176
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,905

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    You guys know that video that went viral of those two babies that were babbling to each other in some incoherent, made-up baby language?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  27. #177
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,524

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    I am not suggesting headliners should play for free? My sentence about them not being hard up for money was in agreeing with Bumblebee that their reunion is not like the Pixies or Soundgarden where the band members are broke and did it for that reason. All I'm saying is that they're business partners primarily in this particular situation. They know what they have to gain from this. Don't tell me rich people don't love making more money! If they had a new album coming out, I wouldn't mind their return, but I personally hate reunion cash-grabbers. That's my feeling about live music and it won't change. I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end, they've been easy to forget.

    I'll entertain your argument by asking why we're measuring an artist's stature based on something so trivial as Grammy wins and album sales. By that logic, Herbie Hancock and the Backstreet Boys should be contenders for headlining status, since one took home that pointless prize and the other was wildly popular at one point in their career.
    So with this logic Coachella should not have booked RATM, Prince, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, The Cure in 2009 and Dre and Snoop right?

  28. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    The line up isn't even out yet why are you beening a little bitch when nothin' is for sure till the act is on stage.
    Arguments as a form of curing boredom.

    And then next month comes, and it says "Drake" instead of "Outkast" on the lineup and everyone is like "WUT! DRAKE CAN NOT HEADLINE!" Then someone embeds the video to "Headlines" as a joke but people still be mad because no Bowie or Daft Punk or Outkast while Bonnaroo gets Justin Timberlake or some shit.

  29. #179

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    I am not suggesting headliners should play for free? My sentence about them not being hard up for money was in agreeing with Bumblebee that their reunion is not like the Pixies or Soundgarden where the band members are broke and did it for that reason. All I'm saying is that they're business partners primarily in this particular situation. They know what they have to gain from this. Don't tell me rich people don't love making more money! If they had a new album coming out, I wouldn't mind their return, but I personally hate reunion cash-grabbers. That's my feeling about live music and it won't change. I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end, they've been easy to forget.

    I'll entertain your argument by asking why we're measuring an artist's stature based on something so trivial as Grammy wins and album sales. By that logic, Herbie Hancock and the Backstreet Boys should be contenders for headlining status, since one took home that pointless prize and the other was wildly popular at one point in their career.
    But artists tour after making an album in order to sell more copies of that album. Yet somehow that sort of cash grab is more ideologically pure to you?

    Also, don't be dense and start with the "LOL Backstreet Boys" shit. You said that a group with massive album sales and crossover appeal (Speakerboxx got a 91 on Metacritic) didn't deserve to be headliners. I was pointing out that that's moronic.

  30. #180
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    So with this logic Coachella should not have booked RATM, Prince, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, The Cure in 2009 and Dre and Snoop right?
    Right on Rage.
    Wrong on Prince because he's always doing new stuff (it's just never at the peak of what he used to do)
    Wrong on Roger Waters (sold my pass for that day)
    Uh, Paul McCartney puts out new music all of the time, so I don't know why his name keeps getting brought up? He did a few new ones during his set. That whole pro-Obama part sticks out in my mind.
    Wrong on the Cure, because they were still touring in support of 4:13 Dream and played songs from that album during their set.

Similar Threads

  1. Possible 2014 headliner?
    By darklands in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM
  2. Predictions For Next Year's Shitty Headliner Who Shouldn't Be A Headliner
    By crazzz2007 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 815
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  3. Official Daft Punk late add / 2014 Headliner Thread
    By Relic in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM
  5. Places to get Sheet Music
    By unitedwestand in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •