Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

Default Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    I am not suggesting headliners should play for free? My sentence about them not being hard up for money was in agreeing with Bumblebee that their reunion is not like the Pixies or Soundgarden where the band members are broke and did it for that reason. All I'm saying is that they're business partners primarily in this particular situation. They know what they have to gain from this. Don't tell me rich people don't love making more money! If they had a new album coming out, I wouldn't mind their return, but I personally hate reunion cash-grabbers. That's my feeling about live music and it won't change. I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end, they've been easy to forget.

I'll entertain your argument by asking why we're measuring an artist's stature based on something so trivial as Grammy wins and album sales. By that logic, Herbie Hancock and the Backstreet Boys should be contenders for headlining status, since one took home that pointless prize and the other was wildly popular at one point in their career.
    The difference between Outkast and the two arbitrary musical acts you have chosen is that Outkast is a unique collaborative from the golden era of hip hop that reaches an array of audiences. Not one of their albums is comparable to another one; each is unique. It's their ability to tackle the mainsteam audience while gaining the appreciation of the indie crowd and maintaining credibility in the world of hip hop that puts them into a unique position in music. There isn't a single hip hop act that has the crossover appeal Outkast has.

You can call it a cash grab all you want but you can be sure that this isn't the first offer they have received to perform over the year. You know what's an even bigger "cash grab" for Outkast? Releasing a new album, which -- based on rumors that have been released -- doesn't appear to be happening.

"I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end"

So you don't like reunions because they excite fans for a brief period of time? You mean, like every other quality live show? Because you just described one of the primary reasons behind fans attending concerts: To be excited about music. Just because you don't like a specific artist doesn't mean they aren't headliner material. For example, I am not a fan of RHCP, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a headlining spot at a music festival.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    Right on Rage.
    Wrong on Prince because he's always doing new stuff (it's just never at the peak of what he used to do)
    Wrong on Roger Waters (sold my pass for that day)
    Uh, Paul McCartney puts out new music all of the time, so I don't know why his name keeps getting brought up? He did a few new ones during his set. That whole pro-Obama part sticks out in my mind.
    Wrong on the Cure, because they were still touring in support of 4:13 Dream and played songs from that album during their set.
    GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY HERE FOLKS!!!!
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    But artists tour after making an album in order to sell more copies of that album. Yet somehow that sort of cash grab is more ideologically pure to you?

Also, don't be dense and start with the "LOL Backstreet Boys" shit. You said that a group with massive album sales and crossover appeal (Speakerboxx got a 91 on Metacritic) didn't deserve to be headliners. I was pointing out that that's moronic.
    Asinine. Of course every musician is trying to make a living by using a tour in support of it as a vehicle. That's just how it works. But this isn't the same. Here's a good analogy:

Do you by chance watch WWE at all? WWE has a similar problem I can liken to Coachella reunion headliners. You have all of these workhorse wrestlers proving themselves all year to move up the ladder of success, living the life a pro-wrestler, becoming valuable assets all so they can be in a bigger spotlight match come Wrestlemania because Wrestlemania is the crown jewel of the year's PPVs. The WWE's business side cares a ton about buy rates of PPVs, and in recent years, they've allowed big names to return to the company temporary or signed to extremely limited contracts that don't force them to wrestle on TV for most or the rest of the year only because they generate an easy big buzz. So all of a sudden, you have a guy like the Rock or Brock Lesnar or the Undertaker who haven't been part of the storylines conveniently reemerging right before Wrestlemania and getting booked in the main events while the CM Punks and Daniel Bryans continue to be in the subheadlining matches even though they've worked harder over the last 365 days than the others and could feasibly be ready for the main event if given the opportunity.

Outkast are this year's Rock of festival season. I'm a fairness freak and not too keen on opportunists.
    Last edited by kahaha; 12-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Are Coachella headliner billings and professional wrestling main event bookings supposed to achieve some sort of meritocratic ideal?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I can't even read it for fear of dropping IQ points.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Opportunists. He isn't too keen on them.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Are Coachella headliner billings and professional wrestling main event bookings supposed to achieve some sort of meritocratic ideal?
    As humans, we fail each other daily by not doing so, but we are driven by money, rank and power, and therefore this ideal shall never be achievable. We are oppressors of the purist of hard working wills.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Are you aiming to take a last minute lead for 2013's Worst New Boardie?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Oh, please, I've already taken that honor before several times just under many different names.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    At this point he has my vote.

Thumbs up Re: 2014 Headliner Cheat Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post

Maybe I'm just older than the general audience, or have different taste than the majority of Coachella goers. Hell, I'm the same guy who has Tom Waits on top my "to see" list, and I thought Grinderman was the best act at Coachella this year.
    Coming from someone who had never heard of Nick Cave before, Grinderman and the Bad Seeds were some of the highlights of last year.

Oh God is Zafocaine back?
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Nah. kahaha is from the east coast. He's probably that dullard who was Queenie Cupcakes or something a while back.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Nah. kahaha is from the east coast. He's probably that dullard who was Queenie Cupcakes or something a while back.
    Ugh, I hate how you make me fall in love with your virtual self through your strong personality.

So I wouldn't say 93.5%, but this was relatively accurate.. I know it was updated but to have AF within the main box and Outkast/Muse just outside of it..

8/10. Would watch again.