Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
I am not suggesting headliners should play for free? My sentence about them not being hard up for money was in agreeing with Bumblebee that their reunion is not like the Pixies or Soundgarden where the band members are broke and did it for that reason. All I'm saying is that they're business partners primarily in this particular situation. They know what they have to gain from this. Don't tell me rich people don't love making more money! If they had a new album coming out, I wouldn't mind their return, but I personally hate reunion cash-grabbers. That's my feeling about live music and it won't change. I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end, they've been easy to forget.

I'll entertain your argument by asking why we're measuring an artist's stature based on something so trivial as Grammy wins and album sales. By that logic, Herbie Hancock and the Backstreet Boys should be contenders for headlining status, since one took home that pointless prize and the other was wildly popular at one point in their career.
The difference between Outkast and the two arbitrary musical acts you have chosen is that Outkast is a unique collaborative from the golden era of hip hop that reaches an array of audiences. Not one of their albums is comparable to another one; each is unique. It's their ability to tackle the mainsteam audience while gaining the appreciation of the indie crowd and maintaining credibility in the world of hip hop that puts them into a unique position in music. There isn't a single hip hop act that has the crossover appeal Outkast has.

You can call it a cash grab all you want but you can be sure that this isn't the first offer they have received to perform over the year. You know what's an even bigger "cash grab" for Outkast? Releasing a new album, which -- based on rumors that have been released -- doesn't appear to be happening.

"I've seen so many one-year reunion stands over the last decade that had no point behind them other than temporarily excite nostalgic fans, but at the end"

So you don't like reunions because they excite fans for a brief period of time? You mean, like every other quality live show? Because you just described one of the primary reasons behind fans attending concerts: To be excited about music. Just because you don't like a specific artist doesn't mean they aren't headliner material. For example, I am not a fan of RHCP, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a headlining spot at a music festival.