Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake Posters Thread 2014

Default Re: Fake Posters Thread 2014

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    arctic monkeys is a realistic headliner. in the sense that every coachella lineup has a band headlining that doesn't deserve to headline.
    The new formula.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

how do you get the coachella font?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Following up to that, they were playing what? 1400 person venues? Did any of those shows sell out?
    Thought I'd post this oddity:

Arctic Monkeys, La Vida Boheme
    Palacio de los Deportes
    Mexico City, Mexico
    March 28, 2012
    $738,026
    19,951 / 21,567 (93%)
    1 / 0
    $43.42, $22.10
    OCESA-CIE

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

That Arctic Monkeys set at Coachella was actually pretty full. Was it Paul McCartney full? Of course not. Were there at least ten times more people than there were for the Stone Roses? Shit yes. They should only headline if literally no headliners can make it, though with one really good release they'd be up to par. Have Hot Hot Heat open for them (lol)

A couple points.

Arctic Monkeys were not empty 2012, but they were not full either. There was a relatively sizable crowd, but it was not dense. Our group was on the far left in front of the soundboard, and halfway through we sprinted to the portapotties and were easily able to get back to our friends. A solid daytime crowd, nothing huge, nothing sparse.

That being said, it was freezing out and had been raining just minutes before their set started, and that would easily explain why not many people were by an outdoor stage, much less even in the venue at all. So I don't really think you can take crowd size for Weekend 1 into consideration. Anybody there Weekend 2?

But they absolutely, cannot, will not headline. I am a big Arctic Monkeys fan. I inexplicably love them against my better judgment. They have only been declining in popularity. They have two shows at The Fox in Oakland, which is pretty strong and I think would still warrant an appearance on the farther end of the second line. But headliner? Get out of here with that foolishness.

The Arctic Monkeys would actually have to tour in Arizona before they could be a headliner. Phoenix came here. Black Keys came. They don't have a big enough American following.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    A couple points.

Arctic Monkeys were not empty 2012, but they were not full either. There was a relatively sizable crowd, but it was not dense. Our group was on the far left in front of the soundboard, and halfway through we sprinted to the portapotties and were easily able to get back to our friends. A solid daytime crowd, nothing huge, nothing sparse.

That being said, it was freezing out and had been raining just minutes before their set started, and that would easily explain why not many people were by an outdoor stage, much less even in the venue at all. So I don't really think you can take crowd size for Weekend 1 into consideration. Anybody there Weekend 2?

But they absolutely, cannot, will not headline. I am a big Arctic Monkeys fan. I inexplicably love them against my better judgment. They have only been declining in popularity. They have two shows at The Fox in Oakland, which is pretty strong and I think would still warrant an appearance on the farther end of the second line. But headliner? Get out of here with that foolishness.
    Here on the forums we tend to make cookie cutter arguments as to who and why someone is or isn't considered a headliner. Last year is a prime example of outside the box thinking. I haven't seen such weak headliners at any festival regardless of status. That said, I haven't seen such a solid undercard filled with compelling acts all playing at the same time. I doubt coachella wanted it this way, considering the rumors of GV reaching out to the Rolling Stones, the Smiths etc. It just had to happen that way considering finances, band availability etc. Taking this into consideration, I would say that GV would love to have Timberlake NIN Depeche Mode or an Arcade Fire Depeche Mode U2 or Oasis NIN Eminem type of billing. Financially however, this could pose problems. Especially when EDM acts like Skrillex, Tiesto, and Deadmau5 will be in high demand. Having a headliner like Arctic Monkeys allows you to book expensive subheadliners/ EDM acts that bring in a different market and are good back up plans if something falls through. With all the esteemed reunion acts that are available, I wouldn't be surprised if we got one wtf? headliner, and in this poster, that would be the AM.

I have a hard time believing Arctic Monkeys would headline over Beck in this part of the world.

Neither would headline. MOVING ON.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Neither would headline. MOVING ON.
    As much as I'd really like to see Beck, I feel like neither should headline as well. Fuck it.

Beck would be awesome.

when bands like phoenix headline, major lazer ends up on the 5th line, johnny marr plays early in the day, ect. there is a benifit to choosing headliners that they know will be headliner material in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Beck would be awesome.
    Your alias is win. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    when bands like phoenix headline, major lazer ends up on the 5th line, johnny marr plays early in the day, ect. there is a benifit to choosing headliners that they know will be headliner material in a couple years.
    Johnny Marr kind of isn't shit in the states without Morrissey. I knew this before checking out his Smiths-fueled set. I knew this before watching the 7 Worlds Collide documentary. What people see in these "wankers" as individuals, I will never know. To invite known wankers Wilco to come play music with you, then call them wankers on film behind their backs as if it's some international discovery you're sharing with a select accented audience? Fuck Johnny Marr and all associated acts. His set at Coachella was pretty alright. Nothing more. Well deserving of a 4:00pm tent spot, if anything. Let's be realistic. There are at least a dozen musicians on this message board that would have been better suited for Johnny Marr's spot. Coachella- Making dreams come true for washed up musicians for over ten years. See Stone Roses.

if the black keys can headline the year after sub-headlining, and if acts like kings of leon and jack jonson can headline, and if the stone roses can headline, and if gv can book crap like rhcp again, and if Coachella sticks with the rap headliner formula, and if they obey the radius clause, and if daft punk is confirmed, then why not arctic monkeys??

Because No Doubt.

SHUT IT UP SHUT UP

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

*Raises the roof*

For the love of all that is dear to me, if Arctic Monkeys last played the afternoon, in broad daylight, what is going to change with this album that will catapult them to headliner status? When you bring in a band like, say, Phoenix for example, Phoenix had upward momentum. Arctic Monkeys have been stale in the states for some time. I love Arctic Monkeys. But they have not had a hit since they came out with IBYLGOTD. Kings of Leon had hits. Black Keys had hits. Jack Johnson had hits. Weak choices, to be sure, but there is no reason to assume Arctic Monkeys latest album will flood KROQ type stations with the multiple hits they need to headline, especially when their last several albums have not.

And while I thought Stone Roses was a weak choice for a headliner, you have to be kidding yourselves if you don't realize that the headliner choice was not based on them being "headliners overseas", but rather them being a legendary, iconic, genre-defining band overseas.

Did KOL really have more hits in the states than AM? Sex on Fire, and some song I can't remember. That's not much upward momentum to work with. They just got put on because they were pop-hot, like Muse was at the time. AM would headline because they actually have an amount of worthy records, not pop-hotness NOW.

Do some research man. You sound ridiculous. I'm not even a huge KOL fan, but go look at their sales alone. Not to mention that their last two albums were number four and two respectively on the US chart. No one here is arguing with you over the quality or depth of their songs as compared to AM. But do you realize how big KOL got in the States following their last two releases? Obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVelvetSmudge View Post
    Did KOL really have more hits in the states than AM? Sex on Fire, and some song I can't remember. That's not much upward momentum to work with. They just got put on because they were pop-hot, like Muse was at the time. AM would headline because they actually have an amount of worthy records, not pop-hotness NOW.
    Sex on Fire and Use Somebody were two of the biggest singles of their year, and everybody projected their new album to carry on that wave, which it admittedly didn't, but that was the gamble GV took when they booked them.

Arctic Monkeys have no recent hits in America. In fact, they have only ever had one on the radio here to any large degree, and that was in 2005, nearly nine years from Coachella 2014. They have no upward momentum. Nobody is expecting their new album to be huge in a way that their last several weren't. I am a huge Arctic Monkeys fan, but they are nowhere near headliner contention. There is literally nothing to suggest that they would be billed any higher than they were in 2012 if they played again.

This is basically science.

The formula. A science to some, and a myth to others.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacetoair24 View Post
    Do some research man. You sound ridiculous. I'm not even a huge KOL fan, but go look at their sales alone. Not to mention that their last two albums were number four and two respectively on the US chart. No one here is arguing with you over the quality or depth of their songs as compared to AM. But do you realize how big KOL got in the States following their last two releases? Obviously not.
    Kings of Leon are big? Where? What time period? They were deemed big at one point, but so were Milli Vanilli. GV took a gamble, and I expect that most of the people who hit Coachella every year missed the KOL set for anything else. KOL are now as big as AM. To say that AM couldn't get big with one good US release is probably the dumbest shit I've read on the internet all week. Not only that, but they're bigger than Stone Roses on a world-wide level are now, or ever will be again. If GV is willing to take a chance on some near-dead reunion nostalgia as a headliner, then AM are a shoe-in. You're starting to over-value this festival, it would appear. There are only so many acts that could be Headliners. I can pretty much guarantee you that KOL will NEVER get that chance again. Not at Coachello, anyway. It'd be like Wilco headlining, but even more senseless. Let's just say... They're no Red Hot Chili Peppers. Two cheeseballs hits vs. a half dozen or more hit albums. That's the difference, and I was sort of disappointed to see RHCP again even. Think before you verbally spew your half-arsed opinions of what's what.

old school

To say that AM couldn't get big with one good US release is probably the dumbest shit I've read on the internet all week. Not only that, but they're bigger than Stone Roses on a world-wide level are now, or ever will be again. If GV is willing to take a chance on some near-dead reunion nostalgia as a headliner, then AM are a shoe-in.
    Why are some confident the Arctic Monkeys will somehow break through from 1,500 seaters to arenas other 5th album. What's the secret weapon?

I'm amused that some still don't understand the reasons behind the Roses booking. Those 4 members had NEVER played a stateside show before. And i think a new Roses album is around the corner.

#teambumblebee
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Kings of Leon are big? Where? What time period? They were deemed big at one point, but so were Milli Vanilli. GV took a gamble, and I expect that most of the people who hit Coachella every year missed the KOL set for anything else. KOL are now as big as AM. To say that AM couldn't get big with one good US release is probably the dumbest shit I've read on the internet all week. Not only that, but they're bigger than Stone Roses on a world-wide level are now, or ever will be again. If GV is willing to take a chance on some near-dead reunion nostalgia as a headliner, then AM are a shoe-in. You're starting to over-value this festival, it would appear. There are only so many acts that could be Headliners. I can pretty much guarantee you that KOL will NEVER get that chance again. Not at Coachello, anyway. It'd be like Wilco headlining, but even more senseless. Let's just say... They're no Red Hot Chili Peppers. Two cheeseballs hits vs. a half dozen or more hit albums. That's the difference, and I was sort of disappointed to see RHCP again even. Think before you verbally spew your half-arsed opinions of what's what.
    Milli Vanilli was huge. Are any of your references remotely accurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Rather than puking a bunch of garbage on this page, you could have just used the usual "if so and so headlined then this person could headline too" arguement. And using Milli Vanilli? really? shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Milli Vanilli was huge. Are any of your references remotely accurate?
    Does that differ in any way from what I stated? What is your argument, hat?

Does that differ in any way from what I stated? What is your argument, hat?
    His argument is for you to go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    His argument is for you to go fuck yourself.
    Evidence, or he can, in fact, go fuck himself.