Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U2 2014?

Default Re: U2 2014?

I am not a chubby and annoying 45 year old woman, thus, I do not like the band U2 nor want them playing at Coachella..ever.

I fucking hate U2. Keep that shit away. If they do play, please for the love of God give me something good elsewhere (i know they will).

Seen them at rose bowl, and arrowhead pond and Angels stadium - but not for coachella - I will be on the mohave stage with whoever is playing in that time slot

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRunner View Post
    U2 2014 equals GhostTownChella

NO ONE WILL FUCKING SHOW UP
    LOL. U2 would move more tickets then any other previous headliner.

U2 would be a great headliner. i would love to hear the Joshua Tree songs in the area near by where they were spawned. If they were going to play, a longer slot ala Roger Waters might be called for.

"Dream beneath the desert sky..."

They are rumored to be starting an American arena tour in the spring of 2014
    Just sayin....

If their big stage show is a problem, then a nice stripped down show should be considered an option. Yes, i know the bells and whistles at a U2 show are amazing and all, but that's not the best thing about their show.

I totally agree and if they they end up doing an arena tour it will probably be a similar to The Vertigo tour setup and I think that would work well at Coachella.

All depends if they finish the fall album in time. The PopMart era convinced them that they'd never go out without full rehearsal time again.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If they bring back the ZooTV setup, I'll consider watching.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    I totally agree and if they they end up doing an arena tour it will probably be a similar to The Vertigo tour setup and I think that would work well at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    They are rumored to be starting an American arena tour in the spring of 2014
    Just sayin....
    Curious as to why you think they would start an Arena tour in the Spring when their 2011 US summer tour Sold Out stadiums? I get that the claw played a part in venue choice, but why would they downsize?
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

They really enjoyed the more "intimate" return to arena shows in 2001 and 2005. I wouldn't be surprised if they are burned out on stadium shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    an im amazed by radiohead. we are mortal enemies.
    And Ive always loved both. The Smiths are the band Ive always struggled to understand the love for. U2 in their Unforgetable Fire through Achtung Hey day were 10 times more interesting sonically than the Smiths have ever been and Ill take Bonos hammy earnestness over Morriseys cranky queeny vegan bitchiness any day of the week.

Yes To U2
    No to Smiths Reunion
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 05-10-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by ELECtROjan View Post
    Curious as to why you think they would start an Arena tour in the Spring when their 2011 US summer tour Sold Out stadiums? I get that the claw played a part in venue choice, but why would they downsize?
    They said in an interview that the last tour was so demanding physically, emotionally, logistically, etc. And it took them over a year to break even money wise. They just want to do something a little easier.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    They said in an interview that the last tour was so demanding physically, emotionally, logistically, etc. And it took them over a year to break even money wise. They just want to do something a little easier.
    Europe will likely be Stadiums and maybe some other continents.

They've never done arena only tours in Europe, Japan, Australia since the 1980's.

U2 headlining would be fucking epic. one of the few older bands that can still headline this fest. they would have been preferred to any of this year's headliners, that's a fucking fact.

Quote Originally Posted by b.bornhop View Post

Mercury Records has also stated a new U2 album will come in 2013. "Mercury Records, which is U2's label in the UK, has apparently announced that U2 will release its next album in 2013. The news was reported a few hours ago in a pair of tweets by the London-based Music Week."

Mediamass.net has reported "U2 are rumoured to be planning a worldwide tour at the end of 2014. When contacted, a representative had no information on a new album, or any of the rock band’s future plans. This isn’t the first time in recent memory reports have surfaced about U2 recording sessions. Fans will be anxiously awaiting..."

So they likely will have an album out this year, and if not, towards the early part of 2013. They're working with Dangermouse, so the album will likely be stunning.
    U2 won't headline 2014 for the following reasons
    1) Look at the Bold. Their tentative world tour won't start till the end of 2014. So why and how can they possibly play coachella in april 2014 when their proper tour doesn't start till the end of 2014? I hear some of you saying that their tour starts in april but can anyone show proof?
    2) Artists never come out with albums earlier than expected. So if anything, the album will be pushed back into 2014, leaving no time for them to headline coachella in 2014.
    3) Case and point is depeche mode. Even though their album was out in time to play coachella, they weren't ready to headline. Most people say that DM is a lock for next year, so I would think that U2, like DM would be more likely to play the following year.

If anything 2015 would be the year U2 will play. 2014 already has plenty reliable headliners available. Too much speculation for them to gamble on U2 just for them to get burned like they did with the stones

Timberlake
    NIN/ Iron Maiden
    Depeche Mode

Bon Iver
    U2
    Daft Punk
    Last edited by WhatLies; 05-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thizzin my brains out View Post
    U2 headlining would be fucking epic. one of the few older bands that can still headline this fest. they would have been preferred to any of this year's headliners, that's a fucking fact.
    QFT

If U2 headlines, I'm bringing a rocket launcher.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Europe will likely be Stadiums and maybe some other continents.
    what other continents do you think they'll play in Europe?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    U2 would be a great headliner. i would love to hear the Joshua Tree songs in the area near by where they were spawned.
    Yes, how pertinent. They should play just for that fact.

The Joshua Tree
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    I am not a chubby and annoying 45 year old woman, thus, I do not like the band U2 nor want them playing at Coachella..ever.
    But you do watch MacGyver, right?
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

You're going to have a hard time coming up with a legitimate band as uncool as U2, because Bono. But other than that and a few bad records, I don't get all this U2 hate. They created a sound that has been imitated into oblivion and have more than enough killer songs to hold up a headlining set. I'm sure PT would have them in a heartbeat if U2 wanted to play Coachella, though I don't know if they'd be willing to take a smaller paycheck.

Personally, I don't like U2 and have never been able to understand any of the hype regarding them. I can admit they have a couple decent songs I suppose. Especially seeing what a titfart The Edge is on It Might Get Loud, and how he admits he doesn't do a whole lot beside a whole cosmic fuckload of modeling effects, I can't respect him in the least. I sincerely hope U2 won't be "gracing" the polo fields with their presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Listen to Ron if you don't want to listen to me. Or will you call his experience into question as well? He's probably one of the most (if not THE most) respected members of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftmaggot View Post
    Personally, I don't like U2 and have never been able to understand any of the hype regarding them. I can admit they have a couple decent songs I suppose. Especially seeing what a titfart The Edge is on It Might Get Loud, and how he admits he doesn't do a whole lot beside a whole cosmic fuckload of modeling effects, I can't respect him in the least. I sincerely hope U2 won't be "gracing" the polo fields with their presence.
    I'm curious. What year were you born?

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    If U2 headlines, I'm bringing a rocket launcher.
    To what end?

I mean you could always aim it at the Sahara.

The U2 audience would be an over 30 crowd by and large.

Minimal douche-bro factor I would say.

Here's a recent article i read, looks like the "returning to arenas instead of stadiums" rumor is still going strong, although no source is noted:

An Italian U2 fan site reported on Wednesday (July 24th) that the band is gearing up to launch a new world tour that will feature up to three nights in every city the group plays, with a different concert set list for each night. Although there is no official source for the rumor, it is also speculated that the band will return to arenas this time around instead of the stadiums they played from 2009 to 2011 on the 360 Tour. U2 does have a new album coming out in the near future, but a title and release date have yet to be revealed.

Rolling Stone has come up with its own scenario for U2's three-night stands, formatting them like this:

Scenario 1 - Complete Album Shows
    Night One: War + the new album
    Night Two: The Joshua Tree + the new album
    Night Three: Achtung Baby + the new album

Scenario 2 - Decades Nights
    Night One: The 1980s + selections from the new album
    Night Two: The 1990s + selections from the new album
    Night Three: The 2000s + selections from the new album

Scenario 3 - Theme Nights
    Night One: Hits + selections from the new album
    Night Two: Rarities + selections from the new album
    Night Three: Band's choice

Rolling Stone lists the pros and cons for each format, calling the first one "nakedly nostalgic" while the second format would open the show to a "broader range of material." But the magazine likes the third format the best, saying, "Everybody wins, except the casual fans that find themselves at rarities night and have to endure "Your Blue Room" followed by "A Different Kind Of Blue" and "Pete The Chop."
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    To what end?

I mean you could always aim it at the Sahara.

The U2 audience would be an over 30 crowd by and large.

Minimal douche-bro factor I would say.
    I'll be aiming it at the stage. Bono's ego is more than enough to compensate for the lack of bro douches in the crowd.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by swiftmaggot View Post
    Especially seeing what a titfart The Edge is on It Might Get Loud, and how he admits he doesn't do a whole lot beside a whole cosmic fuckload of modeling effects, I can't respect him in the least.
    This is the dumbest. The idea that music that is simple to play cannot be good to listen to might make sense to a fourteen-year-old trying to come up with reasons that Katy Perry is uncool or whatever. But anyone who really thinks that the Edge is unworthy of any shred of respect just because his music doesn't require loads of talent to play is just trying to impress the Internet. Maybe you personally only respond to complicated music, but to insinuate that simplicity is a fault in pop music is to deny the very essence of a majority of pop music.