Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldchella Festival. Would you go?

Default Oldchella Festival. Would you go?

As we've noted that there's a possibility of a fall festival emerging in the future, and the dichotomy of the bands/crowds from this year's fest. Would it make sense to have a separate festival for the fans of the bands of Stone Roses, New Order, Nick Cave etc? Would the turnout have been larger for Blur/Roses if tickets had been sold after they were announced as headliners?

Every year the same bands come up in request threads:

Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, The The, etc..

Yet with the dwindling attendance for these sets, their slot in the lineup might not justify the cost in the future.

Perhaps the answer could be a Stagecoach size fall festival with a focus on these acts. There are still plenty of headliners that could fit into this branding (Cure, Depeche Mode, etc..)

Would you go?

Default Re: Oldchella Festival. Would you go?

Nope
    For all intensive porpoises presale finally sold out

not to Tears For Fears or The The, no.
    I like Simple Minds but not enough to drive all the way to Indio

Get some rock and roll in there and I might like it. Limit capacity to 25,000. Headliners Joan Jett D1, Elvis Costello D2. 21+ and you can take your beer everywhere. RV camping.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I would go.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'd go.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Rolwolf

Honestly, probably not. Since I moved away from SoCal 4 years ago the cost of attending Coachella every year has risen a lot. One of the biggest draws is the unique diversity of the line-up. I love that I can see OMD and New Order at the same festival as Earl Sweatshirt and James Blake. If Coachella started parsing itself out into smaller, more categorized festivals, it would lose the appeal. I’d just drive out to Lolla to see the young bands, and see the oldies in more intimate venues when they tour through town.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

they'd have to get a pretty huge headliner if they'd want that demographic to travel for something like this.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I'd probably go, but I'm only 90 minutes from the polo fields. I doubt I would travel if it was just a bunch of wash ups, but maybe with the right lineup. now if we're talking pipe dream stuff of Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo....
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Oldchella as you describe it would fail because the people who would most be in to the idea aren't going to drive to the desert for a mulitiday music festival without assigned seating.

These sets, by the way, are crucial to Coachella's identity as a music festival distinct from all of the other major American festivals. It's all the same menu for the most part, but each (good) festival brings a slightly different flavor to the table. Coachella's brand is in part invested with reunions and remembrances of the early days of punk, new wave, post punk, and '80s alternative and indie.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolwolf View Post
    Honestly, probably not. Since I moved away from SoCal 4 years ago the cost of attending Coachella every year has risen a lot. One of the biggest draws is the unique diversity of the line-up. I love that I can see OMD and New Order at the same festival as Earl Sweatshirt and James Blake. If Coachella started parsing itself out into smaller, more categorized festivals, it would lose the appeal. I’d just drive out to Lolla to see the young bands, and see the oldies in more intimate venues when they tour through town.
    I rely on festivals to see acts that I never get to see where I live. I never would have seen bands like New Order or OMD if not for Coachella; they don't come to Western Canada during tours.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

I'm not sure it is a good idea for the reasons other have mentioned, but I would still go.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Rolwolf

I hear you. I live in Minneapolis, where OMD just played a venue that fits like 500 people, and Nick Cave played 4 months ago at a venue that caps out at 1,600. Sure, I'd never get a chance to see something like How To Destroy Angels out here, but where would that sort of act fit in the proposed Oldchella / Newchella breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    they'd have to get a pretty huge headliner if they'd want that demographic to travel for something like this.
    yeah I think that's pretty good point. Not too many people my age are big enough music fans to devote 3 or 4 days to a festival with Joan Jett headlining. (Joan Jett is fucking awesome, however, so stfu). Now if you had Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen or someone like that, it might be different, but that would change the whole dynamic of what I would like.

What might work though is an Oldchella version of the Warped tour. take it on the road, play midsized outdoor venue, Dylan, Wilco, MMJ, Richard Thompson.. oh wait.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I have to wonder about how many people who actually cared about Blur/The Stone Roses/Nick Cave got shut out for tickets and didn't want to bother with stubhub. A lot of people don't, surprisingly, even when passes are discounted.

Anyway, I'd love to see some fest with Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Elton John as headliners, plus My Bloody Valentine, Pulp, Blur, some incarnation of Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, and some 80s/90s acts that nobody under the age of 30 cares about like Tears for Fears, Erasure, Devo, Pet Shop Boys, Cibo Matto, Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, Ride, Slowdive, Sparks, Lou Reed, Suicide, Joan Jett, etc. And definitely some newer acts, as well, just not the typical trendy synthpop bands and EDM acts. Would be all over that.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The type of "mini" Coachella fest that I would be most interested in is pretty much what they're already doing with FYF.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Anyway, I'd love to see some fest with Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Elton John as headliners, plus My Bloody Valentine, Pulp, Blur, some incarnation of Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, and some 80s/90s acts that nobody under the age of 30 cares about like Tears for Fears, Erasure, Devo, Pet Shop Boys, Cibo Matto, Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, Ride, Slowdive, Sparks, Lou Reed, Suicide, Joan Jett, etc. And definitely some newer acts, as well, just not the typical trendy synthpop bands and EDM acts. Would be all over that.
    This. This. This.

I have to wonder about how many people who actually cared about Blur/The Stone Roses/Nick Cave got shut out for tickets and didn't want to bother with stubhub. A lot of people don't, surprisingly, even when passes are discounted.
    I know a few people who definitely fit into this demographic.

EXACTLY. Talk about the worst conflictchella EVER.

Fuck ya I would ....Journey with Arnell please!
    Papi Piratón!

Here's another problem with "Oldchella": by making a pure nostalgia festival, I think you lose a certain sense of, I don't know, urgency. It's easy for the nostalgia acts to punch the clock, to be compartmentalized as some sort of empty cash-in. One of the cool things about seeing, say, New Order this year was seeing Hot Chip and Franz Ferdinand -- bands that absolutely worship at the New Order altar -- play before them. It makes New Order feel like a vital part of a continuing musical conversation, not just a band that we think of as being "influential" in some vague sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The type of "mini" Coachella fest that I would be most interested in is pretty much what they're already doing with FYF.
    why? cuz they had Refused last year? really there wasn't much else in the way of "older bands no one under 30 would give a shit about".

Here's another problem with "Oldchella": by making a pure nostalgia festival, I think you lose a certain sense of, I don't know, urgency. It's easy for the nostalgia acts to punch the clock, to be compartmentalized as some sort of empty cash-in. One of the cool things about seeing, say, New Order this year was seeing Hot Chip and Franz Ferdinand -- bands that absolutely worship at the New Order altar -- play before them. It makes New Order feel like a vital part of a continuing musical conversation, not just a band that we think of as being "influential" in some vague sense.
    If Hot Chip "worships at the New Order altar" then why do they suck so bad?

No, I just meant I would go to an-EDM free smaller-scale indie fest booked by Coachella's people.

You should go to FFF this fall Mitch.

That would be awesome. I need to do something besides college football in the fall.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

location is great too. very easy to get to.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I should clarify that while the older acts and reunions might be a staple of Oldchella, I think it'd be critical to include newer acts that would appeal to fans of those bands listed above.

Savages is a great example of a band from this year's fest that's new, and would definitely be well received by an Oldchella crowd.

A pure nostalgia fest would be boring and counterproductive. The state fair has that base covered.

That would be awesome. I need to do something besides college football in the fall.
    UT is actually at West Virginia that weekend. But Baylor is hosting Oklahoma in Waco (~100 miles north of Austin) on the Thursday before FFF.

I would be down for an Oldchella Weekend in Indio in the fall, but I guess it depends on how one defines "old". I'd be up for a fall "Oldchella" that would include the likes of:
    AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    Ted Nugent
    Status Quo
    Foghat
    The Godz
    Golden Earring
    Sammy Hagar
    James Gang w/Joe (of course)
    Judas Priest
    Max Webster
    Rush
    Ian Hunter and/or Mott
    Lou Reed
    Iron Maiden
    David Lindley & Jackson Browne
    Bonnie Raitt
    Bob Dylan
    Tom Petty
    .....and maybe throw in some 80s acts like:
    Adam Ant
    Tears For Fears
    Crispy Ambulance
    New Order
    The Adolscents
    Firehose
    Royal Crescent Mob
    Psychedelic Furs
    Monkees
    The Adicts
    Billy Bragg
    Ministry
    Pixies
    Social Distortion
    Fear
    Guadalcanal Diary
    Pylon
    B-52s
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Everyone in this thread should go get a copy of Pylon's Chomp if you don't already have it. You should listen to it. Then you should listen to it again. Then you should thank me.

Guadalcanal Diary were pretty damned awesome too. If Stone Roses can headline, so can they.

My attendance to this would depend on the amount of lasers that would be there.