Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To the hippos at the power station

Default Re: To the hippos at the power station

Apparently this is a thing now. I spent the night at Stay on Main and this was their front window display.

Rule #34
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Shit, what did I fuck up now?

Look it up teach. You'll get an eyefull.

re: Stay on Main... Was the person in the back real?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

This looks hilarious.

Some of you guys sound miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    (and no sense of humor)
    Not enough whiskey...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbang View Post
    re: Stay on Main... Was the person in the back real?
    No, they were all cardboard cutouts.

Wait. There was someone else that had a horse mask that fucked with the hippos? I wish we could have joined forces.

Friday night W2 after the music ended I walked up to the hippos and just stared at them in my horse mask. Finally one of them saw me through their masks and hurriedly called the other 3 over and they all freaked out. It was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Rule #34
    I finally looked it up. This is not my thing.

Chacun son goût.

Quote Originally Posted by eskamo951 View Post
    Serpent Mother is and always will be my favorite art piece at Coachella! I made a real connection with it...
    http://www.serpentmother.com/

Serpent Mother was the best! It was also nice and warm to sit under it at night.

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Chacun son goût.
    Now, you're throwing in different languages. I'm fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Now, you're throwing in different languages. I'm fucked.
    I see what you did there, even if it was an accident.

I am pretty clever, despite what the masses say.

I am back!

Quote Originally Posted by thirtynation View Post
    Wait. There was someone else that had a horse mask that fucked with the hippos? I wish we could have joined forces.

Friday night W2 after the music ended I walked up to the hippos and just stared at them in my horse mask. Finally one of them saw me through their masks and hurriedly called the other 3 over and they all freaked out. It was pretty funny.
    Haha, what the fuck? I went there Friday night too! Around 8 or 9pm?

Here are some pics from the encounter.

So fun. Wish we could've seen each other during the weekend. We could've fucked shit up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pillows and parties

I was to the left of you watching in mild amusement. Unless it was the other guy with the same mask.

Too. Fucking. Funny.

^Did we seriously do the same pose?! lmao
    pillows and parties

Coachella is so fucking weird.

I found the whole thing to be very surreal and a bit disturbing. My husband on the other hand was completely enthralled by the power station. I guess that is what "good" art should do?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I enjoy imagining the conversation the artist had in explaining his idea to the participants. Maybe something like this: "Well you see, you'll be in this glass box, see, and it's got all this equipment in there. And lots of old recording tape on the floor. And you'll be working on the equipment, banging things with tools and such. While wearing white prison jumpsuits. Oh, yeah, and, uh, hippo heads. It will be fantastic."
    There was a period of time in my life where a roommate of mine had a "fantastic" idea and was able to convince me to participate by using a similar sales pitch... Watching the hippos was like a distorted flashback to the part of that sordid past that ended with me wearing a slate blue jumpsuit...
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtynation View Post

Too. Fucking. Funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by bells View Post
    I am back!
    Haha, what the fuck? I went there Friday night too! Around 8 or 9pm?

Here are some pics from the encounter.

So fun. Wish we could've seen each other during the weekend. We could've fucked shit up.
    If you guys don't mind a Unicorn, I'm game! Where do I sign up for next year?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikopua3 View Post
    I found the whole thing to be very surreal and a bit disturbing. My husband on the other hand was completely enthralled by the power station. I guess that is what "good" art should do?
    That, or good drugs... LOL
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Did you really compare conceptual art to distributing meth?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Did you really compare conceptual art to distributing meth?
    No, but I might have been part of it's conception between the two art forms before it became trendy...

Black Acid Co-op by Justin Lowe and Jonah Freman, on view at Deitch Projects in New York. (Photo by Greg Kessler)" title="Black Acid Co-op by Justin Lowe and Jonah Freman, on view at Deitch Projects in New York. (Photo by Greg Kessler)" height="426" width="640">

Urban Methology

This week only, the perfect date night: meth lab and a movie

By Cynthia Daignault

After a few months in my parents’ basement, I took an apartment near the state university, where I discovered both crystal methamphetamine and conceptual art. Either one of these things is dangerous, but in combination they have the potential to destroy entire civilizations.

- David Sedaris (from Me Talk Pretty One Day)
    This month, the newest addition to the luxury boutiques and condominiums of SoHo is a meth lab. Tucked inconspicuously between Apple, Prada and Trump SoHo, the lab (or more accurately the depiction of a meth lab) is the central room of Black Acid Co-op, an immersive multi-room art installation that marks the return of counterculture to the shopping mall formerly known as SoHo. Black Acid Co-op is the third incarnation of Meth Lab in the Sun, a work by New York artists Jonah Freeman and Justin Lowe. Deitch Projects reconstructs the work inside its massive Wooster Street warehouse where viewers are free to wander unmonitored through rooms depicting disparate environments of clandestine subculture, as if characters through a tripped-out Kubrick or Lynch film. Black Acid Co-op is essential viewing this summer, and even if we have the recession to thank, Deitch should be lauded for suspending commercial activities this month to present such a significant work. Site-specific in the purest of senses, Black Acid Co-op is culturally significant not only to art but to the city and neighborhood as well, a walking tour through dioramas of SoHo’s grittier past: the Chinatown bazaar, the bohemian den, the warehouse rave and even the contemporary art gallery.
    Black Acid Co-op follows a long tradition of encompassing art happenings. Most recently, many New Yorkers will remember Mike Nelson’s Psychic Vacuum presented in 2007 by Creative Time, and indeed, the two works are closely related. Foremost, both share an aesthetic that falls somewhere between rotting ranch house and festering urban decay; and structurally both literalize the cinematic experience of moving between edits or jump cuts. However, despite some surface similarities, the two are remarkably different works. Nelson’s Psychic Vacuum was a presentation of non-specific archetypal space, a psychological experience of mood, emotion, memory and dream. Black Acid Co-op, meanwhile, is an aggregation of specific cultural referents, thus operating in the philosophical and analytic, more than the emotive or psychological. Meaning in simpler terms, Black Acid Co-op is about something specific. It is not about the abstract interiority of an individual’s mind; it is not timeless and spaceless like a dream or feeling; instead it is located in a specific time and context, about culture more than the individual, and as such, Black Acid Co-op explores specific subjects: Methamphetamine and the Metropolis.
    METH
    First things first: though it is maybe a taboo or distasteful topic (and this may be why most of its press has ignored or glossed over the subject all together) Black Acid Co-op is a piece about meth. In the first incarnation of the piece, Hello Meth Lab in the Sun, the work explored the production, use, logic, dysfunction and aesthetic of methamphetamine and its subcultures. In this current incarnation, Black Acid Co-op, meth has been dropped from the title, rooms added and rearranged, and its referents expanded to encompass the metropolis, yet the drug is no less potent in the work. Architecturally, the meth lab is still at the nexus of the environment. The lab is the central control room for the work, with its tubes and wires running throughout the installation, unifying the entire space. Further, the aesthetic of meth, the logic of the tweaker, is the conceptual unifying force of Black Acid Co-op.
    Illicit methamphetamine production began largely in San Diego, making its way east in a reverse Manifest Destiny. The drug only recently crossed the borders of the original 13 colonies, and accordingly in New York its characteristics are still wildly unknown outside of myth and media. As a longtime resident on the West Coast, I can say to anyone who has never lived in a town ravaged by meth that you know a tweaker den when you see one. Slang for behavior most closely compared to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, tweaking is a primary symptom of Amphetamine Psychosis. It is the act of presumed productivity; the building and un-building of machines; the scavenging and rummaging through endless heaps of treasures and trash; the collecting, organizing and archiving of files, papers and junk; a tinkering marked by an undeniable fascination with tubes, cables, wires, lights and cords; the exposing of innards; the rigging of surveillance equipment; the ensuing paranoia; and the clawing, ripping, biting, decaying, lightless, timeless nature of a nonstop-24-hour existence. These, the hallmarks of methamphetamine use, are the forms and structures that unite every room of Black Acid Co-op. Spines manically ripped off books, jars of junk preserved as precious collectables, paint and carpeting picked and peeled with the ferocity of nail-biting and face-scratching. Make no mistake, this is a tweaker den. Thus, Black Acid Co-op takes meth as its subject, exploring its cultural relevance, but more radical is that the work takes its forms from the chemical effects of methamphetamine on the user. As such, the piece can be viewed along a continuum of seminal and important works both about and derived from the drugs that are their subjects (i.e. psychedelic art relative to the hallucinatory effects of LSD). What is significant about this connection is that despite its prevalence (meth is now third only to marijuana and alcohol in many Midwestern states), unlike every other drug, meth has until very recently been largely unrepresented in popular culture. Black Acid Co-op marks in visual art what is just starting to happen in music, literature, film and television in recent works like Spun, Cookers, Methland, Tweak and Breaking Bad.
    The longtime absence of meth from artistic production is as fascinating as it is puzzling. Countless significant artworks have been made about every other prevalent drug, and each has had its decade. In the 50’s (and 90’s) there was the heroin chic of Burroughs, The Man with the Golden Arm, Charlie Parker, Trainspotting and Kurt Cobain; in the 60’s and 70’s, psychedelic art pervaded the entire global explosion of sex, drugs and rock’n’roll with Zap Comix, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, and my personal favorite Hypgnosis (please Google the best album cover of all time—Yes’ Going for the One); and in the 80’s, coke had its decade with New Jack City, Miami Vice, Scarface and White Lines. Yet, though meth has been around since before WWII it has remained almost completely invisible in both dominant and subcultural production. In a very unscientific count, from the webpage “the 300 most classic drug movies of all time” only five films involve meth use, and all of those were made after 2001. (No need to even mention how many weed movies made the list, culminating of course with the 2009 sleeper hit – Evil Bong 2).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...m_hp_ref=green

""There was a terrible, sulphurous smell, like rotten eggs, and a tremendous pressure against my chest," Paul Templer said, recalling the moment he realized he had been swallowed by a hippopotamus.

At the time, Templer was 27, a river guide taking groups of tourists down the Zambezi river near Victoria Falls, along the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe.

His near-death story appeared in The Guardian's "Experience" series on Friday and has since grabbed headlines around the world.

Templer, now living in Michigan, wrote in The Guardian that he knew the hippo -- his attempted murderer -- as a "grouchy old two-ton bull" that lurked in the stretch of river the tours traversed.

Hippos are a common sight above the falls, according to PBS. The massive mammals, which can weigh up to 8,000 pounds, can spend the majority of the daylight hours submerged to keep cool, reports National Geographic. Fast sprinters and strong swimmers, they can also hold their breath for several minutes, as Templer found out on that March day in 1996.

"I remember looking up through 10 feet of water at the green and yellow light playing on the surface, and wondering which of us could hold his breath the longest," he wrote in The Guardian. "Blood rose from my body in clouds, and a sense of resignation overwhelmed me. I've no idea how long we stayed under -- time passes very slowly when you're in a hippo's mouth."

The hippo's teeth savaged Templer's chest and left arm. But he told The Chicago Tribune in an earlier interview that he still counts himself very lucky.

"I went straight down his throat. It smelled like death," Templer said in the Tribune. And yet, when the hippo "bit into my lungs he missed my heart. He missed my liver and kidneys."

Although Templer carried a .357-caliber Magnum firearm, he told the Tribune he never got a chance to pull it. After repeated bites, Templer managed to get ashore, but his wounds included a bite so deep it revealed part of his lung.

"Out there in the wild, we were the intruders," Templer explains in a YouTube video titled "A Bad Day at the Office," which recounts the harrowing event.

In the immediate aftermath of the attack, his left arm crushed and stripped of flesh, Templer recalls a strange feeling of calm come over him.

"All the pain went away, and I knew that it was my moment of choice," he says in the video. "I could shut my eyes, I could drift off, I could call it a day, or I could fight my way through this and I could stick around. ... The pain was so intense I thought for sure I was going to die. And then when I didn't, there were moments that I wished that I would, just to escape that excruciating agony."

Hours of surgery later, Templer survived. He went on to a successful career as a motivational speaker, author and founder of a charitable foundation supporting disabled and terminally ill children in Michigan and southern Africa.

While Templer got away from his attacker, thousands of others have been less fortunate. According to Discovery, hippos are considered the deadliest animal in Africa.

Every year, unfortunate tourists and even beauty queens are reported mauled or killed by hippos. In 2011, a particularly tragic incident involved 40-year-old farmer who was killed in South Africa by a 5-year-old hippo he had rescued and tried to domesticate."
    09-10-11-12-13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

Wow!

just look at these mother fuckers swinging hammers and shit, you gonna try to fuck with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by fakepornotits View Post
    This is my favorite because Lana looks like a porn star that just finished blowing a dude who just ejaculated and is making spit bubbles of his jizz.