Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopscotch 2013 Festival-

Default Hopscotch 2013 Festival-

It looks like Lapalux will finally play some shows in US! Sleep, Merzbow, and Wolf Eyes?!

ps Someone upload the poster please

Raleigh, NC 9/5-9/7

HOPSCOTCH 2013 LINEUP
    Big Boi
    Spiritualized
    The Breeders play Last Splash
    Local Natives
    John Cale
    Sleep
    Earl Sweatshirt
    Low
    Kurt Vile and the Violators
    Future Islands
    Action Bronson
    Matthew Dear
    Oblivians
    The Rosebuds play Sade's Love Deluxe
    Califone
    ADULT.
    Merzbow
    Chatham County Line
    Mikal Cronin
    Pere Ubu
    Marnie Stern
    Pig Destroyer
    Ryan Hemsworth
    Pissed Jeans
    Matmos
    Grouper
    American Aquarium
    Waxahatchee
    XXYYXX
    Charlemagne Palestine
    Wolf Eyes
    Mount Moriah play Miracle Temple
    Mount Moriah and The Letting Go
    Angel Olsen
    Purling Hiss
    Holly Herndon
    WOLD
    Richard Youngs
    Torres
    Night Beds
    Houses
    Big Black Delta
    Jonathan Kane's February
    Gorguts
    Amor de Días
    Foot Village
    Doug Paisley
    Kopecky Family Band
    ASG
    Lapalux
    Riton
    Ken Vandermark & Tim Daisy Duo
    Lonnie Holley
    Nightlands
    Pelt
    Charalambides
    Evoken
    Inter Arma
    Ashrae Fax
    The Backsliders
    Ex Cops
    Helado Negro
    Fat Tony
    Sal Mineo
    Slavic Soul Party!
    SUUNS
    High Wolf
    Ex-Cult
    Endless Boogie
    San Fermin
    Magik Markers
    Lady Lamb The Beekeeper
    David Grubbs
    Swearin'
    Shannon Whitworth
    Pharmakon
    Dauwd
    Cy Dune
    Jeanne Jolly
    Majical Cloudz
    Golden Void
    Malcolm Holcombe
    Rose Windows
    Leech
    Daniel Bachman
    Deleted Scenes
    Overmountain Men
    Alpoko Don
    Whatever Brains
    Dan Friel
    UBT
    OXYxMORON
    Double Negative
    Spacin'
    Survival
    Expo '70
    Broken Prayer
    Cian Nugent
    Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba
    The Beets
    High Highs
    Gross Ghost
    The Lollipops
    The Kingsbury Manx
    Toddlers
    Protomartyr
    Loincloth
    Arborea
    Water Liars
    Libraness
    Zen Frisbee
    Cesar Comanche
    Coke Bust
    Speedy Ortiz
    Drug Yacht
    Ilyas Ahmed
    Mike Shiflet
    Alexander Turnquist
    Ahleuchatistas
    Villages
    The Everymen
    Sylvan Esso
    Katharine Whalen
    Jamaican Queens
    Last Year's Men
    Dub Addis
    Ryan Gustafson's The Dead Tongues
    Shirlette Ammons T4GB
    The Dreebs
    Plume Giant
    Airstrip
    Ironing Board Sam
    Nathan Bowles
    Schooner
    Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass-Kickin Team
    The Shilohs
    Solar Halos
    Beloved Binge
    Regina Hexaphone
    Bitter Resolve
    TONK
    Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
    Morning Brigade
    Prypyat
    High Aura'd
    Horse Lords
    Turf War
    The Human Eyes
    Old Quarter
    The South Carolina Broadcasters
    Maple Stave
    Melissa Swingle
    DJ Paypal
    Wichita Falls
    Boyzone
    Casual Curious
    Ama Divers
    Body Games
    Estrangers
    Noise Trauma
    Black Zinfandel
    Twilighter
    Waumiss
    Co.
    Midnight Plus One
    Spooky Woods
    Wool
    Eros & the Eschaton
    Late Bloomer
    Saints Apollo

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: Hopscotch 2013 Festival-

Merzbow not only playing a set, but improviser in residence too! Chris Corsano held that title last year and I saw him pretty much everywhere. Beyond stoked.

Really also looking forward to High Aura'd. They put out one of my favorite ambient albums last year.

Now that Grouper's on the list I guess I need to give her another try, but in the past didn't really dig her stuff.

Does anyone have any recs for artists + albums to start with? I have a LOT of lineup research to do this year.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Merzbow not only playing a set, but improviser in residence too! Chris Corsano held that title last year and I saw him pretty much everywhere. Beyond stoked.

Really also looking forward to High Aura'd. They put out one of my favorite ambient albums last year.

Now that Grouper's on the list I guess I need to give her another try, but in the past didn't really dig her stuff.

Does anyone have any recs for artists + albums to start with? I have a LOT of lineup research to do this year.
    I live about 2 and a half hours from there and have wanted to go the last two years but had other stuff going on (a wedding and then FYF). It sounds like you've been before, can you tell me what it's like and if VIP is worth it?

There are a ton of bands worth seeing and about 130 that I've never heard of lol
    Last edited by kneuller; 04-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Yeah, I went last year.

This thing happens across three nights (Thursday, Friday, and Sat) and there are City Plaza shows and then club shows. The City Plaza shows start at around 5 or 6 I think and IIRC are on Friday and Saturday only. The club shows start around 8 and go to midnight. What does this mean? You can basically catch two city plaza shows plus four club shows a night, so four shows on Thurs, six on Fri, six on Sat for a total of 16. (Alternatively you could catch the late city plaza shows and skip a couple club shows, still the same number) There will be conflicts too, a lot of them. Why?

Because this thing happens in the plaza plus fifteen other venues. At any given time either someone is playing or setting up in each of those venues.

However, here's the kicker: last year they had like four or five free day parties each day Thurs through Sat and one free day party Sunday. These are TOTALLY worth taking off work for. For one, they're free, and for another some of them really kicked ass. I think I saw another 15 acts at day parties, and if you're into experimental/avant garde at all, the Three Lobed Records party will be great. Only problem is they don't get announced until very shortly before the fest so you don;'t have much time to do research.

I'm telling you all this to whittle down your expectations a bit, but it is by far my favorite festival. Last year I would go to sets and there would be maybe 15 people watching. Afterward, the artist who just performed would sit down next to me, I'd tell him great job, he'd thank me, and we'd watch the next set together. It's a totally intimate experience in the club shows - some of the venues are just bars and there's a tiny "stage", and the city plaza shows are a blast. I go to this fest because it has a lot of stuff that doesn't tour that I love along the likes of noise, ambient, and more experimental electronic, but last year I also saw great stuff like The Mountain Goats and Built to Spill.

VIP: Probably not worth it. Hopscotch didn't sell out last year, and apparently the only set the entire weekend that filled to capacity (and where a VIP band would be worth it) was Dan Deacon. However, since I'm coming all the way from LA, I bought one just in case. I'll probably realize that was a waste of extra dough though.

Hope this helped, let me know if you end up going!
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Thanks for the info! I've visited Raleigh a few times and know the downtown fairly well. It's not a very big town, so I assume that just about every venue is walking distance? Raleigh has a huge up-and-coming craft beer scene as well, which is a major plus. Does VIP give any other benefits besides guaranteed entry? I will probably pass on that but since it's only $55 more I was looking more into it.

The day parties sound like fun and the price I would pay to see Spiritualized, Local Natives, Sleep, and Future Islands would practically pay for the regular ticket. Seeing Big Boi tomorrow night with Kendrick Lamar, so that frees up a possible conflict. What are the set times usually like? Regular tour length or abbreviated festival length?

I don't know your music taste, but one super low level band that caught my eye was Turf War. I researched them before Gov Ball last year and caught their set and really enjoyed them. Very fun live. A little bit on the punk rock side and kind of reminds me of Deer Tick without the additional southern folk influence.

As you do more research, post any good finds that you wish to share.

danggggggg i want to go to this and Moog so bad. Jealous of my friends in NC

Quote Originally Posted by kneuller View Post
    Thanks for the info! I've visited Raleigh a few times and know the downtown fairly well. It's not a very big town, so I assume that just about every venue is walking distance? Raleigh has a huge up-and-coming craft beer scene as well, which is a major plus. Does VIP give any other benefits besides guaranteed entry? I will probably pass on that but since it's only $55 more I was looking more into it.

The day parties sound like fun and the price I would pay to see Spiritualized, Local Natives, Sleep, and Future Islands would practically pay for the regular ticket. Seeing Big Boi tomorrow night with Kendrick Lamar, so that frees up a possible conflict. What are the set times usually like? Regular tour length or abbreviated festival length?

I don't know your music taste, but one super low level band that caught my eye was Turf War. I researched them before Gov Ball last year and caught their set and really enjoyed them. Very fun live. A little bit on the punk rock side and kind of reminds me of Deer Tick without the additional southern folk influence.

As you do more research, post any good finds that you wish to share.
    I'll post a scan of my booklet from last year when I can (probably on Sunday since I just moved out and don't have a scanner or printer right now), but it varies widely depending on the act. I think a lot of sets were given like 45 mins, but the more experimental artists tend to play very short sets - 15 mins, 30 mins tops. Hip hop, metal, and indie bands tended to take the full set time. Some bands got longer sets, too, like Yo La Tengo and Deerhoof last year each had 90 minute sets I believe. Sunn O))) played for two hours. So it really depends. And I think the City Plaza shows were about 50 mins long. So yeah, for Spiritualized you're looking at a festival length set.

I don't think VIP gives any additional benefits besides guaranteed entry.

Finally, yes, absolutely everything is in walking distance. From the farthest two venues apart I think it took me 15 mins going at a brisk pace. But most everything is just a few blocks away. It's all packed in tight, you really are playing hopscotch

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    If you end up coughing up the dough to come to Hopscotch, let me know, and we can share hotel costs. I already have one booked but I doubt it'd be hard to change to a room with two beds.

Who would you be interested in seeing?

Actually, I found the set times online. This should give you a good idea. Note it doesn't specify end times, but you can typically count on there being 15-20 minutes of downtime between acts so that they can remove and set up gear.

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

There's a ton of people I want to see on the lineup but I don't think I can swing it this year. School starts like the week before this so I can't really up and fly across the country, unfortunately.

There's a ton of people I want to see on the lineup but I don't think I can swing it this year. School starts like the week before this so I can't really up and fly across the country, unfortunately.
    Bummer. Also, I was asking because I was looking for ideas of artists to start researching first. Throw some names out and help me out

As for Grouper, definitely check out the Alien Observer stuff and her stuff with Mirroring. Soooooooooo good.

Pere UBU!!! ASG, Richard Youngs, DAUWD!

obv Merzbow... and John Fucking Cale. Crazy lineup

I had great fun in 2011. I'd say VIP isn't essential, but the price difference is minimal. Only show I didn't get in was Lower Dens, and that was because I couldn't be arsed queueing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Matthew Dear will kill it, try not to miss him. i love everything he's ever done.

there's a ton on this lineup (like the whole second half) that i haven't heard of though. Should be tons of gems

Looking at those set times from last year makes me remember how much I absolutely loved this festival. God... I want to see Bill Orcutt again.

I'm jealous you get to live in San Diego. Spent three days there after Coachella this year and never wanted to come home.

One last note. Weather can be a bitch. Last year there were massive amounts of rain on one of the days and the City Plaza shows got pushed back like two hours (they still happened though) and walking from the venues was a bit of a pain.

Did make for a truly awesome free jazz set during a day party though. Everyone sitting on the floor around the band with thunder and rain outside.

If it happens that Sleep, the Breeders and Pissed Jeans are all seeable on one day, I'm there. Of course, I'm hoping to do Fun Fun Fun Fest again this year and all of those bands seem like FFFFest possibilities to me.

Discoveries:

Grouper - wonderful ambient, start with AIA: Alien Observer and AIA: Dream Loss. Really nicely complimented with eerie/melancholy vocals
    Expo 70 - got the latest album. It really feels like a drug trip. The first track is really nice, the rest is dark and disconcerting. I liked it a lot.
    Mikal Cronin - Also got the latest (2013) album. Really nice indie pop. Good use of noisy elements at times, very anthemic, some acoustic guitar. Great drinking music.

That's all for now. I'll be back.

The daily schedule, with breakdown by venue and time, will be out on the 26th. Along with single day tickets and City Plaza show tickets going on sale then. Pretty cool that it comes out so early for a fest that happens in September.

Hoooollllllllly. I didn't look at this until now. That is amazing. But it seems like it would be the absolute worst conflict situation out of any festival
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I really wanna go to this, but will probably have to roll solo if I do
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Hoooollllllllly. I didn't look at this until now. That is amazing. But it seems like it would be the absolute worst conflict situation out of any festival
    Right, there's always stuff going on 7 venues at any given time. I've had some killer conflicts in the past. The worst was Colin Stetson, Oren Ambarchi, and Laurel Halo all playing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I really wanna go to this, but will probably have to roll solo if I do
    I don't think it's too late for me to change my hotel reservation from one bed to two, so if you go and want to split costs, and are generally a normal cool person we could share a room. I'm staying at the Sheraton, which is more expensive than some other choices in the area, but is literally in the middle of the action.

If by generally a normal cool person you mean a drunken mess then yes I would be delighted to split the costs if I go
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Cool. Keep me updated.

I was going to say that Dave was a perfect gentleman at ATP NJ, but then I remembered that was during his dry period.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I have really been enjoying Daniel Bachman lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=y9wm1iWU_4U

And Nathan Bowles: https://soundcloud.com/soft-abuse/na...es-ship-in-the

So, the schedule is out!

Looks pretty good to me, though the Expo 70/Grouper/Merzbow conflict is tough.

http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/schedule/

Anyone else from the boards going to this?

"Hopscotch Music Festival is celebrating its 5th Anniversary this September, 4-6. Featuring more than 160 bands over 3 days in downtown Raleigh, Hopscotch is increasingly recognized for adventurous lineups, incredible performances, and a fan-friendly atmosphere. From a large outdoor main stage in Raleigh City Plaza to intimate club shows, the festival offers music in almost every genre imaginable--rock, hip-hop, metal, folk, drone, electronic, etc.--and its schedule highlights this diversity each year."

Tickets for Hopscotch 2014 will go on sale Saturday, March 1.

http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/tickets/

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Any thoughts or ideas about who could be playing this year? Besides Outkast, off course.