Thread: criminal records and the usa immigration

Default criminal records and the usa immigration

a quick question for you's, my mate and i are flying in from the uk and i have a public order convicion from 6 years ago and she has a drink driving/dui in american terms(i'm sure the drink driving will be fine) but not sure about mine, i'm hearing alot of different things, some folks say that it will be fine and others say that i won't get in the US, what do you's think??
    constructive replies please
    and yes i have tryed to speak to the us embassy but they are like na you'll have to come down to london and have an interview, which is 500 miles from where i live by the way!
    Last edited by fatboy192; 04-14-2007 at 12:33 PM.

vinylmartyr

Default Re: criminal records and the usa immigration

You were arrested in the US? Did you not attend court? There are plenty of drunks in America. If your case is resolved and you have no outstanding US warrants I don't see a problem.

na i was arrested in the uk never been the the us
    no warrants or anything outstanding anywhere

vinylmartyr

If you have an outstanding warrant in the US you might have problems. Especially if the warrent is in the state you arrive in.

i'd say there's a chance that you'll get popped when you get back to the uk.
    I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by fasttrack View Post
    i'd say there's a chance that you'll get popped when you get back to the uk.
    popped??not sure what you mean by that? as long as i get into the usa i don't realy care
    Last edited by fatboy192; 04-14-2007 at 01:40 PM.

I don't think people have understood what you're asking. You may want to schedule an interview as the embassy suggested, as it sounds like there is a possibility you could be denied entrance without a visa:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...nvictions.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...add_crime.html

It sounds really ridiculous to me, as I know people who fly into the US without visas who have quite a few convictions.... dunno if they just get lucky, have a lazy immigration official or what.

If you run into drama trying to enter the US, just tell 'em you repented your sins at the local God Shop (you even kissed the Priest on his pee-pee in confessional)...

you'll be sweet.
    Music Is Crap.

Depends on what the conviction is for, if it's for violent crime it may be flagged when you go through immigration. I've heard stories about passengers being denied boarding in Sydney for criminal convictions (but than again the passenger was probably stupid and went 'hey do you think it'll be ok if...'
    Your safest bet is to book an appointment in London, think of it this way...
    500 miles for an appointment or 5000 miles when you get denied entry in cally and half to fly home!

Of course if you wanna chance it you can always just pretend like it never happened. I don't think the intergovernmental agencies are that chummy chummy.
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"
    Full story can be found here. AP

i was in court just there second time for a fair bit of weed and i got probation act twice no sentence no record feeeeuuuuwwww this doesnt help you at all but i know the feeling you have sucks bru.

Oh shit!...

I've got a similar problem (See "Am I a criminal?")
    However mine is much less serious.
    Iwent on Yahoo Answers and people there were talking about being denied for things that happened forty years ago!
    They also said that immigration don't care what youve spent or planned and will happily put you on the next plane back home.

Unfortinatelly I've also heard it can take six weeks plus (here in Oz) to get an interview with the embassy officials who can give you a visa (which you will need if you have a criminal record). That's if they'll even do that. They really frown on drug convictions.

I read that if you have one DUI you are eligable for a waiver and will be fine.
    If you have more than one (so I'd imagine a nother criminal offence would be as bad) you need a visa!

Good luck, get cracking!

Please let me know how you go.

hey fat man could obiosly stra y at hmy house if ned 2 higde asomewheresoooooooooo just only until coahelal though then have ot levae hehe

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

i love you cloud9.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

usa,usa,usa