Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpershoot 2013?

Default Bumpershoot 2013?

We're planning on being in Seattle during Bumpershoot 2013, curious if its worthwhile or are the clusterfucked google search photos on point? $99 bucks seems like a steal but from what I've read on the website, it doesn't guarantee admittance to some areas due to occupancy.

This will be my first time in Seattle, so touring the city and camping in the San Juan Islands will be fun; but music would make it that much better, especially after having opted out of this years Coachella.

Also, is there an electronic music following in Seattle? preferably house music? and not that it matters but will I be the only Latino at Bumpershoot if we decide to go? lol

old school

Default Re: Bumpershoot 2013?

It's "bumbershoot"

Lineup coming in the next couple weeks.

Tegan & Sara/Fun already booked a Vancouver show that weekend so expect them to appear.

Most of what I've wanted to see has been fine getting in. Some of the smaller theater comedy/panel shows needed lining up an hour early. Some of the bigger events get roped off, but if you wait a bit you can get in when someone leaves. Last year they turned away HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS in the arena for skrillex, but 10 minutes into the show I just walked right in since lots of curiousity seekers bolted quickly.

Terrible festival. Way too much crammed into a small space for it to run reasonably well. You'll end up wasting you entire day away waiting in line to even have a small chance of getting into the main stage area. That said, it's too close for me not to go at least one day, so I'm sure I'll be back again this year, but I'm sure as shit staying away from the main stage. No matter who the hell is playing in there.

I've gone for the past four years and it's always been well worth the price. I've never once been denied access to any music act I wanted to see. Though it is possible for the main stage to fill up, most of the time that doesn't happen, and if you get there are little early you're pretty much guaranteed to get in. The only thing you have to watch out for is the floor filling up. All of the other stages don't have a maximum capacity since they're outside and no one's going to sit there and monitor how many people are walking up to them.

Comedy and Words and Ideas stuff sometimes fills up, but you can get a comedy pass each day that guarantees you access to one of the comedy acts, and if you get there a half hour or an hour early you will almost certainly get a seat regardless. Again, I've never been denied access to a comedy act that I really wanted to see. But I will admit that if you want to see more than one or two a day it does take a bit of planning to ensure you get a seat.

I forgot about Bumbershoot... when does the line up usually get released? The first phase is in early May, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Thursday May 2nd.

I'll likely go Sunday and Monday

I went last year, it was fun, but if you don't get there early for the indoor shows for popular bands you won't get in unless you have a vip pass.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by PenisMuncher View Post
    All of the other stages don't have a maximum capacity since they're outside and no one's going to sit there and monitor how many people are walking up to them.
    The ballroom in the basement has people counters at the entrance/exit. Though I've virtually never heard of anyone getting denied access, though sometimes it's a slow line. They also clear everyone out between acts.

I got turned away from several indoor shows last year, they were at capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    The ballroom in the basement has people counters at the entrance/exit. Though I've virtually never heard of anyone getting denied access, though sometimes it's a slow line. They also clear everyone out between acts.
    Oh, you're right, I forgot about that. But yeah, usually they don't have anyone big enough playing there that it would fill up. Even with bands that have huge lines like The Wombats and Atari Teenage Riot, I haven't ever had a problem getting in. But it is good to get there 5-10 minutes early since yeah, the lines are slow.

Bumbershoot is just not the same without Memorial Stadium

old school

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    Bumbershoot is just not the same without Memorial Stadium
    Even been in that stadium when it's raining. Which is 1/4 type ratio. Also the promoters make a conscious attempt to avoid chasing "headliners" as hard as other festiavls.

old school

Lineup comes out in about 45 minutes. 10:30pm PST.

Haven't heard any rumours. Tegan & Sara/FUN double bill is playing Vancouver on the Saturday and Godspeed is playing up here on Wednesday.

Really wish Sasquatch would have gotten Mates of State instead of Bumbershoot. Nothing in that lineup is enough to make me want to buy tickets.

That lineup is the kind of lineup that would get me to Seattle. It's only 130 too.

If I lived in Seattle I think there is enough for me to justify getting tickets, but it's really not worth traveling for IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

For a second I thought ZZ Ward might have been a side project of Billy Gibbons and M. Ward. Its not.

If Deerhunter, FIDLAR, Washed Out, and Crystal Castles end up on the same day, I may go for that one day. If not, I will hope those bands add a Vancouver show in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Death Cab playing Transatlanticism in full would be my personal version of the Postal Service nostalgia that so many people have had the last few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

The Zombies and Eric Burdon? This lineup is actually kinda awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I really like he lineup and I would attend if I lived within driving distance to the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    For a second I thought ZZ Ward might have been a side project of Billy Gibbons and M. Ward. Its not.

If Deerhunter, FIDLAR, Washed Out, and Crystal Castles end up on the same day, I may go for that one day. If not, I will hope those bands add a Vancouver show in the near future.
    They already have the day by day breakdowns on the lineup page as tags that you can filter on. http://bumbershoot.org/lineup/

Crystal Castles and Washed out - Saturday
    Fidlar - Sunday
    Deerhunter - Monday

Yeah..I wouldn't travel for this festival just as a 'music' festival. Good thing there is so much else going on, that if you live in the area, and like some of the other aspects of it then it is a worthwhile deal.

I mean what other festival can you go see a Indie Movie Premiere, followed up by discussion with Jane Goodall and end the night with Foo Fighters at the mainstage.

Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    Also, is there an electronic music following in Seattle? preferably house music?
    There is a decent electronic music scene here. There will probably be at least one Bumbershoot After Dark event (Bumbershoot & Decibel throw this). You may want to just follow Decibel for that info. Also there is Q nightclub which frequently hosts house and techno djs (a lot of shows by Decibel and Shameless).
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Death Cab playing Transatlanticism in full would be my personal version of the Postal Service nostalgia that so many people have had the last few months.
    Yeah. Holy crap. Just saw this.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Yeah, those two stuck out to me too. Very unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Yeah, those two stuck out to me too. Very unexpected.
    The Zombies are sort of creeping out again on the music scene. Eric seems to play a lot of unusual places (NPR?) The only reason I guess I would go with that lineup is to see them, my family , and Rage and his cool wife cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Fucking this! Plus Heart, Kendrick, Charles Bradley... I really like this lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

old school

Last year they booked Ian Hunter, Tony Bennett, Eric Burdon with Greenhornes(cancelled last minute, he's back again) and Wanda Jackson.

They've actively persued music legends int he latter stages of their career. Solomon Burke and Billy Preston had their final shows at B-Shoot.