Thread: Are VIP PASSES worth the money?

Default Are VIP PASSES worth the money?

Hi all I just went to coachella GA this year and I am contemplating doing VIP passes for next year, just wanted to see if those of you who spent the extra money felt it was worth it before I splurge. Viewing areas packed? Etc. thanks!

Default Re: Are VIP PASSES worth the money?

sort of

the pros
    clean(er) bathrooms
    better food
    better drinks
    nice areas to relax
    at least you can leave with your soft drinks
    friendlier staff

the cons
    viewing areas suck, there is no real value there. the rose garden lets you hear the sahara but not see the stage (other then the TV)
    the other area lets you see the main stage but its too far back to be meaningful.
    my main experience with VIP is Ultra which I believe does a better job with the viewing areas but not as good a job on the comfort aspect.

for me the money is all in the comfort, im 35, my wife is 39+1 ad when you want to drink, or food and something good, or a clean uncrowded restroom, or a relaxing place to chill between sets then the extra money pays for itself there. IF Coachella added 3 other aspects I think it would be amazing.

1. better viewing areas at all the stages (this would even be worth an upcharge a VIPVIP so to speak)
    2. a less crowded merch area
    3. a less crowded meet / greet with artists

but if your question is ultimately is it worth the money, you have to weigh if quicker entry (less agressive checks) comfort, better quality food / drink choices and a bit better bathroom facilities are worth the money for you.

GenPop's where its at...
    Papi Piratón!

VIP people with narcotics are garunteed to not have to worry about a shit search.

There's a lot of talk in this thread: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...bands-Worth-it

For us it was worth every penny this year just for the convenience of parking and quick, easy, and polite security checks.

Edit: Parking pass is a separate fee.
    Last edited by Lynn163; 04-23-2013 at 08:57 AM.

If you plan on drinking and trying to stay buzzed, then yes. Couldn't believe the lines at the beer gardens this year(week1), worst I've seen.

Worth every penny IMO
    1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2013

As long as you arent expecting Stage benefits, it totally is worth it. Getting a quick drink, relaxing in the shade between sets, good food choices with short lines and instant bathroom access is why I do it.

What about the VIP Rose Garden? Isn't that supposed to be cool for watching Sahara acts? (or being near them anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    What about the VIP Rose Garden? Isn't that supposed to be cool for watching Sahara acts? (or being near them anyway)
    You can lay in the grass and hear the music for sure, but you cant really see the stage well.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have never had to wait in line to get into a bathroom. I just walk right up to the trailer and there's always an empty stall.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

This was my first year attending & I decided to spring for VIP for the reasons listed above. It's worth a bit more, but certainly NOT $800 vs $350. Basically, you're paying for the privilege of not waiting in line for your same $9 beer or $11 cocktail.

The Rose Garden was nice to sit in, but it looks like it took them an hour to rent 8 couches and setup said expensive bar. The nice trailer bathrooms that were a big draw for me were closed on Sunday and I was told "the pump broke"

I camped for the weekend; and much to my surprise Friday morning - there's no VIP entrance at the main entrance!? I had to ask several security people - none of which had a clue. If I didn't get bad information, all I needed to do was walk completely out of the grounds and around to the VIP parking to walk in the other side to take advantage of a VIP entrance. Obviously, I did not try it. I might have ridden a bike over there - but they cut the locks off my two bikes on Saturday & removed them (still don't have them back).

Sorry about the rant - but if some one told me these things, I would have went GA. I would think for $450 extra dollars they could do something as small as give you a few free waters or something.

Findfoley - there was a VIP line at the regular entrance. It was to the far left and usually a walk straight in. Only once was it not operating and that was when there was no line going in. This was week one, cant speak for week 2.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyLobster View Post
    Findfoley - there was a VIP line at the regular entrance. It was to the far left and usually a walk straight in. Only once was it not operating and that was when there was no line going in. This was week one, cant speak for week 2.
    I was there weekend one as well. On Saturday there was a descent sized line to get in. Took maybe 20 minutes. The VIP line to the left was closed. There was a fat ass in a yellow jacket sitting there leaning back in his chair. People were walking up with their VIP bands on and he pointed them to the main line. Most of the people working the entrance were pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Debauchery View Post
    I was there weekend one as well. On Saturday there was a descent sized line to get in. Took maybe 20 minutes. The VIP line to the left was closed. There was a fat ass in a yellow jacket sitting there leaning back in his chair. People were walking up with their VIP bands on and he pointed them to the main line. Most of the people working the entrance were pretty lame.
    wow! really? I''d be fuming if that was the case when I went in. What a load of shit and hopefully they allowed VIPers to get through the main entrance just as quick...considering you pay for it.

First of all, "worth the money" is a value judgment and people have different attitudes about money. If you aren't sure how you're going to make rent next month, then no VIP is not worth the money. If you're lighting cigars with 10s and 20s, then sure it's nice not to have to wait in line.

I'm not sure why someone would camp and then buy VIP. That's like living in a piece of shit rat-infested smeared-shit-on-the-walls-and-puke-in-the-carpet hellhole of an apartment then driving around in your Z4. but whatever people like i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    First of all, "worth the money" is a value judgment and people have different attitudes about money. If you aren't sure how you're going to make rent next month, then no VIP is not worth the money. If you're lighting cigars with 10s and 20s, then sure it's nice not to have to wait in line.

I'm not sure why someone would camp and then buy VIP. That's like living in a piece of shit rat-infested smeared-shit-on-the-walls-and-puke-in-the-carpet hellhole of an apartment then driving around in your Z4. but whatever people like i guess.
    this is exactly what i thought when i read how another person camped but got VIP tickets...kind of confusing.

But from what everyone is saying and from what i've heard, VIP is not worth it. Main entrance went by pretty fast, but i went weekend 2, maybe there was a change? VIP allows you to enter through another area faster, not sure if that's a true perk. Slightly better booze, food and cleaner bathrooms? If you're a guy who doesn't go number 2 at coachella, bathroom cleanliness shouldn't be an issue.

I'd never do VIP for the reasons stated throughout this thread...that and I'm broke as fuck

what about those viewing areas on the main stage and mojave? in the front on the left side
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondeyes View Post
    this is exactly what i thought when i read how another person camped but got VIP tickets...kind of confusing.

But from what everyone is saying and from what i've heard, VIP is not worth it. Main entrance went by pretty fast, but i went weekend 2, maybe there was a change? VIP allows you to enter through another area faster, not sure if that's a true perk. Slightly better booze, food and cleaner bathrooms? If you're a guy who doesn't go number 2 at coachella, bathroom cleanliness shouldn't be an issue.

I'd never do VIP for the reasons stated throughout this thread...that and I'm broke as fuck
    Exactly why we did it this year and for me worth every penny. Basically what Tom said, it's a value judgement. The viewing areas are for Guest wristbands.

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    what about those viewing areas on the main stage and mojave? in the front on the left side
    Those are only open to Guest passes and above. Also, those viewing areas are at each stage. Was impressed with how many celeb pics I saw with said celeb only having VIP bands and not the Guest/Artist ones. GV are really cracking down on distribution of the more exclusive passes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post

I agree with the value judgement. The camping analogy is pretty far off though. By camping, I brought all the food, drinks, stereo, lounge chairs, etc. that I wanted and had a shaded, cooled area 500 feet from the entrance and came & went several times a day. I didn't pay for a hotel, drive daily, ride any shuttles, or walk a mile to get in & out every day. Some people are comfortable camping, and actually enjoy car camping once & a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Those are only open to Guest passes and above. Also, those viewing areas are at each stage. Was impressed with how many celeb pics I saw with said celeb only having VIP bands and not the Guest/Artist ones. GV are really cracking down on distribution of the more exclusive passes.
    Wait, a VIP band wont get you into that area? that was the only reason I even considered it.

My girlfriend and I are be fair skinned and burn easily. I enjoy having the ability to sneak out of the sun to a less crowded daytime area next to the main stage with shade.
    worth it? Not for the average person, but there are things that can swing it for you if you are particular.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew86 View Post
    Wait, a VIP band wont get you into that area? that was the only reason I even considered it.
    No VIPs - only Guest/Artist passes. Unless you know someone, you need to look at a Safari package....

Quote Originally Posted by andrew86 View Post
    I hopped over the fence every day in this area in the Mojave and Gobi. Maybe they were lacking security but i did it about 10 times...? Remember that next year buddy

Thanks for all the input, I don't think I will purchase them for next year, I really was hoping to get good viewing spots like they have at EDC for the stages and some extra access but it doesn't sound to be worth it. EDC 2012 was the best and we had vIP worth every penny, but this doesn't sound like GV does this very well in comparison. Looks like ill stick with GA and book at a hotel did the car camping this year but I like sleep way to much to do that again. It was fun and I'm glad we did it but its a onetime deal for me