Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW LUCKY/UNLUCKY WHERE YOU?

Lurker

Default HOW LUCKY/UNLUCKY WHERE YOU?

how lucky/unlucky where you with your lodging/camping/whaterver for coachella?
    for me i was a big time procrastinator. i was desperately searching for a place to stay a week before weekend 1. lucky for me, i found someone who didnt want their hotel room for my weekend. if it wasnt for these threads, i dont know what would have happened. how about you guys, explain dat struggle/lucky situation.

Default Re: HOW LUCKY/UNLUCKY WHERE YOU?

show up early on thursday and got put in lot 4 = very unlucky

Lucky. On W1 showed up a little bit after 9am, got lot 8. I didn't camp W2, but I drove down Jefferson and over to Avenue 52 so I could get lot 15 for parking, and that worked out well Friday. On Saturday I got lot 14E which was a longer walk. I think they were filling up lot 14 before they put people in lot 15 because I arrived late on Friday and got 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Left LA at 6 am to get to the campground at 9:30. Car we were driving blew up right before Banning around 7:30. After calling AAA, getting towed, renting a car and loading up said rental, we were back on the road by 10:00. Arrived at the security check around 11 and were in lot 8 107th st by noon. Centrally located between the entrance, showers and restrooms. It was perfect.

.................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Booked mid 2012, arrived late Thursday, bout 10pm. Parked in lot 14 all three days. Little bit of a walk on Friday, but we remembered the house we rented had bikes. Boom! Easy in/out traveling for much, much cheaper beers. A great wekend was had.

5 minute drive from our house in La Quinta (PGA west) directly into VIP parking. Never waited in line for security all three days. It was a perfect weekend 1 for me

initially booked a hotel in palm springs that was going to cost $1000 found someone renting a room in there place for $500 and it was a 5min walk from the shuttle pickup

We miscalculated how quick the drive from Sacramento to Indio would be. It went way faster this year (maybe we were way more excited? i dunno)

Anyway, we arrived at 4:30AM, waited for the Safeway to open (it goes by a different name in Indo, im too lazy to google right now) Got some ice/breakfast and headed to the line. We were the 3rd car back in our line. Even after getting our wristbands re-issued (some stupid mix up) we got plopped down in Lot 8 [S104th] - 2nd row from the entrance. Preeeeeeemo spot this year, had a blast!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

The length of the walk from our house to the shuttle hinged on two gates that I could only view on Google Maps and Street view. The two gates ended up being open and it made our walk 5 minutes instead 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

My melodica was jacked. Unlucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Inspection = UNLUCKY:
    Arrived @ 2 pm on friday. Crappy Friday traffic extended my drive by an hour from ventura county. Figured I was in pretty good shape when the car camping inspection line was moving reasonably well. Then I got directed into one of the middle lanes. Follow the blue Civic he says. No shit - we watched AT LEAST 30 cars go by us on each side before finally made it to the front. Most lines had inspections taking about 2 mins each. My line had a hard ass who asked me if I had drugs at least 10 times. I mentioned I had a prescription and after insisting to review my license information against it, he then starts asking me if this was really my license. He said it can't be me because I lost a lot of weight. Then he asks me twice if the car was mine. His partner confiscated my teen daughter's highlighters she had in her backpack for school. After 10 minutes of bullshit, they let me through. Meanwhile, there was enough fucking weed inside to get the entire state of texas high. So how effective exactly are these assholes?

Camping spot = LUCKY/OK:
    We ended up on 132nd and main. The walk wasn't bad at all. I don't know why people complain - it was maybe a 1/2 mile? If you aren't in shape for that, you shouldn't be camping. The pisser was... the pisser. These we were strategically centered between three banks of them, all over 1/4 mile away. Now that walk ain't that long normally, but when you gotta go - it sucks. Good part is that they stank to high hell most of the time, so I guess we didn't have to deal with that.Our ground was flat. The grass was living, and dust was minimal. When we took down the tent, we were both barefoot. Apparently we pissed off some fire ants, because they were all over our feet. That was a bitch.

Stupid move of the weekend. Twice, I locked the car up (remote) and LEFT DOORS OPEN. Lights stayed on and combined with not starting it for a few days killed off my battery. thankfully the guy next to me had cables. Upside? No one fucked with my car or stuff, even though it was all out there for more than 12 hours combined.

Very lucky. Good neighbors and just one street over from where we camped last year (107th street this year, as opposed to 106th), although no corner spot for us this time around.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Very lucky. Our group goes for condos and keeps growing so we had to look for another condo less than a month out. Found one in the same community as the others for a super reasonable price.

Smile Re: HOW LUCKY/UNLUCKY WHERE YOU?

Very lucky.. Showed up around 1:30 am Fri got in by 3 am and miracles of miracles got a corner spot in 8!! Who woulda thunk it?? I was praying to the powers that be..please not 4, please not 4!! LOL Great time this year!!

People like the corner spot?

lucky, but as this was my first time camping, have no basis to compare (solo tent camper - weekend 2) - arrived on friday afternoon for tent camping, little bit of line to get in, but from stories i hear, that was nothing compared to thursday - guy checking my car was quick and chill and drove in with no problems - walk from parking to tent camping was nothing, guys watching over us helped transport gear from parking to campsite, made so much easier because it was friday and not thursday - walk from tent camping to festival a bit of hike (we were probably closest campsite to corner of madison and 52nd) but like post above, if you're not willing to walk, this probably isn't the experience for you -

all in all, a weekend (weekend 2) i will never, ever forget - can't wait to do it again next year (hopefully weekend 1 this time and car camping with friends) - when does payment plan start??

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    will be quoted in rumors thread until Jan 2014.

Lucky - Showed up with my friends at about 6:30 to make line to get in. Security checked the cars fast and efficiently, good crew and very nice. Got in at about 8 pm. Got placed in lot 8 on 117th N, pretty much right in front of the benches at the main store which pretty much made it the least possible walk to get breakfast, supplies, ice, charge your phone, and go to the dome.

Unlucky - Sunday night my friend helped out carry some things out of the fest to a friends car. When he got back, he found his tent shaking. He discovered a stereotypically looking Australian bro having sex with some really young looking girl inside, naked, on top of one of my favorite blankets and his blanket. He got up, apologized and left our camp leaving a bloody condom behind and a total of $21 in cash in tip.

Lucky - had my own golf cart for the whole weekend.

Lucky - Somehow managed to get every member of our group in with minimal issues, and all camp next to each other. Great location in camp, less than 5 minute walk into the fest. Personally had zero issues with security. Also got out of the lot on monday morning and onto the freeway in less than ten minutes.

Unlucky - Parov Stelar cancelling the day of
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Coachella was great showed up early thursday before they were letting any cars into the campgrounds and our group ended up right on the corner of 104th street and main st.... right in front of the entrances!
    hopefully #mistyparadise will be as well located next year as it was this year!

Got put in the middle of South 107th street, had some really kick ass neighbors, very lucky this year.

Lurker

I camped with a person I met here.. and didn't die. So I'd say it was a success! haha. Learned some valuable lessons for next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Lucky - had my own golf cart for the whole weekend.
    and your own RV to stay in...
    it must suck to be you...

Got there at 930 noticed other lines were moving faster. Figured out the line next to me was being checked straight while my line and the one to the right were sharing and alternating. Switched lines made up a lot of time and then ended up with a prime end spot in lot 8, close to the bathroom and a quick walk to the venue. Its gonna make whatever I get next year feel bad by comparison

IMG_4918.jpg

I was leaving the camp grounds with a friend of a friend (of a friend) on my way back to my hotel to get "lucky". She fell to ground 3 or 4 times and kept calling me dennis/matt/mathew, nothing close to my real name and was asking if i could drive her to palm springs in the morning so she could change. I had a room two blocks away from the polo grounds, no way was i going to drive all the way to palm springs. I walked her back to my friends camp ground and dropped her off. I was Unlucky getting "lucky", but Lucky in the fact that i didnt have to babysit anyone.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

"I am a firm believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work the more of it I have"
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Due to fortuitous happenstance, we ended up getting 3 camping spots worth of space instead of 1. It was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I intended to leave Las Vegas at 9am... turned out not possible because our rental would only be ready at 10... got lucky and they opened early for us at got the thing at 9... but we still didn't actually leave until like 1pm?

So by the time we got to Coachella and met up with people to get my friends tickets from Will Call... we wound up getting in line close to 10-11pm at night by which point I was all FUCK IT. I DONT FUCKING CARE ANYMORE!

I was stressing about the car search as always... and that's when luck turned for us. EVERYONE was super excited to see our rental for some reason... lots of compliments I accepted graciously (lol) and even the security was impressed with our van and spent more time oogling the art on it than looking at any of our bags. They didn't open a single thing.

Our luck continued as we were guided to Lot 10... I am no stranger to Lot 10, but this was incredible! They put us right next to the Arts & Crafts area! So we were steps away from toilets/showers/general store/food.

I've never had better placement, it totally beats Lot 8 if you're in Lot 10/7/8 towards 51st Ave
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10