Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin City Limits 2013

Default Re: Austin City Limits 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    RHCP is an absolutely miserable choice for a headliner.
    Kings of Leon aren't?
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

overall i don't think this lineup even comes close to being as good as coachella, but there is definitely enough to keep me busy for three days.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    overall i don't think this lineup even comes close to being as good as coachella, but there is definitely enough to keep me busy for three days.
    Yeah, some nice stuff but saying it destroys Coachella is pretty hilarious.
    Last edited by Boourns; 05-09-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Just pulled the trigger on some weekend two passes.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

I found a great deal on flights through orbitz last night, but I didn't buy them. I doubt I can find a better deal than $259 round trip, but I needed to figure out my vacation time and coordinate with my friends that are also going. I used that Virgin promo code posted upthread, but didn't feel like the 25% discount was a better deal that I can typically find through orbitz even though Virgin has the better amenities.

besides, I should probably get my flight squared away for OSL before ACL.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yeah, some nice stuff but saying it destroys Coachella is pretty hilarious.
    Exactly
    Some people just care way too much about headliners

For me, this lineup is better than Coachella's. I love the headliners, sub headers and a bunch the under cards. Such a great lineup! I already gott tickets and I can't wait to go. Austin is an amazing place!!

There's nothing wrong with placing some degree of importance on headliners. That's why they're called headliners. The whole 'I don't care about the headliners' thing has always struck me as a little silly and over-reactionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    There's nothing wrong with placing some degree of importance on headliners. That's why they're called headliners. The whole 'I don't care about the headliners' thing has always struck me as a little silly and over-reactionary.
    Not caring at all about the headliners is silly, but caring so much that they make or break a festival on their own is stupid.
    When i'm deciding what festivals to go to I weigh headliners more than other bands mainly because they have the longest set, play in darkness, get full stage setups, etc. But i'll never let shitty headliners ruin an amazing undercard or great headliners pull me to a shitty festival.

ACL wins NA festivals this year for me. I'm gonna try to make it.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Is Downtown Austin a pretty convenient place to stay for this? I noticed the rates there are pretty pricey for the weekend and I am assuming that is why. Any other recommendations? I know zero about Austin. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Is Downtown Austin a pretty convenient place to stay for this? I noticed the rates there are pretty pricey for the weekend and I am assuming that is why. Any other recommendations? I know zero about Austin. thanks!
    Downtown is the most convenient place to stay. You can walk to the shuttle buses.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post

Yes downtown is perfect! It's a couple miles away from Zilker park(the place where ACL magic happens) and late night entertainment such as the famous 6th street is all waking distance. The river is there and the whole place is super lively. "Live music capital of the world!"

No matter what people say, in general, yes, headliners are important.

No matter what people say, in general, you're a dumbass hick.

Quote Originally Posted by IamTheWalrusVPz View Post
    No matter what people say, in general, yes, headliners are important.
    In the past four years at Coachella this was the first where I didn't see one headliner. Didn't make my weekend any less exciting in the least bit. So, in general, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your statement.

just because you didn't see any headliners, it doesn't mean that a lot of the ticket sales aren't driven by headliners. I only typically see 1 of the headliners each year and the only reason I saw a headliner this year was because I went both weekends, but to most people, they matter.

that said, I really like this lineup. the headliners are among the best of any US festival this year and I do prefer them to coachella's, but coachella's overall lineup was truly great this year as well.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

For us, the headliners are extremely important, because our show dollars are limited and the subs (and lower) don't give you a full show. So lets say I love Faith No More, which I do. If they're a headliner, I get a full 90-120 set that allows me to skip them locally. If they're a sub and get :55 for their set, I'll still feel like I have to see them at their own show. So instead of saving cash through the festival, I'm losing it.

I paid $200 for ACL. I would pay $50 each for The Cure, Depeche, and Muse... So $50 for QotSA (short set or not) and the rest of the bands is a steal. At Voodoo, I pay $100... And I pay $100 just to see Pearl Jam alone, without NIN, etc.

So... If I get my money's worth from the headliners, I can justify the entire fest very easily. And let's face it, lots of subs don't have more than an hour set in them anyhow. The Divine Fits? Great for an hour, not enough material for longer.

And whoever thought I was justifying Kings of Leon as a headliner... Uh, no. RHCP Is a better headliner than KoL based on history, but their live performance was still garbage. KoL is not ever my choice to headline, but they're a fine 1:15 type sub band. They should sub under Black Keys or Arcade Fire or whoever, not the other way around.

Also, I get that there are lots of people who don't care about headliners. Ify

acl and coachella lineups both kick a**. at coachella, you have the mountains, artwork, beautiful weather, and many other things. at acl, the festival is held in austin. i do not need to say anymore. austin is the best american city for live music. i have been to both festivals about five times. we are all fortunate people if we can hear music in either setting.

maybe because i live in austin but you cant beat coachella's venue, location and 1am end time.

unless you are a headliner at ACL you are playing in daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by fibes View Post
    maybe because i live in austin but you cant beat coachella's venue, location and 1am end time.

unless you are a headliner at ACL you are playing in daylight.
    Maybe it's because you prefer Coachella, you mean?

Coachella's late start blows and limits way too many bands to short sets, it's in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except the fest, and it could be either blisteringly hot with no protection or freezing cold... also with no protection. There's no absolute "can't beat" in that group. We prefer city festivals to middle-of-nowhere fests, and noon music so we can jam out early on.

Maybe it's because you prefer Coachella, you mean?

Coachella's late start blows and limits way too many bands to short sets, it's in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except the fest, and it could be either blisteringly hot with no protection or freezing cold... also with no protection. There's no absolute "can't beat" in that group. We prefer city festivals to middle-of-nowhere fests, and noon music so we can jam out early on.
    late start? well wouldn't that mean other fests limit bands to short sets because of their early ending time? Lolla/OSL/ACL specifically???

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

The first bands at Coachella have started before Noon the last few years so I have have no idea what Tom is talking about. I go to Lolla every year, but the 10:00 curfew is definitely a drawback. At Coachella you get almost six hours worth of music after dark on Friday-Saturday and five on Sunday. That makes a huge difference.

I know OSL ends early, and now I guess ACL, but Lolla also ends early? Damn.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The first bands at Coachella have started before Noon the last few years so I have have no idea what Tom is talking about. I go to Lolla every year, but the 10:00 curfew is definitely a drawback. At Coachella you get almost six hours worth of music after dark on Friday-Saturday and five on Sunday. That makes a huge difference.
    Yeah, didn't they have every basically every stage starting at 11:30am this year? And then going until 12am-1am? That's a long festival. The shorter sets are mostly due to just how many acts there are.
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yeah, didn't they have every basically every stage starting at 11:30am this year? And then going until 12am-1am? That's a long festival. The shorter sets are mostly due to just how many acts there are.
    This year, yes. Last year the main stage didn't start till 1pm - in 2011 it didn't start till 1:30... and anyone who attended the festival knows it was a freaking ghost town before early afternoon. You could walk up to the barrier at any set before 1pm in 2010-2012. There were more people playing playstation in the Sony tent last year at noon than in the tents next to that fucker. Since I skipped the festival this year, I can't speak to how it was in the early going... but they certainly offered a lot of smaller bands in shorter sets and the lineup was definitely middle-heavy in 2013. The headliners were nothing to talk about.

As for "music after dark", who the fuck cares? Unless the band has a killer light show (and few do) what does it matter how light or dark it is outside?

I'm not telling anybody what they should like or not like, I'm just saying that making sweeping generalizations about how you can't beat this or that is dumb. Every festival has its charm, but if you picked up Coachella and dropped it into a major metro (like Chicago or New Orleans, for instance) and changed nothing about it else about it, that makes it a better festival. There's more to see/do/eat after the fest. That's why the Lollapaloozas and Voodoos don't need to go to 1am - once you leave the festival, there's still a ton of shit to do in town. If you go back to the room and crash directly after Voodoo, you're brain dead.

Yeah, who cares whether or not it's sunny as shit and 100 degrees where you're trying to enjoy music?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Yeah, who cares whether or not it's sunny as shit and 100 degrees where you're trying to enjoy music?
    !!!

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

This year, yes. Last year the main stage didn't start till 1pm - in 2011 it didn't start till 1:30... and anyone who attended the festival knows it was a freaking ghost town before early afternoon. You could walk up to the barrier at any set before 1pm in 2010-2012. There were more people playing playstation in the Sony tent last year at noon than in the tents next to that fucker. Since I skipped the festival this year, I can't speak to how it was in the early going... but they certainly offered a lot of smaller bands in shorter sets and the lineup was definitely middle-heavy in 2013. The headliners were nothing to talk about.

As for "music after dark", who the fuck cares? Unless the band has a killer light show (and few do) what does it matter how light or dark it is outside?

I'm not telling anybody what they should like or not like, I'm just saying that making sweeping generalizations about how you can't beat this or that is dumb. Every festival has its charm, but if you picked up Coachella and dropped it into a major metro (like Chicago or New Orleans, for instance) and changed nothing about it else about it, that makes it a better festival. There's more to see/do/eat after the fest. That's why the Lollapaloozas and Voodoos don't need to go to 1am - once you leave the festival, there's still a ton of shit to do in town. If you go back to the room and crash directly after Voodoo, you're brain dead.
    But dawg, you're making "sweeping generalizations" yourself. I enjoy the fact that Coachella is relatively isolated compared to city fests like OSL and Lolla. I haven't been to those to compare but I know I like the more natural setting and the mountain landscape.

OSL is in a park where you wouldnt notice there is a giant city looming over it like Lolla. So you want to go to Bonnaroo cause its ''natural''?

edit: Oh yeah, weekend 1 finally ''sold out'' they totally beat Coach on the ticket sales speed this time!

comparing a on-site-camping-boonies-superfestival and a city festival is kind of strange.

both are awesome, and i enjoy them equally but differently. will be trying to scare up some aftermarket WE1 tickets later.