View Poll Results: What do you think of totems in the crowd?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a creative totem contributor

8 6.06%
  • I am a member of a group who heavily relies upon totems

4 3.03%
  • I am entertained by the variety of totems

22 16.67%
  • Take your annoying totem and GFY with it

69 52.27%
  • I hardly notice them and frankly don’t give a shit

29 21.97%

Thread: Totem Poll

Exclamation Totem Poll

What do you think of totems in the crowd?

By totems, I mean sticks, pool noodles, canes, and other long objects with or without something notable attached to the end. Various Nicolas Cage photos or perhaps one of Chris Jenner for example. Or Maybe inflatables, colorful parasols, dead babies, lightsabers, DIY projects, astronauts, etc…
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Default Re: Totem Poll

I was cool with them when there were just a few, and they can definitely be useful, but this year was out of control. At this rate the festival crowds will look like Glasto in about 2 years.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Last year I saw a lot of lightsabers, but none this year. I did see more flags on poles then ever before last weekend. I voted GFY.

I have a big flower that I carry around to help friends find me, but it's only visible when I hold it up and when I'm not looking for anyone it's out of everyone's way. I definitely understand the importance of a totem and they have their usefulness but I respect others in the crowd and hate blocking people's views. some of our group had a rather tall totem but they were always in the sahara and I don't think blocking views is as much of an issue there.

I would prefer people use totems rather than holding hands and creating long chains
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

I have never used them but the group I went with this year had one. I don't like them when people hold them up the whole damn show, but my group only held it up when someone went to the bathroom or something and needed to find our group again.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

I often use my shoe as a temporary totem. But I only hold that up for a few moments.

Allay'all with those noodles and giant faces? Get the fuck out.

Lurker

The totems were everywhere. Wasn't so bad until the idiots held them up during the entire performance.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I have a big flower that I carry around to help friends find me, but it's only visible when I hold it up and when I'm not looking for anyone it's out of everyone's way. I definitely understand the importance of a totem and they have their usefulness but I respect others in the crowd and hate blocking people's views. some of our group had a rather tall totem but they were always in the sahara and I don't think blocking views is as much of an issue there.

I would prefer people use totems rather than holding hands and creating long chains
    The only time one blocked my view was when someone had a giant ass flag (not sure which country) flying around like they were at Glastonbury. The chain of ducks needs to go. I cut them off at 5 (please 10 people!) by taking a step forward. The duckies didn't know what to do half the time being disconnected from the group.

how odd. here's something that annoys most other people but didn't bother me at all. WHY ARE YOU ALL SUCH NEGATIVE DOUCHES?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    how odd. here's something that annoys most other people but didn't bother me at all. WHY ARE YOU ALL SUCH NEGATIVE DOUCHES?
    Maybe because that little pedestal you've built yourself sits higher than the totems, would be my guess...

Dear Tom,
    Sorry to have missed you on the fields this year... or at any 40's+ group meetup that I was unaware of... Please know that I will always hold our first hello and hug from a few years ago, sacred to my heart. And, regardless of what I am about to tell you, I still think that you're a great guy... BUT...Your 50 year old taste in music and my 50 year old taste in music differ so much that it would never work for us. You're much more of an Outdoor kind of guy, and won't venture further than the Mojave. I, on the other hand, continue to make the Sahara Tent my home base, and you've made it perfectly clear that only idiot fuckwads reside there for any length of time... I'm saddened over this, and I just keep telling myself over and over again, that you probably can't dance worth a shit anyway.
    Maybe one day, you'll see the glow and be guided by the lazers, or, I'll be so parched as to find myself in a beer garden drinking something that gives me gas... Who knows? Until then, all I'll have are Random Access Memories to get me through until next year... With Much PLUR,
    Bdoll
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Wut
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    agreed. they are useful to find your group. as long they only use it when someone is actually trying to find them. waving it around because you think the people behind you want to see it is obnoxious though..

For some reason, I thought these were banned at Coachella (along with lawn chairs). This is the first year where I really noticed them. Being from Texas, I've been to ACL a number of times. The most aggravating thing to me are the poles and flags. Nothing is more distracting since most people here hold them up for the entire show.

And yes, I understand their purpose. It's just that I hate them.

The reasons why I find Coachella so enjoyable are the same reasons that make ACL unbearable in recent years:

No flags/poles (at least I thought)
    No lawn chairs
    Designated alcohol areas

ACL allows flags/poles, lawn chairs, and alcohol consumption anywhere on the grounds. This turns the festival into an impossible-to-navigate mine field. You can't walk 5 feet without running into a flag, a chair, or beer bottles everywhere. You can imagine how it is at night.

Long rant short, fuck totem polls.

I didn't see a chain longer than 4 people all weekend.

The totems don't really bother me.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I never saw any of those signs/poles when I was watching a show, or at least they never blocked my view.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I guess these were much more apparent during wk 1 than wk 2, and the ones I saw weren't that annoying, and people put them down when they weren't in use, which I was very surprised to see. I probably could have used one for my friends, instead of my method: which was bubbles. yes, Bubbles. I'm sure I confused the shit out of a lot of people- they probably thought I was on a lot of drugs. But I lost my phone on THursday, and my friend didn't understand how to use the walkies I had, and so we just sort of told each other to meet somewhere at a certain time, and sometimes it was during a show, and my only way of letting them know I was there was with Bubbles. It worked only sometimes.

Mind you I am 5'0, and blowing bubbles from a hole in a mass of very tall people wasn't easy. I hate the totem poles, but I wish I had one. Or at least something. a balloon. I saw lots of balloons.

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

You can't say that the giant Bill Murray face, placed directly below a performing Wu-Tang, didn't raise the entertainment factor.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

They confiscated my friends lightsaber last year which was a bummer. As far as I'm concerned if your totem blocks my view I'm gonna make it my mission to tear that shit apart.

I really dont see the problem with totems, Most of the time there is two giant tv screens next to the stages because every cant fit upfront, and if youre at a DJ set are you really trying to sit there and watch the DJ bob his head push buttons while the big screens are making pictures on the screens.

Quote Originally Posted by ongoingnightmare View Post
    I really dont see the problem with totems, Most of the time there is two giant tv screens next to the stages because every cant fit upfront, and if youre at a DJ set are you really trying to sit there and watch the DJ bob his head push buttons while the big screens are making pictures on the screens.
    I don't attend concerts so I can watch it on a fucking TV screen.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

i always park it right in front of the most obnoxious totem that way my friends can find me AND i dont have to carry a fucking totem around the entire festival. its a win for everyone
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

So what is the festivals official policy on totems?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about them. All I saw was "NO Flags"

Are totems allowed without flags on them?

Quote Originally Posted by bmanuga View Post
    So what is the festivals official policy on totems?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about them. All I saw was "NO Flags"

Are totems allowed without flags on them?
    Does it block the view of ANYONE around you? If so, then the answer is NO.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by jreynolds6 View Post
    They confiscated my friends lightsaber last year which was a bummer. As far as I'm concerned if your totem blocks my view I'm gonna make it my mission to tear that shit apart.
    Mr. Reynolds, I'm really sorry but, destructive and volatile behavior is only allowed here on this message board.