Thread: Where do you think coachella will be...

Default Where do you think coachella will be...

in 5 years from now? it's a legitimate question...with the way crowds are getting worse and worse...when will bands like sigur ros,explosions in the sky stop coming? heck, I was even surprised at the crowd for radiohead during week 1 last year..the crowd these days just don't care for bands reuniting..just sad to the see the crowd for the stone roses ..I mean GV can't be surprised..this ain't Glastonbury..maybe Lou Reed cancelled because he knew it would be a joke of a crowd for him

so flame away if you want..but it's a legitimate question

what do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Default Re: Where do you think coachella will be...

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    in 5 years from now? it's a legitimate question...with the way crowds are getting worse and worse...when will bands like sigur ros,explosions in the sky stop coming? heck, I was even surprised at the crowd for radiohead during week 1 last year..the crowd these days just don't care for bands reuniting..just sad to the see the crowd for the stone roses ..I mean GV can't be surprised..this ain't Glastonbury..maybe Lou Reed cancelled because he knew it would be a joke of a crowd for him

so flame away if you want..but it's a legitimate question

what do you think?
    The same place since the renewed the contract this year.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

you realize both weekends sold out right? sounds like they did pretty well.
    Everyones a Photographer.

People can try and justify as much as they can about why The Stone Roses should be a headliner, but the crowds are evidence enough that they arent. They're a Mojave Tent headliner at best. Lou Reed is more popular in the US (and probably around the world) than The Stone Roses. I've heard "Walk on the wild side" a billion times more than the sum of all Stone Roses songs.

..maybe Lou Reed cancelled because he knew it would be a joke of a crowd for him
    He also cancelled his L.A. and S.F. shows so that's probably not the reason he cancelled on Coachella.
    COACHELLA 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

There was a tiny crowd for the Stone Roses because 90 percent of the attendees (including myself) had never heard of them before the lineup dropped. If it was someone like a Bowie or a Talking Heads, I'm sure it would have been a much different story. I also think Lou would have had a pretty big crowd had he not cancelled.

I'm just saying certains bands will probably never play Coachella again..nick cave being one of them..his grinderman crowd terrible..even the sunday set was empty...i'd love to see tom waits at coachella one day..but i'm pretty sure it'd be pretty fuckin empty..so just curious how coachella will be in 5 years from now since most people just go to hear hits and get shit faced
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I agree it'll be interesting to see where this is headed. The Nick Cave crowd was disappointingly small. I mean, yeah, I was able to get a good spot, but, you know, you'd hope they'd pull a better crowd. I'd say this year had the most unbalanced crowds from stage to stage and act to act.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

..the crowd these days just don't care for bands reuniting..
    Did you see the crowd for Postal Service?

Contract signed until 2030. Dumb thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Not necessarily. Does a contract stipulate demand or quality will remain the same until 2030?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Yes. It says Daft Punk must play every 7 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I'm just saying certains bands will probably never play Coachella again..nick cave being one of them..his grinderman crowd terrible..even the sunday set was empty...i'd love to see tom waits at coachella one day..but i'm pretty sure it'd be pretty fuckin empty..so just curious how coachella will be in 5 years from now since most people just go to hear hits and get shit faced
    I think this is a very valid point. But not sure it's anything new? In 2005 Gang of 4 played an awesome 5pm set on the main stage that I was one of the few to see.. meanwhile later that night Coldplay was packed. Replace Gang of 4 with Grinderman and Coldplay with Phoenix and you've got 2013. Plus ça change.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I think this is a serious question..GV is still trying to keep things somewhat indie but they also need to please the mainstream crowd and this years proved todays coachella crowd doesn't give a shit about most indie artist...unless they're super poppy(vampire weekend,passion pit,tanlines)

I'm pretty sure kurt vile will never want to play coachella again...I just hope we can get 2-3 more good years before coachella turns into total shit

The crowd gets worse every year.
    Not the amount of people, but the type of people that go...

The fest Looked great this year though.
    Amazing time.

Quote Originally Posted by zemorr View Post
    you realize both weekends sold out right? sounds like they did pretty well.
    This

Both weekends sold out but that's because of the hype in my opinion and scalpers trying to make money. Resale for weekend 2 tickets plummeted after weekend one, I really can't say but I wouldn't be surprised if weekend two overall had a lower attendance even with as many passes sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

It's a valid question, and something I'm wondering as well. I usually don't go for the headliners--although I was there for Blur/Stone Roses. The 2nd/3rd lines on the poster were pretty good this year, but could have been better. I am wondering why there was no artist that was a big draw this year--see Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Dre/Snoop, Daft Punk, Prince, etc.

One of the main reasons I have kept coming to Coachella all these years was for the new/smaller bands who would play early in the day. This year was a major disappointment in that respect, as most of the early acts were lame DJs or bands that 'sound like opening bands'. This is the first year I was not excited to see at least 1 opening act each day.

A few of the acts I actually wanted to see had large crowds (YYYs, Postal Service) but in general they had smaller crowds, and the 'herd' went to the less interesting acts. Not complaining, but I was able to get rail at almost any performance just by showing up when the previous act was leaving. This is new to me, as normally, at least for the Mojave and Main Stage, I'd need to get there several acts prior, in order to get to the front.

As someone who is there for the music, and not to get shit-faced and hear hits, I am wondering what is in store.

Ffs, he could've worded it better but the OP isn't asking where Coachella will be, physically, or even if it will still be selling out in 5 years. He's asking what kind of dipshit crowds will continue to be flocking the fields. I think GV ultimately can control that with the future lineups. If you stop booking ultra popular, trendy crap, then the bro quotient will go down.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Justin Bieber will headline and the field will be nothing but a bunch of screaming teenage girls. Oh, wait a minute, nevermind, that's already the case.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

how old is Paul T?

What happens when he retires?
    [baselessspeculation]
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The Chelsea Clintons will headline in 2018.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    The Chelsea Clintons will headline in 2018.
    no way man, it's all about Shorty Jizzle.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

I think Coachella, as a festival, will run the course of the product cycle theory in the mainstream. But, like micro mentioned, GV could manipulate the course with line ups that appeal to true music fans. 2030 is a long time from now, which leaves a lot of room for experimenting and fine tuning since the beginning of three day Coachella in 2010 and then the double weekend in 2012. But I've only ever been to four Coachellas and I'm just talking out of my ass.