Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuma = fail

Default Yuma = fail

Anyone else think Golden Voice did a shitty job with Yuma? Every time I walked by and someone of interest was on there were at least 200-400 people in line to get in. Basically if you wanted to see someone you had to get in line an hour before they came on. If they do it for next year they either need to make it bigger or not have it closed off so the place can have as many people as possible.

Default Re: Yuma = fail

I got in at Noon on Saturday and took in the lovely artwork. No line at all.

Small line Friday night mid-set for DJ Harvey.

I'd rather not have it hold as many people as possible. The best feature about the Yuma was the space to move around and dance. The space is necessary otherwise it will become a crammed shit show like the Sahara. I do agree the tent should be 1/3 bigger.

I understand what they were going for and I did make it in on Saturday afternoon with no problems but when you went to see a big name like Pete Tong or Ritchie Hawtin, the lines were absolutely insane. As much as I wanted to see Ritchie I couldnt wait an hour to get in when so much other stuff was going on.

Yeah, they gotta do something. When there was a line, it didn't appear to move.

We lucked out and were in the tent before Pete Tong went on. Good thing we didn't leave until his set was over, cuz we would have been SOL.

We wanted to catch a few other sets in there, but had to choose other stuff due to super long line in the blazing sun.

Never made it in there because there was a line every time I walked by. Disappointing.
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

The constant line wasn't the only problem. It started to smell like asshole when it was crowded in there after a while.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    The constant line wasn't the only problem. It started to smell like asshole when it was crowded in there after a while.
    Sitting by the A/C vents inside was a godsend though.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

yup. My gf and I got to sit on the red couch for a while and it was so fucking cold you needed a sweatshirt if you sat more than 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

a couple small changes will be made and this tent will soon become a staple of my coachella experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotSgtPeppers View Post
    Sitting by the A/C vents inside was a godsend though.
    Oh yes, we damn near climbed in the A/C tube. It brought us right back to life after a hot set outside.

I went in on Saturday late afternoon and then again sometime Sunday night and there was never a line. The inside was neat looking with the wooden floors and couches, but the crowd, DJs and inside air temp reminded me of a high school dance, so I didn't spend a lot of time there.

Nah. Yuma was basically perfect other than a couple of technical issues. They went for a club vibe and clubs often have lines, especially if fucking Four Tet or Richie Hawtin are performing. The line moved relatively fast and didn't waste any more time than if you were trying to get to the Mojave early enough to see whichever band. They kept the number of people inside low so there was plenty of room to dance, couches were usually available, and the sound, look, and lights were all excellent.

The most brilliant part was that they kept the crowd circulating by having no restrooms, food, water or alcohol (yet surrounding it by all four), and I'm pretty sure that they raised and lowered the temperature every hour or so.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Can you bring in water or food?

Do you really blame them for erring on the size of "too small" after the 7 person crowds at the Oasis Dome in 2011? Now that they have an accurate gauge of what a second EDM tent will actually draw with this formula, I have no doubt the size will be adjusted.

Also, and not that this helps because full sets are really important to people, but I only noticed a line right prior to a set. Once the set was underway, I was able to walk straight in. Then again, I did not try to see some of the bigger Four Tet/Hawtin names.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post
    Nah. Yuma was basically perfect other than a couple of technical issues. They went for a club vibe and clubs often have lines, especially if fucking Four Tet or Richie Hawtin are performing. The line moved relatively fast and didn't waste any more time than if you were trying to get to the Mojave early enough to see whichever band. They kept the number of people inside low so there was plenty of room to dance, couches were usually available, and the sound, look, and lights were all excellent.

The most brilliant part was that they kept the crowd circulating by having no restrooms, food, water or alcohol (yet surrounding it by all four), and I'm pretty sure that they raised and lowered the temperature every hour or so.
    THIS, THIS, THIS, ALL OF THIS.

Also: to those of you complaining about the apparently stagnant lines, THE OPERATIVE WORD IS "APPARENTLY." They weren't going one-in-one-out, but were instead letting large bursts of people in every ten minutes or so whenever it was allowed. I waited in a seriously large line for twenty minutes just before Hawtin, and made it in one song before he began. I would have waited just as long (if not longer) to see him in the Mojave.

My sisters, who did not begin waiting until the set began, made it in halfway through.

This tent is perfect. Change nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PulpAffliction View Post
    Not true. There is always room for improvement, especially for a stage/tent that made its debut this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

The Yuma tent: where people pay $350 to stand in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I would change nothing except ban drinks going in. Wasters spilling water and chucking empty bottles on the hardwood was my only complaint. Lines were fine/comparable to the HDome and nobody is complaining about those.
    4/17/11-T/R/L/P

Quote Originally Posted by knowyourhouse View Post
    Can you bring in water or food?
    Water, yes. Food...I guess everyone finished theirs in line.

Just be thankful they figured out the 'line' situation Day 2. Almost got trampled trying to get in during the Pete Tong set before they set up the side entrance with the fencing.

so many people were pretending to look at the food stands near the front of the line then just meshing in when people were surging when the doors would open

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    girlfriend and I used the metal man art piece outside the yuma as a frequent meeting spot, this gave me ample opportunities at night to sit on the wooden base and people watch/listen to the music. every time they'd get the strobes going, i'd look at the exit doors. every few seconds i'd get a snapshot of three things: dancers frozen in motion, sweaty nightclub air, and the streaks of moisture on the inside of the doors.

wugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Do you really blame them for erring on the size of "too small" after the 7 person crowds at the Oasis Dome in 2011? Now that they have an accurate gauge of what a second EDM tent will actually draw with this formula, I have no doubt the size will be adjusted.

Also, and not that this helps because full sets are really important to people, but I only noticed a line right prior to a set. Once the set was underway, I was able to walk straight in. Then again, I did not try to see some of the bigger Four Tet/Hawtin names.
    Yar. It was pretty clear as soon as the lineup was announced that Four Tet and Hawtin would be impossibly hard to get into. On the other hand, I had no trouble seeing all of Joris Voorn's set.

Also: to those of you complaining about the apparently stagnant lines, THE OPERATIVE WORD IS "APPARENTLY." They weren't going one-in-one-out, but were instead letting large bursts of people in every ten minutes or so whenever it was allowed. I waited in a seriously large line for twenty minutes just before Hawtin, and made it in one song before he began. I would have waited just as long (if not longer) to see him in the Mojave.

My sisters, who did not begin waiting until the set began, made it in halfway through.

How did you know when Hawtin was going on (since he missed his official set time and then scheduled something at a random time the next day)?

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    How did you know when Hawtin was going on (since he missed his official set time and then scheduled something at a random time the next day)?
    Coachella sent out a tweet early Sunday saying he'd be performing from 7:15 - 8:45 that evening.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

You obviously did not try to see Jamie xx.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesg View Post
    Can you please stop talking about monklish?
    You've been a member since 2007 and have almost 18,000 posts, you should know better.

20 minutes for hawtin? try almost 1 hour. i waited around 7pm after james blake. i didnt get in until 815ish.

Quote Originally Posted by iwaslike View Post
    You obviously did not try to see Jamie xx.
    someone in line for jamie xx told me there was a rumor that Daft Punk was going to play in the yuma at 415. I wish i was kidding.

That explains it.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesg View Post
    Can you please stop talking about monklish?
    You've been a member since 2007 and have almost 18,000 posts, you should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post

At least with the dome though you could come and go as you please. Besides with the dnb they were playing they were ahead of the coachella curve. Bass music is now a big deal and I think that same lineup from 2011 would do great now. Andy C, DJ Hype, Beardyman, Roni Size. They would have no problem filling up the Yuma.