Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did it seem more crowded this year?

Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

Only time I felt overwhelmed was moving from Vampire Weekend to Pretty Lights, with the beer garden lines doing nothing to help the situation. But other than that it was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mofomofo View Post
    Fact: GV is allowed to have 95,000* people on premises this year. That number has been in effect for a couple years now. That number will be upped to 99,000* starting in 2014 and lasting until 2030
    Should also be noted that they're expanding and adding space next year too. Over near the Outdoor (not sure how that's going to work, but it's in the maps in the documents).
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Should also be noted that they're expanding and adding space next year too. Over near the Outdoor (not sure how that's going to work, but it's in the maps in the documents).
    Is this 100%? If so, very cool. Outdoor needs a whole revamp. Move the Do-Lab more over towards the entrance/terrace and beef up Outdoor and Gobi sound. Neeeeeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Is this 100%? If so, very cool. Outdoor needs a whole revamp. Move the Do-Lab more over towards the entrance/terrace and beef up Outdoor and Gobi sound. Neeeeeeded.
    Yes, it was approved recently.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I thought it was a given for next year. I could be wrong but I don't want to reread everything to find out. I wouldn't think the fire department would let them increase capacity unless they added more space though.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

It's more space...but it's awkward space…behind where the Outdoor Theatre is, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

It's awkward but they could move something (I don't know what, maybe the do lab) back there to free up more space elsewhere.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

They could push the food court by the Gobi back into that area to draw in crowds.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-19-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Ideally, the grassy camping area should be the main stage area, but that would mean more space for GV to fill with people.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Gobi could definitely use a revamp. They need speakers on the sides, it was hard to hear from the back, but then again, I guess the Do Lab is to blame for that.

I was able to grab some rail at 4 or 5 different acts this year. This year was my favorite because of that. Extra space by the outdoor sounds nice, maybe angle the stage in the opposite direction to avoid main stage sound bleed.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

crowds seem much better this year than last. maybe it's a weekend 2 thing?

I felt like the crowds were worse this year, mostly because I can usually do a "sampler platter" of acts when there's a lot of conflicts and dart inbetween stages pretty fast. This year it was soooo slow. But I might have just been spoiled by the cold weather last year. I think a lot of people cleared out with the rain, etc.

Friday felt a lot more packed than past years, but I've also gone weekend 1 the last two years and the weather has been a shit show. The upside to the sand storm on Saturday was more room.

Maybe it's because I didn't go to any of the "party people" acts, but it seemed much less crowded this year. Normally by early afternoon, the Mohave and Gobi tents are packed during any set, with people spilling out the sides. This year I was able to just walk up to the rail for most of the acts I wanted to see.

Lurker

It felt more crowded this year. There were a few scary clusterfucks. Empire of the Sun in the Sahara--entered from Mojave side right before it started. In/Out door jam was a little scary, feet lifted off the crowd in tightly packed crowd--carried away in sea of people. Grabbed onto some dude and held on tight. Then after Calvin Harris trying to approach Robot, mighty clusterfuck. I get holding your friend's hand to stay with your group, but when it's 12 people break it the fuck up. I don't like to push but a bitch has her limits. I'd say Empire of the Sun Sahara was way worse than MIA Sahara of 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpantsdiva View Post
    It felt more crowded this year. There were a few scary clusterfucks. Empire of the Sun in the Sahara--entered from Mojave side right before it started. In/Out door jam was a little scary, feet lifted off the crowd in tightly packed crowd--carried away in sea of people. Grabbed onto some dude and held on tight. Then after Calvin Harris trying to approach Robot, mighty clusterfuck. I get holding your friend's hand to stay with your group, but when it's 12 people break it the fuck up. I don't like to push but a bitch has her limits. I'd say Empire of the Sun Sahara was way worse than MIA Sahara of 2008.
    That experience was so terrible! Getting into the Sahara then trying to leave, was the worst! Not the scariest Coachella experience for me (Strokes 2011) but it was a very very solid #2, especially because I had my wife this time around.

I thought it was about the same in general, but there was a lot more concentration of the crowds at peak times down near the Sahara side of things. Might be a consequence of the Do Lab and Yuma all being down there now and that straight path from the Sahara into the terrace area. Nowhere near the constant clusterfuck of 2010 though.
    06, 08-14

I missed the infamous 2010 debacle, but 2014 felt more way crowded than any other Coachella that I've ever attended, particularly on Friday.

This article hints that the festival was oversold:
    The city of Indio limits Goldenvoice to 99,000 people a day on its fields. The producers don't reveal sales figures, but the sold-out three-day passes are expected to make an aggregate six-day total of more than 225,000 people. --> http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...end-1/7675841/
    The windstorm seemed to thin the herd substantially on Saturday, though it was still pretty nightmarish around the Sahara into the Rose Garden toward the end of the night. Sunday was great, though. Wonder if they cracked down somehow.

No 2010 was really ba.
    I thought this year wasn't that crowded
    I stepped into all the stages during the weekend
    Even the Sahara, which was a first for me
    And I really enjoyed it.
    I will say Less crowded*

The only time I had an issue with the crowd was the Calvin Harris to Lana Del Rey flood. I was able to avoid the nightmare by heading right past it into the terrace and waited until the element had moved like sheep to camp out for Disclosure.

It seemed more crowded this year because it was more crowded this year. This was my fifth Coachella and it always seems as though there is room to run freely at any given time. Not the case this time. Enormous crowds for Empire, Lana, Lorde, Fat Boy Slim etc. If i didn't have a backstage pass I wouldn't have even been able to see those sets. GV needs to fix this.

The Sahara looked much worse than it was. Once you actually got into the thick of things people were pretty good about respecting personal space and keeping their distance.

this thread!

the entire field was filled with people, not only at stages, EVERYWHERE. either people were easily sneaking in this year because security were so easy orrrr goldenvoice is all about the $$$. I know they are by getting rid of zia this year, ugh. how crazyyyyyyyyy
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    The Sahara looked much worse than it was. Once you actually got into the thick of things people were pretty good about respecting personal space and keeping their distance.
    Agreed 100%, there were bottle necks strategically placed around the parameters and doors, but once you entered, there was plenty of space to settle down where you wanted. Empire of the Sun was a perfect example. It was a battle just to make it to the back of the tent, but I was able to nestle myself up inside the 2nd door about halfway towards the middle.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 04-15-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    The only time I had an issue with the crowd was the Calvin Harris to Lana Del Rey flood. I was able to avoid the nightmare by heading right past it into the terrace and waited until the element had moved like sheep to camp out for Disclosure.
    too bad the sheep weren't heading to the slaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    too bad the sheep weren't heading to the slaughter.
    According to them they were, because Disclosure just "killed it."

I didn't think it was that crowded. Maybe the OP just went to only the most popular sets.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    I didn't think it was that crowded. Maybe the OP just went to only the most popular sets.
    Or just hadn't been to Coachella or any music festival for that matter. I've seen Coachella way more crowded than this year, especially 2010 and 2012.

By the way, I happily cropdusted the assholes running towards Calvin Harris as I was leaving the outdoor.