Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65

Thread: Did it seem more crowded this year?

  1. #1

    Default Did it seem more crowded this year?

    I'm not sure if they sold more tickets or a bunch of people sneaked in but this year seemed a LOT more crowed. Especially the Sahara tent. Even with it being bigger it was always over capacity and usually extended all the way back to the beer garden. It for sure felt a lot more packed then the previous 2 years.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    I can't say anything about the Sahara because I never step foot in it but overall very very no, in fact if anything it seemed a little less crowded than normal.

  3. #3
    Member meyouseek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LAX
    Posts
    1,225

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Yes. Definitely noticed when moving from one tent to another, and even with the bigger Sahara it got as full as ever.

  4. #4
    Member footixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The "NO"
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    the sandstorm on sunday helped part the sea of people a bit

  5. #5
    Member Twattycakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    926

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Trying to walk from blur to the smaller food court (no spicy pie in the big one!) was fucking BANANAS. That J5 crowd was MASSIVE.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    i thought Friday was a breeze, but jesus Saturday i could barely move around people, even in non-stage areas. it was a major jump from the day before.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    i thought it was fine during the day, even felt less crowded than usual. but once it got dark out, it seemed extremely crowded.

  8. #8
    Member Tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Uh, heck yeah. Check out the graph associated with this article: http://www.craveonline.com/music/art...sion-continues

  9. #9

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Definitely felt more crowded. Almost as bad as 2010.
    COACHELLA '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 (1), '13 (1)

  10. #10
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    The line getting into your mom's pants was less crowded this year. Hmmm

  11. #11
    Member Vic Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    if anything it felt less crowded. it wasn't until sunday night that i said "holy shit, this is packed".
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

  12. #12
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Uh, heck yeah. Check out the graph associated with this article: http://www.craveonline.com/music/art...sion-continues
    That graph only goes to 2012. This year is 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  13. #13
    Member Tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Not too hard to extrapolate though. I figure it must even be higher this year.

  14. #14
    Member LongshotJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Everything south of the Mojave was overcrowded: Beer garden, bathrooms, Sahara, Yuma.

    I didn't have a ton of interest in the Sahara this year, but it would have been fun to pop in during breaks in my schedule. That wasn't happening.

    Since it's fun to speculate, I wonder if the number of Vegas club acts booked in 2012 had a big influence on who bought tickets this year.

    Then again, it didn't seem to matter who was playing in the Sahara... so maybe it's just a sign of the overall bloated state of electronic music's popularity... and that's just how it's gonna be from now on.
    Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

  15. #15
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by LongshotJoe View Post
    Everything south of the Mojave was overcrowded: Beer garden, bathrooms, Sahara, Yuma.

    I didn't have a ton of interest in the Sahara this year, but it would have been fun to pop in during breaks in my schedule. That wasn't happening.

    Since it's fun to speculate, I wonder if the number of Vegas club acts booked in 2012 had a big influence on who bought tickets this year.

    Then again, it didn't seem to matter who was playing in the Sahara... so maybe it's just a sign of the overall bloated state of electronic music's popularity... and that's just how it's gonna be from now on.
    Doesn't it really feel like there are two festivals going on in the same one-festival space? When did Coachella absorb EDC? Does Stagecoach have an EDC element as well, or are we getting shafted? How is PT going to know the direction of dance music, if he doesn't extract and define it elsewhere? Some edm acts belong at Coachella, without a doubt, but the whole Sahara thing is out of control. I wasn't able to get inside the Sahara at any point during the weekend. I was only able to enter the Yuma before two pm. New Order, The Descendents, The Stone Roses, and a lot of older acts have tiny crowds with chattering teeth e-tards and drunk motherfuckers who don't appreciate the music totally changing the vibe of the crowd. It's as if there is so much music going on that people don't give a shit if one of their best shows of the weekend is ruined, by them, or anyone else. Let's take some fucking pride in our festival and the overall experience. GV can only do so much, and the weight shouldn't be entirely on their shoulders. If the attendees don't give a shit, then why should they?

  16. #16
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,655

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Doesn't it really feel like there are two festivals going on in the same one-festival space? When did Coachella absorb EDC? Does Stagecoach have an EDC element as well, or are we getting shafted? How is PT going to know the direction of dance music, if he doesn't extract and define it elsewhere? Some edm acts belong at Coachella, without a doubt, but the whole Sahara thing is out of control. I wasn't able to get inside the Sahara at any point during the weekend. I was only able to enter the Yuma before two pm. New Order, The Descendents, The Stone Roses, and a lot of older acts have tiny crowds with chattering teeth e-tards and drunk motherfuckers who don't appreciate the music totally changing the vibe of the crowd. It's as if there is so much music going on that people don't give a shit if one of their best shows of the weekend is ruined, by them, or anyone else. Let's take some fucking pride in our festival and the overall experience. GV can only do so much, and the weight shouldn't be entirely on their shoulders. If the attendees don't give a shit, then why should they?
    Compared to previous years, I think I only spotted 2 pairs of fuzzy leg warmers and a handful of tutu's all weekend. I did get a light show from some dude that knew how to work my poi balls better than I could, and saw a small group of El-Wired outfits... Far from being close to an EDC element though.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

  17. #17
    Member PulpOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    I didn't really experience any sort of overcrowding. I didn't step a foot in the beer gardens, but they looked ridiculous. Lines to stand in lines.

  18. #18
    Member Tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Like I've always said, Coachella has become nothing more than a bucket list item to a few thousand people. Not much different than all the retards who climb Half Dome every year.

  19. #19
    Member PulpOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Like I've always said, Coachella has become nothing more than a bucket list item to a few thousand people. Not much different than all the retards who climb Half Dome every year.
    Bucket lists usually contain the most incredibly, amazing experiences known to man. Only makes sense that Half Dome and Coachella are on there.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Honestly the festival never felt crowded to me this year. I was able to walk up to at least the soundbooth at every set I saw. I also didn't even bother walking near the Sahara since it was 95% garbage this year.

  21. #21
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Not too hard to extrapolate though. I figure it must even be higher this year.
    I figure that's fucking stupid. Extrapolation is speculation not fact,
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  22. #22
    Member aphrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by djjoshchambers View Post
    I'm not sure if they sold more tickets or a bunch of people sneaked in but this year seemed a LOT more crowed. Especially the Sahara tent. Even with it being bigger it was always over capacity and usually extended all the way back to the beer garden. It for sure felt a lot more packed then the previous 2 years.
    Wierd. I never had any problem getting up front in the Sahara, even for Prydz. I noticed a lot of congestion at the Mojave for certain acts (Major Lazer, for example), but otherwise it never really felt crowded to me ...and I almost never had to wait in line for the toilet, which helps dispel any feeling of crowdedness.

  23. #23
    Member aphrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by LongshotJoe View Post
    Everything south of the Mojave was overcrowded: Beer garden, bathrooms, Sahara, Yuma.

    I didn't have a ton of interest in the Sahara this year, but it would have been fun to pop in during breaks in my schedule. That wasn't happening.

    Since it's fun to speculate, I wonder if the number of Vegas club acts booked in 2012 had a big influence on who bought tickets this year.

    Then again, it didn't seem to matter who was playing in the Sahara... so maybe it's just a sign of the overall bloated state of electronic music's popularity... and that's just how it's gonna be from now on.
    Maybe our definitions of crowded just differ. I "popped in" for several Sahara acts whom I hadn't intended to see, just because I had time to kill and the Sahara is usually a good time killer.

    The Yuma was harder, but even then I never had to wait more than 5-10 mins.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    I think they just need to make the Sahara a full blown outdoor stage and turn it sideways. If they got rid of that VIP area to right and put the stage there it would help a LOT. You could fit so many people that way. I think it might affect sound into the Mohavi but thats really the only way to fix the over crowding over there.

    And to be clear, there were lots of times I didnt have an issue. I walked right up to the front for dirtyphonics and Baueer and Mimosa had plenty of space but try moving during dog blood, bassnectar, fedde le grand or any one else that was on after the sun went down and it was just a giant pain.

  25. #25
    Member aphrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by djjoshchambers View Post
    And to be clear, there were lots of times I didnt have an issue. I walked right up to the front for dirtyphonics and Baueer and Mimosa had plenty of space but try moving during dog blood, bassnectar, fedde le grand or any one else that was on after the sun went down and it was just a giant pain.
    I had no trouble at FLG or Prydz; I think it depended on where in the crowd you wanted to be and when you got there (although I got to FLG mid-set).

    Dog Blood and Bassnectar, I suspect had the biggest crowds of the weekend for the Sahara.

  26. #26
    Member drewskeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Besides what I heard about the couple of poor stage choices like 2 Chainz in the Mojave creating abnormally large crowds, I really felt the whole weekend was pretty light compared to years past... it felt easy to move between stages and the crowds never seemed to overwhelm at any particular set... Wu-Tang's crowd was pretty big, but still felt smaller than Atoms for Peace in 2010.

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,428

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    It did not seem more crowded to me, but I know how to put my head down and move through a crowd like a cat.

  28. #28
    Member Tikiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I figure that's fucking stupid. Extrapolation is speculation not fact,
    And here I thought you were educated. Graphs are made to DETECT TRENDS. Seriously, why would GV NOT want to increase attendance to increase their profits? I haven't gone every year, but only an idiot wouldn't notice an increase in the crowd size.

  29. #29
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,877

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    A) I do go every year. And its crowded every year. Some of you people have really bad memories.
    B) there are capacity limits, you know. GV can't increase attendance until they have the permits to do so. The attendance levels are clearly outlined in the contracts signed with the city, which are easily accessible on Indio's web page.
    C) that stupid graph doesn't account for the spacial expansion they've done. They've added hundreds of square footage since the 2010 fiasco.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-19-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  30. #30

    Default Re: Did it seem more crowded this year?

    Fact: GV is allowed to have 95,000* people on premises this year. That number has been in effect for a couple years now. That number will be upped to 99,000* starting in 2014 and lasting until 2030 or until the Salton Sea makes last Sunday's dust storm seem like a cool, clear breeze.

    Thus the "trend" of ever increasing attendance is capped, you know, because there are authorities who do care how many people you try to pack into any given space. Of course, year to year more or less people may actually show up at the fields despite the sellouts...but I don't think we'll ever be getting GV's stats on that gleaned from the RFID chips on our wrists.

    Note - those numbers include attendees, event staff and other support, vendors and artists.

Similar Threads

  1. How crowded was it?
    By dave23 in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
  2. Crowded House!! Who is as excited as I am?!!
    By Badkat68 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 01:10 AM
  3. Poor Crowded House!!!
    By The Krysst in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
  4. Crowded House
    By Philthy in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 08:00 PM
  5. Crowded House
    By Somewhat Damaged in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •