Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

  1. #1
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    I searched for this elsewhere, so hopefully this post isn't redundant. However, Willie Nelson's placement near the top of the bill seems out of place to me (sorry Willie fans!). Yes, I understand that he may be playing both festivals, but I have to wonder if he is really serving as a placeholder for another (yet-to-be-announced) artist. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  2. #2
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Good point. It does seem odd to be playing both festivals and to be billed so high at Coachella and headlining Stagecoach. GV has been known to play a hoax in the past...*ahem*...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    I don't see any reason to believe it's not for real. I'm assuming he will be closing out the second stage on Sunday night, which should be perfect.

  4. #4
    old school Tylerdurden31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY...the non-hipster part
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Willie Nelson owns

  5. #5
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    Uhh, assuming he is playing, they aren't even playing the same day. What are you blathering about?
    Exactly. In fact, it will be even worse... getting blown out by Rage Against The Machine. The only way I see that one playing out would be if Rage played early (until 11pm), and then Willie had the 11-midnight slot (very unlikely).

    If he plays, I think that it will be an earlier slot on one of the two stages.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    I'm assuming he will be closing out the second stage on Sunday night, which should be perfect.
    Except that he'll get blown out by the RHCPs, like Interpol did in '03

  7. #7
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Somehow I went back in time... strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  8. #8
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    Except that he'll get blown out by the RHCPs, like Interpol did in '03
    Uhh, assuming he is playing, they aren't even playing the same day. What are you blathering about?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by sacleonard View Post
    Exactly. In fact, it will be even worse... getting blown out by Rage Against The Machine.
    I think they try to counter-program the headliners with people drawing from very different fanbases and crowds. I think that RATM and Willie Nelson would have very little overlap, and would have totally different moods. People who don't want to bust heads in the pit for Rage can chill out at the second stage with Willie. That's not "being blown out," that's just smart booking.

  10. #10
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    I think they try to counter-program the headliners with people drawing from very different fanbases and crowds. I think that RATM and Willie Nelson would have very little overlap, and would have totally different moods. People who don't want to bust heads in the pit for Rage can chill out at the second stage with Willie. That's not "being blown out," that's just smart booking.
    That would make sense much like last year. They had Tool and the Scissor Sisters play at the same time. Two TOTALLY different fan bases. I hadn't thought about the decoy factor until just now and while it might serve to be bogus I'll remain a skeptic because that's my nature with these festival lineups.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    That's not "being blown out," that's just smart booking.
    I'm not saying it isn't smart to have him go up against Rage (yes, not RHCP as I misstated before). I'm just saying if he does he'll get blown out by the music from the main stage. A louder electric rock or hip-hop act would stand a better chance, judging from my previous Coachella experiences.

  12. #12
    Member noisemachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara and East Bay Area
    Posts
    1,288

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    I wanna see Willie, but Im probably gonna go to Stagecoach, so I'll catch him there. As for the placeholder theory...interesting. I doubt it, but would be cool. Would still love to see Portishead stuck in there.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't smart to have him go up against Rage (yes, not RHCP as I misstated before). I'm just saying if he does he'll get blown out by the music from the main stage. A louder electric rock or hip-hop act would stand a better chance, judging from my previous Coachella experiences.
    Really? I've never had a problem with that. I've been at the second stage with some awfully loud headliners on the main stage and I've never had any problems hearing. I've always been kind of amazed at how well the sound systems are set up that I feel like each stage is a sonic world of its own, no matter who's playing next door.

  14. #14
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,715

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    I don't think GV has never put a "placeholder" on a poster before. That sounds kind of shady, honestly. But then again they deliberately fooled people into thinking The Police were playing this year, so I guess anything's possible.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  15. #15
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,715

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    Really? I've never had a problem with that. I've been at the second stage with some awfully loud headliners on the main stage and I've never had any problems hearing. I've always been kind of amazed at how well the sound systems are set up that I feel like each stage is a sonic world of its own, no matter who's playing next door.
    It all depends on where you are situated, of course. If you're on the edge of the mainstage area, you could very well get some 2nd stage bleeding through, and vice versa. I think MF Doom was clearly audible during the sheer quietness of Radiohead's 'Exit Music for a film' in 2004.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  16. #16

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    I feel like each stage is a sonic world of its own, no matter who's playing next door.
    I could literally make out RHCP lyrics during Interpol in 2003, and I've noted a fair amount of soundbleed from the Sahara tent into whichever tent is adjacent. But overall, I will say Coachella does a better job with this than other festivals I've been to.

  17. #17
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    I don't think GV has never put a "placeholder" on a poster before. That sounds kind of shady, honestly. But then again they deliberately fooled people into thinking The Police were playing this year, so I guess anything's possible.
    This is true, but maybe Willie will forget to file his taxes and will be unavailable for April 29th. In any event, it is an interesting theory as to why GV would book him for two shows in consecutive weeks. That's pretty weak and strange at the same time.

  18. #18
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't smart to have him go up against Rage (yes, not RHCP as I misstated before). I'm just saying if he does he'll get blown out by the music from the main stage. A louder electric rock or hip-hop act would stand a better chance, judging from my previous Coachella experiences.
    That was my point... not who's better, but that Rage will over-shadow his set from across the lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  19. #19

    Smile Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by noisemachine View Post
    I wanna see Willie, but Im probably gonna go to Stagecoach, so I'll catch him there. As for the placeholder theory...interesting. I doubt it, but would be cool. Would still love to see Portishead stuck in there.
    I would love it if they added PORTISHEAD!!!

  20. #20
    Member NoneForMeThanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    Really? I've never had a problem with that. I've been at the second stage with some awfully loud headliners on the main stage and I've never had any problems hearing.
    Belle & Sebastian vs. Foo Fighters

    It all just depends on how the wind is blowing and which song each artist is playing at the time.

  21. #21
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Potishead on day 1, thats the only day that has a lot of room to add bands....

  22. #22

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    In any event, it is an interesting theory as to why GV would book him for two shows in consecutive weeks.
    Well, look at Johnny Cash. He sold a metric fuckton of albums when he was repackaged in such a way as to reintroduce him to a Coachella sort of audience. Maybe Willie wants a chance to expose his work to that same audience, and since he's playing in the area the next week anyway...

  23. #23
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,715

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Bands
    Friday - 33
    Saturday - 41
    Sunday - 38

    looks like Friday and Sunday will have some more additions. Saturday's probably all set.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  24. #24
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Bands
    Friday - 33
    Saturday - 41
    Sunday - 38

    looks like Friday and Sunday will have some more additions. Saturday's probably all set.
    That's a great point. Willie or Willie-free, I don't think that we're done yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  25. #25
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Bands
    Friday - 33
    Saturday - 41
    Sunday - 38

    looks like Friday and Sunday will have some more additions. Saturday's probably all set.
    No, RHCP has to die in a fire, be replaced and then we'll be all set.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    willie nelson is a terrible addition in my opinion. he no longer cares about his live shows and he just looks so wrong on the line up.

  27. #27
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,307

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Yeah, but he gets the best pot and has history so let him play. I remember reading somewhere that The Secret Machines saw him live at Austin City Limits and they said he was absolutly amazing. What do we know of his live shows anyways? Give the hick a chance I say!!!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    my parents saw him last saturday and said he was crap. he also got one of the worst write ups in the paper i have ever seen

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaoq View Post
    my parents saw him last saturday and said he was crap. he also got one of the worst write ups in the paper i have ever seen
    your parents? well then, that just seals the deal. we all know how hip your parents are. they go to willie nelson shows.

  30. #30
    Member brenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WHITTIER
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Willie Nelson: For Real Or Placeholder?

    willie nelson is hella old! how would that make parents hip?
    if your blazed out with him.. he probly wouldnt be "crap"

Similar Threads

  1. Is this for real??????
    By odetothesun in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
  2. the real question
    By matsuolost in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •