Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Violent Femmes Were One Of The Tightest Bands I Have Ever Seen At Coachella

Default Re: The Violent Femmes Were One Of The Tightest Bands I Have Ever Seen At Coachella

This was my third time seeing them.

Default Re: The Violent Femmes Were One Of The Tightest Bands I Have Ever Seen At Coachella

And did you ever see a bad performance from them?

Their previous tour was with the sax player featured on Dark Side of the Moon, I wonder if they used the same guy at Coachella.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    And did you ever see a bad performance from them?
    Nope

How many of you people have been to a Violent Femmes show before?
    This was my second. This one was a lot better than the first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

When he was singing "I've done a lot of druuuggggsss", I was thinking..."yep". Dude is 49 and looks 65. But whatever. Loved this set.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

How old do I look Jen?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

They were definitely one of the best of the festival. Amazing vibes... They sound as good as they do on record 30 years ago. Pretty awesome

Good answer, Jen.

I was really struck by the juxtaposition of an old guy singing songs of teenage angst in almost exactly the same voice he had 30 years ago. At the set I could ignore it, but it has stuck with me. There is something really almost eerie about hearing a 50 year old man singing "Gimme the Car". It's either creepy as fuck or cool as hell or both.

Quote Originally Posted by djfk1 View Post
    Has anybody noticed that the Femmes set time on weekend two has changed. The app has them and cafe tacuba switching and the Femmes going on an hour earlier.
    Well, that sucks. Was looking forward to going from Bat for Lashes to Violent Femmes during the Sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by djfk1 View Post
    Has anybody noticed that the Femmes set time on weekend two has changed. The app has them and cafe tacuba switching and the Femmes going on an hour earlier.
    That is shitty because half the reason I enjoyed this set so much was because it was at sunset, and what a lovely sunset it was! Nice breezes, half-light, and Violent Femmes.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This was my second. This one was a lot better than the first one.
    But I'm sure even the first time was good. My point is that they have always been a tight band. I've seen them several times, and they have never been a disappointment even in their druggy days. Then it was even better because I wasn't so old.

The musical highlight of my wk1. Gano belongs in the Dylan/Neil Young/Springsteen tier when it comes to great American songwriters.

I dont know I really enjoyed their set til I started feeling like the songs were bland and too simliar.I would give them another chance maybe it was my own preception since everyone else is saying how amazing the set was.I mean it was nice to hear songs I have been wanting see and watching a band that influence my favorite band the Pixies even more so how Gordon Gono deliverly is very simliar to Charles Thompson.I just remember thinking gheez is every song about jerking off or teenage sex filled thoughts is the Ween of the 80s!

I feel like its a gimmick since there are a TON of these 80s era bands that are going on tour for a certain album;Echo and the bunnymen,The Pixies,Church(whatever band does that amazing song title "under the milky way" i believe is the name ),Peter Hook doing Joy divison albums, even fucking Public Enemy.I feel as we all are too afraid of this unknown or new songs and are wanting familar or "safe/cool" songs to enjoy.
    Last edited by getbetter; 04-17-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

You were too wasted to know up from down. Shut the fuck up.

old people playing music: a gimmick.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

The Femmes take that cake against any of the bands you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I feel like its a gimmick since there are a TON of these 80s era bands that are going on tour for a certain album;Echo and the bunnymen,The Pixies,Church(whatever band does that amazing song title "under the milky way" i believe is the name ),Peter Hook doing Joy divison albums, even fucking Public Enemy.I feel as we all are too afraid of this unknown or new songs and are wanting familar or "safe/cool" songs to enjoy.
    I think your annoyance at how many songs are about jerking it is valid, but you act as if good, enjoyable rock songs ever have evolved to or how some how necessarily in the current age better because of more developed lyrics/instrumentation, which I just honestly don't think is the case. I certainly don't think there's every been anything "safe/cool" about the Violent Femmes or enjoying their music at any day in age.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Definitely one of the highlights for me over the weekend. My first time seeing them, and they exceeded all expectations. Was great singing along with Tom!

How many of you people have been to a Violent Femmes show before?
    My first time seeing them. Show was so good that if I never get a chance to see them again, I am satisfied. Only regret was not getting their earlier to get a better spot.

It's punk rock. Of course half their songs are about jerking it. The other half is drugs. It's awesome.

Amazing fun set in the middle of a great day.

I got Gordon's autograph.

My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this set and it was even better than I hoped it would be. Perfect setting, too. Too bad they got moved earlier second weekend. Hopefully it doesn't make too much of a difference.

I'm sad I missed "Blister in the Sun" because I was watching Puscifer I think. But I saw the rest of their set. Mainly waiting for that song but I enjoyed hearing "Gone Daddy Gone" and "Add It Up." My friend ranked it his #2 set of the weekend.

Their lyrics are what really stand out to me, ever since hearing "Add It Up." Echoing whoever said it earlier, weird to hear older folks singing that stuff.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

No, Puscifer didn't interfere.

Well, something was ending right when they started. I can't find the W1 set times right now.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Oh yes, you're right. I'm wrong. Everything is cool.

I wonder how much they spent to have a horn section join them for like 2 songs.
    This is actually a longstanding thing. The Horns of Dilemma. They've had lots of famous brass and reed players with them over the years, including John Zorn and Steve Mackay.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****