Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaiser Chiefs Officially Worst Band in Lineup

Default Kaiser Chiefs Officially Worst Band in Lineup

So, last night i saw the Annuals, the Walkmen and the Kaiser Chiefs. I really like the first two, and the third, i figured i'd give it a try since i havent really heard their stuff. Ok, not only are they they worst band i've ever seen (well, except for that one time i had to sit through good charlotte to get to interpol and the foo fighters), but i dont understand why anybody is into them (i'd really appreciate a fan's input here as to why anyone should see them if there is a conflict with a good band/dj).

I mean, two bands (one American and one Scottish) have already done this "schtick" - the Ramones and Franz Ferdinand, and both do/did it so much better than the Kaiser Chiefs it just makes their music seem boring. Also, the lead singer of a band (especially the Kaiser Chiefs) should NEVER say anything like "we are the world famous kaiser chiefs" or "this is a song from our new album - there is no reason why anyone in this crowd shouldnt know all the words to these songs".

Anyways, those are my two cents. I'd be happy to be put in my place if someone can find something redeeming in this band. I left halfway through their set by the way (i've never left a concert early in my life). And for anyone who hasnt seen/heard the annuals, get their cd.

Default Re: Kaiser Chiefs Officially Worst Band in Lineup

thanks for reitering my decision of missing them on sunday C:
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by bludevil007 View Post
    but i dont understand why anybody is into them (i'd really appreciate a fan's input here as to why anyone should see them if there is a conflict with a good band/dj).

I mean, two bands (one American and one Scottish) have already done this "schtick" - the Ramones and Franz Ferdinand, and both do/did it so much better than the Kaiser Chiefs it just makes their music seem boring. Also, the lead singer of a band (especially the Kaiser Chiefs) should NEVER say anything like "we are the world famous kaiser chiefs" or "this is a song from our new album - there is no reason why anyone in this crowd shouldnt know all the words to these songs".
    First of all, I have only heard of the Ramones, however a quick poll of my flatmates tells me I'm right in sayin they were a punk band. How the hell you make the jump from them to FF or KC I don't know.

2.Why do I like them/Why am I going to see them?
    For me the make great sing-a-long songs that fit the brit-pop mould, and they(particularly the lead singer) are helluva energetic onstage. Watch a couple of youtube clips from gigs and you'll see what I mean. Gigs where the band just stand there playing their songs annoy the hell out of me, and it feels like their energy feeds into the crowd.

3. The quotes from them, well, I think you're taking that to mean that they think their superior to you, but really it's just part of the bravado or whatever you want to call it that most lead singers have.

It might be an idea to try and listen to their albums first, because your reaction may just have been a result of the medium you heard them in. It's happened to me a couple of times as well.

And finally, if there was a good band/dj conflicting, why would you want to see them anyway?
    Monkey with a miniature cymbal...

Lurker

When I first ever heard their stuff i thought it was ok, nothing really that special though. Now, after being played and played and played in english clubs etc... I can't stand the songs..so utterly and completely mainstream that it runs circles in my head.

fair enough, could have been the setting. I actually own their first album, have since it came out - never got into it though.

second, if you cant see the punk influence of the ramones in FF or KC then you're deaf. Ramones had the same sort of fast guitar sing-alongs that i heard last night - even though they were obviously much more punk - and they did it much better.

third - you are right about the bravado issue - i know that's what it was and maybe they didnt take themselves that seriously, but it sure came across like bono talking about how "awesome" he is.

As I said, I've never listened to The Ramones, not the biggest punk fan.

Listen to the first album though, it is enjoyable. I'm listening to the second album, don't quite know what to make of it yet.

And that's just unfair comparing Ricky to bono lol.

hahahahaha

yes, i crossed the line there. my bad.

I find them quite whelming, but there is certainly far more blander fodder on at Coachella this year - The Kooks and The Feeling spring to mind.

My only possible criticism of this festival would be the rather mainstream English acts that get booked (Coldplay, Snow Patrol, James Blunt etc) when there is so much better out there.

At least we have Fields this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Not KC biggest fan either. See your point about FF having a Ramones influence but not so much KC as Im not sure whether or not they have heard of them! Now, as I have seen all 3 live, what I did notice was that the FF jump around a bit and so do the KC...also, going to see the Ramones was fantastic, but when on stage felt a bit like watching your grandmother knitting!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    My only possible criticism of this festival would be the rather mainstream English acts that get booked (Coldplay, Snow Patrol, James Blunt etc) when there is so much better out there.

At least we have Fields this year.
    Might that be because the record companies are trying to get them exposed in the US? After all it is the biggest market isn't it, and we all know where their priorities lie...

Fields and Fratelli's, god I hope they don't clash.

laff... and who were the Ramones sounding like? Iggy and the Stooges?

hate when people bitch about a band's sound. everyone is a mashup of their influences, stop trying to pigeonhole everything.

as far as i can recall Kaisers have been charting as long as Franz Ferdinand overseas so claiming a bands that hit the scene at the same time are copping another's sound is pure ignorance.

and fyi Franz is copying Orange Juice more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Now, as I have seen all 3 live, what I did notice was that the FF jump around a bit
    Really? I've seen them at TITP twice and they just stood there, the crowd didn't appear particularly enthralled either. Might have been the timeslot, if I remember right they were on before anyone could get liquored up.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco! View Post
    Might that be because the record companies are trying to get them exposed in the US? After all it is the biggest market isn't it, and we all know where their priorities lie...
    I don't doubt for a second that this is the case - but i still don't think they are a good fit for the festival. They're more like the toss you get at V.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I wasn't a fan of the Ramones, until I saw them in concert in the early 80's, while they were still alive. It was a fantastic & memorable concert. It was REALLY loud - lots of distortion & dirt falling from the theatre's rafters (it was in a 600 seat theatre, way too small for their powerful loudspeakers). I would say that seeing them in person was totally better than listening to their records. I feel sorry for the Ramones fans who never got to see them in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

omg i love the annuals... why arent they at coachella this year?

ya, i love them too. I got a great video of them playing brother last night from about 10 ft from the stage. I'll post it on youtube and give you the link.

Kaiser Chiefs are hardly the worst band in the lineup. I'd interpret the singer's between song banter as tongue-in-cheek chest beating - c'mon he doesn't really think his band is the next U2. The Hives singer acted the same way when I saw them and I figured he did it for the comedic relief that is sorely missing at so many rock shows.

Ruby is a strong single that does sound alot like a Franz Ferdinand single. I won't buy their album, but I'll watch their set at Coachella.
    My favorite band is cooler than your favorite band.

Banned

i have their first cd and its not bad at all. they are not the greatest ever but they have some good songs and i am gonna check thier set out. about 4 songs i have to hear i predict a riot, ruby, everyday i love u less and less and na,na,na,na,na. hopefully becuase this is a big event for them in the u.s (they are big in the uk already), they wil step it up a notch. we shall see.

hey theres pictures up on pitchfork
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the Ramones, until I saw them in concert in the early 80's, while they were still alive. It was a fantastic & memorable concert. It was REALLY loud - lots of distortion & dirt falling from the theatre's rafters (it was in a 600 seat theatre, way too small for their powerful loudspeakers). I would say that seeing them in person was totally better than listening to their records. I feel sorry for the Ramones fans who never got to see them in person.
    I saw the Ramones at CBGBs in the early 70s you could have held up a light bulb in that place and it would have blazed just from the electricity in the air cr***

I would love for somebody to go and take a steaming hot shit on the stage while they are playing that horrendous piece of crap mistaken for a single called "Ruby"
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I would love for somebody to go and take a steaming hot shit on the stage while they are playing that horrendous piece of crap mistaken for a single called "Ruby"

Its taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by English-in-Coachella View Post
    Its taken care of
    YESSSSSSSSSSS

I will be there because Ruby and I predict a riot are great songs. They are a very good band and one of the strongest in the line-up. Fun music, yeah that's terrible stuff. What are you guys, emo boys? Go cut yourselves, you'll feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwalla View Post
    I will be there because Ruby and I predict a riot are great songs. They are a very good band and one of the strongest in the line-up. Fun music, yeah that's terrible stuff. What are you guys, emo boys? Go cut yourselves, you'll feel so much better.
    Nobody is being "emo" you twat, the two songs you mentioned are petty excuses for party anthems by some knob headed Brit pop band that smells of horse shit...go to sleep little boy

Quote Originally Posted by bludevil007 View Post
    Also, the lead singer of a band (especially the Kaiser Chiefs) should NEVER say anything like "we are the world famous kaiser chiefs" or "this is a song from our new album - there is no reason why anyone in this crowd shouldnt know all the words to these songs".
    Google the term "tongue in cheek."
    The Finest in Elegant Flamboyance

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Von Sexron View Post
    Google the term "tongue in cheek."
    derelicte my balls capitan

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Nobody is being "emo" you twat, the two songs you mentioned are petty excuses for party anthems by some knob headed Brit pop band that smells of horse shit...go to sleep little boy
    I think I am going to take a hot steaming shit on your head
    You act like an all knowing authority on music when if fact you know squat. There should be a special tent at Coachella for narrow minded mental midgets like you.

You don't even play, do you poser boy?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwalla View Post
    I think I am going to take a hot steaming shit on your head
    You act like an all knowing authority on music when if fact you know squat. There should be a special tent at Coachella for narrow minded mental midgets like you.

You don't even play, do you poser boy?
    Ewwwww you play an instrument and you like Kaiser Chief singles, I better go in my room and close the door...that comment officially made YOU the biggest "poser" on this board, If I remember you called me "emo" and advised me to "go cut myself" because I wanted to take a shit on the Kaiser Cheifs, their not my cup of tea, accept it pussyboy.

I think the Franz Ferdinand and Ramones link is completely irrelevant. The Ramones, if they do have an influence on Franz, is very minimal at most. I think Franz has more of an American influence from bands like The Strokes. I also think that Franz might have a more big band influence because of the way the vocals are sometimes.

Listen to Blur, that is a band obviously influenced by punk rock. Then compare it to Franz Ferdinand.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****